HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
enarwpg

vCash: 500
...and in other news...

George Fallar writes an interesting ??? piece stating (amongst other things)...

😳 *"...*One thing is for certain, though, there ARE multiple legitimate groups very interested in pursuing both owning the Coyotes and keeping them in Glendale. There remains an obvious alternative, US Airways Center, for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona should Glendale continue to fiddle about. ..." R I G H T .... But not a $320 million dollar gifted fund to buy and operate the team in that arena. But then maybe Glendale can work out a deal whereby ST holders park in the Westgate parking lot ($ amount TBD), eat at one of the many restaurants, get bused to downtown Phoenix for the game, then get bussed back to Westgate to party afterwards, then drive home.*

😳 *"...*It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ..." Significant funds they wish to hold on to, not lose over the next 5-10 years. What is this guy smoking?

Source: *http://thehockeywriters.com/phoenix-...still-unclear/

Last edited by enarwpg: 03-21-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added content
Old
03-21-2013, 06:30 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
...and in other news...

Why doesn't Fallar just throw his hat into the ring? Sure, he doesn't have enough money to buy the team, but none the others he listed do either. We know Jamison doesn't personally have the money, and few think he was ever close to the asking price. Unless Kaites is acting on behalf of the Reinsdorf's, he won't have nearly enough money either. Plus, the Reinsdorf's have already stated that they aren't prepared to go to the NHL's asking price. Ice Edge isn't even worth discussing, and the fact he still lists them shows me he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Terry Bross won't have the money himself. So why doesn't Fallar just throw his name in? It would only make things even more of a joke than they already are.

Last edited by JimAnchower: 03-21-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Whileee

Quote:
...and in other news...

😳 *"...*One thing is for certain, though, there ARE multiple legitimate groups very interested in pursuing both owning the Coyotes and keeping them in Glendale. There remains an obvious alternative, US Airways Center, for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona should Glendale continue to fiddle about. ..." R I G H T .... But not a $320 million dollar gifted fund to buy and operate the team in that arena. But then maybe Glendale can work out a deal whereby ST holders park in the Westgate parking lot ($ amount TBD), eat at one of the many restaurants, get bused to downtown Phoenix for the game, then get bussed back to Westgate to party afterwards, then drive home.*

😳 *"...*It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ..." Significant funds they wish to hold on to, not lose over the next 5-10 years. What is this guy smoking?

Source: *http://thehockeywriters.com/phoenix-...still-unclear/
Fallar writes to give the impression that he is providing an objective analysis, and then he makes the following statement:

Quote:
Obviously the lockout and several referendum and initiative attempts cost Mr. Jamison some investors and probably the goodwill of others yet we assume he is making good progress toward his goal.
George, that was Glendale's mistake - assuming that Jamison was making good progress. How will things improve with nothing concrete on the table in terms of a massive AMF subsidy, which had piqued his interest before?

I liked this reference:

Quote:
The Ice Edge people are interested as well and were spotted at a recent game in Glendale. Since then, however, former and probably current Ice Edge participant Daryl Jones removed the “almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes” text from his Twitter page.
Why even mention the Ice Edge guys? Their 15 minutes expired long ago.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Glen or Glendale?
This NEEDS to be a thread title!

I've actually watched Glen or Glenda from beginning to end.... bizarre man, bizarre.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Plan 9-let's see who gets the reference
Ah yes... a classic.

Isn't it is generally a good idea to actually have a plan before trying to name it???

As far as the Coyotes go... as best one can tell, there is no plan. Bettman is just wingin' it at this point. But if you need a name, try "Un plan parfait"

Old
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Glen or Glendale?
Oh, very nice!

Killion, yea you got it alright-I own the film what a great piece of work-gotta give credit to Mr Wood on working what what he had. That cast is more bizarre than Wood's work, kudos!

TheLegend, yea it still applies

Mungman, I agree it does need to be a thread title-just works in so many ways

cbcwpg-Well listening to the commentary, he did actually have a kinda/sortof plan, probably more than NHL had in its dealings with Glendale-at least Wood made a go of it with whatever money he could scrounge up-whereas the amount of money put into the Yotes Saga......it's just as bizarre.

Last edited by Tinalera: 03-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
"Before last year’s elections we heard a lot of open government promises. Are the same kind of big spending Glendale council members still keeping our citizens in the dark?

For too many years, we tried spending millions to keep NHL hockey at Westgate. Bond payments on Jobing.com Arena cost the city about $1 million every month. It is time to know what other management companies can do with our multipurpose building."

Source:

http://www.glendalestar.com/opinion/...a4bcf887a.html

Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
"Before last year’s elections we heard a lot of open government promises. Are the same kind of big spending Glendale council members still keeping our citizens in the dark?

For too many years, we tried spending millions to keep NHL hockey at Westgate. Bond payments on Jobing.com Arena cost the city about $1 million every month. It is time to know what other management companies can do with our multipurpose building."

Source:

http://www.glendalestar.com/opinion/...a4bcf887a.html
Did you catch the author's name? Ken Jones.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
...and in other news...

i LOVE this! fantastic solution. well done, beavis!

Old
03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 262
I've heard less practical ideas regarding the Yotes....

Old
03-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Did you catch the author's name? Ken Jones.
He's certainly got a good point. It didnt take a whole lot of critical thought throughout last year when it became pretty apparent Jamison was going nowhere, that with the fall election pending, a newly seated Mayor & Council in January that further delays would just naturally occur regardless of whatever they promised on the campaign trail. Take time to get up to speed, cleaning house, issuing RFP's, just on & on.

Its cold, harsh, but I think the soul may have left the body for good on January 31st, 2013, JIG's Up, and really what were watching unwind in the here & now is indeed Dead Man Walking. Hard not to believe so... though plenty of others argue transcendence actually occurred over a decade ago when Scottsdale sent Steve Ellman packing; perhaps even earlier when Burke & Gluckstern wound up at the then named AWA under Colangelo's thumb. Theres nothing worse than seeing unfulfilled potential go wasted, whether its in an individual or a situation like this. Plenty of blame to go around, fingers pointing everywhere, just sad, pathetic, what a waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i LOVE this! fantastic solution. well done, beavis!
Pretty sure he's being sarcastic, facetious. Sure hope so GS. Mad Dogs & Englishman who shouldnt be spending too much time out in the noontime Sun. Rather hard to avoid if you live in Arizona. Sometimes hard to tell.

Last edited by Killion: 03-21-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
It’s a fact that there are buyers very interested in the Coyotes in Arizona and the groups have significant funds. ...

Funny. If I say "it's a fact" in a forum I get called out on it and have to supply links to those facts etc., yet I can call myself a "hockey writer" and put whatever I want in a blog.

Then again, I guess this is kind of truthful and a "fact". Buyers have always been very interested in the Coyotes....just as long as they don't have to use their own money to run it.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Funny. If I say "it's a fact" in a forum I get called out on it and have to supply links to those facts etc., yet I can call myself a "hockey writer" and put whatever I want in a blog.
Well, welcome the 21st Century cbc. Everyone & anyone can be a Website Warrior, set up a site or blog, spiel on about just anything they please without peer review, requirements to substantiate claims, going unchallenged.... thats the nice thing about this place, hf, Moderated appropriately, Bull$#!& called. Id rather be engaging in & engaged with other like minded individuals who are objective & honest about things any day of the week. Comparatively speaking, this particular thread quite literally light years beyond any other "source" per se', including traditional & on-line fully accredited media, other chat boards, whatevers appearing in the blogosphere.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Silence is deafening.

As a Glendale, AZ resident, it is infuriating that nobody has asked from the media or whereever what the heck is going on? I haven't really checked in here lately either but the lack of news is just maddening.

What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.

As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.

MOD

Last edited by kdb209: 03-21-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: natd
Old
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Silence is deafening. What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.... As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.
Ya, pretty hard not to be picking up on that vibe from STH's here & elsewhere. The NHL & the City just leaving people hanging. Not that theres anything terribly new about that, but.... its pretty clear somethings cooking and it doesnt smell good. If Im a fan in Phoenix with a sizeable emotional & financial investment in this thing, a little respect would be nice, as in a "state of the Coyotes sale process update" please & thank you with some candid & honest statements from Weiers & Bettman. Surely the media in Az must be asking questions, as in "has Beacon really been retained & if so, when will the RFP's be issued?" and just on & on & on. Everyone refusing comment apparently so why wildly speculate? No idea really. But its either a quiet before the storm or just more quiet for what? Another year? Two years? Whats the plan? WTF are you people doing?

Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I got my season-ticket renewal package in the mail today. Curious to know if the NHL is planning to solicit renewals from Coyotes STH any time soon.

It was one thing when ASG took renewals from Thrashers fans even as the clock was striking midnight. We know where their interests were. But it would be something different if the NHL took money from fans of a team it was actively scheming to relocate.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I got my season-ticket renewal package in the mail today. Curious to know if the NHL is planning to solicit renewals from Coyotes STH any time soon.

It was one thing when ASG took renewals from Thrashers fans even as the clock was striking midnight. We know where their interests were. But it would be something different if the NHL took money from fans of a team it was actively scheming to relocate.
would that surprise you? sending out renewal packages might help sell a few more walk-up tix this year. and if i were the gm, i would probably send them out, if only to hold on to that last glimmer of hope for my staff.

now, i had been told the team was in fact leaving, dotted lines signed, moving vans warming up, and "here's your french-english dictionary", well, yeah, maybe not.

stay tuned indeed, eh.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
would that surprise you? sending out renewal packages might help sell a few more walk-up tix this year. and if i were the gm, i would probably send them out, if only to hold on to that last glimmer of hope for my staff.

now, i had been told the team was in fact leaving, dotted lines signed, moving vans warming up, and "here's your french-english dictionary", well, yeah, maybe not.

stay tuned indeed, eh.
That's exactly why I'm interested to see how they handle renewals. Being the league itself, and not a private owner, I'd expect they will try not to do anything that could be totally demonized as deceiving the fans. It's one thing to not be certain of the future, and proceed on the assumption that things will still be status quo next season. That's reasonable. But if, as you say, they already know the team is leaving... well, taking ticket money for next season would just be dirty dealing.

IMO, the timing and contents of those renewal letters are a canary worth keeping an eye on.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Sorry for not reporting in sooner, I got my season-ticket renewal package and playoff package two days ago, with a mid April deadline to sign & return.

They have a paragraph that if the team relocates before the 2013-2014 season, the Coyotes will guarantee a refund of any monies paid towards the 2013-2014 tickets.

They also bill the first round up front and only bill for subsequent rounds as they advance out of the prior round (same as before).

They had a similar clause last year (refund if the team relocated before the 2012-2013 season).

I did get a new account rep; don't know if my former rep moved on or got reassigned, haven't bothered to look into that yet.

Judging by the lack of responses here though, I don't think many season tickets holders frequent these threads here.

ADD: I don't look at renewal notices as a sign of anything, be it nefarious or otherwise. I suppose if someone is paranoid that the team will relocate and that guarantee of a refund might become as worthless as a Snidely Whiplash assurance, that guy wouldn't renew, but then I suspect someone that paranoid has never owned season tickets in his life.

I might have to downsize to 2 seats though as my son who has been going to all the games with us plans to be off at college this fall and I won't have need of the 3rd ticket for every game.

Last edited by yotesreign: 03-21-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Silence is deafening.

As a Glendale, AZ resident, it is infuriating that nobody has asked from the media or whereever what the heck is going on? I haven't really checked in here lately either but the lack of news is just maddening.

What the heck is the NHL doing sitting on their hands doing nothing. We can all assume they are negotiating with buyers, etc. but come on. AZ news media sucks.

As a STH, this whole thing is a slap in the face from the NHL, CoG AND the team.

There is no news because there is no news. They haven't sold the team to anyone who will keep the team here next season, and no one has a new lease agreement.

but, in the name of people wanting news when there is no new news... here ya go:

Old
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

Why even mention the Ice Edge guys? Their 15 minutes expired long ago.
[wiping liquid beverage from screen]

Shall I list all references to Ice Edge made in these threads this past year??

Old
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
[wiping liquid beverage from screen]

Shall I list all references to Ice Edge made in these threads this past year??
Have a heart, HF boards only have so much bandwith

Old
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

Its cold, harsh, but I think the soul may have left the body for good on January 31st, 2013, JIG's Up, and really what were watching unwind in the here & now is indeed Dead Man Walking.
There is the Title of the next thread: Dead Team Skating

Old
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
There is the Title of the next thread: Dead Team Skating
Next Thread Title: Even the dead leave fingerprints

Old
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Have a heart, HF boards only have so much bandwith
... yes. Bandwidth. I always concerned with that when Moderating. None of my Heirs taking up the mantle. Going Green.
Kids. They just dont care these days. Leaving lights on all over the house. Having to drive to a store not 2 blocks away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
We could probably handle it--
Reckless, irresponsible use of the quote function, replicating entire passages, like the kdb Megalink posts. Nearly a page long. Wasting Bandwidth while burning out the retinas of your audience. Like pointing one of those laser pens into the cockpit of an airplane. FAA, Homeland Security, Cops... Mods oughtta be on that $#*& like white on rice.

Closed Thread