HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
  #926
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Is Nathan Horton still unsigned for next year? I wouldn't mind going after him this off season.


Last edited by Ash35: 03-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Ash35 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
  #927
Cor
Former LL Member
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,767
vCash: 50
Horton would be nice... but who does he replace?

Only guy I think is MacArthur, but Horton will get a lot (6+) and doesn't fit into our cap.

JVR - Bozak/??? - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Horton
Frattin - Bozak/Grabo - Kulemin

would be a nice Top 9.

Cor is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:37 AM
  #928
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
EDIT: Looks like I completely miss-read what you wrote. My bad. MacArthur for a 2nd, not with a 2nd for Boyle. My bad!
It happens, been there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
Is Nathan Horton still unsigned for next year? I wouldn't mind going after him this of season.
Yep. I could see his other side come out come the playoffs and be the Nasty Nate B's fans loved last season. If that happens, I think they'll re-sign him short term, big money.

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
  #929
buntek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
i love Ashton's game by the way. He'll be a solid 3rd liner for the Leafs for years
You can rub it in in a few years if you're right, but I strongly disagree.

buntek is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
  #930
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,772
vCash: 50
If Kulie is staying long term, Frattin rounds out his game more and Colborne continues his AHL play this year, a solid 3rd line next year....

Kulemin - Colborne - Frattin

Keeping the Kadri - Lupul chemistery alive on the second line.

Lupul - Kadri - xxxxxxx

Then keeping the JvR - Bozak - Kessel line, unless we get an upgrade on C. Which leaves a bottom line of

Komarov - McClement - McLaren/Orr

gives us 4th solid line with one winger slot to fill in, and spare pieces in Grabo and MacA

Hero is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
  #931
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
It happens, been there myself.



Yep. I could see his other side come out come the playoffs and be the Nasty Nate B's fans loved last season. If that happens, I think they'll re-sign him short term, big money.

I hear Boston is having a hard time fitting him under the cap for next season. I'm sure he will ask for at least Garbovski money..

Ash35 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
  #932
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Defensive acumen wouldn't hurt either.
EHHH, tbvh, I'm kinda convinced that any line with Kessel is going to have to out score their short comings.

I mean from this prospective, IF Kadri/Lups Kuli,Frat turn into a big threat, that shifts other teams resources.

We could then consider making the Kessel line as offensive as possible.

I really don't see the "Bozak defensive" skill so many are going on about.

Hell I'm about ready to try Grabo with them.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
  #933
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If Kulie is staying long term, Frattin rounds out his game more and Colborne continues his AHL play this year, a solid 3rd line next year....

Kulemin - Colborne - Frattin

Keeping the Kadri - Lupul chemistery alive on the second line.

Lupul - Kadri - xxxxxxx

Then keeping the JvR - Bozak - Kessel line, unless we get an upgrade on C. Which leaves a bottom line of

Komarov - McClement - McLaren/Orr

gives us 4th solid line with one winger slot to fill in, and spare pieces in Grabo and MacA
I know SJ fans shot down my idea of Kessel for Burns but they need goal scoring and i'm not convinced owners are trying to win it now there

Kessel and Gunnar for Burns and Clowe +

sign Clarkson

JVR/Grabo/Lupul
Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin
Clowe/Colborne/Clarkson

That top 9 is solid as and would be hard to play against.

pspot is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
  #934
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I know SJ fans shot down my idea of Kessel for Burns but they need goal scoring and i'm not convinced owners are trying to win it now there

Kessel and Gunnar for Burns and Clowe +

sign Clarkson

JVR/Grabo/Lupul
Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin
Clowe/Colborne/Clarkson

That top 9 is solid as and would be hard to play against.
UMMM WHAT??????????

Clowe is a pending UFA so i hold 0 value in him. You want Clowe sign him in the off season.

Burns for Kessel straight up ??? nooooooo thanks.

I'm not a Kessel fan but what PK brings to the table is a lot more then what Burns does.

We don't need a right handed version of Dion, 1 Dion is enough.

I would consider Dion for Burns.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
  #935
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,948
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Horton would be nice... but who does he replace?

Only guy I think is MacArthur, but Horton will get a lot (6+) and doesn't fit into our cap.

JVR - Bozak/??? - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Horton
Frattin - Bozak/Grabo - Kulemin

would be a nice Top 9.
I'm not sure about 6+. I'd give him a generous 5 and call it a deal.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
  #936
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,570
vCash: 500
If Horton requires anything more than 4, I'll stay far away from him.

He'll get ripped apart here due to his inconsistencies.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  #937
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,519
vCash: 500
I think the Leafs resources could be better used this summer getting Clarkson and a good top 4 d-man that can eat up minutes.

I know there is Colborne but there is that kid Leivo in Kitchener that is a hell of a player.

daveleaf is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
  #938
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I think the Leafs resources could be better used this summer getting Clarkson and a good top 4 d-man that can eat up minutes.

I know there is Colborne but there is that kid Leivo in Kitchener that is a hell of a player.
I'd rather take a shot at a C.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:43 AM
  #939
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I'd rather take a shot at a C.
Who's out there brother? I would love one to but #1 c's are hard to find.

daveleaf is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:48 AM
  #940
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I know SJ fans shot down my idea of Kessel for Burns but they need goal scoring and i'm not convinced owners are trying to win it now there

Kessel and Gunnar for Burns and Clowe +

sign Clarkson

JVR/Grabo/Lupul
Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin
Clowe/Colborne/Clarkson

That top 9 is solid as and would be hard to play against.
If that "+" isnt couture, SJ can GTFO. Burns sucks so bad at D, he is being used as a forward. Clowe is past his prime and a UFA.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
  #941
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
I say we take a stab at trying to get Bobby Ryan. JVR + Gunnerson + 2nd

Ash35 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 AM
  #942
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
If that "+" isnt couture, SJ can GTFO. Burns sucks so bad at D, he is being used as a forward. Clowe is past his prime and a UFA.
Get a clue man. He was playing forward because he was coming off an injury, and the forward role he was put in wasn't as physically demanding as he would be dealing with on D.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82088&dateline=135762  5592
Schenn is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
  #943
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
EHHH, tbvh, I'm kinda convinced that any line with Kessel is going to have to out score their short comings.

I mean from this prospective, IF Kadri/Lups Kuli,Frat turn into a big threat, that shifts other teams resources.

We could then consider making the Kessel line as offensive as possible.

I really don't see the "Bozak defensive" skill so many are going on about.

Hell I'm about ready to try Grabo with them.
Probably, but defensive ability in a center is always appreciated.

Bozak is no defensive phenom but he's responsible.

He's also decent on the offensive side of things but definitely not on the same level as Kessel.

It'd be interesting to see Grabo up there but he's been a bit of a black hole offensively lately.

Spazmatic Dan is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
  #944
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
EHHH, tbvh, I'm kinda convinced that any line with Kessel is going to have to out score their short comings.

I mean from this prospective, IF Kadri/Lups Kuli,Frat turn into a big threat, that shifts other teams resources.

We could then consider making the Kessel line as offensive as possible.

I really don't see the "Bozak defensive" skill so many are going on about.

Hell I'm about ready to try Grabo with them.
In line with this, i'd like to see something like

JVR/Kadri/Lupul - teams would have to respect this line
Mac/Bozak/Kessel - let the line open up and push the pace....i'd even try Komarov , his pressure could really cause breakdowns that lead to open ice chances

IMO if you put JVR with Kessel they'll get top pairing if you put JVR with Kadri and Lupul they get top pairing

pspot is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
  #945
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
Get a clue man. He was playing forward because he was coming off an injury, and the forward role he was put in wasn't as physically demanding as he would be dealing with on D.
So its good sign when the coach changes you from defense to forward?

Either way, he hasnt played great when he was playing defense. Not something we need, especially for our PPG forward

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:46 AM
  #946
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Who's out there brother? I would love one to but #1 c's are hard to find.


kadri is our 1C
no point in getting a centre

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  #947
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Both Horton & Clarkson are going to want term of 4 years or more at a cap hit of 4 million +.

Leafs should pass on both of these guys as they'd regret those contracts very shortly after.

Horton has a bad concussion history.

Clarkson has only had two good offensive seasons (with a lot of powerplay time I might add) and most players of his style quickly see their games fade around 30 because of the wear and tear it takes on their body.

I'd rather the Leafs sign one of Morrow, Cleary, Higgins, Jagr or McDonald to a one to two year deal max leaving the team with lots of roster flexibility and not potentially locked into a bad contract for an extended period of time.

Ricky Bobby is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
  #948
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Both Horton & Clarkson are going to want term of 4 years or more at a cap hit of 4 million +.

Leafs should pass on both of these guys as they'd regret those contracts very shortly after.

Horton has a bad concussion history.

Clarkson has only had two good offensive seasons (with a lot of powerplay time I might add) and most players of his style quickly see their games fade around 30 because of the wear and tear it takes on their body.

I'd rather the Leafs sign one of Morrow, Cleary, Higgins, Jagr or McDonald to a one to two year deal max leaving the team with lots of roster flexibility and not potentially locked into a bad contract for an extended period of time.


isn't this why the Leafs signed Connolly?

Clarkson brings so much more to a team then just stats and if this team has any hope of competing in the playoffs then they'll need players like Clarkson

pspot is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
  #949
Asif16*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
Eklund says, we have entered the Bowmeester Chase. The leafs are also in on Derek Roy. Says the leafs are also interested in Boyes

Asif16* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
  #950
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
[/B]

isn't this why the Leafs signed Connolly?

Clarkson brings so much more to a team then just stats and if this team has any hope of competing in the playoffs then they'll need players like Clarkson
This. It's players like him that propel teams like the Devils to perrenial success.

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.