HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What will the NHL Canadian TV deal look like?

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
FakeKidPoker*

vCash: 500
TSN is about to lose some of their CFL coverage in a couple months as well.. probably to both of Rogers and CBC

Old
02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Diatidialga

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
TSN is about to lose some of their CFL coverage in a couple months as well.. probably to both of Rogers and CBC
I doubt it, CBC ****** up the CFL way to much when they had it.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
FakeKidPoker*

It is about money.

TSN pays 20 million right now for the package.

CFL wants 40-45 million per year.. they will lose some of the rights

Old
02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Darlotto99

Um no CFLand TSN just resigned their exclusive deal and will end in 2018 i belive.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Do we have any rating numbers to compare our broadcasters?

I like to think that ratings for the broadcasters will play a large role in determining what the contracts will look like

Old
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
TSN - Wednesday night exclusive national broadcast
CBC - Saturday night exclusive national broadcast
SNET - Sunday night exclusive national broadcast

Playoffs will mostly be split up between TSN and CBC. It might not be worth it for SNET to get a big chunk of games in May and June considering that they are committed to airing all Blue Jays games.

I just hope that Bell & Rogers can pry away some HNIC Leafs games from CBC. I can't stand watching Hughson and Healy comment on Leafs games. They're extremely biased against the Leafs. CBC does not deserve to broadcast Leafs games anymore. Lets see how HNIC fares when you put on two small market Canadian teams, like Winnipeg vs. Ottawa.
CBC will not pay top dollar if the Leafs are not part of the equation.

Everyone wants a piece. Its in the NHL's best interest to have as many partners as possible. Problem in Canada is that the regional packages are important as well. So if you create another national package, it has to be at the expense of the regional deal.

What will be interesting is if Bell and Rogers come together and make a bid for the main national package. Much like when they bought MLSE to guarantee content, they were able to avoid bidding against one another. If they could come to some arrangement on a rotation on their various outlets, they could easily outbid CBC.

But if CBC loses the hockey deal, they might be dead, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
I doubt it, CBC ****** up the CFL way to much when they had it.
Agreed. TSN is like Canada's ESPN. They are amazing at hyping up events. The CFL has benefited tremendously from being on TSN, and TSN has treated the CFL royally. TSN has pulled all the stops in marketing the CFL.

CFL will probably be willing to take a small cut to take advantage of the TSN hype machine.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Agreed. TSN is like Canada's ESPN. They are amazing at hyping up events. The CFL has benefited tremendously from being on TSN, and TSN has treated the CFL royally. TSN has pulled all the stops in marketing the CFL.

CFL will probably be willing to take a small cut to take advantage of the TSN hype machine.
The CFL would be insane to weaken their relationship with TSN. I think you could make a strong case that TSN saved the league. CBC broadcasts were horrible, and when CTV was involved they were worse.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
Um no CFLand TSN just resigned their exclusive deal and will end in 2018 i belive.
I recall an extension recently as well.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Darlotto99

CFL is not going anywhere they resigned with TSN/Bell

Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
But if CBC loses the hockey deal, they might be dead, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
As much as Bettman would sell his own mother if he could get a better deal, he realises this is the situation. If the CBC were to lose hockey, it could completely kill the station and they would probably never recover. Some people might think this is a good thing but it reduces the competition. So TSN/CTV could overpay for this contract, and then the next time completely underbid since there is no one to oppose them. That is why I think HNIC is safe for now.

On the other hand, the NHL has slowly been pulling back rights that CBC used to have. There are more Canadian teams playing Sat afternoon to avoid HNIC and get their own local TV dollars. CBC no longer has exclusivity for Canadian teams in the playoffs and not even the full 3rd round. I think the next deal might even see HNIC lose their Saturday night exclusivity and perhaps a full semi-final series going to TSN.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Darlotto99

I can see Rogers buying the HNIC brand from CBC And Sportsnet teaming up with CBC for a second rights deal. HNIC brand would be used across all SN networks and CBC.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:49 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
If CBC losses out, I won't be sad. They can keep the Leafs as a regional and not loose much. It seems mostly Leaf fans are hopping for CBC to hang on.

I'd rather CTV pick them up where they can leverage TSN and company to provided much better product and coverage.
You think the owners of the Leafs will provide better coverage for other teams than the CBC?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
CBC's (English network) problems as a sports broadcaster...
  • They apparently have only 3 HD trucks nationwide.
  • 2 are available for hockey
    • One does the Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton circuit (tough luck, Winnipeg)
    • The other one is in the east, usually doing HNIT (Hockey Night In Toronto)
  • Due to either union or management stupidity, they will NOT accept a "clean feed" from another broadcaster (not even CBC French) and add their own audio+graphics.
  • If necessary, they will use their own, or a rented, SDTV truck, and use their own crew
  • Plus, being a "regular TV network", they can only show one game at a time, and a double-header on Saturday is all they can handle anyways.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
SilverSeven

Huh? CBC plays regional games every weekend...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
madhi19

CBC will have to pony up the cash if they want to keep HNIC but could still lose exclusivity. With so many Canadian teams and two more on the way the NHL would be better off splitting it two or three ways anyway. Also Toronto Night In Canada on CBC is going to be a thing of the past. Rogers and Bell own the Leafs and I expect they use that position to make most if not all the Leafs games a Rogers/Bell property. They be fool not to but they pay market value for those rights.

Expect Quebecor to make a splash both by owning the New Nordique but also by starting an English version of TVA Sports. I expect new national deal to be up for grab for just about every days of the week. Rogers will grab Friday and Sunday, TSN will grab Monday on top of Wednesday. CBC will be told that if they want to keep Saturday they have to add another day like Tuesday. The NHL will want to maximise their Canadian revenue stream and exposure because that where the big sponsorship money is. The bigger the exposure the bigger the sponsorship revenue. Also regional blackout will be gone the network don't like the angst they get from clients because of them and cable operator are moving kicking and screaming to "a la carte" offering. Bell FibeTV and Videotron are doing it and the rest will join them in the 21th century sooner or later. In a real "a la carte" system if a channel piss you off by having blackout that channel is gone am looking at you Sporstnet! Centre Ice will become the thing you buy to watch American teams play against American teams.

No matter what happen your cable bill will go up. The NHL will sell you chunk of Centre Ice by sneaking part of it inside other network and you're going to pay for it if you want any sports no matter if you want CI or not.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Huh? CBC plays regional games every weekend...
And the fans on the Winnipeg sub-forum are grumbling about "widescreen" pseudo-HDTV garbage. Yes, CBC has a bunch of camera trucks throughout the country, but they're not all HDTV by any means.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I wonder if Netflix is going for a piece of the action.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
RussianFive
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
CBC will retain the saturday night rights, 2 playoff series per round, one of the conference championships and the finals.

TSN will pick up the rest of the playoffs, retain their current package.

Sportsnet will get a less desirable national deal of some sort maybe Sundays or something along those lines.

That's how it's going to end up.
I can see this being the most likely scenario. Even at a lower cost, the NHL benefits from having CBC on board. As others have said, it enables them to have multiple Canadian bidders, whilst having a regular showcase every Saturday night for the NHL product that will be the centrepiece of an entire network . I think part of the continued success of the NFL for instance is that there are a guaranteed number of NFL games available on free-to-air stations (CBS and Fox) at specific times every Sunday, which keeps the interest of casual fans. It makes sense in that respect for the NHL to continue with CBC. I don't think it makes much sense for the NHL to go down the same route as MLB and have one conference final series being shown on a free-to-air channel and another being shown on cable.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
CFL is not going anywhere they resigned with TSN/Bell
link?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

CBC is a great example of the negative effects of American cultural hegemony and of how even the best laid social institutions can rot from institutional neglect. It wasn't so long ago that CBC could compete by producing high end CanCon and importing a smattering of British and American shows to supplement it. Canadians who love other institutions, like the healtchare system, need only to tune to the Ceeb to be reminded of what can happen to proud social institutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Just like the Grey Cup? And the entire CFL season for that matter?
The CFL is peanuts compared to the NHL. They take scraps of interest where they can get it. The NHL would logically be more concerned with the future of cable as a distribution model... if, as I think many people expect, it's days are approaching a point of being numbered in the US, it won't be long before Canada follows suit. Investing too heavily in cable in an era of cable cutting, online and on-demand streaming and growing calls south of the border for the federal government to force ala carte bundling would be too foolish an error for even the NHL to make.

Last edited by Brodie: 03-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But I doubt Conservative Harper would like to be seen as anti-Patriotic. And if he cans HNIC, it will hurt his image.
The Canadian Tories are like Janus... wrapping themselves up in Queen and country and then attacking any cultural institution that dares not meet their Darwinian standards. They like to have their cake and eat it, too. They can only manage this, though, by being experts at the game. They won't do anything that would jeopardize HNiC, there's no obvious gain from it. They will cut CBC funding, but I wouldn't be shocked if they specifically budgeted a certain amount for the continuing of Hockey Night. The people feeling the deep cuts will be those providing local radio services, regional niche programming and other "meaningless" cultural content that aren't profit making national institutions.

You'll see Coronation Street off of CBC before HNiC, but that one wouldn't actually be a loss.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:45 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The Canadian Tories are like Janus... wrapping themselves up in Queen and country and then attacking any cultural institution that dares not meet their Darwinian standards. They like to have their cake and eat it, too. They can only manage this, though, by being experts at the game. They won't do anything that would jeopardize HNiC, there's no obvious gain from it. They will cut CBC funding, but I wouldn't be shocked if they specifically budgeted a certain amount for the continuing of Hockey Night. The people feeling the deep cuts will be those providing local radio services, regional niche programming and other "meaningless" cultural content that aren't profit making national institutions.

You'll see Coronation Street off of CBC before HNiC, but that one wouldn't actually be a loss.
CBC does not need government funding for HNiC. It is paid for by its own advertising revenues.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
gmyx

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1133...cast-agreement

Quote:
As part of the extension, TSN and RDS secure exclusive media rights to all CFL pre-season and regular season games, playoffs, and the Canadian icon that is the Grey Cup, as well as to the CFL Draft and CFL Combine. The CFL regular season broadcast schedule expands to 81 games next year in 2014 when the new Ottawa franchise joins the league. The CFL will also see additional games broadcast in French with more games being broadcast on RDS2.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Fourier

Another article on the same deal. This one suggest that TSN has a new deal with the CFL for $40M per season. They say that this is up from $15M in previous years.

http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories...broadcast-deal

This makes you wonder how much the NHL will end up with.

Closed Thread