HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Process of Trading Jarome Iginla Has Begun - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
SidsBackhand

vCash: 500
For the record, the asking price is already pretty absurd. If this turns into a bidding war, the Penguins should just back off and let someone else mortgage away their future.

Get another top 6 forward if need be. Then the Pens would have maybe the best 3rd line in hockey, crucial to playoff success.

I want Iginla, but not for a kings ransom. That's just bad for business.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I have another honest question. Why would there be Flames fans asking for specific types of players. That organization needs EVERYTHING!!. Not just forwards, not just goalies, not just defencemen.. Their farm system sucks and I don't care what any delusional Flames fan says about that

I'm a bit perplexed. Would you like your question answered?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:15 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Well I never mentioned Backlund so uhmmm??

Because its just a discussion, no need to get mad. Anyway I think Stempniak is the most likely player to end up in Pitt's probably for a 2nd.

That was my bad ... you said Granlund.

I'm not mad. Just trying to state that Iggy isn't a big need in Pittsburgh. We have other holes to shore up and sending a first in a deep draft, a D prospect and possibly a roster player for a rental is absurd, especially when you need to upgrade on the third line (a guy like Stempy or GlenX could give you flexibility in which they could play either 2nd or third) and a top four D prospect which assuredly would cost a first round pick for starters.

I get it. Calgary fans want to net the most it can for the face of the franchise. Problem is, this should have been done two years ago when he wasn't a rental; he was younger and his value was higher.

The constant selling job by Calgary fans to Pittsburgh fans on why Iggy would be a great fit. Sure, he improves Pittsburgh in areas that the Pens are already strong. I think people would love to have him, but not at the cost that is being speculated. However Pens fans know that Iggy would be a luxury to have, but isn't a big need.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
For the record, the asking price is already pretty absurd. If this turns into a bidding war, the Penguins should just back off and let someone else mortgage away their future.

Get another top 6 forward if need be. Then the Pens would have maybe the best 3rd line in hockey, crucial to playoff success.

I want Iginla, but not for a kings ransom. That's just bad for business.
Why do I get a feeling Shero is loving this. Everyone expects Pittsburgh to be in the Iggy sweepstakes. While everyone is envisioning a potential Calgary/Pittsburgh swap, Shero is working on his real top six target. The only deal that has been made at everyone expected him to make was Kovy for a 7th rounder last year. Everything else has been off the radar.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Why do I get a feeling Shero is loving this. Everyone expects Pittsburgh to be in the Iggy sweepstakes. While everyone is envisioning a potential Calgary/Pittsburgh swap, Shero is working on his real top six target. The only deal that has been made at everyone expected him to make was Kovy for a 7th rounder last year. Everything else has been off the radar.
I hope you are right. If he could produce a younger more longterm solution in the shadow of this, he'd once again be laughing last.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
If I was to speculate as to what has happened it would be this; Boston and Chiarelli like to do their deadline deals weeks before the deadline day. They have put a solid offer out there for Iginla which includes Ryan Spooner who they showcased Tuesday as the first line center with Lucic and Horton. Feaster has notified Iginla tolet him know the Bruins are interested in an extension and Shero of the offer and immediately Shero took what he thought would be a superior offer than the Bruins one and called Anaheim about Bobby Ryan.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Would the Pens be willing to give up Bennett as a starting point for a deal? or for that matter, Pouillot?
No. Bennett is going nowhere. Ray Shero has informed the other GM's that Beau Be net will not be moved.

And I am hoping that the same can be said of Pouillot.

Then again, I've made it clear that I'd rather not make a deal for Iggy at all.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:33 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

everytime these type of threads pop up, it's always the same old thing... fans of the team selling the player want way too much, and think their asset is worth more than what any previous similar asset was dealt for (of course it'll be different this time ) ... and the return will again reflect what we've seen in previous similar deals.

When has a top end prospect (like Bennett) EVER been dealt for a rental player? And we're not talking a guy like Hossa or Kovalchuk who were young and have years left with a potential extension - and they didn't even return the type of assets that fans seem to want for Iginla.

Iginla is clearly on the downside of his career. His numbers clearly indicate that. He's still a valuable player and a player that every playoff team would want, but at what cost? Is any team seriously going to give up more for a 35YO rental Iginla - that too in a shrinking cap era - then they did for Hossa? or Kovalchuk? or Forsberg? or hell, even Gretzky??

Did any of those players when dealt as rentals return any organization's top prospects? And it could argued that all of those guys were providing a bigger impact at the time of their trades then Iginla has been now at his age and stage in his career.

Like we see *every single time* Calgary fans will be hugely disappointed with the return that Iginla gets. How many years of seeing such deals go down will it take for fans to finally realize that organizations never give up their top prospects or valuable roster players for rentals? You won't get a Bennett in a deal for Iginla... hell you won't even get a player like Hansen, who's become a very valuable part of the Canucks. Such assets don't get moved for rental players, and there's been a lot of rentals more valuable than Iginla that have moved without such assets being involved.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
stardog

Quote:
So what you are really saying is given the current conditions, Pens are considering Bennett a roster player and have taken him off the table? Sounds like a good way to skirt the issue. However I'll play along even though we've avoided the point.

I'd have to think as a Flames fan that he would be consider him one of the key parts of a deal. We all don't want to give up our best prospect. Bennett I think most consider still a prospect. Van doesn't want to give up Kassian and Boston doesn't want to give up Spooner or Khohklachev.

From the B's, anyone of our prospects is available as part of the deal and before anyone wants to make a stipulation about it, no Dougie is not a prospect. He's played every game for the Bruins thus far while being a top four DMan and playing consistently on the PP.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...owmobile=false

Bennets status on the team and trade status.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
stardog

Its funny how his trade value has gone up since even yesterday in the eyes of some.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
This thread just makes me wish HFBoards was around for Niewendyk-for-Iginla.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
As a Flames fan, i dont even want anything that will "help" this year, so keep Morrow and Despres (because you need them, we dont). Flames might as well tank hard and get a good pick.

Maata + 1st + Kennedy + 2nd and i would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
I'm shocked there is so much talk about Bennett with a pretty good value on Maata + TK + 1st '13.

Only reason I see the above deal not working for Calgary (other than receiving a better offer) is the Flames org doesnt seem high on Maata they would have taking Seiloff in the draft over him (yeah that sounds crazy and I'm not sure of why either).

I'm not sure why we need a wing prospect over a defenceman either that might just be people hung up on the Dallas trade that brought Iggy we have a very solid prospect pool in net and after that our next brightest spot is on the wing.

Defense is pretty sad with Brodie' graduation everyone else is far far away and stocking up there would be huge. Forwards with size or centres with first line potential is another big hole in the pool and if value is the same those are the groups we should target first.

It makes sense for the pens to hold Bennett as near un-touchable and if Calgary isn't high enough on Maata and Shero isn't willing to sub one of their other young defenseman then the Pens are probably out no sense in whining or dwelling after that.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
stardog

Quote:
And for that matter, I think Pittsburgh just played themselves out of the race for Iggy in this hypothetical situation. Pouillot would have to be included at that point and even then, the B's have the Pens beat. Kennedy, Pouillot and a first would be the level it would need to get to

All of the packages offered coming from Boston are better. A bottom six roster player, no matter who, Krug, Spooner and Subban have all been of noted interest and a first.
And as a Pens fan I'm perfectly fine with that.

However, I respect GMPC's body of work and I highly doubt he would make the mistake of giving up any of the deals being "agreed upon" here.

Obviously, I think your over estimating what the trade value is for a 35 year old UFA to be Iginla.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
FWIW, in my opinion Iginla is going to resign with whatever team he is traded to, permitting they have the space for him.

When he is moved its going to be like a bad breakup for him and the Flames org, and while I think he will be back working in the front office someday. Or maybe on the ice for his retirement year, he won't be coming back to the Flames right away in my opinion anyway.
+1

Also, Iginla moving means its on his terms, which indicates that he wants to move and be out of the organization.

Plus if he wins a cup, or goes on a deep playoff run, he will re-sign right away as it means he is likely having fun and enjoying the competition.

If he goes to the Pens, you get him for the rest of this year, and maybe 2-3 years after IMO.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
I'm shocked there is so much talk about Bennett with a pretty good value on Maata + TK + 1st '13.

Only reason I see the above deal not working for Calgary (other than receiving a better offer) is the Flames org doesnt seem high on Maata they would have taking Seiloff in the draft over him (yeah that sounds crazy and I'm not sure of why either).

I'm not sure why we need a wing prospect over a defenceman either that might just be people hung up on the Dallas trade that brought Iggy we have a very solid prospect pool in net and after that our next brightest spot is on the wing.

Defense is pretty sad with Brodie' graduation everyone else is far far away and stocking up there would be huge. Forwards with size or centres with first line potential is another big hole in the pool and if value is the same those are the groups we should target first.

It makes sense for the pens to hold Bennett as near un-touchable and if Calgary isn't high enough on Maata and Shero isn't willing to sub one of their other young defenseman then the Pens are probably out no sense in whining or dwelling after that.

Wat?

Seiloff was a 2nd rounder, Maata was taken something like 21st overall.

I dont get what you are saying.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
As a Flames fan, i dont even want anything that will "help" this year, so keep Morrow and Despres (because you need them, we dont). Flames might as well tank hard and get a good pick.

Maata + 1st + Kennedy + 2nd and i would do that deal in a heartbeat.
This is an easy pass for Pittsburgh. 2 picks, a roster player and a first round pick for a rental?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
stardog

Quote:
Totally understandable. I know Bennett is looking like a great young player so far but is Pitts' hesitation to move him also based on the fact he is (and no offense meant by this) the pens only real "top 6" forward prospect?

If so, makes a lot more sense that they are looking at moving one of Maatta or Pouliot.

Anyway, I think Pens fans in this thread are probably correct that we wont see Bennett coming to Calgary. Best of luck with him.
But that's just it.
The Pens aren't "looking to move Maata or Pouillot".

That hasn't been reported by anyone, anywhere. A certain few Flames fans apparently are thinking that is what he is worth (Pouillot) while a others think Maata should be enough. Its speculation on HF and that is all.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
stlflamesfan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Actually a good question. I was just thinking that if Naslund were to get traded to the Flames in say 2007/08.. I would have wanted... Iginla?
Exactly! What players/prospects do the Canucks have that would even equal that and a package worth it? Let alone the thought of Naslund raising the cup in Calgary.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
GermanTitov

i dont think Ray Shero has stocked piled these high pedigree Dman to ship them off for a pure rental. hes more in the business of trading those cailber of players for more long term solutions. look what it took to get a 28 year old Hossa 1st, Esposito, Armstrong and Christenson. Ray knew that he would have a shot at resigning Hossa as a long term solution, 7 years 7.5 AAV. Last years first round pick (Pouliout, Maatta) + 1st + roster player isnt happening from a Penguins standpoint unless your talking hypotheticals and we are talking about Iginla 4-5 years ago.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Personally, I'm hoping for a second + mid tier prospect for Stempy. He is playing the best hockey of his career right now and is going to be the best bang for Shero's buck IMHO.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jiggyfly
Of course we have some Pens fans who think Dupuis is just as talented as Stempy, so whatever.
Talented? Nope. That would be a stretch.
Valuable to this Pens team?
Quite easily.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
But that's just it.
The Pens aren't "looking to move Maata or Pouillot".

That hasn't been reported by anyone, anywhere. A certain few Flames fans apparently are thinking that is what he is worth (Pouillot) while a others think Maata should be enough. Its speculation on HF and that is all.
Well we don't know that.

I was talking about just on the boards, I could have been clearer. Pens fans have been offering up those two most often.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post

Ya, good, accurate post.

Being a Pens fan, I know what Flames fans are feeling/thinking. I watched my team sell off their stars (Jagr, Kovy, Straka, Lang) because of Baldwin's ineptness. Many long time Pens fans know the feeling of wanting to get back the best value you can for your stars when your org is rebuilding.

It's a ****** feeling and I don't begrudge Flames fans for wanting Bennett or Morrow, etc. I just don't think Shero sees a desperate need for Iggy. I just can't imagine a scenario where Feaster backs him into a corner and Shero feels forced to give up one of those guys.

I've always liked the Flames since I was a kid and pretended to be Vernon. Then the Flames sent my favorite player, Mullen, to the Pens for a third and I was stoked. It just made me like the Flames even more.

I want to see the Flames do really well with the Iggy trade. I just don't think Shero is your best bet to get back max value.

I really think the best value trade will be for Stemps and I hope Shero jumps all over that.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
nwpensfan

What in Flames fans opinion is driving this rumor about a list of 5 teams, if true? Is it GMJF or is it Iginla himself wanting a chance at cup? I almost hate to see him play for anyone else.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
Talented? Nope. That would be a stretch.
Valuable to this Pens team?
Quite easily.
There's room for both.

Stempniak hustles as much as Dupuis, has similar speed, is just as responsible defensively, and has as many points this season to boot.

The difference is Stempniak can create on his own and thinks the game much closer to Crosby, than Dupuis does.

There is zero doubt in my mind Stempniak would make the Crosby line harder to defend than Dupuis.

Closed Thread