HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
  #176
enarwpg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
...and in other news...

George Fallar writes an interesting ??? piece stating (amongst other things)...

😳 *"...*One thing is for certain, though, there ARE multiple legitimate groups very interested in pursuing both owning the Coyotes and keeping them in Glendale. There remains an obvious alternative, US Airways Center, for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona should Glendale continue to fiddle about. ..." R I G H T .... But not a $320 million dollar gifted fund to buy and operate the team in that arena. But then maybe Glendale can work out a deal whereby ST holders park in the Westgate parking lot ($ amount TBD), eat at one of the many restaurants, get bused to downtown Phoenix for the game, then get bussed back to Westgate to party afterwards, then drive home.*

😳 *"...*It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ..." Significant funds they wish to hold on to, not lose over the next 5-10 years. What is this guy smoking?

Source: *http://thehockeywriters.com/phoenix-...still-unclear/


Last edited by enarwpg: 03-21-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added content
enarwpg is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 06:30 AM
  #177
JimAnchower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
...and in other news...

George Fallar writes an interesting ??? piece stating (amongst other things)...
Why doesn't Fallar just throw his hat into the ring? Sure, he doesn't have enough money to buy the team, but none the others he listed do either. We know Jamison doesn't personally have the money, and few think he was ever close to the asking price. Unless Kaites is acting on behalf of the Reinsdorf's, he won't have nearly enough money either. Plus, the Reinsdorf's have already stated that they aren't prepared to go to the NHL's asking price. Ice Edge isn't even worth discussing, and the fact he still lists them shows me he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Terry Bross won't have the money himself. So why doesn't Fallar just throw his name in? It would only make things even more of a joke than they already are.


Last edited by JimAnchower: 03-21-2013 at 06:52 AM.
JimAnchower is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 07:23 AM
  #178
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
...and in other news...

George Fallar writes an interesting ??? piece stating (amongst other things)...

😳 *"...*One thing is for certain, though, there ARE multiple legitimate groups very interested in pursuing both owning the Coyotes and keeping them in Glendale. There remains an obvious alternative, US Airways Center, for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona should Glendale continue to fiddle about. ..." R I G H T .... But not a $320 million dollar gifted fund to buy and operate the team in that arena. But then maybe Glendale can work out a deal whereby ST holders park in the Westgate parking lot ($ amount TBD), eat at one of the many restaurants, get bused to downtown Phoenix for the game, then get bussed back to Westgate to party afterwards, then drive home.*

😳 *"...*It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ..." Significant funds they wish to hold on to, not lose over the next 5-10 years. What is this guy smoking?

Source: *http://thehockeywriters.com/phoenix-...still-unclear/
Fallar writes to give the impression that he is providing an objective analysis, and then he makes the following statement:

Quote:
Obviously the lockout and several referendum and initiative attempts cost Mr. Jamison some investors and probably the goodwill of others yet we assume he is making good progress toward his goal.
George, that was Glendale's mistake - assuming that Jamison was making good progress. How will things improve with nothing concrete on the table in terms of a massive AMF subsidy, which had piqued his interest before?

I liked this reference:

Quote:
The Ice Edge people are interested as well and were spotted at a recent game in Glendale. Since then, however, former and probably current Ice Edge participant Daryl Jones removed the “almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes” text from his Twitter page.
Why even mention the Ice Edge guys? Their 15 minutes expired long ago.

Whileee is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 07:42 AM
  #179
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.
 
Wonko the Sane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,898
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Glen or Glendale?
This NEEDS to be a thread title!

I've actually watched Glen or Glenda from beginning to end.... bizarre man, bizarre.

Wonko the Sane is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
  #180
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,742
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Plan 9-let's see who gets the reference
Ah yes... a classic.

Isn't it is generally a good idea to actually have a plan before trying to name it???

As far as the Coyotes go... as best one can tell, there is no plan. Bettman is just wingin' it at this point. But if you need a name, try "Un plan parfait"

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  #181
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Glen or Glendale?
Oh, very nice!

Killion, yea you got it alright-I own the film what a great piece of work-gotta give credit to Mr Wood on working what what he had. That cast is more bizarre than Wood's work, kudos!

TheLegend, yea it still applies

Mungman, I agree it does need to be a thread title-just works in so many ways

cbcwpg-Well listening to the commentary, he did actually have a kinda/sortof plan, probably more than NHL had in its dealings with Glendale-at least Wood made a go of it with whatever money he could scrounge up-whereas the amount of money put into the Yotes Saga......it's just as bizarre.


Last edited by Tinalera: 03-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Tinalera is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:55 AM
  #182
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Apocalypse, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 1100
"Before last year’s elections we heard a lot of open government promises. Are the same kind of big spending Glendale council members still keeping our citizens in the dark?

For too many years, we tried spending millions to keep NHL hockey at Westgate. Bond payments on Jobing.com Arena cost the city about $1 million every month. It is time to know what other management companies can do with our multipurpose building."

Source:

http://www.glendalestar.com/opinion/...a4bcf887a.html

Llama19 is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
  #183
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
"Before last year’s elections we heard a lot of open government promises. Are the same kind of big spending Glendale council members still keeping our citizens in the dark?

For too many years, we tried spending millions to keep NHL hockey at Westgate. Bond payments on Jobing.com Arena cost the city about $1 million every month. It is time to know what other management companies can do with our multipurpose building."

Source:

http://www.glendalestar.com/opinion/...a4bcf887a.html
Did you catch the author's name? Ken Jones.

MNNumbers is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
  #184
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
...and in other news...

George Fallar writes an interesting ??? piece stating (amongst other things)...

😳 *"...*One thing is for certain, though, there ARE multiple legitimate groups very interested in pursuing both owning the Coyotes and keeping them in Glendale. There remains an obvious alternative, US Airways Center, for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona should Glendale continue to fiddle about. ..." R I G H T .... But not a $320 million dollar gifted fund to buy and operate the team in that arena. But then maybe Glendale can work out a deal whereby ST holders park in the Westgate parking lot ($ amount TBD), eat at one of the many restaurants, get bused to downtown Phoenix for the game, then get bussed back to Westgate to party afterwards, then drive home.*
i LOVE this! fantastic solution. well done, beavis!

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
  #185
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,580
vCash: 262
I've heard less practical ideas regarding the Yotes....

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  #186
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Did you catch the author's name? Ken Jones.
He's certainly got a good point. It didnt take a whole lot of critical thought throughout last year when it became pretty apparent Jamison was going nowhere, that with the fall election pending, a newly seated Mayor & Council in January that further delays would just naturally occur regardless of whatever they promised on the campaign trail. Take time to get up to speed, cleaning house, issuing RFP's, just on & on.

Its cold, harsh, but I think the soul may have left the body for good on January 31st, 2013, JIG's Up, and really what were watching unwind in the here & now is indeed Dead Man Walking. Hard not to believe so... though plenty of others argue transcendence actually occurred over a decade ago when Scottsdale sent Steve Ellman packing; perhaps even earlier when Burke & Gluckstern wound up at the then named AWA under Colangelo's thumb. Theres nothing worse than seeing unfulfilled potential go wasted, whether its in an individual or a situation like this. Plenty of blame to go around, fingers pointing everywhere, just sad, pathetic, what a waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i LOVE this! fantastic solution. well done, beavis!
Pretty sure he's being sarcastic, facetious. Sure hope so GS. Mad Dogs & Englishman who shouldnt be spending too much time out in the noontime Sun. Rather hard to avoid if you live in Arizona. Sometimes hard to tell.


Last edited by Killion: 03-21-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Killion is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
  #187
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,742
vCash: 350
It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ...

Funny. If I say "it's a fact" in a forum I get called out on it and have to supply links to those facts etc., yet I can call myself a "hockey writer" and put whatever I want in a blog.

Then again, I guess this is kind of truthful and a "fact". Buyers have always been very interested in the Coyotes....just as long as they don't have to use their own money to run it.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
  #188
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Funny. If I say "it's a fact" in a forum I get called out on it and have to supply links to those facts etc., yet I can call myself a "hockey writer" and put whatever I want in a blog.
Well, welcome the 21st Century cbc. Everyone & anyone can be a Website Warrior, set up a site or blog, spiel on about just anything they please without peer review, requirements to substantiate claims, going unchallenged.... thats the nice thing about this place, hf, Moderated appropriately, Bull$#!& called. Id rather be engaging in & engaged with other like minded individuals who are objective & honest about things any day of the week. Comparatively speaking, this particular thread quite literally light years beyond any other "source" per se', including traditional & on-line fully accredited media, other chat boards, whatevers appearing in the blogosphere.

Killion is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  #189
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???
 
NHLfan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glendale
Country: United States
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Silence is deafening.

As a Glendale, AZ resident, it is infuriating that nobody has asked from the media or whereever what the heck is going on? I haven't really checked in here lately either but the lack of news is just maddening.

What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.

As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.

MOD


Last edited by kdb209: 03-21-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: natd
NHLfan4life is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
  #190
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Silence is deafening. What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.... As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.
Ya, pretty hard not to be picking up on that vibe from STH's here & elsewhere. The NHL & the City just leaving people hanging. Not that theres anything terribly new about that, but.... its pretty clear somethings cooking and it doesnt smell good. If Im a fan in Phoenix with a sizeable emotional & financial investment in this thing, a little respect would be nice, as in a "state of the Coyotes sale process update" please & thank you with some candid & honest statements from Weiers & Bettman. Surely the media in Az must be asking questions, as in "has Beacon really been retained & if so, when will the RFP's be issued?" and just on & on & on. Everyone refusing comment apparently so why wildly speculate? No idea really. But its either a quiet before the storm or just more quiet for what? Another year? Two years? Whats the plan? WTF are you people doing?

Killion is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  #191
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,743
vCash: 500
I got my season-ticket renewal package in the mail today. Curious to know if the NHL is planning to solicit renewals from Coyotes STH any time soon.

It was one thing when ASG took renewals from Thrashers fans even as the clock was striking midnight. We know where their interests were. But it would be something different if the NHL took money from fans of a team it was actively scheming to relocate.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
  #192
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I got my season-ticket renewal package in the mail today. Curious to know if the NHL is planning to solicit renewals from Coyotes STH any time soon.

It was one thing when ASG took renewals from Thrashers fans even as the clock was striking midnight. We know where their interests were. But it would be something different if the NHL took money from fans of a team it was actively scheming to relocate.
would that surprise you? sending out renewal packages might help sell a few more walk-up tix this year. and if i were the gm, i would probably send them out, if only to hold on to that last glimmer of hope for my staff.

now, i had been told the team was in fact leaving, dotted lines signed, moving vans warming up, and "here's your french-english dictionary", well, yeah, maybe not.

stay tuned indeed, eh.

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
  #193
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
would that surprise you? sending out renewal packages might help sell a few more walk-up tix this year. and if i were the gm, i would probably send them out, if only to hold on to that last glimmer of hope for my staff.

now, i had been told the team was in fact leaving, dotted lines signed, moving vans warming up, and "here's your french-english dictionary", well, yeah, maybe not.

stay tuned indeed, eh.
That's exactly why I'm interested to see how they handle renewals. Being the league itself, and not a private owner, I'd expect they will try not to do anything that could be totally demonized as deceiving the fans. It's one thing to not be certain of the future, and proceed on the assumption that things will still be status quo next season. That's reasonable. But if, as you say, they already know the team is leaving... well, taking ticket money for next season would just be dirty dealing.

IMO, the timing and contents of those renewal letters are a canary worth keeping an eye on.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
  #194
yotesreign
Registered User
 
yotesreign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goldwater Blvd
Country: United States
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I got my season-ticket renewal package in the mail today. Curious to know if the NHL is planning to solicit renewals from Coyotes STH any time soon.

It was one thing when ASG took renewals from Thrashers fans even as the clock was striking midnight. We know where their interests were. But it would be something different if the NHL took money from fans of a team it was actively scheming to relocate.

Sorry for not reporting in sooner, I got my season-ticket renewal package and playoff package two days ago, with a mid April deadline to sign & return.

They have a paragraph that if the team relocates before the 2013-2014 season, the Coyotes will guarantee a refund of any monies paid towards the 2013-2014 tickets.


They also bill the first round up front and only bill for subsequent rounds as they advance out of the prior round (same as before).

They had a similar clause last year (refund if the team relocated before the 2012-2013 season).

I did get a new account rep; don't know if my former rep moved on or got reassigned, haven't bothered to look into that yet.

Judging by the lack of responses here though, I don't think many season tickets holders frequent these threads here.



ADD: I don't look at renewal notices as a sign of anything, be it nefarious or otherwise. I suppose if someone is paranoid that the team will relocate and that guarantee of a refund might become as worthless as a Snidely Whiplash assurance, that guy wouldn't renew, but then I suspect someone that paranoid has never owned season tickets in his life.

I might have to downsize to 2 seats though as my son who has been going to all the games with us plans to be off at college this fall and I won't have need of the 3rd ticket for every game.


Last edited by yotesreign: 03-21-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addition
yotesreign is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
  #195
yotesreign
Registered User
 
yotesreign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goldwater Blvd
Country: United States
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Silence is deafening.

As a Glendale, AZ resident, it is infuriating that nobody has asked from the media or whereever what the heck is going on? I haven't really checked in here lately either but the lack of news is just maddening.

What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.

As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.

There is no news because there is no news. They haven't sold the team to anyone who will keep the team here next season, and no one has a new lease agreement.


but, in the name of people wanting news when there is no new news... here ya go:



yotesreign is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
  #196
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

Why even mention the Ice Edge guys? Their 15 minutes expired long ago.
[wiping liquid beverage from screen]

Shall I list all references to Ice Edge made in these threads this past year??

TheLegend is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
  #197
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
[wiping liquid beverage from screen]

Shall I list all references to Ice Edge made in these threads this past year??
Have a heart, HF boards only have so much bandwith

Tinalera is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
  #198
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.

Its cold, harsh, but I think the soul may have left the body for good on January 31st, 2013, JIG's Up, and really what were watching unwind in the here & now is indeed Dead Man Walking.
There is the Title of the next thread: Dead Team Skating

aqib is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
  #199
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Apocalypse, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
There is the Title of the next thread: Dead Team Skating
Next Thread Title: Even the dead leave fingerprints

Llama19 is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
  #200
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Have a heart, HF boards only have so much bandwith
... yes. Bandwidth. I always concerned with that when Moderating. None of my Heirs taking up the mantle. Going Green.
Kids. They just dont care these days. Leaving lights on all over the house. Having to drive to a store not 2 blocks away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
We could probably handle it--
Reckless, irresponsible use of the quote function, replicating entire passages, like the kdb Megalink posts. Nearly a page long. Wasting Bandwidth while burning out the retinas of your audience. Like pointing one of those laser pens into the cockpit of an airplane. FAA, Homeland Security, Cops... Mods oughtta be on that $#*& like white on rice.

Killion is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.