HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Study on feasability of return of MLB to MTL (UPD Post #70)

Old
03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
McNuts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
I would love the Expos to come back to Montreal with a decent stadium near the core, instead of the east end.
Real estate prices in the core city are insane, not sure if that would be their choice of location.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:02 AM
coolasprICE

http://montrealbaseballproject.com

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
That would be nice but been told from people I know in real estate that this land will be for condos and townhouses. The city can reap more from this than having to redevelop the whole area to fit 50 thousand people attending baseball or concerts.

How would the crowd leave? Its a nice dream but transportation wise its a nightmare and this would cost the government a fortune in congestion.

You have to remember that Decarie is the core of the city and any congestion on there will back up the 40, 20 and bridges.
Town houses and condos would be even dumber considering the saturated condo market we're already in.

And I also heard they want to tear down the Olympic stadium and build some condos there too. Condos, everywhere condos!

At the hippodrome though, the metro is near by. They can upgrade the public transit in the area, open some arteries like Cavendish. It can be done, and we do have the man power to build it, and the people to fill it. The only thing is they need to clean up this mess with corruption and get something done as a city.

If you build it they will come

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:29 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Town houses and condos would be even dumber considering the saturated condo market we're already in.

And I also heard they want to tear down the Olympic stadium and build some condos there too. Condos, everywhere condos!

At the hippodrome though, the metro is near by. They can upgrade the public transit in the area, open some arteries like Cavendish. It can be done, and we do have the man power to build it, and the people to fill it. The only thing is they need to clean up this mess with corruption and get something done as a city.

Imagine tens of thousands of fans walking back to namur metro or driving out of the parking lot onto the decarie after each game. They would need to improve accessibility and capacity to deal with that kind of traffic... that alone is a big investment.

And we all know how awesome this city is with infrastructure projects. It takes them 10 years to build a simple overpass and an extra highway lane over 3 times original budget.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

meh, doesnt mean much, metro is near by the Stadium as well, can even access it directly from PIE-IX station, and yet...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Imagine tens of thousands of fans walking back to namur metro or driving out of the parking lot onto the decarie after each game. They would need to improve accessibility and capacity to deal with that kind of traffic... that alone is a big investment.

And we all know how awesome this city is with infrastructure projects. It takes them 10 years to build a simple overpass and an extra highway lane over 3 times original budget.
Yeah the idea would be great for the city, would create many jobs and bring in lots of revenue, but the ones in charge are either corrupt or completely incompetent and would probably turn it into a nightmare. Too bad.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
meh, doesnt mean much, metro is near by the Stadium as well, can even access it directly from PIE-IX station, and yet...
The Stadium is far from west side of Montreal. That's the problem. A lot of young families and money was moving west in the last couple of decades and no metro in the west. People would not go because of the travel and inconvenience. Baseball was very popular in the west island growing up. I played and so did most of my friends. But we would go maybe once or twice a year. One of our parents would drop us off and the other would pick us up. It's not a fun drive.

All in all, with the increasing young families moving out west, or Laval even, a location off Decarie would be centered perfectly to reach the larger market.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Teufelsdreck

In what US city would the the new team relocate when the time comes?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:07 AM
ChoseLa

I live on the Plateau, on the main, if i could walk there in less than 40 minutes (would be great to walk to a baseball game) i'd be a fan. But Baseball has almsot disapear from Quebec culture, i hope it can work but i just don't see it. If they can waste 400K$ on a study it's because there is some serious investors behind this project.

When i grew up everybody was playing baseball.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:12 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
The Stadium is far from west side of Montreal. That's the problem. A lot of young families and money was moving west in the last couple of decades and no metro in the west. People would not go because of the travel and inconvenience. Baseball was very popular in the west island growing up. I played and so did most of my friends. But we would go maybe once or twice a year. One of our parents would drop us off and the other would pick us up. It's not a fun drive.

All in all, with the increasing young families moving out west, or Laval even, a location off Decarie would be centered perfectly to reach the larger market.
and at the Hyppo, it would be far from the east, no better.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Go to google maps and search the hippodrome. Then check distance to st. Leonard, mirabel, Kirkland, Brossard all between 15 and 20 km. also places like Vaudreuil and terrebonne, it's exactly in between.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's an exercise in futility and a waste of money. Montréal is a hockey town and that's what'll always be.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:53 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

we need a guy like lawrence stroll to fund. (i saw him on the 13 in his mclaren f1 the day dallas won their cup)

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:14 AM
gelu88

All power to them, but like others I don't want public money going into this. QC gets its arena because hockey is religion. I can't see baseball getting the same political treatment.

Thats why I strongly support someone bringing AAA ball to Montreal instead.

AAA ball can be done sustainably, profitably and privately. No way MLB happens without significant government involvement.

$5-$50 million for AAA can be raised and financed privately, $150-$400 million on the other hand…

gelu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:23 AM
ZARTONK
The Markov effect

vCash: 50
I've never been a baseball fan, but I still think it would be great if a team returns to Montreal.

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I don't want public fund touching any of this.
me neither and I love baseball and want my team back.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
East end is the very worst place to have a baseball team.

Not to make this into a language debate but the teams english fan base would make up half the fans at the Big O and were a big chunk of the season ticket holders.

I can see how Soccer makes sense in the east, but definitely not baseball.

Hippodrome would be much better location if it were not for the traffic nightmare.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Not sure about this one...

Baseball was not viable back then. Why would it be now? Montreal is just not a real sports town. The Als get collegiate division II crowds, the Impact can't fill up a 20 000 seat stadium regularly...people tend to forget that during summer time, most suburbanites (which are the real clients) leave town or just don't want to spend time in the city during the week. Yes, the stadium is a quick fix. But it doesn't last.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed: baseball is NOT as popular as it used to be across the US.
You have to remember the shift in Baseball revenue over past few years. Its heavy into local TV money plus the US Fox deal. While attendance is important you can get by with a 35K stadium now days, with plenty of cheap seats not sure how hard it will be to fill.

One would think RDS/TSN would want the content and would pay for it. What do they have CFL in summer? which attracts very few people under 35. Here in Toronto everyone is talking jays, young, old, male, female, minorities etc.

Where were they thinking about putting stadium back in day? I know its a long shot- but would be awesome if they came back.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Burke the Legend

Where were these dummies 15 years ago? None of the local billionaires were putting up a penny and let carpetbagger Loria destroy it. Pathetic. A shame of Montreal and mark of historic decline (today's Charbonneau revelations are another ongoing one).

MLB won't be back unless Quebec has a huge turn around and starts booming again. Long term economic, political and demographic trends make this outcome seem quite remote.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Where were they thinking about putting stadium back in day?
The land below Bell Centre now developed into condos. They blew the chance they had when it was a cheap empty lot of old railroad land.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
sansabri
like a docent's lisp

i would probably cry a few tears if baseball came back to Montréal. but i don't see it happening until Selig is no longer commish.

at least Steinbrenner is gone, so we don't have to worry about him.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
ClasslessGuy

Not a finance/ baseball expert but my question is ... why?

It wasn't profitable back then (dollar issue I understand) but there was nobody in the stands... In a new stadium we might get 30 000+ in stand for the first games but after a season?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
MTLAzzurri

If some billionaires want to pony up the cash then I would be all for it, as long as not a single tax dollar's penny goes into this.

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLAzzurri View Post
If some billionaires want to pony up the cash then I would be all for it, as long as not a single tax dollar's penny goes into this.
This and Stadium plus a team would be at least 1 billion

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Not a finance/ baseball expert but my question is ... why?

It wasn't profitable back then (dollar issue I understand) but there was nobody in the stands... In a new stadium we might get 30 000+ in stand for the first games but after a season?
Not true.

Baseball is a summer sport. It's meant to be played outdoors.

Even non hardcore baseball fans will go. It's a great outing to do even as a date or to kill a few hours in the sun while on a day off.

Price of tickets can be purchased for the same price of going to the movies.

I am 1000000% convinced that if we get an outdoor ball in a good location we will average 25,000 to 30,000 per game.