HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Floor/Ball Hockey in Toronto

Old
03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Kule Aid Man

vCash: 500
Floor/Ball Hockey in Toronto

Hey all,

Was looking around recently and attempting to find a ball hockey league I could join this spring/summer.

Does anyone know of any leagues that play around the Queen and Spadina area, most of these leagues seem to be pretty far out in Scarborough or Vaughn, and since I don't have a car that is definitely not doable.

Also, if anyone has any good or bad experiences with ball hockey leagues, I'd be interested to know!

Thanks!

Kule Aid Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule Aid Man View Post
Hey all,

Was looking around recently and attempting to find a ball hockey league I could join this spring/summer.

Does anyone know of any leagues that play around the Queen and Spadina area, most of these leagues seem to be pretty far out in Scarborough or Vaughn, and since I don't have a car that is definitely not doable.

Also, if anyone has any good or bad experiences with ball hockey leagues, I'd be interested to know!

Thanks!
players ball hockey is an awesome league if you're close to Oakville/Milton. I joined last year... they keep track of stats, standings etc on their website.

http://www.playersballhockey.com

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Jatt

NotSoPro and Toronto Sports and Social Club, I prefer NotSoPro over TCSSC.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
KuleminFan41

I played on a ball hockey team one year,pretty fun.Our team won gold but I was on a team that had a lot of guys who played ice hockey. All of them were ball hogs or played only with their friends and wouldn't want you to get the ball lol. I remember once the ball went towards me and this guy was running towards it saying"no no no don't touch the ball! ugh!".But I scored a nice goal though under the blocked over the pad. Only one all season but it was nice lol

I'm assuming though, if you play with more friends on your team/line you'll be fine. Even more so if you already play ice hockey(I don't)

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule Aid Man View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
There are year-round leagues out of Downsview park which would be closer to you than going to Scarborough or Vaughn.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
FLASH905

Just play ice hockey

FLASH905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Cor
GOAT Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH905 View Post
Just play ice hockey
He wants a ball/floor hockey league. Maybe he doesn't have equipment or doesn't know how to skate...

Stupid post sir.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Just play ice hockey
Some guys who play ice hockey also like to play ball hockey. See David Clarkson and Alex Burrows.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Mindrust

vCash: 870
While we're on the topic, anyone know of an inline hockey league? Preferably in Vaughan, but TO will do as well.

Mindrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
spor 13

York Inline is in Vaughan. Plays out of Rosemount CC.

If you're okay with travelling a bit, then there's MRHA in Missisauga which plays out of the Hershey Centre in the summer and Rink City in the winter.

There's also Toronto Inline, but I've never played in that league as they use a ball and usually play on concrete as opposed to sportcourt.

spor 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Durham Inline
INLINE EXPERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindrust View Post
While we're on the topic, anyone know of an inline hockey league? Preferably in Vaughan, but TO will do as well.
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, our league plays out of Oshawa on Sunday afternoons/nights. We also run mid-week shinny.

If you are interested, you can do a google search for my username or PM me for details.

Durham Inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
NotSoPro and Toronto Sports and Social Club, I prefer NotSoPro over TCSSC.
TSSC ftw - I've played a few seasons - it's co-ed ball hockey, they have different levels of play, and it's definitely a good way to pick up chicks..

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Kurtz

I play in TSSC as well...I like it. Most of the games take place at the hockey gym located at Bloor/Landsdowne, so not too far of a drive at all from Queen/Spadina.

http://www.torontossc.com/

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:49 PM
FLASH905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindrust View Post
I played in both York inline and MHRA. The leagues were both poorly run as the convenors played on teams that were in the league and roller hockey has zero etiquette. If you play ice hockey you will loathe playing in either league. After getting hosed in both leagues we stuck to just playing ice because of how far superior Canlan icesports run their leagues

FLASH905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Prototype

http://epicballhockey.com/

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Some guys who play ice hockey also like to play ball hockey. See David Clarkson and Alex Burrows.

Also see Chris Stewart and Wayne Simmonds. They play on my ball hockey team in the Summer for Tier 1 YCBHL.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Im from Vaughan so i cant help you there

Quote:
Funny story about this. Lucas Lessio's dad didnt make it to the NHL, started playing ball hockey after he gave up and was inducted into the ball hockey hall of fame

http://ontarioballhockey.ca/index.ph...tent&task=view

(just for reference was my high school gym teacher)

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
bax

I don't know anything in your area but I've been playing pick up ball hockey for the last 5 years every Friday night with a bunch of guys from a buddies work. Love it. I took a long break from sports during my 20's and this was just what I needed. It's just like it was when you were a kid. Light contact and a good group of guys just playing all out every game. If you get yourself in with a good bunch you'll have a blast.

Bozak - thanks for posting that link. I'm going to look into it.

bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Durham Inline
INLINE EXPERT

Quote:
The leagues were both poorly run as the convenors played on teams that were in the league and roller hockey has zero etiquette. If you play ice hockey you will loathe playing in either league. After getting hosed in both leagues we stuck to just playing ice because of how far superior Canlan icesports run their leagues
It's a shame to hear you had a negative experience with those particular inline leagues but please don't paint all leagues nor the entire sport with the same brush.

I am the owner, convenor and a player in my league. My wife and I put countless hours in every season to deliver a safe, positive recreational experience.

Canlan does a great job running leagues, their product isn't superior it should be the standard.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Durham Inline
INLINE EXPERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
I played on a ball hockey team one year,pretty fun.Our team won gold but I was on a team that had a lot of guys who played ice hockey. All of them were ball hogs or played only with their friends and wouldn't want you to get the ball lol. I remember once the ball went towards me and this guy was running towards it saying"no no no don't touch the ball! ugh!".But I scored a nice goal though under the blocked over the pad. Only one all season but it was nice lol

I'm assuming though, if you play with more friends on your team/line you'll be fine. Even more so if you already play ice hockey(I don't)
I was asked to play on a ball hockey team a few years ago by a co-worker. I played only one game, touching the ball only a couple times as they limited my minutes and nobody passed to me. At the end of the game the team captain told me I wasn't good enough to play on the team.

Another team in the league needed guys so I transfered. I faced my "old" team and scored four goals against them lol.

Ball-hogs are mostly unskilled players but all have inflated egos. Ball hockey attracts quite a few of these types as anyone off the street can play it. The sport itself is great, but like many things out there it's just a few dummies that ruin it.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Metroid

vCash: 162
ballhockeytoronto.com

Metroid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Also see Chris Stewart and Wayne Simmonds. They play on my ball hockey team in the Summer for Tier 1 YCBHL.
Sounds like a pretty solid team...

Old
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Gillumin

Quote:
Sounds like a pretty solid team...
I can also recommend YCBHL. Plenty of Tiers (5, I think) for all skill levels. Mostly played at Rinx by Yorkdale Mall. If you live downtown TO you can take a subway direct to Yorkdale Mall and walk from there.

www.ycbhl.com

Gillumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:47 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

I just want to play some pickup ball hockey. Any good places for that?

If I join a league do I need to register a whole team or can you just do it by yourself and get added to one?

Haven't played ball hockey in ages so not interested in something too serious.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:22 PM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
I've heard from many people who have played with and against Burrows, as well as reffed his games, that Burrows is the best ball hockey player in the world.

YCBHL is a good league that runs from different locations all across the city and beyond (meaning A place like Markham) and has tiers fitting for each individual's talent level. If you are looking simply for recreation and don't mind co-ed, NotSoPro is good.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote