HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 04:04 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Justin Schultz = Joe Corvo
Taylor Hall = Brendan Morrow
Jordan Eberle and RNH are overrated.

Im sure there is more but it I try to avoid the obvious trolling.

But it is really almost impossible when everyone takes the bait and quotes your ridiculous comps. It probably doesnt help that you have three or four times more posts than the next closest poster in this thread, or that even after a win, you continually disparage our most promising young players.
And you my friend are making generalizations, and just plain lying.

Justin Schultz right now = Joe Corvo (40pt defenseman with poor ES play)
Taylor Hall's hands = Brendan Morrow's

And I've never said Eberle/RNH are overrated. I feel RNH is perpetually underrated. I feel Eberle over-produced last season, but that's a different story - I still feel he's the most expendable young piece we have going forward.

I'm not being a negative nancy - I'm seeing great things from Hall/MPS/Gagner of late and have been quick to note it as well. But I'm going to call a spade a spade when I see one. Justin Schultz is not a top-4 defenseman right now. If you feel he is then you're fooling yourself.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
"Playing against these guys is kind of like a measuring stick for myself to see where my game is.
Its fun to play like this." Logan Couture on the post game show.
But as mentioned theres one big difference. Couture is staring at Dubnyk and our shooters are going toe to toe with a real live NHL number 1 goalie. Thats it, its that simple.

Hall, Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Yak would beat Dubnyk for fun. Just like Couture did tonight. Just like Couture regularly does against us, because we regularly have **** in net.

Sometimes gotta stop and think that WE are the team that now has the gunslingers and shooters getting stoned by good goalies. When we're trading chances we should be good, and should be owning. Except for our goaltending which is matching up on few nights.

If we want to make a push its time to sit Dubnyk for awhile who has been flubbing games on a regular basis. Responsible for all 3 GA tonight and got owned in the Shootout. Curiously Dubnyk played well when it was 3-3. He's one strange inconsistent bugger and thats never going away.

Fact of the matter in the most important position in the game you can't have a guy in the cage solely responsible for an average one GA/G. Theres far too much parity and thats going to be the margin of W/L on most nights.

Absolutely we were the better club tonight and win this game if goaltending was equal.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But as mentioned theres one big difference. Couture is staring at Dubnyk and our shooters are going toe to toe with a real live NHL number 1 goalie. Thats it, its that simple.

Hall, Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Yak would beat Dubnyk for fun. Just like Couture did tonight. Just like Couture regularly does against us, because we regularly have **** in net.

Sometimes gotta stop and think that WE are the team that now has the gunslingers and shooters getting stoned by good goalies. When we're trading chances we should be good, and should be owning. Except for our goaltending which is matching up on few nights.

If we want to make a push its time to sit Dubnyk for awhile who has been flubbing games on a regular basis. Responsible for all 3 GA tonight and got owned in the Shootout. Curiously Dubnyk played well when it was 3-3. He's one strange inconsistent bugger and thats never going away.

Fact of the matter in the most important position in the game you can't have a guy in the cage solely responsible for an average one GA/G. Theres far too much parity and thats going to be the margin of W/L on most nights.

Absolutely we were the better club tonight and win this game if goaltending was equal.
So he's responsible when Fistric kicks it into his own net? And when Petrell deflects it into his own net? Did you watch the game?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
And you my friend are making generalizations, and just plain lying.

Justin Schultz right now = Joe Corvo (40pt defenseman with poor ES play)
Taylor Hall's hands/skillset = Brendan Morrow's

And I've never said Eberle/RNH are overrated. I feel RNH is perpetually underrated. I feel Eberle over-produced last season, but that's a different story - I still feel he's the most expendable young piece we have going forward.

I'm not being a negative nancy - I'm seeing great things from Hall/MPS/Gagner of late and have been quick to note it as well. But I'm going to call a spade a spade when I see one. Justin Schultz is not a top-4 defenseman right now. If you feel he is then you're fooling yourself.
Your first post in this thread says it all doesnt it? If that isnt a professional troll job then Bob's your uncle. That along with your tired anti Hall schtick and anything else you can think of to get a rise out of Oiler fans is quite sad actually.

I had an inkling of who you really were but the bolded is a phrase I have heard coined many times by someone many here were/are familiar with. You used to say Hall had a second line ceiling, but now he has been downgraded to a third liner.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7#post61555947

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=152

Least skilled 1st overall since Patrick Stefan. That really is something.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So he's responsible when Fistric kicks it into his own net? And when Petrell deflects it into his own net? Did you watch the game?
Yeah I watched the game. So did everybody else that is disagreeing with you.

Dubs is very guilty on that first goal of being down for the count on his pads and overcommitted and not guarding the net as he should. If you note the reason two other players are trying to play goal is because Dubnyk isn't. Its inconceivable for a goalie that is down on his pads as much as he how little width of the cage he covers with his long legs. He has every physical give and a 10 cent brain. Not enough sense to position full butterfly and cover as much net as possible if he's going to be down.

Second goal same thing. Dubs is swimming and over committed on his pads (something that teams are now scouting and noting because does it way too much and telegraphs doing it. Its gotten to the point that if the puck is even deep in the Oilers end theres dubnyk down on his pads and nobodies even shot the puck. All you gotta do is pick a corner, go high, you always know where Dubs is. I'm telling you several of our players would be schooling Dubnyk. It would be brutal to see.

3rd goal Dubnyk loses his posts and angle. He gets beat shortside. Basically because he's giving up 2 feet shortside. He's totally lost on the play and if you look at it closely he has the entire wrong set being way too far too his left. Theres no way any goalie intends to give up that much room shortside/stickside. He simply had no idea where the goal post was and it was a brutal set, therefore he got beat easy by the shot.

He sucked in the shootout as well. Not sure what else there is..

Old
03-21-2013, 04:40 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Yes we watched the game. And yes Dubnyk is responsible to some degree no matter how the puck goes in the net. Everyone else on the ice has multiple tasks to attend to ... Dubnyk has only one.

I'll suggest that the first Sharks goal was not Dubnyk's fault, but the second (he had a chance to smother the puck and failed, never recovered his position) and third (terrible short side goal that just should never beat an NHL netminder) were mostly his fault. And that doesn't even allow for the way he gets beat like a rented mule in shootouts. Boyle must have laughed all the way to the airport.

Dubnyk (career) 24 goals on 65 shots.
Niemi (career) 29 goals on 119 shots.

I will say that is so sickening to watch the Oiler defencemen down on their knees in the crease or just outside the crease trying to block shots and/or smother loose pucks. Its like these guys forgot why the game is played with sticks. Smid in particular is getting worse and worse for doing this and Fistric likely caused the first goal by scrabbling around on the ice like an idiot, and totally blocking Dubnyk's view of the play, instead of staying on his feet and taking a man.

Seriously .... go watch the reply of the third goal. Every Oiler on the ice was disgusted when that went in. Not sure which is more embarrassing, having a starter who routinely lets in stuff like that, or having fans who routinely make excuses for the guy who keeps letting in shots like that.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

One thing I can't figure out is why Krueger insists on changing up the lines when were ahead in the third . Its bit us in the ass every time and yet he continues to employ the fail, is he stubborn or just plain ignorant?

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Your first post in this thread says it all doesnt it? If that isnt a professional troll job then Bob's your uncle. That along with your tired anti Hall schtick and anything else you can think of to get a rise out of Oiler fans is quite sad actually.

I had an inkling of who you really were but the bolded is a phrase I have heard coined many times by someone many here were/are familiar with. You used to say Hall had a second line ceiling, but now he has been downgraded to a third liner.

His posts remind me of someone who frequently posts comments on Oil nation to get a rise out of Oil fans .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
One thing I can't figure out is why Krueger insists on changing up the lines when were ahead in the third . Its bit us in the ass every time and yet he continues to employ the fail, is he stubborn or just plain ignorant?
It'd be one thing if Smyth were 10 years younger, he's not. So we put old man winter on lines that he has no business being on. Play our lines the way that they normally do, they score the 3-2 goal then tell our team to go and get it back. **** this "protect the lead at all costs" BS. Extend the lead, make them press to try to tie it and then counter punch.

03-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It'd be one thing if Smyth were 10 years younger, he's not. So we put old man winter on lines that he has no business being on. Play our lines the way that they normally do, they score the 3-2 goal then tell our team to go and get it back. **** this "protect the lead at all costs" BS. Extend the lead, make them press to try to tie it and then counter punch.
ftr Krueger in every media outlet in the city is loudly denying ANY mention or suggestion that the players should sit back. He wants them to attack. To continue to aggressively push the game.

But young players panic, start getting nervous, and stop moving their feet. What I notice a lot in the 3rd periods is a lot of players guilty of watching the play and freezing. So in puck battles that we win in first two periods we lose in 3rd as young players tend to get mesmerized with game on the line pressure.

With RNH out, and Hall looking white as a ghost there wasn't much hope in keeping all lines humming tonight.

Hall looked just ill by the second and third periods. Quite a trooper but probably shouldn't have played.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:

Does that beat

Quote:
Everyone in our bottom-6 and Taylor Hall have Marchant-esque finishing ability
or

Quote:
Marchant was getting spoon-fed offensive time the way Hall was.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:11 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

I was at the game and I noticed that in OT the D was being ultra conservative so the offence couldn't really keep sustained pressure. They would only try to score off of the rush. IMO that says to me they don't have confidence in their goalie to make the big save when they need it.

This is a problem.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
ftr Krueger in every media outlet in the city is loudly denying ANY mention or suggestion that the players should sit back. He wants them to attack. To continue to aggressively push the game.

But young players panic, start getting nervous, and stop moving their feet. What I notice a lot in the 3rd periods is a lot of players guilty of watching the play and freezing. So in puck battles that we win in first two periods we lose in 3rd as young players tend to get mesmerized with game on the line pressure.

With RNH out, and Hall looking white as a ghost there wasn't much hope in keeping all lines humming tonight.

Hall looked just ill by the second and third periods. Quite a trooper but probably shouldn't have played.
A damn shame that RNH sat out with "the sniffles" eh? These kids all want to turn their fortunes around and I simply don't buy that RNH would've been anything less than sick as hell to sit this one out. Had RNH played IMO we would've won this game, that 4 minute PP wouldn't have gone by as uneventful as it did with a fresh RNH and Gagner out there. Nice shot by Gagner on the goal and the one where he caught iron. I had hoped that he'd pass it to Paajarvi for the onetimer, but he just missed that one and had the goalie beat so it's hard to fault him on that one.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
A damn shame that RNH sat out with "the sniffles" eh? These kids all want to turn their fortunes around and I simply don't buy that RNH would've been anything less than sick as hell to sit this one out. Had RNH played IMO we would've won this game, that 4 minute PP wouldn't have gone by as uneventful as it did with a fresh RNH and Gagner out there. Nice shot by Gagner on the goal and the one where he caught iron. I had hoped that he'd pass it to Paajarvi for the onetimer, but he just missed that one and had the goalie beat so it's hard to fault him on that one.
I was pleased with the team effort today. Hall definitely something was wrong. But heres the deal, they still play him 22mins in a game where he looks like he's bringing up his cookies. Man I couldn't do that. I'm a 200lb baby when I'm sick.

Far as Gagner he was on fire tonight. Almost strange that he only got the one goal. Miss timed on his first one timer in 1st period, doesn't finish another in close chance, then scores the goal on a howitzer, then almost wins the game on another howitzer, then almost scores on a brilliant backhand which confused Niemi. He didn't have a clue where it was. For Gagner to even get a scoring chance off a 1 on 2 nothing rush was amazing.

Sam was really feeling it tonight. He also setup Yak and Paajarvi a few times tonight. On Paajarvi's best chance his stick exploded.

Gagner was involved in no less than 8 serious scoring chances tonight. Man you pretty much guarantee getting a goal or point when you're putting that body of work up.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
I was at the game and I noticed that in OT the D was being ultra conservative so the offence couldn't really keep sustained pressure. They would only try to score off of the rush. IMO that says to me they don't have confidence in their goalie to make the big save when they need it.

This is a problem.
A lot of the odd decisions you see around the net and D's and forwards goaltending is a direct result of lack of faith in the actual goalie.

You rarely saw this kind of thing with Roloson. You saw it a lot with Conklin. This is like flashback to Conkannen days.

Its overcompensation. First goal happens because Dubs is down and out and over committed to one side, and he's shown to be helpless once he's down. He's out of position. If he's in his proper set its not a goal, and you don't have Fistric, Gagner, etc trying to play goal there.

This is textbook players not having faith in the goalie getting it done. I saw Stoll and good Horcoff making these kind of mistakes with Conklin in net.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:39 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 634
Quote:
A lot of the odd decisions you see around the net and D's and forwards goaltending is a direct result of lack of faith in the actual goalie.

You rarely saw this kind of thing with Roloson. You saw it a lot with Conklin. This is like flashback to Conkannen days.

Its overcompensation. First goal happens because Dubs is down and out and over committed to one side, and he's shown to be helpless once he's down. He's out of position. If he's in his proper set its not a goal, and you don't have Fistric, Gagner, etc trying to play goal there.

This is textbook players not having faith in the goalie getting it done. I saw Stoll and good Horcoff making these kind of mistakes with Conklin in net.
DD is thinking too much or thinking too little --whatever he is doing. his mental problem became more obvious last night

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
shogun99

I know Krueger claims that the team isn't instructed to sit on the lead in the third. If that's the case why do we change up the lines that got us the lead to sit the rookies and double shift the fourth line?

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I know Krueger claims that the team isn't instructed to sit on the lead in the third. If that's the case why do we change up the lines that got us the lead to sit the rookies and double shift the fourth line?
Yeah it's pretty blatant.

It seriously seems like management has told him to do anything in his power to remain in the playoff hunt, but make sure they are in the lottery at the end of the year.

In the playoff hunt=nobody gets fired and fans stay interested.
In the draft lotto=Tambo can avoid any real work and discuss a rookie instead of how terrible he is at his job.

Obviously that's an absurd accusation, but nothing on this team makes sense anymore.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

go get some defensemen and a goalie already ffs.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Chef10

we need a number 1 goalie and i am just angry we lost that game! i dont get how we play! yaks didnt play the last 10 mins of the game and at all in OT or even in the shoot out. i dont get how we always have the same 3 shooters maybe switch that stuff up seeings how we have some many players who can take then in the shoot out. we need to learn how to finish games off that is something we lack, for an 80's reference we need the eye of the tiger!!! we have the eye of the mouse any sign of the other team toughing up we scurry off and get trapped in our end and the wheels fall off.

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I didn't think this loss was Krueger's fault at all. I thought the team played pretty well but had they're usual mental breakdowns. Their top end talent on defense is poor. Guys can't handle the heavy minutes and tend to have their lapses, especially towards the end of the game.

And yes I would've liked to see Yakupov more sure, so he didn't get more ice time, but he didn't let those 2 goals in. I thought Whitney's dumb penalty was the TSN turning point. Also, Smitty and the bottom pairing D suck. Dubynk had to stop that 3rd goal as well.

Just a few concentrated moments where you're off your game is all it takes.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
go get some defensemen and a goalie already ffs.
Ugh for **** sakes.

Dubnyk wasn't great, but to pin this on him now is stupid.

This team still isn't good enough, they are "battling" for the playoffs, but clearly not a playoff team yet.

I want to see out of this loss:

1. Changes, the Oilers have picks and prospect, time to get better. Belanger doesn't care, Smyth is Done and the blueline isn't good enough, improve this. It doesn't have to be a Massive move, but something that changes the dynamic. I look at Florida, they have what the Oilers need to make that change

The Nuge's importance, even when he's not scoring, is pretty massive, the Oilers went from have Balance that was tough for the Sharks to match to having to make Jordan Eberle useless.

Not good enough, but this team really isn't yet, and that's the reality.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:

haven't checked out the thread yet, and only watched the third period,
but this is about the best (and nicest) way to explain the the 3rd and OT.

Oilers are the not ready for prime time players. sorry for all you people who got overly excited about a meaningful March game. the oilers folded for you in the 3rd period.
the only time I wasn't expecting a goal against the Oilers the whole time was when Hall was on the ice.
It would also be nice if DD would make a big save in the 3rd period to protect a lead. he does have a 10 cent head and horrible positioning.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Jordan Eberle and RNH are overrated.

Im sure there is more but it I try to avoid the obvious trolling.
It's obvious both are playing through injuries.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

When your entire team is trying to play net then yeah, your goalie sucks

He's a clueless retard, fumbling with the matches while the rest of his team sits in the dark.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline   Reply With Quote