HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Hossa - amnesty buyout candidate?

View Poll Results: Will the Hawks buyout Marian Hossa?
Yes 4 4.60%
No, they will keep him 78 89.66%
They will trade him 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
that's what I don't know when it comes to those amnesty buyouts

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's hope Hossa ages well and we can trade him to the Islanders in 2017. They'd love that $1 million salary, $5.2 million cap hit.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Let's hope Hossa ages well and we can trade him to the Islanders in 2017. They'd love that $1 million salary, $5.2 million cap hit.
Hossa will retire at that point. Why would he keep playing when he has made 99% of the money on his deal.

And even if he did keep playing, the cap hit benefit recapture still would ding the Hawks with a cap hit after he is traded.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Hossa will retire at that point. Why would he keep playing when he has made 99% of the money on his deal.

And even if he did keep playing, the cap hit benefit recapture still would ding the Hawks with a cap hit after he is traded.
If he keeps playing, the new team would get the full cap hit and pay the lesser salary. There is no recapture if he keeps playing.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
hockeydoug

Since another team won't have to worry about too much of the recapture damage later, how the heck would Hossa clear waivers to be bought out?

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Hawkaholic

If I recall, the recapture penalty happens when you trade a player to another team and he retires. I wonder if there is a loophole where you can waive a player, he get's claimed, and then he retires. Tell that team you will do them a favour in a future trade.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's an interesting thought. Waive him and when a team picks him up and he retires, it should work?

or did they already said that no matter what happens when this guy you signed retires you have the Cap hit?

Old
03-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

OK, checked it and the player will get 2/3 of the money.

In Hossas case if we buy him out after the 13-14 season, he would get (like massive said) 15.867 million. That's still a lot of money but it helps the team in the future for sure.

after this season, he would get 21.133 million. No way that Wirtz accepts this.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
hockeydoug

My point was that in order for Hossa to be bought out or have his contract terminated, he would have to be placed on unconditional waivers.

I thought this was just an hypothetical discussion or whether or not Hossa's contract is worth keeping around. Of course the media often discusses this stuff without a comprehensive understanding of the CBA which we still haven't seen completed.

If my understanding of the buyout process (unconditional waiver requirement), cap recapture, and buyout cap consequences is correct I don't see how Chicago considers buying Hossa out for a single second.

What am I missing that makes a Hossa buyout even a remote possibility in the next two offseasons (barring a drop in play worse than Cheechoo's )? Was there a change to the buyout requirements in the new CBA?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Hawkaholic

That's another thing, I wonder if they mutually terminte his contract, if that's another way around the recapture penalty.

Last edited by Hawkaholic: 03-20-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
If I recall, the recapture penalty happens when you trade a player to another team and he retires. I wonder if there is a loophole where you can waive a player, he get's claimed, and then he retires. Tell that team you will do them a favour in a future trade.
The team that has the benefit of cap savings has to recapture it. It doesn't matter if a trade/waiver is involved or not.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:38 PM
ARSix

Yes, absolutely, because lots of teams like to spend millions and millions of dollars to lose possibly the best two-way player in the NHL not named Datsyuk or Toews, in exchange for no return whatsoever.

Is this thread serious?

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
That's another thing, I wonder if they mutually terminte his contract, if that's another way around the recapture penalty.
Any contract termination by the franchise requires a player be placed on unconditional waivers unless that rule changed in this CBA.

Did that rule change?

Old
03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
hockeydoug

Seriously, can Hossa be bought out without passing waivers? I've read nothing to suggest this is possible.

If I'm wrong, I promise it won't be the last time. If I'm correct, I hope everybody that has posted on this topic writes to a half dozen writers telling them they're idiots for not addressing the waiver issue with buyouts.

These stories of hypothetical buyouts are everywhere in almost every major market and only a handful address the waiver issue. Of those, none have listed a specific line item in the cba that may be different from the old one.

I hope I'm the idiot here and not so many of the writers and radio hosts suggesting these ideas on buyouts. Please, somebody call me an idiot!!!

Old
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
madgoat33

2 amnesty buyouts via the new cba. think they have to be used before the start of the 2014 season?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:58 PM
hockeydoug

I'm aware of the buyouts and what happens with the buyouts, recapture, and player compensation. I'm specifically asking if a player can be bought-out without having to clear waivers as many of the opinions about buyouts seem to suggest.

Most of the speculative buyout pieces and suggestions on the radio seem to ignore the waiver requirement as if it doesn't exist and it's making the discussions related to the offseason ridiculous if many cases.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
2 amnesty buyouts via the new cba. think they have to be used before the start of the 2014 season?
you have to use them either this coming offseason or next.

after the start of the 14/15 season, you can't use it anymore.

I'm starting to think he will be bought out right after the 13/14 season when we need to sign Crawford and Hjalmarsson and if still here Bolland.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
you have to use them either this coming offseason or next.

after the start of the 14/15 season, you can't use it anymore.

I'm starting to think he will be bought out right after the 13/14 season when we need to sign Crawford and Hjalmarsson and if still here Bolland.
You are willing to give away one of the Top two way forwards in the game right now for something unknown in 7 years. Heck there might even be a new CBA in place by that time.

Easiest solution is the Hawks scratch him for every game the last 3 years of his contract. He eats up a roster spot and that's it.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Can we lock this? This team isn't a contender without Hossa.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Can we lock this? This team isn't a contender without Hossa.
Let them have their fun.

It is crazy to think that fans of a team that were in awe of having a guy like Marty Havlat seven years ago would fathom trading Hossa. Marian came to the Hawks to finish his career, help Kane, Toews, etc. excel, and win a few Cups. He's arguably going to do all of that. Because of that, why is Hossa expendable? Seriously, why? Who says Hossa can't be another Selanne. He has the smarts and the savvy. You buy him out when his game falls off. Hoss is still a 70-point player in an 82-game slate. Us keeping Hossa now does not have an impact on prospects four to six years down the road. Hossa has been taken for granted. He is his own unique talent. I want every productive year of his in a Chicago sweater. When/if his game falls, we can have threads like these. Shame on any of you for considering having him bought out. We don't have a Cup without that guy, and he is a top-three forward on the best team in the league with serious and realistic Cup aspirations.

There are some spoiled fans on here. It wasn't long ago we never could have dreamt of a player of Hossa's caliber. Some, not all, of these fans want a still very productive top-three forward on a team with serious Cup potential out the door.

Threads like these makes me cringe. Props to the people with my sentiments and realize how unique a guy who does everything equally well is.

I can't wait until he goes on a tear soon and shuts some people up and watch those same people go on about how he is a world class beast.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but hypothetically, let's say that we do want to get rid of Hossa for whatever reason. Why wouldn't we trade him instead? I'm sure at least 50% of the teams in the league would be interested after this year or next when the deadline to buy a player out ends... He's not a player that you get nothing for.

Again, that was all hypothetical, because I don't condone getting rid of Hossa in any way. I hope he plays out his career here, and that it lasts a long time. There's no reason he can't play longer than the average player.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
hockeydoug

Hossa has to go to waivers to be bought out.

What plausible scenario has Bowman put Hossa on unconditional waivers? If he leaves Chicago anytime soon, it's not going to be because of an amnesty buyout. The Brooks story that started this conversation is just silly and doesn't address waivers.

Quote:
Why wouldn't we trade him instead?
Considering an amnesty buyout subjects him to waivers and then the Hawks still are on the hook for recapture even though another team owns him, trading him is the only reasonable way the Hawks lose his contract anytime soon.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
xX Hot Fuss

I thought the Hawks would still be on the hook for his retirement penalty even if Hossa is traded

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:56 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yes, they would. You either keep him or buy him out. The answer is to keep him and hope for the best.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I thought the Hawks would still be on the hook for his retirement penalty even if Hossa is traded
A buyout, which puts him on waivers, is the only way to avoid the recapture. If he's claimed, which he would be, the Hawks are still on the hook for recapture. A regular buyout leaves a cap hit down the road as well.

The amnesty buyouts are for cap compliance purposes, not cap circumvention purposes.

I've yet to see or read anything that makes it seem that there is a plausible scenario that would have the Hawks buyout Hossa by the end of 2014, or that they would even be able to. Injuries put him on LTIR, can't buy him out there. Buyouts require him being placed on waivers, he's not going to clear those.

Unless there is some CBA rule that hasn't been made generally public, the idea of Hossa and an amnesty buyout is not feasible unless 29 other gms don't want him for some reason.