HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYT: Bargaining for Rights in Exchange for NHL in Olympics (UPD: Daly in Sochi)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
what im talking about is americans , for some reason, dont care about international sporting competitions in our "own" sports. In fact fo ra long time people didnt even realize team sports existed outside the usa .
Nothing in your post is true.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
what im talking about is americans , for some reason, dont care about international sporting competitions in our "own" sports. In fact fo ra long time people didnt even realize team sports existed outside the usa .
"Your NBA World Champions..."

Old
03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
habsrule4eva3089

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
"Your NBA World Champions..."
NFL World Champions when only one country in the world plays American Football

Last edited by habsrule4eva3089: 03-15-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 11:47 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The Olympics do not really help the NHL. The once every four years fans are not flocking to their local teams after the games are over anymore than fans of the Fab-5 (womens gymnastics) are flocking to their next non-olympic event).

Selling out arenas around North America.

I understand what you are trying to say, but using the Fab-5 was a poor example. In fact, probably the poorest. Gymnastics and figure skating actually usually tour a bit after the Oylmpics, and those tours usually do quite well. A much better example would be people not flocking to Aston Eaton's next track performance. (Eaton won the gold in Men's Decathalon)

Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
NFL World Champions when only one country in the world plays American Football
Yup.

The CFL totally operates exclusively in the U.S.A.

Is it silly? Sure. But let's not pretend that the U.S.A is the only place that place American football.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:54 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Rugby, cricket, soccer, handball etc.. world championships are played by the best in world and are the high acheivement in there sports. The domestic leagues are no where near as important as the national teams. In fact in rugby union and handball domestic leagues only recently have they professionalized. in the usa people get all up in arms when NFL sends there teams to england and says the NFL should only be in the usa. Also what other countries call for amatres to represent there national teams in international competition?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 PM
joelef

Quote:
Look at the WBC . It was are "national pastime" and yet Japan, Taiwan, Korea and Latin America care more about it.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

I understand what you are trying to say, but using the Fab-5 was a poor example. In fact, probably the poorest. Gymnastics and figure skating actually usually tour a bit after the Oylmpics, and those tours usually do quite well. A much better example would be people not flocking to Aston Eaton's next track performance. (Eaton won the gold in Men's Decathalon)
Yup, an event where they compete 3-4 times a year due to how grueling it is. Not exactly the best example.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Yup.

Is it silly? Sure. But let's not pretend that the U.S.A is the only place that place American football.
Well it (and Canada) are the the only places where people care enough to watch it on tv in huge numbers.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:09 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Yup.

There are different rules. I don't think "rouge" is American.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:51 AM
joelef

New Zealand national rugby team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Super rugby

MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sprong training>>>>>>>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> WBC Team USA

Old
03-16-2013, 12:57 AM
joelef

Quote:
I bet its true for my grandpas generation.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
For everyone who is against the Olympics, is it because you want the profits to go to the NHL/NHLPA instead of the various ice hockey federations?
I want the NHL and NHL clubs to have say in the health of there players and to have safety of insurance covering there assets playing in Olympics

Also it is absurd that NHL is forbidden rights to highlights when it is NHL players under contract playing in tournament which shuts down NHL season for 2 weeks

I support NHL here ,, I hope NHL players are in olympics but if the NHL pulls out I am fine with there reasons

Old
03-16-2013, 07:04 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

Yes, a tour of Olympic Champions. They become the flavor of the month. Think the 2015 US Championships is going to get a lot of hype? The 2015 World Championships?

Old
03-16-2013, 10:37 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

MOD NOTE:

Let's get back to discussing the NHL players in the Olympics, shall we?

The rest is becoming very political and xenophobic.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I want the NHL and NHL clubs to have say in the health of there players and to have safety of insurance covering there assets playing in Olympics

Also it is absurd that NHL is forbidden rights to highlights when it is NHL players under contract playing in tournament which shuts down NHL season for 2 weeks

I support NHL here ,, I hope NHL players are in olympics but if the NHL pulls out I am fine with there reasons
If the NHL pulls out and only wants a World Cup, where in the past profits only went to the NHL/NHLPA, are you ok with that?

Take into consideration MLB's WBC (which is similar to the NHL's World Cup) hands out $40 million of its profits to every participating national federation, and stipulates half of the money must be spent on amateur/grassroots development. That's how you use your event to grow a sport, not like the World Cup of Hockey.

The Olympics simply does more for the national federations in supporting their grassroots program then the World Cup ever has.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:19 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Yup.

CFL plays Canadian football, not American.... Canadian football is older too, btw, before you try to suggest that they just ripped off American football.

Quote:
Actually it's very true, not sure how you can argue that. Even after the Miracle on Ice (which was only shown tape-delayed) there was very little interest in international team sports until the '94 World Cup held in the U.S.

And today the World Cup is really the only international team sport that gets any attention in this country, which is mostly due to people cheering for their ancestral/ethnic homelands, not Team USA.

Last edited by EbencoyE: 03-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Lacaar

I watch hockey in the Olympics because it's the only time they get together and play by country.

If the NHL was smart enough to organize their own version with the players Union and Ice hockey federation and even the various SEL, FEL, RSL.. I'd gladly watch that instead.

Olympic hockey isn't watched by olympic fans.. it's watched by hockey fans.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I watch hockey in the Olympics because it's the only time they get together and play by country.
Huh? There are World Championships at the Senior, U-20, and U-18 levels every year.

Quote:
If the NHL was smart enough to organize their own version with the players Union and Ice hockey federation and even the various SEL, FEL, RSL.. I'd gladly watch that instead.
They did do that, the World Cup of Hockey which failed miserably, and the NHL was smart enough to give up on it and focus on a hockey tournament that people actually watch - the Olympic hockey tournament.

Quote:
Olympic hockey isn't watched by olympic fans.. it's watched by hockey fans.
Yeah, I doubt the 20 Million people in China that watched the Norway - Switzerland round robin game were already hockey fans.

There's no way in hell there's 28 Million hockey fans in the U.S. either.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...s-waiting-game

Team USA waiting to hear if NHL players will be involved before naming GM. Think tank met Tuesday (before GM meetings) to discuss (NHL) player evaluations.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10038795/

Travel into/out of Sochi major sticking point.
Quote:
While there are several contentious matters to be resolved before NHLers are cleared for Olympic take-off, transporting the players, coaches and staff to and from Sochi ranks “among the top three issues,” said a source. The problem is the potential for inclement weather, including fog, and that there are few serviceable airports nearby to get the players back to North America in time for the resumption of the NHL regular season.

As it stands, the 2014 Olympics run Feb. 7-23, which means the NHL will have to shut down for approximately 18 days to accommodate a fifth participation in the Olympic hockey tournament. Given Sochi’s location and weather challenges – it is situated on the shores of the Black Sea next to the Caucasus Mountains – extra days may be needed to get out of Sochi. That could see the NHL resuming its regular season with some of its best players still in transit.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:55 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10038795/

Travel into/out of Sochi major sticking point.
I have strong feeling we won't see NHL-ers in Sochi

Old
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Slenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
I have strong feeling we won't see NHL-ers in Sochi
Of course we will. Blaming on weather issues is just a way of bargaining. What they really want is access to highlights etc.

"The weather is a bit of an issue.... But, if we get the rights to play highlights on our web page it's ok".

Old
03-21-2013, 09:03 AM
cutchemist42

Planes fly through fog all the time, IFR flights anyone? Sounds like a scapegoat to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_flight_rules

Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Planes fly through fog all the time, IFR flights anyone? Sounds like a scapegoat to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_flight_rules
Playing Devil's advocate here. Given Russia's Aviation Authority's track record, I could where there's a "concern". Taking "advantage" of that concern? Perhaps... imo

Closed Thread