HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Willing to die on Mars?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
So pretty much they are asking, "Who willingly wants to spend the rest of their life locked up like a criminal who committed murder?"

But then again at least those guys get fresh air and visitation rights.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 23246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
So pretty much they are asking, "Who willingly wants to spend the rest of their life locked up like a criminal who committed murder?"

But then again at least those guys get fresh air and visitation rights.
How is colonising a new planet remotely akin to being locked up like a prisoner in a jail?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Can i watch hockey on Mars?

Also, will a similar situation be eventually unfolding...

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
How is colonising a new planet remotely akin to being locked up like a prisoner in a jail?
Where will they be going once they arrive? Right to their pods or whatever they will call them. Seems like a jail cell to me. Can't leave, cant go anywhere. They won't be outside on the planet making huts and cabins and starting a new civilization

Old
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Where will they be going once they arrive? Right to their pods or whatever they will call them. Seems like a jail cell to me. Can't leave, cant go anywhere. They won't be outside on the planet making huts and cabins and starting a new civilization
Didn't know jail was voluntary, required years of training, and let you receive pay checks

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:22 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
So why do people go and spend six+ months on the space station? Smaller "cell", can't go outside, etc. etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
So why do people go and spend six+ months on the space station? Smaller "cell", can't go outside, etc. etc.
6 Months or the rest of your life, yea that sounds very similar. And at least your getting back to use all that money you will make.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Didn't know jail was voluntary, required years of training, and let you receive pay checks
Yea the pay checks, im sure they have some great Malls on Mars to spend it on.

Years of training to be locked away on Mars never to see your family again or enjoy the outdoors.

Jail = Locked away, dont see friends/family, no freedom to do what you want go where you want.
Mars Space Station = Locked in a pod, dont see friends/family, no freedom to do what you want or go where you want.

Difference is at least one of those you will be free at some point to see friends/family again..(assuming your not in for life)

Old
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Green Blob*

This project will never be a go anyway, not for a good 2-3 more decades at least considering its "privately being funded and created". Remember how many times we heard of privately funded space crafts being made for the public to just go up in space for a day? Yea, still waiting on those, so "living on Mars" isnt happening anytime soon.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Yea the pay checks, im sure they have some great Malls on Mars to spend it on.

Years of training to be locked away on Mars never to see your family again or enjoy the outdoors.

Jail = Locked away, dont see friends/family, no freedom to do what you want go where you want.
Mars Space Station = Locked in a pod, dont see friends/family, no freedom to do what you want or go where you want.

Difference is at least one of those you will be free at some point to see friends/family again..(assuming your not in for life)
Your also assuming that you will never see friends and family again. If this is the start of a colony, there very well could be couples going together, the creation of families. Also after 8 years of training, these people are likely going to be friends as they will not want to send individuals with huge conflicts off on this mission.

Mars will have to be explored, so I don't see how they will be locked in a pod. They will likely be able to come and go as they please, or as their work requires. Sure it's not the same as being on Earth but it is really a false or incomplete analogy to compare it to being in jail.

A person does not decide to go to jail, they will decide to go on this mission.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
This project will never be a go anyway, not for a good 2-3 more decades at least considering its "privately being funded and created". Remember how many times we heard of privately funded space crafts being made for the public to just go up in space for a day? Yea, still waiting on those, so "living on Mars" isnt happening anytime soon.
Must be fun being a pessimist. Read up and see that there are a number of plans for have missions to the moon and mars in the next decade or so. Many of which are privately funded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...an-travel.html

Old
03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Must be fun being a pessimist. Read up and see that there are a number of plans for have missions to the moon and mars in the next decade or so. Many of which are privately funded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...an-travel.html
Been hearing about that for the last decade, and thats it. I've seen nothing to show me that any of it is anywhere near about to happen, and thats just a "simple" trip to the moon and back. Forgive me for not wanting to hold my breath that this living on Mars idea doesn't happen in the next 20 years.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Your also assuming that you will never see friends and family again. If this is the start of a colony, there very well could be couples going together, the creation of families. Also after 8 years of training, these people are likely going to be friends as they will not want to send individuals with huge conflicts off on this mission.

Mars will have to be explored, so I don't see how they will be locked in a pod. They will likely be able to come and go as they please, or as their work requires. Sure it's not the same as being on Earth but it is really a false or incomplete analogy to compare it to being in jail.

When they decide to drive drunk and kill 10 people, or pull that trigger, they pretty much do decide they want to go to jail

Old
03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:

Problem is it doesn't really sound like a colony in what I think you mean by colony.

And lets say it was - IDK, if it was the start of an attempt to make Mars habitable and lead by the major world powers - I'd consider going. Hell even if it was a whole bunch of companies who wanted to put up the money, resources - I'd consider it.

I mean I may live/work in cramped quarters and a full spacesuit but I know my work will mean future generations on Mars won't. That is something I can get behind.

But even if it was a legitimate colony (I don't think what the OP linked to is) - that wouldn't be my thing - it sounds like it would be cramped living/working with no plan for the future. Exploring Mars, walking on Mars may sound good but I doubt it would be that fun to me.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Problem is it doesn't really sound like a colony in what I think you mean by colony.

And lets say it was - IDK, if it was the start of an attempt to make Mars habitable and lead by the major world powers - I'd consider going. Hell even if it was a whole bunch of companies who wanted to put up the money, resources - I'd consider it.

I mean I may live/work in cramped quarters and a full spacesuit but I know my work will mean future generations on Mars won't. That is something I can get behind.

But even if it was a legitimate colony (I don't think what the OP linked to is) - that wouldn't be my thing - it sounds like it would be cramped living/working with no plan for the future. Exploring Mars, walking on Mars may sound good but I doubt it would be that fun to me.
It might be fun the first 10-15 times you walk outside on the empty planet, but that sure would get old fast.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
I don't think this is about money but more then adventure. I am sure they will have no problem finding people willing to sign up. Now will it actually ever take place is another question all together.

There are a lot of logistics involved. Hydroponics would likely play a key role for their future food requirements. A lot of scientific work will be done also. I am sure it would not be a boring life at all. If humans want to colonize another planet, it has to start somewhere! Anybody else read the Mars Trilogy?

There is another project that involves find 2 people that could get along for about 2 years and shoot them out there to spin around Mars and come back to Earth.
I read/still reading the Mars Trilogy. 1st one was great, loved the detail of the launch/landing/beginning of colonization.

2nd one started slow, got VERY good. Probably better than the 1st.

Can't put a dent in the 3rd yet. Too much going on personally / boring beginning.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post

The plan is to have continues growth and create a true colony as per their website. So far over 8,000 people have inquired about a position. So while it may not be for everyone, there are people who are interested.

Quote:
Mars One is a not-for-profit organization that will take humanity to Mars in 2023, to establish the foundation of a permanent settlement from which we will prosper, learn, and grow. Before the first crew lands, Mars One will have established a habitable, sustainable settlement designed to receive astronauts every two years. To accomplish this, Mars One has developed a precise, realistic plan based entirely upon existing technologies. It is both economically and logistically feasible, in motion through the integration of existing suppliers and experts in space exploration.

Quote:
n 2011, the founding members of the Mars One team came together to develop a strategic plan for taking humanity to Mars. That first year yielded the completion of a feasibility study, calling upon experts from space agencies and private aerospace corporations around the world. Written letters of interest in support of the Mars One plan were received. In this first-stage analysis, Mars One incorporated technical, financial, social-psychological and ethical components into its foundation plan.
Current technology seems to be there to get people to Mars and keep them alive.

Quote:
Mars One has developed a realistic plan to establish a settlement on Mars by 2023. This plan is built upon existing technologies available from proven suppliers. Mars One is not an aerospace company and will not manufacture mission hardware. All equipment will be developed by third party suppliers and integrated in established facilities.

The fully equipped mission is comprised of the following, primary hardware components:

Launcher: This is the rocket used to take payloads* from Earth launch into Earth orbit or to Mars. Mars One anticipates use of the Space X Falcon Heavy, an upgraded version of the Falcon 9 which is in use by Space X now. The Falcon Heavy is slated to undergo test flights in 2013, granting ample time for fine-tuning prior to the Mars One missions which begin in 2016.
Mars Transit Vehicle: This is responsible for transporting the astronauts to Mars, and consists of two propellent stages, a landing module and living quarters.
Lander: Mars One anticipates use of a variant of the SpaceX Dragon capsule, first tested in 2010. This is the same vehicle which successfully docked with the International Space Station (ISS) in May of 2012. The lander Mars One requires will be slightly larger than the current Dragon. The Lander will be used for 5 functions:
Life Support Unit: A Lander that contains the systems for the generation of energy, water and breathable air within the settlement.
Supply Unit: A Lander that contains food, spare parts and other smaller components.
Living Unit: This Unit is a Lander that is outfitted with a special inflatable section. After reaching the surface of Mars, this allows it to create a large living space for humans.
Human Lander: This is the unit which carries the astronauts to the surface of Mars.
Rover Lander: This is the unit which carries the rovers to the surface of Mars.
Rover: The Rover is a semi-autonomous, solar-electric powered exploration and construction vehicle used to explore the surface of Mars in search of the most suitable location for the settlement, for transport of large hardware components (in a tractor-like fashion), and then general assembly.
Mars Suit: All astronauts must wear their Mars Suits when exposed to the Mars atmosphere. Like those used by the Apollo astronauts on the Moon, Mars Suits protect astronauts from extreme temperatures, the very thin, non-breathable atmosphere, and otherwise harmful radiation.
Communications system: The communications system transmits the video streams from Mars to the communication satellite in Mars orbit and back to Earth.
* Payloads are the items delivered by the Launch Vehicle into Earth or Mars orbit, or to the surface of Mars. Mars One payloads may be a communications satellite, transit vehicle, propellent stage, or a Lander.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
ryanwb

Seems a bit ambitious for the near future, but it is quite exciting that something like this could begin taking place during our lifetimes.

The world needs more people joining together on big projects like this IMO.

As for the details, pretty much the only thing holding us back from getting a project like this underway is how financially unfeasible it is to put so much equipment into space at this point in time. Once we get something along the lines of the space elevator or a similar more cost effective means of putting payloads into orbit, a mission like this is going to happen really, really quickly.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

If the person will be able to live "indefinitely" on Mars, wouldn't you think after 10-20 years out there we'd have the capacity to send a return mission? Weird.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

I'd only be interested if lots of hot chicks were going there with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
If the person will be able to live "indefinitely" on Mars, wouldn't you think after 10-20 years out there we'd have the capacity to send a return mission? Weird.
Sure, but who would pay all the millions it would cost to bring you back?

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Then put your name into the pool to be picked for 8 years of training and a 2022 takeoff for Mars with no return!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...-die-mars.html
That's not far off what the first settlers to North America did, only without the "8 years of training".

A blind sail into the sunset, one way trip, make the best of it when you get there.

Pioneering!

Old
03-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's not far off what the first settlers to North America did, only without the "8 years of training".

A blind sail into the sunset, one way trip, make the best of it when you get there.

Pioneering!
Indeed! Those heading out to explore had no way of knowing if they'd make it to land before they ran out of water or even food, but they went anyway. Unfortunately, there's a lot less oxygen, more radiation, less food and water and less ability to get more, though. They also don't have the Native American trails and agricultural fields to take over and use once they're all dead of disease.

They need to bring a huge drill to get to the core. Then they can use a series of nukes to get the core spinning again, like in The Core. Then they can plant a bunch of ferns and let them make succulent oxygen without fear of solar winds stripping it away.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-23-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:06 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Sure, but who would pay all the millions it would cost to bring you back?
kickstarter.com

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:47 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Their website does mention that down the road it might become feasible but the other thing that they will have to contend with is the human body getting use to the lower gravity on Mars which might make a return to Earth very difficult or impossible.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Indeed! Those heading out to explore had no way of knowing if they'd make it to land before they ran out of water or even food, but they went anyway. Unfortunately, there's a lot less oxygen, more radiation, less food and water and less ability to get more, though. They also don't have the Native American trails and agricultural fields to take over and use once they're all dead of disease.

They need to bring a huge drill to get to the core. Then they can use a series of nukes to get the core spinning again, like in The Core. Then they can plant a bunch of ferns and let them make succulent oxygen without fear of solar winds stripping it away.
Thing is the first explorers and settlers didn't know about them either.