HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bouillon signed to a contract extension (1 year, $1.5 million)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Have no problem with the move, but Bouillon should be our 6th. Not really our priority but at 1.5M it's a non-issue really.
At this point in time, what really is the Habs priority?

Ryder and Armstrong are UFA. Bergevin said he'd evaluate Ryder's performance from now until the end of the season and if he fits into the plan, he'd get a contract offer. Armstrong is playing his way out. Budaj is a UFA too, but won't cost much more than he makes now. If so, plenty of back-ups to sign in the off-season.

Dumont, White and Weber are RFA. Not really an issue.

The only other priority I can think of is extending Subban and even then, they have a year left on his bridge and it may not even come to that. Bergevin may just extend Subban after the year is up - give him until the end of the season to keep up the pace and earn his dollars.

I guess you could say that it didn't necessarily need to happen now and you're probably right. Then again, maybe it's a message to both the current roster and the prospects in the AHL. Again, it's easy to make room for a blue-chipper like Tinordi to make his way into the big league. (i.e. compliance bye-bye Kaberle) Cube will be in the line-up next year and gradually transition to a 6th/7th defenseman as Tinordi gets more comfortable. If there is one thing Bouillon does solid, is assert himself physically in the defensive zone without taking himself out of the play. If he can teach that to Tinordi while Gorges teaches the big guy to play solid defensively in corners and in front of the net - including blocking shots - than there you go.

Bouillon at $1.5 million next year is very fair. Bouillon gets paid accordingly to how well he has played this season and Tinordi gets a veteran to help ease him into the line-up and be ready.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
But why does Bouillon get PP time when he's totally ineffective.
Because Markov and Subban are paired together.

Now you have the fallowing choices for the 2nd pp unit.

Bouillon-Emelin
Bouillon-Gorges
Bouillon-Tinordi

Yeah I have Bouillon on the 3 pairings because out of Emelin, Gorges and Tinordi he's the best choice in term of offensive production.

I thought everyone knew that by now.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Avim86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Because Markov and Subban are paired together.

Now you have the fallowing choices for the 2nd pp unit.

Bouillon-Emelin
Bouillon-Gorges
Bouillon-Tinordi

Yeah I have Bouillon on the 3 pairings because out of Emelin, Gorges and Tinordi he's the best choice in term of offensive production.

I thought everyone knew that by now.
Only temporarily until Diaz comes back.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Only temporarily until Diaz comes back.
Sure but even then, who do you have playing with Subban except Bouillon?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Happy for Cube!

Old
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Don't know if this has already been posted but it was worth it...

Quote:
Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
Congrats to Frankie Boo for 3 things. His new contract extension with Habs. Being 37 but lookin n movin like he's 24. N hot wife #lifeseasy
Gotta love Prust.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Great deal based on his play this year. Little to no risk, as somebody mentionned, if we have 6 better guys and he is #7 then we have a damn good defense...plus 1.5 mil cap hit is not an albatross on an experienced #7 even if he was to drop there. It buys another year for Tinordi Pateryn and Beaulieu before they HAVE to be NHL ready.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:10 PM
bib
#believe

Like that this move offers certainty to the players, that much of this core will be moving forward with the Habs, no cleaning house. Nice assurance.

And Cube is 37!? Boy, he's still got great legs for his age.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Craig71

I like Bouillon and he deserves the respect of an extra year, not too flashy but not high risk either. He is a good team player and congrats to him.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
DAChampion

Does this mean no Komisarek?

-

Old
03-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Don't know if this has already been posted but it was worth it...

Gotta love Prust.
As if Prust was to one to comment on other players' wives's hotness

Old
03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
really should be leaving room for tinordi or beaulieu
not if your goal is winning hockey games.

edit : beaulieu needs to replace an offensive Dman ... not a stay at home imho...i think we have the closest thing to perfect balance right now. Tinordi needs to earn it... till he does he's at the end of the food chain. surprisingly NOT physical for his size. plays smaller than bouillon.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 03-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 11:33 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I now hope Bergevin doesn't get all excited and also extends Armstrong for 1 year
Lol that would be a step backwards imo, Armstrong is great on the PK but we're doing great this year (especially the young ones) so we should look to improve next year and that starts with getting rid of Kaberle and Armstrong (who hasn't been great aside from the PK).

Our window of opportunities/contending for the cup is starting to open up slowly, let's make the most out of it and be sure to have our team set up for when Galchenyuk, Gallagher (and any other new rookies) and the soon-to-be prime Subban, Patches, DD, Emelin, Eller and Price take the reigns in 2-4 years. Let's not forget an experienced Plekanec and Gorges too! I'm feeling good about the future, and Armstrong/Kaberle are not in it.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:41 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Lol that would be a step backwards imo, Armstrong is great on the PK but we're doing great this year (especially the young ones) so we should look to improve next year and that starts with getting rid of Kaberle and Armstrong (who hasn't been great aside from the PK).

Our window of opportunities/contending for the cup is starting to open up slowly, let's make the most out of it and be sure to have our team set up for when Galchenyuk, Gallagher (and any other new rookies) and the soon-to-be prime Subban, Patches, DD, Emelin, Eller and Price take the reigns in 2-4 years. Let's not forget an experienced Plekanec and Gorges too! I'm feeling good about the future, and Armstrong/Kaberle are not in it.
I wanted armstrong out after the first 5-10 games... he really did not do anything and I was very vocal about it, he was a waste of a roster spot at the time. Then he started to pick up his PK, and now he seriously looks better than he did early on. He is starting to look very solid 5 on 5 right now and looks like he has better hands than I honestly thought ...he dangles. don't lie, you've seen it. take it for what its worth but he is a great player on the transition game and he does get the puck to the other end 9 times out of 10. if he can prove to be a bottom liner who could contribute at timely moments (the way he can), he's a keeper for 1m imho.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I think it's a sign of MB's inexperience.
Seriously! MB is doing great job.

Pierre Gauthier's fatal mistake last year was letting Hamrlik go and not adding defensive depth, especially with Markov's injury situation, which lead to panic moves like Kaberle.

Signing a solid vet like Frankie B. shows that MB understands how important defensive DEPTH is to a team. Frankie B. is a solid 5th -6th dman with a manageable cap hit of $1.5M. This give MB some insurance in case the youngsters are not ready to go or we encounter injuries.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Teufelsdreck

I thought signing him was a sick joke but I have to admit he earned his keep this season. I don't remember him playing this well in his first tour of duty with the Habs.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Miller Time

not crazy about the move...
- 1.5M$ is a premium for a 6/7dman, and despite his gritty play, he still is a midget on a defensive core without any physically imposing players (size isn't everything, but with the skill & grit in the other 5 dmen, all under 6'2 220pds, i'd prefer a bigger body to round out the group)

- between Tinordi, Pateryn, Ellis, Beaulieu, i question wether we wouldn't have enough "in-house" depth to fill that 6/7 spot... not a bad thing to give young dmen more time to develop slowly in the AHL, but also not a bad thing to keep room for them to "earn" a role

- hard to see Weber not being gone by next year as a result (can't have both 6/7 dmen as sub 6' players, can they?) which is too bad, cuz i still maintain that he's got bigger upside than we've given him a fair chance to display/develop

BUT

i think the move is as much about reinforcing/supporting the desired roster mentality, as it is about pure on-ice needs/fit.
While comments to the media are always to be taken with a grain of salt, the emphasis on his role with the younger dmen/players that have been called up points to Bouillion doing enough "behind-the-scenes" for the Coach/GM to consider his overall contributions important.

from that POV, i can appreciate the signing, even the raise/premium he's getting.

how you spend your money says something, MT is making a point that whatever Bouillion is bringing to the team on/off the ice, is valued.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:50 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I thought signing him was a sick joke but I have to admit he earned his keep this season. I don't remember him playing this well in his first tour of duty with the Habs.
yeah I'm surprised no one else has brought this up. He looks speedier out there. Real good mobility. I was happy to have him back because I always liked him but I thought it was a more nostalgic thing. I thought that Gill would've been the better choice but he's been real solid. I think this is a great deal. It's all about depth that doesn't cost you a lot of money. Real happy for the guy.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
At this point in time, what really is the Habs priority?

Ryder and Armstrong are UFA. Bergevin said he'd evaluate Ryder's performance from now until the end of the season and if he fits into the plan, he'd get a contract offer. Armstrong is playing his way out. Budaj is a UFA too, but won't cost much more than he makes now. If so, plenty of back-ups to sign in the off-season.

Dumont, White and Weber are RFA. Not really an issue.

The only other priority I can think of is extending Subban and even then, they have a year left on his bridge and it may not even come to that. Bergevin may just extend Subban after the year is up - give him until the end of the season to keep up the pace and earn his dollars.

I guess you could say that it didn't necessarily need to happen now and you're probably right. Then again, maybe it's a message to both the current roster and the prospects in the AHL. Again, it's easy to make room for a blue-chipper like Tinordi to make his way into the big league. (i.e. compliance bye-bye Kaberle) Cube will be in the line-up next year and gradually transition to a 6th/7th defenseman as Tinordi gets more comfortable. If there is one thing Bouillon does solid, is assert himself physically in the defensive zone without taking himself out of the play. If he can teach that to Tinordi while Gorges teaches the big guy to play solid defensively in corners and in front of the net - including blocking shots - than there you go.

Bouillon at $1.5 million next year is very fair. Bouillon gets paid accordingly to how well he has played this season and Tinordi gets a veteran to help ease him into the line-up and be ready.
Right now, the priority of the habs is to sit still. This is a half season off a strike. I mean really, other than us, the bruins and the Pens, every team in the East has looked like garbage, seriously.
This is a transitional year that is for from telling. I don't expect any of the teams to be where they are today. We haven't faced western teams and our conference looks really bad.

So, what is the priority? Well, the same as last year. Get a little bigger on the back end and on offense. Our young players have looked promising, but there's still room to improve.
Bouillon has played very well, but there was no need to lock him up now. We could have waited, and tried to get a bigger depth guy on D.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:03 AM
DAChampion

I think Bergevin may be setting up a culture whereby good players are rewarded with extensions.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:31 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Seriously! MB is doing great job.

Pierre Gauthier's fatal mistake last year was letting Hamrlik go and not adding defensive depth, especially with Markov's injury situation, which lead to panic moves like Kaberle.

Signing a solid vet like Frankie B. shows that MB understands how important defensive DEPTH is to a team. Frankie B. is a solid 5th -6th dman with a manageable cap hit of $1.5M. This give MB some insurance in case the youngsters are not ready to go or we encounter injuries.
Well said. How can anyone be disappointed that we sign a depth defenceman who bleed red white & blue is unconceivable. You can argue with the money (I don't, it's a decent price for such a player), but you cannot argue about re-signing Bouillon.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:06 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
not if your goal is winning hockey games.

edit : beaulieu needs to replace an offensive Dman ... not a stay at home imho...i think we have the closest thing to perfect balance right now. Tinordi needs to earn it... till he does he's at the end of the food chain. surprisingly NOT physical for his size. plays smaller than bouillon.
Tinordi and Beaulieu might actually win us more games, but in the long run they might win us even more games than that by developing in Hamilton and dominating for 25 minutes a game.

I remember how excited the Habs online community was when Tinordi took a massive step forward in his second year in the OHL, and by Beaulieu's and Ellis' dominant final seasons. I expect the same next year. The Bulldogs will be a Calder Cup candidate in 2014 and from that will lay the seeds of the Habs 2015-2020 perennial contendership.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I have nothing against Bouillon. He's actually really decent this year. My problem is that, we're already done with our D's for next year 'cause people needs to know this....Bouillon has not been signed already so that the Habs are securing their #7 spot. They are actually signing him so he'd play. So unless they have other plans for a guy like Diaz....our D is set. And that's my problem. 'Cause it doesn't give Tinordi a spot. It also doesn't force Bergevin to deal for better and tougher D's. I still believe it's a problem. 'Cause even if deals are to be expected.....I mean, Markov isn't going to be traded. You have to hope that neither Subban or Gorges will. Emelin....well he is one of the few physical ones so unless you replace him with a bigger one...I guess he is a potential candidate for trade but what will you get? And then, Diaz and Bouillon....Diaz is not going to get you a lot in return, and Bouillon hasn't been signed that early to get traded.

So nothing against the guy, I actually like to see him that happy and not being too worry about what's happening for him next year and so on....but not sure I like the sign it gives as far as improving ourselves unless.....there will be some trades coming. Yet, I don't see who on D except for Diaz...

Old
03-21-2013, 06:48 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have nothing against Bouillon. He's actually really decent this year. My problem is that, we're already done with our D's for next year 'cause people needs to know this....Bouillon has not been signed already so that the Habs are securing their #7 spot. They are actually signing him so he'd play. So unless they have other plans for a guy like Diaz....our D is set. And that's my problem. 'Cause it doesn't give Tinordi a spot. It also doesn't force Bergevin to deal for better and tougher D's. I still believe it's a problem. 'Cause even if deals are to be expected.....I mean, Markov isn't going to be traded. You have to hope that neither Subban or Gorges will. Emelin....well he is one of the few physical ones so unless you replace him with a bigger one...I guess he is a potential candidate for trade but what will you get? And then, Diaz and Bouillon....Diaz is not going to get you a lot in return, and Bouillon hasn't been signed that early to get traded.

So nothing against the guy, I actually like to see him that happy and not being too worry about what's happening for him next year and so on....but not sure I like the sign it gives as far as improving ourselves unless.....there will be some trades coming. Yet, I don't see who on D except for Diaz...
You don't "give" Tinordi a spot, and even Emelin and Diaz have to hold their current spots as #4 and #6 by continuing to play well.

So we signed our #5 defenceman for one last year before he retires, at a reasonable cap hit. The problem is....?

Old
03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You don't "give" Tinordi a spot, and even Emelin and Diaz have to hold their current spots as #4 and #6 by continuing to play well.

So we signed our #5 defenceman for one last year before he retires, at a reasonable cap hit. The problem is....?
That if you want to win the stanley cup you need a better bottom pairing defenseman than Bouillon?

Closed Thread