HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek cleared Waivers in AHL

Old
03-21-2013, 01:05 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Komisarek initiated move, wants to play: Nonis

http://blogs.canoe.ca/leafsnow/gener...to-play-nonis/

Quote:
Mike Komisarek just wants to play hockey again.

Whether it is with the Maple Leafs, another NHL team or with the Toronto Marlies, it does not matter.

“He initiated it,” general manager David Nonis said of defenceman’s decision to waive his no-movement clause.

“Our last conversation, he said he wanted to play and be in a position where he is ready to play. He wanted to get in game situations and I have to give him a lot of credit for it. He could have said he was going to play it out this year and worry about it later. He has had a very positive outlook, and if he does clear, he is very excited about getting back. He has talked about helping our young kids and getting his own game as honed as he can.”

Komisarek has not played since Feb. 2 and was a healthy scratch for 21 consecutive games before he was placed on waivers on Wednesday. Komisarek did not play in a 4-2 Leafs win against Tampa Bay, and if he clears waivers at noon on Thursday, he will report to the Marlies.

Nonis acknowledged he has tried to trade Komisarek, but the 31-year-old’s inactivity and $4.5-million US salary cap hit next season have got in the way.

“I have had teams talk to us about him, but the fit has not made sense money-wise,” Nonis said. “But I believe Mike is an NHL defenceman. It may not be a situation where it works here, ultimately, but I don’t think you have seen the last of him in the league, either.

“I know what Mike is thinking, which is probably, ‘Who wants to pick up a player who has not played a game in a long time?’ He has worked very hard in practice. A lot of players don’t tend to think that way (to waive the no-movement clause). They don’t think it is the right thing to do. I have to give him a lot of credit for how he approached it.”

Does Nonis think Komisarek will get claimed by another team?

“You never know,” Nonis said. “I don’t know what is going to happen. Given we have been in a position to trade him for a while, I would not be surprised if he cleared. But if he doesn’t, he is excited to get playing, whether it is here or at Ricoh (Coliseum).”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:09 AM
achtungbaby

If they weren't going to play this guy, why not just buy him out under the same amnesty Gomez and Redden got? Did Nonis think they'd get something for him? They'd have done him a favour by buying him out. He'd be a lot cheaper to other teams. Is Nonis saving his two buyouts?

achtungbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:28 AM
rdawg1234

Deserves to play, but moreso at the 1-2 million range, he is not a top 4 d-man right now, a decent top 6 guy for sure at a cheap cost though.

4.5m is just way too big of a cap hit for any team given his play, definitely will be amnestied in the offseason.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:07 AM
thunderhawk905

Kudos to Nonis on this one. They're paying attention to the fact that Komi wants to play.

Place him on waivers with a small chance of being picked up. Clear waivers and find a way to be useful for the Marlies. I really hope this is the case and he gets another chance to at least contribute to Toronto hockey.

thunderhawk905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

If he's in the Marlie's is he against our cap-hit?

I think Nonis (and any GM) wants to save two buyouts as long as they can. I mean, if this was during the time Blake was here - i think a tonne of people would say just buy him out - but then we wouldn't have gotten the pieces we did for him. I think "trade" is always first on people's mind, even if its for really trivial pieces.

It really makes you wonder though who exactly Nonis is targeting for a buy out though.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:33 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post

I think Nonis (and any GM) wants to save two buyouts as long as they can. I mean, if this was during the time Blake was here - i think a tonne of people would say just buy him out - but then we wouldn't have gotten the pieces we did for him. I think "trade" is always first on people's mind, even if its for really trivial pieces.

It really makes you wonder though who exactly Nonis is targeting for a buy out though.
Most of the cap hit stays. I believe it's the current cap hit minus the minimum salary. So we his cap hit right now, if re-assigned to the Marlies, would be around 3.6M instead of 4.5M.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:29 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
One problem with that story is the statement

"One time waiving of his no movement clause"

From what I gather from the cba is once you waive it you waive it

it is like when you have sex for the first time--once you've lost it you have lost it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
All but $900,000 of his cap hit would count against the Leafs cap.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Yeah, Komi comes across a good guy and agree that we should not feel sorry for him regardless. However, I think there is merit in the thinking that his bloated contract is directly related to playing time. In the environment of a hard cap salary system, a player's salary will have direct influence on a players deemed worth and by extension playing time. Especially given the reality of cap mistake remedies like the compliance buyout. If Komi was a $2 - 3M cap player more in line with the skill level shown early this season, I have no doubt that Komi would have played a lot more this year. And if it wasn't working out here, he would have been easily traded and he would be playing elsewhere in the NHL.
He would not have played more with us, maybe the 2/3m hit would allowed for a trade to happen.

I had thought they was sidelining him to prevent injury risk heading to a compliance buy out, now this move completely destroys that notion.

Now all i can see was a player flat out not good enough to crack RCs roster.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
frankthetank91

Just thinking about it, Komi doesn't have it that bad. Same money and same city, it's not like he's being demoted to some small town AHL team, still Toronto.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
He would not have played more with us, maybe the 2/3m hit would allowed for a trade to happen.

I had thought they was sidelining him to prevent injury risk heading to a compliance buy out, now this move completely destroys that notion.

Now all i can see was a player flat out not good enough to crack RCs roster.
I think the notion is there to some extent. This will all play out if and when Komi is actually bought out or not this June. If he is bought out then the notion that he was not being played with the Leafs to control the risk will have merit. He is now doing the Leafs a favor by waiving his NMC to open up a roster spot. In return, the Leafs may have assured Komi some Marlie's playing time if he clears waivers. I hope Komi goes down and blows everyone's socks off with his play...that would certainly give cause for rethinking his status.

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Just thinking about it, Komi doesn't have it that bad. Same money and same city, it's not like he's being demoted to some small town AHL team, still Toronto.
Plus, he has a fellow NY stater there making similar money that he can hang out with.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

it is like when you have sex for the first time--once you've lost it you have lost it
My understanding of it as well JTS.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
My understanding of it as well JTS.
I thought the waive virginity was only lost if one waived and was then traded.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I think the notion is there to some extent. This will all play out if and when Komi is actually bought out or not this June. If he is bought out then the notion that he was not being played with the Leafs to control the risk will have merit. He is now doing the Leafs a favor by waiving his NMC to open up a roster spot. In return, the Leafs may have assured Komi some Marlie's playing time if he clears waivers. I hope Komi goes down and blows everyone's socks off with his play...that would certainly give cause for rethinking his status.
Well the roster does expand soon, no?

Something to do with expanded rosters for the _POs?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I thought the waive virginity was only lost if one waived and was then traded.
Not too sure, man. I was happy to waive it once I did, so no need to get it back.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I don't get all the conspiracy theories.

this is very simple - komi is very bad. he can't skate, can't handle the puck, can't pass, can't shoot, can't handle speed off the rush, blows coverage consistently, and for all his hits doesn't actually intimidate anyone.

he wasn't playing because he isn't good enough. the only reason he's received any playing time the past few years is his contract.

the leafs are obviously amnestying him this summer, and he knows if he wants a job next year he has to see some game action this year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:29 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

I would think any time a Player could be involved in a transaction he would have to waive it.

If not potentially they could waive to join Team X who could then flip him down the road to Team Y where the Player may not want to go.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

this is very simple - komi is very bad. he can't skate, can't handle the puck, can't pass, can't shoot, can't handle speed off the rush, blows coverage consistently, and for all his hits doesn't actually intimidate anyone.

he wasn't playing because he isn't good enough. the only reason he's received any playing time the past few years is his contract.

the leafs are obviously amnestying him this summer, and he knows if he wants a job next year he has to see some game action this year.
bingo

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Well the roster does expand soon, no?

Something to do with expanded rosters for the _POs?
Yeah it does...so the favor is effectively for the 5 remaining games until the trade deadline. Let's see if the Leafs make use of it.

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:

That goes without saying. (although he could play on a bottom pair somewhere)

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:

This truth could not be said any more accurately or any clearer. There's nothing else to it

Old
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Yeah it does...so the favor is effectively for the 5 remaining games until the trade deadline. Let's see if the Leafs make use of it.
Who knows maybe we have a team interested but want to see some hockey played before the TD.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
buntek

Quote:

Bravo

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Just a hunch, but maybe one of Ottawa or Bruins pick him up. Ofcourse, once Bobby Mac claims that he will most likely clear waivers, my speculation doesn't really stand a chance.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote