HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal's rivalries with Toronto/Boston

Old
08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
Montreal's rivalries with Toronto/Boston

For you, do they go further than hockey? For me they sort of do.

Since I hate the Leafs so much, it means that there's no way in hell I could like the Jays (or the Raptors, but who cares about the NBA?). I was in Toronto last summer, and I was proudly telling anyone I talked to that I was from Montreal, and making cracks about the city, and/or their beloved hockey team. I'm just not a huge fan of the city at all.

Boston, however, I find it to be a very nice city, but again... I hate their sports teams. The Red Sox are one of the teams I hate the most in baseball (behind only Florida, and tied with the Yankees). I absolutely despise the Patriots. While they may not technically be Boston... it's close enough. This has a lot to do with me being a Jets' fan, but that's not the point :p.

This thread is in no way intended to just flame the cities, and the residents of them/fans of their teams. I was just curious if other people held a grudge as much as I did.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Phousse

I've never been to Boston and I've never had that big of a grudge with the Bruins besides the traditional Hab-Bruin hate.

Toronto is another story. I hate all of their sportsteams as well as the city itself. It's just such a dirty, rotten city I don't know why anyone would want to live there.

Phousse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:26 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I'm a die-hard habs fan grew up in Montreal and moved to Toronto at the age of 13.

I hate the Leafs and Argos and I'm not a big fan of the city, but I am a Raptors fan and the Jays I've been indifferent about since the Expos left, prior to that I hated them and was an Expos fan. I'm also an Als fan.

Montreal over TO anyday.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Darz

Well, I hate the Leafs more than any other professional sports team, but I do consider myself a Blue Jays (and a lesser extent, Raptors) fan. I don't have a hate on for the city or people (unless they are in Maple Leaf fan mode) of Toronto.

08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I've never been to Boston and I've never had that big of a grudge with the Bruins besides the traditional Hab-Bruin hate.

Toronto is another story. I hate all of their sportsteams as well as the city itself. It's just such a dirty, rotten city I don't know why anyone would want to live there.
Wow, if you think Toronto is dirty, don't come to any big American city...we're so much filthier than you Canadians...

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
HabsUnited

I hate anything Toronto with a passion. Boston, however, I can't really bring myself to hate. For me to hate them, they'd actually have to beat us once in a while. I just think they're funny.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The Leafs and Bruins are 1 thing,I could not compare them to another team from that city. I don't care about Basketball,but my favorite team is San Antonio(I just liked the name when I was young and then 4-5 years later they are the best team in the NBA). If the Raptors do well I would be happy for them.I don't care it's the only canadian team in the NBA and I want them to do well I d'ont care about the City it self.

Also even worse I like the Red Sox and im a really big time Patriots fan.Been all my life and go watch a football game every season.I love the Pats it's the sport and team I cheer the most for after the Habs.We don't have an NFL team so you can cheer for any team who cares for the city.You cheer for the Jets(sorry) the Rangers are an NHL original 6 and we don't like the Rags so why do you cheer for the Jets?

BTW,the Pats are Bleue-Blanc-Rouge

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
David_99

I hate Toronto with a passion. I don't know why, I was born a Habs fan but wasn't raised to hate anything. But when I see a leafs fan with an arogant smirk on his face, I just want to smack it off him cause I know he thinks he's for some reason superior to me.

I should despise Boston because all of my uncles on my mother's side are Bruins fans, and groing up they would always make cracks about the habs and say how much the Bruins are better. Of course, this stopped in 93, but I never really held a grudge against them.

I guess it's mostly the style of play that causes the hate. Boston has had a pretty lousy team (along with the habs) for years now. So the games just meant less. Leafs games however, doesn't matter if they play the Habs or not, just seem to play dirty. If a goalie caught the puck, they are the only team to be able to hack him into the net, or hack his hand until the puck comes loose and score, and not only not get a penatly, but have the goal actually count! I swear I try to be as least biased as possible so I watch a leasf game without the habs and they still play dirty. They'll hook someone to the ground and not get called, the other team accidentally runs into one of their players with 3 seconds left before overtime and that team gets a penalty. Toronto scores in OT and acts like they are king s***.

I can't see me ever respecting the leafs. On the other hand, I hate to say this, but with Thornton gone, and Sammy with us, I look at the bruins as a young team with some good players coming up. The hate is not there. You never know, in a few years if they really improve, the rivalry will ignight again, but I think the hate will be replaced by the ever so tiniest bit of respect. Something the leafs could never get from me.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:19 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Wow, if you think Toronto is dirty, don't come to any big American city...we're so much filthier than you Canadians...
Once upon a time perhaps, but I find that cities like Chicago and NYC (Manhattan specifically) have really done a great job of cleaning up.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Once upon a time perhaps, but I find that cities like Chicago and NYC (Manhattan specifically) have really done a great job of cleaning up.
While Toronto has gone downhill, fast, at the same time.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
While Toronto has gone downhill, fast, at the same time.
It's demise has been prematurely reported, Toronto is still a diverse and dynamic place to live and work.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Guy Caballero

Letting your hatred of a hockey team affect the way your perceive an entire city is pretty sad, guys. Toronto has a lot of problems, which you should expect from a city of over 5 mil with a diverse population, but it's still relatively safe, clean, and civil. You might say you wouldn't want to live there, and I could understand that, but you people that come right out and say that you hate the city should take a look in the mirror and ask yourself where such strong feelings come from.

Guy Caballero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:08 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Letting your hatred of a hockey team affect the way your perceive an entire city is pretty sad, guys. Toronto has a lot of problems, which you should expect from a city of over 5 mil with a diverse population, but it's still relatively safe, clean, and civil. You might say you wouldn't want to live there, and I could understand that, but you people that come right out and say that you hate the city should take a look in the mirror and ask yourself where such strong feelings come from.
Generally the people that profess to hate Toronto (or any other city for that matter) haven't travelled much, if at all, so I don't take them seriously.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It's demise has been prematurely reported, Toronto is still a diverse and dynamic place to live and work.
Well, since I do live and work in Toronto I think I have a pretty reasonable perspective when I say that it is going downhill in terms of pollution and "untidiness". I don't know if that's really much of a "demise" or not, more just a matter of catching up with modern urban reality.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:18 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I don't hate Boston... we don't lose to them. Plus, Pats are my favorite sports team after the Habs. And I kinda like the Red Sox as well.

For Toronto though... hate the Leafs, hate the Argos, hate the Raptors (don't care about basketball), hate the Jays. So basically, hate Toronto teams

Last edited by IcE ColD: 08-04-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo and + teams
IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:27 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, since I do live and work in Toronto I think I have a pretty reasonable perspective when I say that it is going downhill in terms of pollution and "untidiness". I don't know if that's really much of a "demise" or not, more just a matter of catching up with modern urban reality.
I live and work downtown and IMO the tidiness issue (outside of the club area on Richmond St on a Sunday morning ) is overplayed. The pollution problem really isn't something the city can control on it's own.

My biggest gripes are the waterfront and the homeless problem. When I go to Chicago it really drives home how fantastic TO could be if it simply got control of waterfront development from the Toronto Harbour Commission. In terms of the homeless, the City spends over a quarter of a billion dollars on the problem and I've been tripping over the same lost souls for the past 10 years

Old
08-04-2006, 11:27 AM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Well, for me it kinda starts with the Leafs and goes from there. The Leafs taint the whole city from my perspective. If it wasn't for them, I couldn't care less about Toronto.

Old
08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
HabstuckinTO

I don't hate the Bruins any more than other teams. Basically I can't stand any team when they're playing the Habs, but the hatred passes not long after the game ends.

As for the Leafs, I hate the Leafs more than any other sports franchise ever. It borders on craziness. I once thought that I would let my kids grow up and cheer for whatever team they wanted to, but the influences in this city are too great and I realized that our family would be much happier if they were Hab fans. I was proud of my 9-year-old the other day. He was at a friend's place with my wife and it was pouring rain. They had to go out and the only hat available was his buddy's Leaf hat. He just said, "No, I can't wear that" and got soaked. I love that kid. The 5 and 1 year old will follow in his footsteps, if there's a God in heaven.

I always cheer against the Jays, Argos, and Raptors but I don't really care all that much.

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabstuckinTO View Post
I don't hate the Bruins any more than other teams. Basically I can't stand any team when they're playing the Habs, but the hatred passes not long after the game ends.

As for the Leafs, I hate the Leafs more than any other sports franchise ever. It borders on craziness. I once thought that I would let my kids grow up and cheer for whatever team they wanted to, but the influences in this city are too great and I realized that our family would be much happier if they were Hab fans. I was proud of my 9-year-old the other day. He was at a friend's place with my wife and it was pouring rain. They had to go out and the only hat available was his buddy's Leaf hat. He just said, "No, I can't wear that" and got soaked. I love that kid. The 5 and 1 year old will follow in his footsteps, if there's a God in heaven.

I always cheer against the Jays, Argos, and Raptors but I don't really care all that much.
In that spirit, I just went to the sports store to buy our future baby (march) his first Hab t-shirt. The first of many!

Old
08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

If the rivalry with the Bruins was more even then I might hate them with passion, but I hate the Leafs more cuz its pretty even.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:01 PM
KaptainKourage*

I like the Red Sox. Dont hate any of the Blue Jays or Pats..

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Capitano

Quote:
I live and work downtown and IMO the tidiness issue (outside of the club area on Richmond St on a Sunday morning ) is overplayed. The pollution problem really isn't something the city can control on it's own.

My biggest gripes are the waterfront and the homeless problem. When I go to Chicago it really drives home how fantastic TO could be if it simply got control of waterfront development from the Toronto Harbour Commission. In terms of the homeless, the City spends over a quarter of a billion dollars on the problem and I've been tripping over the same lost souls for the past 10 years
Maybe we should just go and headbutt all of the homeless people to get rid of them

Kidding of course. Seriously, I rarely travel downtown during hockey season because I can't stand leaf fans. I get too emotional when I watch our games against them so I normally just watch the game at home with my father so we can yell and scream all we want. As a city though, it's not overly dirty, but I do find Montreal a much nicer place to walk in when I go there. Could just be me feeling good about being a hab fan though hehe.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:22 PM
mcphee

I don't like Toronto a whole lot because I don't really know the city, or have a comfort zone there. It's not dislike, but I find big cities less appealing all the time. I love Mtl., but I go in for quick visits, or sales calls, and head home.

I have a deep seated Leaf hatred that goes beyong rationale. I used to feel that way with The B's, but some of the B's posters have caused me to lose my hatred edge. It's tough when you lose your fastball.

Nothing's better than when you beat either team, esp. when they're ahead of you in the standings.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't like Toronto a whole lot because I don't really know the city, or have a comfort zone there. It's not dislike, but I find big cities less appealing all the time. I love Mtl., but I go in for quick visits, or sales calls, and head home.

I have a deep seated Leaf hatred that goes beyong rationale. I used to feel that way with The B's, but some of the B's posters have caused me to lose my hatred edge. It's tough when you lose your fastball.

Nothing's better than when you beat either team, esp. when they're ahead of you in the standings.
So eloquently put. That makes two of us.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Maybe we should just go and headbutt all of the homeless people to get rid of them

Kidding of course. Seriously, I rarely travel downtown during hockey season because I can't stand leaf fans. I get too emotional when I watch our games against them so I normally just watch the game at home with my father so we can yell and scream all we want. As a city though, it's not overly dirty, but I do find Montreal a much nicer place to walk in when I go there. Could just be me feeling good about being a hab fan though hehe.

Cap

Only if they taunt repeatedly do I headbutt them. BTW: There is a song called Coup de Boule ("headbutt) that is number one on the French charts. long live Zizou.

Every City has it's dingy parts, for the longest time and (even today) some parts of St. Catherines were an eye sore. I'd say on average, Toronto is a fairly clean City.