HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mark Pysyk Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
The Mark Pysyk Thread

We have one for one recent first-rounder in Grigorenko, so why not have a discussion about another one in Mark Pysyk? Currently up from Rochester and has played his first two games. What are your thoughts of him so far? How early do you see him being ready to be an NHL regular?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

If he plays like he has so far, then he'll be in the Top 4 next year.

That said he's only played two games so far and is still a rookie. Will be next year too. But I am hopeful. And very impressed from what I've seen.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:28 PM
JPurp26

You dont notice him type defenseman, you dont notice him because he is doing all the little things right. He plays smart, and safe which is effective. I see him in the top 6 next year which will be great having another righty. He still needs to get a lot stronger. He has difficulty with hard pressed forchecks and pushing guys off the puck. Getting stronger this summer will really help him.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Jacob582

Originally I was thinking they would want him in Rochester or at least part of the season next year.

They are giving him a look to see what they have in the NHL.

I'm sure they would want him to stay in Buffalo this summer for work. One thing he needs to add for NHL duty: strength.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:39 PM
sabresfan65
Vote for Teppo!

Could he be the partner that Myers needs to replace Tallinder?

Maybe not next year but in a couple of years.

sabresfan65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Old Navy Goat

I agree: smart, positionally sound the kind of defenseman that isn't going to ever wow you but the kind that every team wants as they make the simple smart plays that keeps their goaltender from getting a suntan from those goal lights.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I'm not going to even pencil him in for next season based on 2 or 3 games. After I see him for 10-15 games I think a more educated decision can be made about what the Sabres have in Psysk. So far, he's looked good. Too soon to count him in the lineup. Time will tell.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan65 View Post
Could he be the partner that Myers needs to replace Tallinder?

Maybe not next year but in a couple of years.
Sure, if he learns how to shoot lefty. Can anyone think of a single NHL pairing with 2 righties on it?

Pysyk's gonna be a real good player though. I've been excited about him for a while. His skating, passing, and stickwork are all top notch, and he's just so calm with the puck. I don't think he looks anywhere near strong enough yet to be playing more than ~15 minutes a game, though, but hopefully he can work on that over the summer.

Wouldn't mind seeing him get a little PP time next game. He can move the puck around, and, while he doesn't have a great shot, he does have a knack for getting it through traffic and on net at least.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:55 PM
5 Minute Major

I need to see a lot more of him before I have a good feel.

He did get his jock handed to him on Washington's 5th goal the other night. That was as bad as a defensemen can look. With saying that he has had some good moments as well

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Very impressed for being his first 2 games. It's extremely early but so far I really like what I see. Looks very calm for a 21 year old.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I need to see a lot more of him before I have a good feel.

He did get his jock handed to him on Washington's 5th goal the other night. That was as bad as a defensemen can look. With saying that he has had some good moments as well
That happens to every defenseman in the league on occasion...making a wrong guess against an NHLer can leave you out to dry and make you look like a buffoon.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Coconut Head
Save us, Mark Pysyk!

His puck work, poise, and calmness is welcomed on the chaos that is the Sabres blueline. An element we so desperately needed, and its incredible that he's been able to step in like this at a young age.

Great pick, excited to watch him in the future

Edit: As for when he'll be a regular, my guess is 14-15

Last edited by Coconut Head: 03-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Coconut Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
That happens to every defenseman in the league on occasion...making a wrong guess against an NHLer can leave you out to dry and make you look like a buffoon.
And I also said he has looked good at times. it's OK to point out faults, you know?

Heck, I thought Tyler Myers was the real deal after 80 games. Looks like I was wrong there.

I'll wait before I have a good opinion on Pysyk.

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
And I also said he has looked good at times. it's OK to point out faults, you know?

Heck, I thought Tyler Myers was the real deal after 80 games. Looks like I was wrong there.

I'll wait before I have a good opinion on Pysyk.
I agree.

As far as Myers though, I don't think he'll be a top 10 #1 defenseman. But I think he has the tools to be top #20 perhaps

It just may take 1, 2, 3 more years

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Been going with this comparison for a while but I feel that he's going to become Andrej Sekera 2.0, which is excellent. Striking similarities between the two.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Been going with this comparison for a while but I feel that he's going to become Andrej Sekera 2.0, which is excellent. Striking similarities between the two.
I'm a fan of Pisser, so far. Came here to post that he could be Sekera 2.0.

I remember when Sekera was a rookie, he was primarily paired with Spacek to help him grow into that type of player. If Pisser continues to look this poised while playing with - Jordan Leopold - of all people, I'm sure he will be solid no matter who he is paired with. A future pairing of McNabb-Pysyk seems logical at this point.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Revelate

He made a couple passes that made me realize how bad our defense is. They made me go wow, but thinking about it, they really shouldn't have.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

I've liked what I've seen, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. We've seen more than one young defensemen have a good first year, keeping things simple and playing with enthusiasm, followed by a second season of over thinking things and battling with the pressure of increased expectations.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
He made a couple passes that made me realize how bad our defense is. They made me go wow, but thinking about it, they really shouldn't have.
Me too! The guy makes a safe first pass, hard and on the blade, and I go "wow, he's good!" Then I realize it's the others who are not.

Like a couple of you have already pointed out, he looks Sekera 2.0. Smooth, smart, keeps out of trouble and can likely be used in different situations. I know the simple size is tiny, but I really like what I've seen so far. He looks calm out there, and that's welcome on this stressed out D.

For what it's worth, our defensive pipeline looks promising considering Pysyks play now, McNabb last year and McCabe further down the line. The latter impressed me a lot in WJC (but so did Grigorenko...)

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

He's looked good this far.

Regher is gone. Leopold is gone.

So under contract next year we have Myers, Sekera, and Ehrhoff.... Probably Weber.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:52 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He's a virtual lock for a top 4 spot next year. He has the tools and he's going to get the chance, it's pretty obvious. All young players have peaks and valleys, but he seems to be focused enough that it shouldn't be too much of an issue with him. He's here for good, IMO, and I bet his role only expands. I really wanted them to draft Coyle, who also would've been nice, but Pysyk is better than I realized.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Squantosawuss

Pisser.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
LGBuffalo

I've really liked his game so far. As someone said earlier, I've found myself saying things out loud in praise of him that I would've hoped at the beginning of the season I would have said for all of their defensemen. He hasn't been spectacular, but at this point, they just need someone that's going to play defense.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He's a virtual lock for a top 4 spot next year. He has the tools and he's going to get the chance, it's pretty obvious. All young players have peaks and valleys, but he seems to be focused enough that it shouldn't be too much of an issue with him. He's here for good, IMO, and I bet his role only expands. I really wanted them to draft Coyle, who also would've been nice, but Pysyk is better than I realized.
Force-feeding him Top 4 minutes is a recipe for disaster, IMO. The team tried to do that with Butler post Tallinder/Lydman and it wasn't pretty. I think playing him on the bottom pair with a likely re-signed Weber would be ideal; let's him get easy minutes and a stable vet presence to play with.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:28 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
I've really liked his game so far. As someone said earlier, I've found myself saying things out loud in praise of him that I would've hoped at the beginning of the season I would have said for all of their defensemen. He hasn't been spectacular, but at this point, they just need someone that's going to play defense.
That's the thing with Pysyk. He's not often going to be the kind of guy that wows you with a spectacular play (though I remember one from Rochester earlier this year, where the puck got by him and it looked like a 2-on-1 break with just McNabb back, until Pysyk turned around and caught up with the play in 1 1/2 strides and broke it up with a good stick), but he's rarely going to make egregious/costly mistakes. He'll obviously have to adjust to the step up from the AHL to the NHL (as evidenced by getting owned on that one goal in the Caps game), but what's impressive right now is that he doesn't look nervous handling the puck and doesn't seem easily pressured into making mistakes with it, even with the jump in the speed of the game.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote