HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How would you rate the teams in the West?

Old
03-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Mikeshane
Glass Bangers Rock

vCash: 500
Tier 1:
Chicago
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Tier 2:
Minnesota
St.Louis
Vancouver
Detroit

Tier 3:
San Jose
Phoenix
Nashville
Dallas

Tier 4:
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado
Columbus

Tough call for Dallas and Detroit but I gave them both the benefit of the doubt.

Mikeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
That's fine if you feel that way but people much smarter than us who make a lot of money knowing the game will have both ANA and CHI as significant favorites.
What? you clearly aren't 1 of those people then. The smart people would be loading up on the Kings as Vegas would have them as significant underdogs whereas their value would be closer to evens

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
What? you clearly aren't 1 of those people then. The smart people would be loading up on the Kings as Vegas would have them as significant underdogs whereas their value would be closer to evens
Because they built that city on putting up bad lines. You yourself just admitted the kings would be underdogs. That was my point.

But OMGZ the kings are just as good as the hawks because they've shown the can win in the playoffs... Join the club.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Still miss Vermette

pretty much what everyone else has said

Tier 1:
Hawks
Ducks

Tier 2:
Wild
Kings
Blue

Tier 3:
Nucks
Wings
Yotes
Preds
Stars

Tier 4:
The Rest

Still miss Vermette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Are we talking based on their play right now or with a fully healthy roster?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Derp Kassian

Canucks are in tier 2 with Kesler and if LA gets healthy/better goaltending there is no one better in the West.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:09 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
This season, I don't see how Columbus can be in the bottom tier. 2 points out of a playoff spot, with one of the hottest streaks in the league. Early in the season they had a lot of injuries, just the majority don't pay attention to Columbus (sorry, it's the truth). IMO

1.Ducks
2.Hawks

3.Wild
4.Kings

5.Canucks
6.Blues

7-14.Everyone Else

15. Forwards + Pylons + Baboon

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:16 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

I'm a Kings fan, but there's almost no chance LA could beat the Ducks or Hawks in a playoff series with Muzzin, Ellerby and Martinez on the backend. If Mitchell and Greene were healthy, I think it's reasonable to think LA would be in the tier 1 group of teams.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Baboon
Is this some kind of weird nickname for Varlamov?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Separate from the pack? What standings are you looking at? Blues are two points behind you and only six points from being out of the playoffs.

Nobody is separating from the rest of the West besides Anaheim and Chicago.
When you consider a week ago 4 points was separating 3-12 it is getting larger. We're now up to a whole 7.
But there is not much separation that's for sure.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:33 AM
NastiMarvasti

This is just silly to me. People are basing everything on roughly 30 regular season games and acting like the Hawks and Ducks are locks for the WCF. Shouldn't we all know better by now? And call me when BB figures out how to coach in the playoffs. And how are either of those teams a significant favorite if they played the defending champions in the playoffs like someone suggested? A healthy Kings team in the playoffs is still the best team in the west.

NastiMarvasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Still miss Vermette

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
This is just silly to me. People are basing everything on roughly 30 regular season games and acting like the Hawks and Ducks are locks for the WCF. Shouldn't we all know better by now? And call me when BB figures out how to coach in the playoffs. And how are either of those teams a significant favorite if they played the defending champions in the playoffs like someone suggested? A healthy Kings team in the playoffs is still the best team in the west.
And what are you basing you're prediction off of, a 20 game playoff run? Right now Hawks and Ducks > Kings if they meet in the playoffs. Those two teams have just been simply better.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:44 AM
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still miss Vermette View Post
And what are you basing you're prediction off of, a 20 game playoff run? Right now Hawks and Ducks > Kings if they meet in the playoffs. Those two teams have just been simply better.
Are we not talking about who would win in the PLAYOFFS? I think 20 playoff games is a better indicator of who would do better in a playoff series than 30 regular season games. Until proven otherwise, the Kings are still the team to beat.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Still miss Vermette

Quote:
Are we not talking about who would win in the PLAYOFFS? I think 20 playoff games is a better indicator of who would do better in a playoff series than 30 regular season games. Until proven otherwise, the Kings are still the team to beat.
Being the defending cup champions doesn't automatically make the Kings the team to beat. There are two teams in the West who have lost 3 regulation games each, are currently 12 and 15 points ahead of anyone else, and they also are a +28 and +36 in goal differential. They are running away with the conference and are the team to beat.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:49 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I think that's a different issue as playoff hockey is a completely different animal... everything changes come playoffs.

This thread is more about how you would rate the teams based on their play thus far this season. That's why Chicago and Anaheim are the only tier 1 teams... only 3 regulation losses has definitely separated them from the rest.

I already posted earlier that in a 7 game series I would pick LA over Anaheim at this point, but you can't deny that Anaheim has played better overall thus far this season.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 AM
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think that's a different issue as playoff hockey is a completely different animal... everything changes come playoffs.

This thread is more about how you would rate the teams based on their play thus far this season. That's why Chicago and Anaheim are the only tier 1 teams... only 3 regulation losses has definitely separated them from the rest.

I already posted earlier that in a 7 game series I would pick LA over Anaheim at this point, but you can't deny that Anaheim has played better overall thus far this season.
That's why I said these types of threads are silly. If we just want to talk about who's played the best so far this season, why not just look at the standings?

Old
03-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Taze em

Quote:
The hawks have won in the playoffs.

I can toss out ridiculous but true reasons the kings aren't the team to beat like... No team has won back to back Stanley cups since 98. If you can discount 30 games this season where the hawks and ducks have clearly been better, I can discount the kings for having won last year.

Bad logic.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:56 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
That's why I said these types of threads are silly. If we just want to talk about who's played the best so far this season, why not just look at the standings?
The standings don't show the separation yet that splitting teams into tiers can do.

Only 2pts split the Wild and Vancouver, but these are two teams clearly going in different directions right now. They are at different levels IMO.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still miss Vermette View Post
Being the defending cup champions doesn't automatically make the Kings the team to beat. There are two teams in the West who have lost 3 regulation games each, are currently 12 and 15 points ahead of anyone else, and they also are a +28 and +36 in goal differential. They are running away with the conference and are the team to beat.
And I can give you plenty of examples of dominant regular season teams failing miserably in the playoffs.

Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Because this is a discussion board, and sometimes there is a little bit more to it than just the standings?

Is the part you take offense to the rankings that have two teams ahead of yours?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:57 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.
Anaheim and Chicago haven't even lost 5 regulation games all season

I would agree there's an argument for them in tier one......

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

Don't know why everyone is putting them a tier below but I don't think the gap between the Canucks or LA is a tier below teams like the Wild and the Blues. It's like a 2 point difference right now IIRC

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
And I can give you plenty of examples of dominant regular season teams failing miserably in the playoffs.
And there are no examples of a Cup-winning team failing to repeat, right?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:58 AM
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
The hawks have won in the playoffs.

I can toss out ridiculous but true reasons the kings aren't the team to beat like... No team has won back to back Stanley cups since 98. If you can discount 30 games this season where the hawks and ducks have clearly been better, I can discount the kings for having won last year.

Bad logic.
Not really discounting. Just think it's funny how people are convinced it'll be a Hawks/Ducks WCF simply cuz they've had regular seasons so far. It happens every year. And the Hawks team is very different from the one that won 3 years ago.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:59 AM
NastiMarvasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
And there are no examples of a Cup-winning team failing to repeat, right?
Not saying there aren't. You're twisting my words.