HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Lacaar

vCash: 500
You can almost see the urine puddles this team produces with a late lead.

Oilers 3rd period with a lead check list.
1) shorten the bench to the forwards that can't do a break out other than whack it along the boards.
2) Watch Ryan Smyth whack it mercilessly against 3 San Jose players that were camping there for 10 seconds knowing that Edmonton doesn't do anything but shoot it along the boards with a lead.
3)Score goal off the turnover.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
At the game.

Seemed like a real disjointed choppy affair. Can't say the Oilers really deserved to be up 3-1 but wasn't shocked when SJ tied it up.

The lines sucked but that's what happens when you only have 2 centers on 4 lines.

Dubnyk had to at least have the last goal in a 3-2 playoff implication game in the 3rd period.

Had to say we really didn't have many scoring chances again even strength or on the PP.

I realize SJ has the #3 PK or whatever but a 4 minute PP with nothing to show for it was weak.
I would submit that nobody was surprised when San Jose tied it up....it was expected.
Hopefully one day this team wont piss its pants in a situation like that because thats pretty much all it does now.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
I thought the game was entertaining and the oilers don't look like a joke anymore. We can stay with the better teams for most of games. 10 games ago we looked like we had nothing at all and it was sad. Now mistakes (team and coaching) and full game focus are costing us games not lack of team talent. As we improve on that then we will win most games.

Finally a team worth cheering for. Go Oilers go.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ugh for **** sakes.

Dubnyk wasn't great, but to pin this on him now is stupid.

This team still isn't good enough, they are "battling" for the playoffs, but clearly not a playoff team yet.

I want to see out of this loss:

1. Changes, the Oilers have picks and prospect, time to get better. Belanger doesn't care, Smyth is Done and the blueline isn't good enough, improve this. It doesn't have to be a Massive move, but something that changes the dynamic. I look at Florida, they have what the Oilers need to make that change

The Nuge's importance, even when he's not scoring, is pretty massive, the Oilers went from have Balance that was tough for the Sharks to match to having to make Jordan Eberle useless.

Not good enough, but this team really isn't yet, and that's the reality.
JJ only one goal was not his fault last night--he has a problem and I think it starts between his shoulders--once he starts screwing up he just continues

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

It's a downward spiral from here on in.
We know these players.

They feel weak and defeated.

2 Stl games, Nash, Van and CBJ.

I see us winning the Nash game and thats it. 1w, 4l over the next 5 games.
Welcome to the lottery.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
aw... my Oilers.... finding away to pull defeat from the jaws of victory....

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Gotta sit Smyth for a game I think.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
JJ only one goal was not his fault last night--he has a problem and I think it starts between his shoulders--once he starts screwing up he just continues
Probably Look at all the other team's with "top Goaltenders" I'm surprised they ever allow goals ever, I don't they all play perfect hockey all the time?

For **** sakes, Dubnyk wasn't good enough last night, but he's been FAR and AWAY good enough this season. This team isn't GOOD ENOUGH, so any mistakes by anyone, Especially the goaltender, are magnified.

Seriously, if you guys are going to do it, would just ****, get off the pot and pour your energy into running him out of town already, because this stuff gets really tiresome.

I wonder how many Dubnyk "detractors" are fans of Tommy Salo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Krueger doesn't believe in accountability.

He said he did before the season, but he also said he believes in "playing to win" instead of "playing not to lose".

I wonder if he lied in his job interview too?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

My best guess is "dreamers and Realists" both expect too much from this team.

They aren't good enough to be consistent, whether we like it or not.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:

Mmhmm.

This game put away any happiness I had going forward.
Don't care what happens now.

3-1 lead going into the 3rd, with a regulation win needed for a playoff spot (if even for a day)?

I don't see many more wins after this game, I hope they prove me wrong, but I am not expecting any success until the end of the season.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Dabomb

Don't understand why Krueger always changes things up in the 3rd period. I get that he might wanna shorten the bench in the 3rd to protect a lead.. but really, did Yakupov or Hartsy do anything to deserve sitting on the bench? Did Smyth do anything to deserve getting extra ice time and 2 shifts in a row? Also that was a pretty stupid penalty by Whitney to take. And don't get me started on Dubnyk. What a horrible horrible game by him.

Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
czar99

16 page thread vs 4 page for the Nashville game. Safe to say the fans were emotionally invested in this one.

Very disappointing.

Wreck-It-Ralph is NOT an NHL coach.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Anyone have a vid/gif of the Yakupov hit?

Old
03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Don't understand why Krueger always changes things up in the 3rd period. I get that he might wanna shorten the bench in the 3rd to protect a lead.. but really, did Yakupov or Hartsy do anything to deserve sitting on the bench? Did Smyth do anything to deserve getting extra ice time and 2 shifts in a row? Also that was a pretty stupid penalty by Whitney to take. And don't get me started on Dubnyk. What a horrible horrible game by him.
The only thing that the coaches are teaching Yakupov is to panic in the third when up. Yak should be out there getting experience and confidence in those situations. We **** the bed every third so the coaches have no excuse to not play Yakupov in the third period. Instead he'll double up the vets with dinosaur legs and play to lose.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
armandh01

I don't like RK's end game change ups but that is hardly the reason why we lost. Number 1 culprit was Whitney taking an incredibly dumb penalty and giving the sharks momentum. This guys time is up. He lost us about 3 or 4 games early in the season with his poor defensive decisions on top of this game. He's too much of a liability for the meagre offense he adds.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I don't like it as well, generally I am only in favor of going down to 3 lines if there is catching up to do. IMO this move to play your best players is always a bit risky and I definitely think it is a bad move when the team is in the lead and thus have "control". After 2/3rds of a game where you have managed to control the events to the extent that you are ahead should not be a reason to shake up the lines which made it happen.

edit: Sorry, I actually didn't see this game so I don't know if they did actually play three lines or not in the end or if it was just about double shifting some players (I made the assumption that they went to three lines). Anyway, even if this was only about double shifting players and still playing 4 lines, I don't like shaking things up for the same reasons as I outlined above.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Especially when they are down to 2 NHL centres.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
The only thing that the coaches are teaching Yakupov is to panic in the third when up. Yak should be out there getting experience and confidence in those situations. We **** the bed every third so the coaches have no excuse to not play Yakupov in the third period. Instead he'll double up the vets with dinosaur legs and play to lose.
especially considering that Yakupov was showing great energy and emotion in the 3rd period too with those two hits on that one shift. Did Yak even see the ice again after that? Yah I just don't get why you would wanna change things up with the lines when things seem to be working fine the first 2 periods. You just gotta trust your players to get it done, even the young ones. Instead of coaching 'not to lose'.. just continue with what made the team successful so far in the game.

This team has handed away far too many points this year. Theres probably like an extra 5 to 10 points that we've just sh*tted away this season. Also Hemsky's play has dropped off quite a bit lately. He's not flying like earlier in the season and lots of plays are dying on his stick.

Last edited by Dabomb: 03-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
It might be good in the long run if we sat Eberle out for a game ...

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
DIBZ

I know everyone is all over Ralph Krueger for his late game line juggling, I think it’s ridiculous, I don’t get the fact that we are sitting on leads. Even if it’s his call, when you put plugs on the ice, that try to trap. He has said we don’t ever sit on leads. Then effing bench the guys who continue to “sit on these leads”.

It has been said in here a few times, but why is Yakupov getting punished? I don’t know if Rexall has been that loud since Gagners 8 point game, the place was buzzing, the momentum finally back into our favor after a lack luster third, and we bench our little ball of energy. I though we drafted the kid, because he had all the skills in the world, brought a bunch of energy, and played a physical game that we lacked. I doubt if the kid understand anymore on how to play hockey, every time he does something right, he gets stapled to the bench… baffles me.

But my main point is, Ralph Krueger not only is terrible in the third, but all throughout the game, Is not the advantage of being the home team the last change?, At one point in the second there was a puck deflected over the glass in our end, SJ Brings out the top line of Joe Thornton, we counter with Smyth’s line, I understand Horcoff was on the ice prior to the whistle, but match up wise this guy seems to have no clue, I don’t get why we have our 3rd and 4th lines ever starting shift in our own end unless they have too after an icing. Our best players offensively should be capable enough to get the puck out, I am sick of him setting our team up to fail in these situations. There has also been other examples where we keep a team hemmed in there end, and after they ice it, we counter with the 4th line. What happened to matching our 4th line with there’s a few times, then putting our top line out against the 4th. This guy continues to stick to his guns of rolling 4lines, no matter the occasion, at least last night a few guys played the minutes they should (Brown). The 3rd period turtle is ridiculous, and everyone sees it coming, but there are a handful of moments throughout the game, where other teams coaches must be laughing at the decision we make. We get out played in the match up game in our own barn… ridiculous

DIBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
It might be good in the long run if we sat Eberle out for a game ...
You can't blame Eberle for his Center being Done as a winger? He's talented, but not magic for **** sakes.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
DIBZ

Quote:
You can't blame Eberle for his Center being Done as a winger? He's talented, but not magic for **** sakes.
I actually felt bad for ebs tonight, I wonder if the coaching staff apologized to him before the game. I would hate to come to work, and see my name on the board with 2 guys that give no effort, I thought he did reasonably well considering who were his line mates.

DIBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Yakupov had his best shift as an Oiler and was immediately benched for the rest of the game after it. Dubnyk played awful hockey and 3 out of 4 of those goals should've been stopped.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
I actually felt bad for ebs tonight, I wonder if the coaching staff apologized to him before the game. I would hate to come to work, and see my name on the board with 2 guys that give no effort, I thought he did reasonably well considering who were his line mates.
Effort isn't really the issue with Smyth, it's execution. Jones is a floater though. Not physical at all, cheats a ton for offense. made a nice play to capitalize on a Sharks error to get the goal, but that's about all he did. That said, I'd rather have Jones on the ice than Brown.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote