HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
I think our team is too young to withstand the ups and downs of a young goalie.
The worst part about this is he's not a young goalie. That was the perennial excuse for years. He'll be 27 in a month. My how time flies, he's no longer a prospect, this is what we got, he ain't much.

10 cent brain, has trouble handling pressure and maintaining focus. These have always been the question marks, and they remain.

Finally but has anybody ever seen a goalie this tall use his frame so poorly and be so absolutely inept at covering top half of net? Its almost incomprehensible how he can make himself so small.

One of the worst butterflies I've seen and he;s on his knees so much of the time.

Plus he's a fantastic disaster as a puck handler.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:20 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
Tonight is one of those nights where save % does not tell the story of DD's performance. On one goal he had no chance in hell,but on 2 of them a better goalie would have stopped them and then in the shootout the mental collapse was complete

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
here's a little story.
Lokomotiv had a special roster this year. it was half youngsters, other role players and over-the-hill vets (doesn't it remind you some other team from across the pond?). that's though no wonder if you remember the circumstances it was assembled under. they struggled to pull themselves together until lockout began and they got that god blessing in free trial of Semyon Varlamov. his unrivaled level of confidence and constant insane level of play did wonders for the team, for example Lokomotiv beat the feared CSKA with Radulov, Datsyuk and quite a handful of NHL-level talent, beat twice in a row, first time coming back from 0-2, second blowing them apart with a shutout, and this kind of little things from Varly all the way.
then lockout ended, and we ended with Curtis Sanford, who is a serviceable goalie but absolutely human. team immediately started going into funny places, blowing leads, even had a copycat of that LA disaster when we managed to eke out a loss in dying moments of what looked already an OT game. with Varlamov in net there were two games that went in our favor that way.
it all ended in a first round loss to an already inferior team that was additionally injury-depleted; they had though an arguably 2nd best goalie in the league. Sanford was letting in just one extra goal every game, while Lokomotiv outshot and outchanced the opposition. Series was lost 2-4, and 5 games out of 6 were one-goal games. i ain't mad because i didn't expect daily wonders from basically an expansion draft team; but there was a couple months long period of wonders and i liked the taste of it.
Dubnyk is basically a Sanford. he is a nice guy, but he can't backstop a team that needs wonders every now and then. since there is little chance of an overhaul which could mutate Oilers' roster to the point when it could win despite average goaltending, like 2010 Blackhawks, i think we should shop for a real netminder, an established one. this could do wonders for this kind of a team, and i speak from experience.

TL;DR variant:
i saw a talented and self-confident 'tender in Varlamov helping a young team with questionable roster win games at a rate nobody expected. i want Oilers to buy them a Varlamov.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Pros and Cons

Dubnyk seems like a good guy, but he is just not the goalie for this team. You can always tell the value of a goalie if he would easily find a job as a number one on any other team. Tell me a team he would be a number one on and do as good or better then he is now.....
He lets in to many soft goals (regardless of his numbers), is not adept at getting side to side quickly enough, and once he is down (yes, he is tall - but the Oilers drafted him) he has issues getting up fast enough.
It is such a shame for this team to have confidence issues with the man in net, but if we had a good #1 tender that could steal games on a consistant basis, this team would be in a playoff position.
You can like Devan as a person all day, but he doesnt have the chops to dominate at this level. He is 27 years old, this team has been standing by him long enough. Remember this is a business.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
Dubnyk seems like a good guy, but he is just not the goalie for this team. You can always tell the value of a goalie if he would easily find a job as a number one on any other team. Tell me a team he would be a number one on and do as good or better then he is now.....
He lets in to many soft goals (regardless of his numbers), is not adept at getting side to side quickly enough, and once he is down (yes, he is tall - but the Oilers drafted him) he has issues getting up fast enough.
It is such a shame for this team to have confidence issues with the man in net, but if we had a good #1 tender that could steal games on a consistant basis, this team would be in a playoff position.
You can like Devan as a person all day, but he doesnt have the chops to dominate at this level. He is 27 years old, this team has been standing by him long enough. Remember this is a business.
What are our realistic options at this point?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

You have to shut down Wingels if you want to beat the Sharks.
Or else you can just have a goalie that can save a Tommy Wingels blaster.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
zeus3007*

You know maybe we actually have a stellar defense, its all Dubnyk. The way the talk goes around here, every goal he lets in is a softie, so if we had a competent goalie, we'd win every game, right?

Sorry guys, we need to figure out the defensive lapses moreso than the goaltending. The Sharks were all over us in the last ten minutes. A goalie who could bail us out would be great, but a defense who could relieve the pressure would be even better.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Beerfish

AS expected DD over achievement early in the season when he saved the teams ass countless times goes out the window pretty quick. You do know how quickly this fan base turns on certain players by the fact that people are calling for Khabby as if he is some sort of savior.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You know maybe we actually have a stellar defense, its all Dubnyk. The way the talk goes around here, every goal he lets in is a softie, so if we had a competent goalie, we'd win every game, right?

Sorry guys, we need to figure out the defensive lapses moreso than the goaltending. The Sharks were all over us in the last ten minutes. A goalie who could bail us out would be great, but a defense who could relieve the pressure would be even better.
I'm sorry, but I don't really care who is on the defense when a Tommy Wingels wrister from the top of the circle with zero visual impediment beats your goalie to tie the game.

How many other starting goalies in the league allow that goal in that circumstance? Not many, and if they do its a one off, not a consistent trend like we see from Dubnyk.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Musashi

Only counted 1 goal DD should of had and it came off an awful giveaway when we should of been able to get the puck out. Regardless how you view Wingels as a player, that was a nice release and a nice shot.

Dubey bounced back and made 4 or 5 big saves in the final 10 minutes.. Don't see how he is the goat in this game

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Chef10

defensive lapese yes they are there i agree 100% but did u see those goals last night like really the 2nd goal how does that go in boarder line on the ice across the net really!!!! come on now and the 3rd goal the worst part of that was that it was on a stupid break down but a good goalie will make that save for you! and he was at the top of his crease when he shot the puck! so where does he need to be to stop it feet in front of him? no wait i have see those go in too. Seems like a great guy for the team but not a num 1 goalie at all

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Njoy Oilers

Pretty sure most people questioning Duby's play is over a wide range of performances. If other teams get to the SO with the Oilers, they are damn near giggling with the oppurtunity to go in alone and pick top cheese on a huge goalie that cannot lift either arm to save his or his teams souls.

High save percentage could be had if you stuck any 6-7 body in net as most shots from beyond the circles will hit some part of his body. To be fair though, his linemates can't get the puck out of their own zone to save the souls of anyone watching.

This is a team with high end prospects and bandaids that are leaking constantly, but is viewed as perfectly fine by managment.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:08 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Only counted 1 goal DD should of had and it came off an awful giveaway when we should of been able to get the puck out. Regardless how you view Wingels as a player, that was a nice release and a nice shot.

Dubey bounced back and made 4 or 5 big saves in the final 10 minutes.. Don't see how he is the goat in this game
Exactly. I'm not even saying that Dubnyk doesn't deserve any criticism. He does, but no more than the rest of the team. Sam Gagner can't be the scapegoat anymore, I guess Dubs has taken that role now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
peck420

Silly thread is silly.

The only people that blame DD are people that have not watched any Oiler's games, or followed any of their stats.

Both show the same result. Goal tender is above league average in performance, skaters are below league average in performance.

DD would have to have a sv% of .935 or better to carry this team to the playoffs with how the current skaters are playing.

How many goalies in the league (that have actually played more than a couple games) have sv% that high? ....1 at 15 games played.

People who think DD is the problem have some serious expectation issues in regards to goalies.

peck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
AS expected DD over achievement early in the season when he saved the teams ass countless times goes out the window pretty quick. You do know how quickly this fan base turns on certain players by the fact that people are calling for Khabby as if he is some sort of savior.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
Silly thread is silly.

The only people that blame DD are people that have not watched any Oiler's games, or followed any of their stats.

Both show the same result. Goal tender is above league average in performance, skaters are below league average in performance.

DD would have to have a sv% of .935 or better to carry this team to the playoffs with how the current skaters are playing.

How many goalies in the league (that have actually played more than a couple games) have sv% that high? ....1 at 15 games played.

People who think DD is the problem have some serious expectation issues in regards to goalies.
1st bolded - your kidding right? That is a more ignorant comment than observant.

2nd bolded - This is definatly true. Meiocre players in front of Duby for sure.

All goalies let in weak goals, but, He is attrocious in shoot outs. Throw those stats out the window once the SO starts, because he is not even close to average in this respect. Cannot lift his 4ft arms at all. Every team that have met the Oilers in SO, have taken advantage of this glaring fault of his.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
1st bolded - your kidding right? That is a more ignorant comment than observant.

All goalies let in weak goals, but, He is attrocious in shoot outs. Throw those stats out the window once the SO starts, because he is not even close to average in this respect. Cannot lift his 4ft arms at all. Every team that have met the Oilers in SO, have taken advantage of this glaring fault of his.
Who cares about SO? If we make the playoffs that doesn't matter.

Rinne himself said you want to beat him take it to the SO, would you stay away from him because of the SO?

For what it's worth last year Dubnyk was top 10 in SO.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
Silly thread is silly.

So let me get this. You are pretending the stats say that Dubs is a quality netminder and were all rubes here because we don't get this alleged fact. Next you're saying that Dubnyks stats would be good if only the players in front of him were better thereby nullifying your first assertion.

Ironic as well that you call out people on not watching the games and then defer to some vague "stats" that state Dubs is great and the team in front of him is all ****.

The team in front of him manage to put forth a winning effort last night and on the basis of play and scoring chances were the better team. But Dubnyk managed to lose the game. This is what the viewing tells us, That the Oilers dominated large stretches of the game and that SJ tied the game against the grain of play 1-1 and then later scored two goals in seemingly successive shots to tie the game.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
peck420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post

So let me get this straight...because the team in front of DD hangs him out to dry on a routine basis, and it is his fault?

I will let you in on a little secret (about the section I bolded)...good teams don't go to shoot outs often.

If your goalie's biggest weakness is his shoot out performance, you are gold.

peck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
I wonder how much tighter the oilers grasp their sticks in their own zone because they are scared to make a mistake because they don't have confidence the goalie can or will stop the puck.
We've seen it with many team over the years that it does affect the play of the skaters if they have no faith in their goalie to not only make a big save, but the saves he should.

Replacement hits it dead on when he said "has anybody ever seen a goalie this tall use his frame so poorly and be so absolutely inept at covering top half of net? Its almost incomprehensible how he can make himself so small."
it's also amazing that a guy his size leaves so much room between himself and the posts, too.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who cares about SO? If we make the playoffs that doesn't matter.

Rinne himself said you want to beat him take it to the SO, would you stay away from him because of the SO?

For what it's worth last year Dubnyk was top 10 in SO.
Good points. But, we lead the league right now in OT/SO losses. He is not the same tender this year as many have said. I will follow up as well and say that he can't lift those wings on high shots while he is on his knees during the game.

He is slotted as a #1 gaolie when he wouldn't on other teams.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:38 AM
backhandsauce

Mike Smith is a UFA.

Sign him.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Mike Smith is a UFA.

Sign him.
Rumor is he wants 6mil to stay in PHX.

Is this what we are looking for going forward?

Smith kinda sucks this year too.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Smith will get super exposed in a non-Tippett system.

Eff that.

Just like Elliott, pre-Hitchcock, pre-this year.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Dabomb

Dubnyk's stick side is so weak. I don't know how many goals he's allowed in short stick side.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote