HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

TUF 17: Sonnen v Jones

Old
03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Both are meh choices for the Wildcard.

I don't want Bubba to win anything. Takes more than a crooked hat and some ink to be an MMA fighter.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Bubba starts mean mugging and talking smack after Casey doesn't answer the bell? I hope Uriah Hall knocks him out.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:13 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Bubba starts mean mugging and talking smack after Casey doesn't answer the bell? I hope Uriah Hall knocks him out.
Saying he broke him etc. really ticked me off. Pretty obvious that Casey's body just couldn't handle it for whatever reason. Not that he willingly said "I don't want to fight anymore". The guy couldn't even walk. He was the loudest,most arrogant winner, yet he originally lost to the most inexperienced fighter, and basically won by default in this one.. I hope Hall knocks his block off, seemed like Bubba wasn't too happy with the pick while Samman was happier than a pig in **** not to fight Hall. Seems to me like the only guys avoiding/trying to avoid fights are Bubba and Samman. They've both been so worried about matchups since it started. Just ****ing fight. Prove your the best, not that you can take the easy road.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:25 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Pretty confident that Uriah is going to demolish Bubba.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Saying he broke him etc. really ticked me off. Pretty obvious that Casey's body just couldn't handle it for whatever reason. Not that he willingly said "I don't want to fight anymore". The guy couldn't even walk. He was the loudest,most arrogant winner, yet he originally lost to the most inexperienced fighter, and basically won by default in this one.. I hope Hall knocks his block off, seemed like Bubba wasn't too happy with the pick while Samman was happier than a pig in **** not to fight Hall. Seems to me like the only guys avoiding/trying to avoid fights are Bubba and Samman. They've both been so worried about matchups since it started. Just ****ing fight. Prove your the best, not that you can take the easy road.
Have you ever been in a mixed martial arts fight man? One fight puts tremendous wear and tear on your body, much less 4 fights in 6 weeks. I don't blame Samman and Bubba at all. If you listen to Chael on the Joe Rogan Experience, you hear his take on it and it's identical. Do you think if, hypothetically, Team Canada had won their Olympic semifinal, and Switzerland was playing the Americans in the other? Do you think they'd be praying the States would win so they could "prove that they're the best"? **** no. They'd be ecstatic if Switzerland won because then they'd be more likely to win. Same principle, only magnified due to injuries.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Pretty confident that Uriah is going to demolish Bubba.
Yeah, looking at the current bracket, I'd be surprised if it didn't turn out something like this:

Uriah Hall vs. Bubba Daniels
Josh Samman vs. Jimmy Quinlan
Colin Hart vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Luke Barnatt vs. Dylan Andrews (Easily the closest matchup, though)

I'd assume, then, that the next two matches would be
Uriah Hall vs. Colin Hart
Josh Samman vs. Luke Barnatt

Leaving the finale as Hall vs. Samman. Hall and Samman are already appearing in advertisements for NOS during TUF, and have gotten easily the most screen time. I'd be shocked if they weren't the final two. Pretty happy about that, because it's a compelling matchup between two guys who could actually make waves in their decision.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
m9

vCash: 500
Bubba got the fight he deserved. The wild card winner should get the top guy, and in this case it's obviously Hall.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Have you ever been in a mixed martial arts fight man? One fight puts tremendous wear and tear on your body, much less 4 fights in 6 weeks. I don't blame Samman and Bubba at all. If you listen to Chael on the Joe Rogan Experience, you hear his take on it and it's identical. Do you think if, hypothetically, Team Canada had won their Olympic semifinal, and Switzerland was playing the Americans in the other? Do you think they'd be praying the States would win so they could "prove that they're the best"? **** no. They'd be ecstatic if Switzerland won because then they'd be more likely to win. Same principle, only magnified due to injuries.
I could care less. It's a competition. If you think you're the best, prove it.. Plain and simple, don't think I've ever seen an ultimate fighter where the fighters tried to so hard to control their own fights and take the easiest ones. Like I said, for the most part it's only Samman and Bubba trying to do so anyways. Everyone else is content with fighting whoever is put in front of them.

Also it just rubbed me the wrong way how Samman went on about Chael and everyone else trying to avoid bad matchups when that was precisely what he was doing.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:04 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I dislike Bubba, but I'm glad to see Kevin Casey lose again. For those who don't know, he was training at a Gracie Academy a few years ago and decided to promote HIMSELF to black belt. What's worse is that he did it so he could have the authority to award his friend Spencer Pratt (of The Hills fame) a purple belt. I believe Kron Gracie came in and challenged Casey to roll since they were both black belts, Gracie dismantled him and Casey got kicked out of the academy. He has since returned after making up with Rickson, but still... What a tool.

And for major irony points, here's a song of his called No Surrender.

-----

Here's my prediction:

Uriah Hall vs. Bubba McDaniel
Luke Barnatt vs. Dylan Andrews

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I dislike Bubba, but I'm glad to see Kevin Casey lose again. For those who don't know, he was training at a Gracie Academy a few years ago and decided to promote HIMSELF to black belt. What's worse is that he did it so he could have the authority to award his friend Spencer Pratt (of The Hills fame) a purple belt. I believe Kron Gracie came in and challenged Casey to roll since they were both black belts, Gracie dismantled him and Casey got kicked out of the academy. He has since returned after making up with Rickson, but still... What a tool.

And for major irony points, here's a song of his called No Surrender.

-----

Here's my prediction:

Uriah Hall vs. Bubba McDaniel
Luke Barnatt vs. Dylan Andrews
How would someone do that?

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Yeah I find both him and Bubba to be quite unlikable. You see them in interviews and then they get in the cage and essentially back none of it up. Bubba's in big trouble against Urijah. I understand how having one guy from each team was fair, but I would've preferred to see Clint in there.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Yeah I find both him and Bubba to be quite unlikable. You see them in interviews and then they get in the cage and essentially back none of it up. Bubba's in big trouble against Urijah. I understand how having one guy from each team was fair, but I would've preferred to see Clint in there.
Yeah I think Clint deserved it more than Bubba, he actually looked good in his fight until the tap out, Uriah will easily beat Bubba, and I hope Jimmy will beat Josh can't stand him either.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
I think everyone would've preferred Clint. Jones' justification on choosing Bubba is because he trained in MMA for a while(ie since I know the guy).

What I don't get is why not just choose 2 guys from the loser pool instead of 1 guy from each team. Clint vs. Bubba would've been a more acceptable fight, and if Clint won(which I suspect would've happened), it would've been a better scenario.

03-21-2013, 03:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I want to see Bubba quit on the stool.

After the first round.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:33 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I think everyone would've preferred Clint. Jones' justification on choosing Bubba is because he trained in MMA for a while(ie since I know the guy).

What I don't get is why not just choose 2 guys from the loser pool instead of 1 guy from each team. Clint vs. Bubba would've been a more acceptable fight, and if Clint won(which I suspect would've happened), it would've been a better scenario.
What I want to know is what did Bubba do to deserve any consideration at all? Besides train with Jones?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I've watched every season of TUF and it's often really hard not to feel empathy for some of these fighters.

All their school of hard knocks stories. How bad their lives have been. How tuff they had it growing up. How fighting is all they really have and know. How they want more for their kids than they had growing up.

They spend most of their time regretting the past, working menial jobs, under-training for fights, buying tattoos, and owing people money. They talk all the trash in the world only to be let down by their own cardio training during the fight and get pissed off at Dana White for not seeing how bad they really want it.

This is one crazy business. I can't imagine the characters Dana has met in his travels.

Too me it's just entertainment and I sure as hell am glad it's not the path I chose.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Peter Griffin

Two good fights tonight, nasty KO by Kelvin. Does he remind anyone else of a really young Dan Henderson? Judging from the previews of next weeks show it looks like Bubba might be *****ing out against Urijah. Hope he does, would much rather see Hester fight Urijah.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:10 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Kelvin is definitely my favorite guy on the show. He seems like a real friendly guy, and has a ton of potential. A lot of the times when I see an MMA fighter doing combowork on the pads it's pretty ugly, but he was throwing some pretty tight 4-6 pieces in his training. Quick, powerful and tight. That definitely paid off in the fight because I'm pretty sure the big shot he landed was the 4th punch in a very quick combo. He's still very raw but his ground game looked solid against Bubba, and he's still so young. Of course, better strikers will make him pay for being hittable, and I question Collin's gameplan of standing and banging with him when Collin seems to be a grappler.

Dylan... Wow. First off, I loved how little space he gave Luke every time he tried to scramble. Luke wanted that space and separation and Dylan would drive his shoulder right into Luke's chest or stomach and really bullied those scrambles - that's why he was able to drive through him so frequently. Credit to Luke for being offensive off his back both with strikes and grappling, and major props to the judges as Dana noted. But that third round, holy ****. They played up the whole "spiritual warrior" angle with Dylan and Jones' trainer for good reason. When he was bombing forward he really looked like a man possessed.

Overall, a really good episode. It was cool having Rousey and Tyson there. Also, Carlos Condit was sitting next to Dana watching the fights - you could see him sometimes when they did the reaction shots.

Now, I hope Jimmy Quinlan and Uriah win. Or at least assuming Uriah is still facing Bubba - it looks like Bubba might back out of the fight and Clint may have to step in... If that's the case, I'm not sure who I want to win.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:32 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
LOL @ Bubba.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I think Bubba will fight and then get his ass kicked honestly.

He talks **** after his last fight and then gets immediately scared and now may quit cause of the fact he faces Uriah? You will never be a UFC fighter with that lack of mental stability.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
I'm an Aussie, so it was great to see a Pom get KO'd (though I really liked Luke as a fighter).

I really don't like Bubba. Seems like a fake tough-guy, and he's already *****ing about having to fight Uriah.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Bubba is such a *****

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
What an awesome episode. I thought Dylan won the first two rounds so it was nice to see him get that finish, although I predicted Luke before it started. Can't wait for next week's fights.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
m9

I hate Bubba and wanted him to get knocked out, and I STILL felt bad for him getting killed like that. Just a sick punch.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I hate Bubba and wanted him to get knocked out, and I STILL felt bad for him getting killed like that. Just a sick punch.
Same here. I think Dana said it best when he he said you almost feel bad clapping when Urijah KO's these guys. Just vicious.

And no surprise Dana didn't put Josh against Urijah, he obviously wants those two in the finale.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote