HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Selleck faces hearing for yesterdays incident, suspended 2 games

Old
03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
JdRoar

vCash: 500
Selleck faces hearing for yesterdays incident, suspended 2 games

Florida Panthers forward Eric Selleck faces a hearing with the Department of Player Safety on Wednesday afternoon.
Read More Here
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
Automatic 1 game suspension for Instigator in final five minutes of regulation

Ouch , can't be too fun to get reprimanded after getting whomped on.

JdRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Hopefully nothing too bad happens. They should see that Westgarth was kinda trying to stir things up with Strachan just before. Guess we'll wait and see.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I appreciate him trying to make a statement, even if it ended badly. I wonder if he'll even be healthy for the next game with the way he got clocked. That said, I cannot see how that was instigation, which is one of the silliest rules in the game anyway. It's ok to fight as long as you don't start it...what?

In any case, Howden, don't go far.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
pantherbot

it's a silly rule because westgarth was the one who was trying to provoke a response in the first place.

I really like Selleck, waaaay more than what Parros has brought this season. Hope he is ok and sticks with the team.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
it's a silly rule because westgarth was the one who was trying to provoke a response in the first place.

I really like Selleck, waaaay more than what Parros has brought this season. Hope he is ok and sticks with the team.
I do too. Even though he won't hang with the big boys like Westgarth, Orr, and Bollig, I like his checking and energy. He just needs to stick with guys like Glass and Martin.

-ghoste

Old
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
RainingRats

Kid makes 55K in the AHL, Dineen gets him beat up, and now he has to pay a fine. Tough debut. I do like him and hope he can earn a spot on the fourth line.

I'd like RampageNate to talk about his fighting ability a little bit and the rest of his game.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Kid makes 55K in the AHL, Dineen gets him beat up, and now he has to pay a fine. Tough debut. I do like him and hope he can earn a spot on the fourth line.

I'd like RampageNate to talk about his fighting ability a little bit and the rest of his game.
Rampage Nate has told me kid has taken boxing lessons etc, but doesnt hold himself out to be the next Ali.

Dineen will pay a fine and i am sure the kid wont have any out of pocket.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:58 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

What Goldie & Billy didn't mention nor did they show on our broadcast was that Selleck jumped off the bench before his fight. I only know because of the replay on the NHL Network. I can see why between that and starting a fight with under five minutes left in regulation would call for this measure.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Dineen got him beat up?

03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Read on Twitter that Selleck gets 2 game suspension.

In steps Howden.

-ghoste

Old
03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
NHL has suspended him for 2 games. One of them is automatic, the other added on.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:
The incident occurred at 17:02 of the third period. Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and will serve the automatic one-game suspension in addition to the one-game sanction outlined above.

Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Erick

Anyone have a video of the incident? I did not watch the game last night.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
I appreciate him trying to make a statement, even if it ended badly. I wonder if he'll even be healthy for the next game with the way he got clocked. That said, I cannot see how that was instigation, which is one of the silliest rules in the game anyway. It's ok to fight as long as you don't start it...what?

In any case, Howden, don't go far.
As of this morning he said he was fine, just sore.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116930

here you go

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

What's funny is I think Parros came off the bench to fight Boulton the other day, maybe not.

-ghoste

Old
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Erick

Wow, good thing Campbell and Gudbranson were there to help him out. Thanks for posting.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:20 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Dineen got him beat up?
i like that Dineen didnt put up with the BS, and Sellack gained alot of cred.

Thats Hockey.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:07 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Dineen got him beat up?
Yeah, he sent him out against a much bigger fighter and he no choice but to fight him.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:24 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Rampage Nate has told me kid has taken boxing lessons etc, but doesnt hold himself out to be the next Ali.

Dineen will pay a fine and i am sure the kid wont have any out of pocket.
Wouldn't that be illegal?

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
Shhhhhh!

Old
03-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Yeah, he sent him out against a much bigger fighter and he no choice but to fight him.
Lmao, oh ok.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:00 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Lmao, oh ok.
Well, if you look at the facts, Selleck was one the ice THE PREVIOUS shift, only 1 minute before the fight. He is a fourth liner, and played the least amount of any panther (7:47) by almost 3 minutes. So the guy that played the least of anyone was sent over the boards twice within a minute, and this was after Westgarth was pestering Stratchan and trying to get him to drop the gloves.

You have to at least consider the possibility Selleck was sent over the boards for only 1 reason.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:21 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Well, if you look at the facts, Selleck was one the ice THE PREVIOUS shift, only 1 minute before the fight. He is a fourth liner, and played the least amount of any panther (7:47) by almost 3 minutes. So the guy that played the least of anyone was sent over the boards twice within a minute, and this was after Westgarth was pestering Stratchan and trying to get him to drop the gloves.

You have to at least consider the possibility Selleck was sent over the boards for only 1 reason.
Selleck was undoubtedly sent over to go fight and was clearly an instigator, but it's a stupid rule to begin with.

It allows situations like this where Westgarth was clearly causing trouble with someone who did not want to fight him, but because of the rule, Selleck who sticks up for his teammate gets a penalty. Even though it was Westgarth who stirred things up to begin with...

The instigator in last 5 minutes rule is also stupid. It's there to prevent brawls at the end of games with a blow-out, but still severely penalizes players for reactionary instigators like Selleck's.

Selleck only got the additional penalties and suspensions because the instigator was in the last 5 minutes, but it clearly wasn't because it violated the spirit of the rule to prevent end-game brawls. Which is why I think the two game suspension is more severe than he deserved, and if anything, he didn't deserve any suspension.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:52 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
Quote:
Selleck was undoubtedly sent over to go fight and was clearly an instigator, but it's a stupid rule to begin with.

It allows situations like this where Westgarth was clearly causing trouble with someone who did not want to fight him, but because of the rule, Selleck who sticks up for his teammate gets a penalty. Even though it was Westgarth who stirred things up to begin with...

The instigator in last 5 minutes rule is also stupid. It's there to prevent brawls at the end of games with a blow-out, but still severely penalizes players for reactionary instigators like Selleck's.

Selleck only got the additional penalties and suspensions because the instigator was in the last 5 minutes, but it clearly wasn't because it violated the spirit of the rule to prevent end-game brawls. Which is why I think the two game suspension is more severe than he deserved, and if anything, he didn't deserve any suspension.
Good assessment. Proud we are no longer in the era of booth gets steamrolled and we watch like ice capaders.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:

I dont disagree with you and im not upset at what happened (other than Selleck getting thumped). Just pointing out to that particular poster that its pretty clear Dineen threw him out there for a fight. I actually wish we had a few more guys like him; not necessarily goons but just big, burly, badasses that punished other teams physically.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote