HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lupul Hits Hedman in the Head (SUSPENDED 2 GAMES)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Jerkini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
True, but irrelevant. Doesn't matter if it's by accident or intentional, a hit to the head is a hit to the head. Probably a game, that's about it.
And it was a 2 minute penalty and no one is arguing it. It shouldn't be an automatic suspension.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Agreed, except for the bold part.

I don't think he targetted the head at all; it just ended up being the principle point of contact. There was no intent, but regardless, there has to be more responsibility on behalf of the player to ensure that he's not harming another player.

But as an isolated hit from one hockey player to another, it deserves a look at and probably a very small suspension. At the end of the day that's the very type of hit, careless or deliberate or otherwise, that the league needs to be stomping out of their game.

And you are 100% correct - if the roles were reversed and this was an opposition player on a Leaf player, we'd all be screaming bloody murder and baying for blood. Stop being so hypocritical.
I find myself agreeing with the majority of your opinions lately.

It's hard to argue the result. He made contact with his head whether he was aiming for it or not and as you've stated, it's something they are trying to remove from the game.

Based on history I'd be surprised if he got more than a game.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Agreed, except for the bold part.

I don't think he targetted the head at all; it just ended up being the principle point of contact. There was no intent, but regardless, there has to be more responsibility on behalf of the player to ensure that he's not harming another player.

But as an isolated hit from one hockey player to another, it deserves a look at and probably a very small suspension. At the end of the day that's the very type of hit, careless or deliberate or otherwise, that the league needs to be stomping out of their game.

And you are 100% correct - if the roles were reversed and this was an opposition player on a Leaf player, we'd all be screaming bloody murder and baying for blood. Stop being so hypocritical.
i could not agree any more

Old
03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
showtime8

I think the hit was a bit late, but I agree with a majority of the opinions on here.

He wasn't targetting the head, but it happened so you have to face the consequences.

1 game.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

TOR's Joffrey Lupul has a 2 pm phone hearing with NHL for hit on TB's Hedman last night.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
gtforepro

Hedman and Garon both moved way too early during the anthem. Nice to see Lupul setting things right. Stand still until the end of the ****ing song dumbass.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
beleaf67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

TOR's Joffrey Lupul has a 2 pm phone hearing with NHL for hit on TB's Hedman last night.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
thewave

0 games, the guy ducked down and it was borderline late not late

Old
03-21-2013, 08:33 AM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Fine should suffice.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

I think we all know why he did it, his hate for Buffalo is well documented.

Guess he really didn't want to go there, can't say as I blame him

Old
03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Should be 1 game or just a fine. 2 games is possible but not as likely. Anything more than 2 would be absurd, especially in a shortened season.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Triple Minor
Optimus Reim

1 at the very worst. Probably none

Old
03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Canadian Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Watch 0:43

Lup's shoulder hits Hedman's shoulder and then hits his head.

Not even a hearing IMO
I watched that a few times over and to me it was a clear hit to the head. With NHL brass watching on, this won't be a simple slap on the wrist. 2 games IMO.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
EDDIE20*

Funny how Chris Neil doled out something similar to Chris Drury a few years back and it was considered clean. Hopefully, Lupul reminds Shanny of this.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Does the NHL have an appeal process? Meaning if he is suspended he could appeal and still play tonight.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Game View Post
I watched that a few times over and to me it was a clear hit to the head. With NHL brass watching on, this won't be a simple slap on the wrist. 2 games IMO.
You paused it when he hit his head.... you can do that with pretty much any hit and it looks bad.

Bottom line is, if you watch the video, (more specifically 0:43 onwards) you see his shoulder hit Hedman's shoulder and then hit his head.

edit: meaning initial contact was the shoulder.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
ponder

If this was a Tampa player hitting Lupul just like this, we'd all be calling for a huge suspension. He'll be suspended for sure, though I don't think it will be overly long, probably 1-3 games. I think it was more reckless than malicious, but it was still a pretty bad hit.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
slozo

Finally saw the hit - hmmm, it's a tough one, actually.

I find it difficult to say that the head wasn't targetted here actually . . . it's not a super fast hockey play; Hedman and Lupul are both going in relatively the same direction; Hedman is a big/tall player; Lupul definitely raises his arm and elbow to the level where he might catch his head (which he did).

At best, it's a careless hit to the head. At worst, he meant to clock him with an elbow in hopes that the ref didn't see. I'd lean hard towards the former, but it could well fall in between somewhere.

Going by history, severity of penalty on the play by the ref, Lupul's speed . . . I'd say a game is appropriate.

What they actually decide on giving Lupul is beyond my ken, however!

Old
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Canadian Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
You paused it when he hit his head.... you can do that with pretty much any hit and it looks bad.

Bottom line is, if you watch the video, (more specifically 0:43 onwards) you see his shoulder hit Hedman's shoulder and then hit his head.

edit: meaning initial contact was the shoulder.
Like I said, I watched a few times over and did not see the contact with Hedman's shoulder. That's just my perspective though. I think it also speaks volumes when Leaf fans are say he will get suspended immediately after the hit happens as well.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
TML23

I think it will be around 1 or 2 games at max. If he gets lucky (because he is not a repeat offender), he may just need to pay some fine.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like I said, I watched a few times over and did not see the contact with Hedman's shoulder. That's just my perspective though. I think it also speaks volumes when Leaf fans are say he will get suspended immediately after the hit happens as well.
In my perspective, I see contact with the shoulder before the head. I mean if it comes down to perspective, It shows it wasn't a viscous shot to the head.

That with Lupul's past history (none), Hedman getting caught watching his pass etc I just don't see a suspension happening.

Maybe a first timer fine, and a stern talking to.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Kingstonian84*

I said this in the Leafs/Sabres thread, probably should have posted it here instead

Anyways Lupul will likely get 1-2 games on it, it was an illegal hit. He can argue all he wants he didnt "mean" to hit him there, but if you watch the replay his elbow goes UP and gets him in the head. It doesn't matter the intent, it's that he was reckless and needs to learn from his bad behaviour.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
It was a hit to the head, but I dont think Lupul should be suspended because Hedman put himself in a way more dangerous position by turning at the last second when he is skating right up the middle.

Hedman seems to get hit in the Hed alot Man. He was injured recently by a hit to the head, this is a case of a player who puts himself in dangerous positions and expects the league to protect him. The league needs to say it is primarily the players responsibility to protect themselves.

1 game at the most. If hedman doesn't turn his head last second he would see lupul in his peripheral vision.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Kingstonian84*

It was a hit to the head, but I dont think Lupul should be suspended because Hedman put himself in a way more dangerous position by turning at the last second when he is skating right up the middle.

Ok so by your logic, a woman who walks alone at night and gets assaulted in your opinion deserves it because she "put herself in a dangerous situation? Um... no. Hedman may have been skating up the ice, but Lupul was responsible for his OWN actions, Lupul was the one who chose to lift his elbow, and Lupul was the one who chose to hit him in the head with it. Sorry but I'm not buying your logic or excuses here.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Funny how Chris Neil doled out something similar to Chris Drury a few years back and it was considered clean. Hopefully, Lupul reminds Shanny of this.
Then Shanahan will remind him that the rules have changed since that hit.

Closed Thread