HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik Available; Canucks interested (Per HNIC)

Old
03-19-2013, 03:50 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I don't see the harm in speculating Gaborik's worth both at a $7.5m cap hit and at a reduced cap hit with the Rangers eating some salary. This forum's lifeblood is speculation, and it makes no sense to exclude speculation about one not-unrealistic scenario where the Rangers eat some salary.

Obviously the Rangers would prefer not to eat salary, but retained cap space is a tradeable commodity in this CBA not different from a draft pick.
I don't think it's relevant because it greatly skews the value of the asset. You could create a brand new thread about Gaborik and ask what his worth is as a $5mill asset, it would be completely different. It's like comparing two different assets, because that's really what it is.

And again, you could make this same argument about ANY player in the league.

So when you ask what's Gaborik's value, you have to assume that we're discussing the value of the asset as it is. If you're asking what's his value under a much lower cap hit, it's a completely different asset. It's like comparing Nash to Gaborik. Which player in your opinion has more value? Now compare Nash at $7.8mill cap hit to say Gaborik at a $4mill cap hit. Is their value still the same comparitively?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I don't think it's relevant because it greatly skews the value of the asset. You could create a brand new thread about Gaborik and ask what his worth is as a $5mill asset, it would be completely different. It's like comparing two different assets, because that's really what it is.

And again, you could make this same argument about ANY player in the league.

So when you ask what's Gaborik's value, you have to assume that we're discussing the value of the asset as it is. If you're asking what's his value under a much lower cap hit, it's a completely different asset. It's like comparing Nash to Gaborik. Which player in your opinion has more value? Now compare Nash at $7.8mill cap hit to say Gaborik at a $4mill cap hit. Is their value still the same comparitively?
But this isn't a "Value of" thread, it's a Rumor thread based on the belief that Gaborik is available. Based on that rumored availability, different permutations of trades have been discussed. Some of those permutations include more than just Gaborik, and instead package together other pieces, e.g., Gaborik + Boyle or Gaborik + pick.

There's no doubt that Gaborik at $7.5m million is less valuable than Gaborik at $5m. Nor is there any doubt that Gaborik is less valuable than Gaborik + pick.

With only a single year left on Gaborik's deal, one would have to think that there's a significant chance that the Rangers would be willing to retain a portion of his salary + hit if it helps facilitate a move they like. In fact, I'd view that as more likely than the Rangers being willing to take back an albatross with multiple years on it.

Ignoring the possibility of retained salary or the possibility of other players/picks being added by the Rangers (or creating a new thread for every possible permutation of retained salary as you suggested) seems entirely illogical to me.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
jammyrft

I think this is/could be a deal that will go down.

But for cap reasons alone for the Nucks/Rangers to make a trade It will have to involve cap going back to NYR.

I'd seriously consider something around Edler for Gaborik

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Jarome Iginla isn't your run-of-the-mill 35-year-old. EVERY team in the NHL would want him. Every single one.

Gaborik may have more value to a non-contender, but not playoff contenders. And even some of the non-contenders would want one of the great captains in NHL history to suit up for their team.

I love Gaborik but he's a one-shot sniper. Great speed too, when he uses it. You can't compare that to what Iginla brings to the table. It's really not close.

Last night, the Flames were completely lifeless. Down 2-0 and looking pretty pathetic. Iginla fights Eakin. They get down 3-0 and take over the game for a fairly lengthy stretch. They didn't win the game, and Iginla didn't score, but he impacted that game in his typical way.

You can't get players like Jarome Iginla in their prime. They're simply not available.
I understand what Iginla is and no, he isn't your typical, run-of-the-mill 35 year old, but you're simply wrong if you think he commands more value than Gaborik with his age and declining play, even with the cap going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I don't think Perry really changes anything atleast from our perspective.

He was never seriously on the market IMO, and we had no possibility of bringing him in either way.

Plus it is a bit different, Perry was a rental, there is a big commitment that needs to be made to Gaborik next season.

For us this makes no sense right now.
For Vancouver, maybe it doesn't make sense, but I'm speaking in an overall sense. Perry resigning drastically affects the market and Gaborik makes sense for a lot more teams than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

But for cap reasons alone for the Nucks/Rangers to make a trade It will have to involve cap going back to NYR.

I would too as a Ranger fan, but you're high or out of this realm if you think Vancouver would.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:

Edler? Sign me up!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:

That is absolutely horrible.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Putrid for Vancouver. No way the Canucks do that

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I understand what Iginla is and no, he isn't your typical, run-of-the-mill 35 year old, but you're simply wrong if you think he commands more value than Gaborik with his age and declining play, even with the cap going down.

For Vancouver, maybe it doesn't make sense, but I'm speaking in an overall sense. Perry resigning drastically affects the market and Gaborik makes sense for a lot more teams than you think.

I would too as a Ranger fan, but you're high or out of this realm if you think Vancouver would.
I don't think it really has as big an affect as you do, Perry was a rental so he would likely cost less and it was easier to plan with him moving forward, having Gaborik at 7.5 Million next year will drive teams off.

And that aside who exactly do you think is interested in him? I mean which teams in your opinion are legitimately in the market for him.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
I don't get why so many Canucks posters are trying to sell off Edler. He's our best producing defensemen, and we want to trade him? Right now, he's one of two defensemen on the Canucks, Garrison being the other, that can play on the PP. Even then, our PP is still horrific, imagine without Edler?

In no way would I entertain Edler for Gaborik.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
VanCityCanuck

what can we give for him?
not luongo, they already have a good goalie lol

VanCityCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
JohnHodgson

Canucks would probably have to flip Luongo/Schneider for pieces, then utilize those resources along with additional picks and players from our current roster to package a deal. Would be a long shot but an interesting scenario...

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

omg kesler

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:50 PM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I don't get why so many Canucks posters are trying to sell off Edler. He's our best producing defensemen, and we want to trade him? Right now, he's one of two defensemen on the Canucks, Garrison being the other, that can play on the PP. Even then, our PP is still horrific, imagine without Edler?

In no way would I entertain Edler for Gaborik.
I haven't seen any Canucks fan advocate Edler for Gaborik. Most of them are puking at the site of that.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Guys we have no need for Gaborik. We have found our Sniper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdJfCbenDm0

/thread

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
I haven't seen any Canucks fan advocate Edler for Gaborik. Most of them are puking at the site of that.
Yup. Losing our only real offensive presence on the back-end would be too much of a hit for us to take for Gabby.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

don't think we make it to the SCF final let alone the WCF with Gaborik instead of Kesler in 2011

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
don't think we make it to the SCF final let alone the WCF with Gaborik instead of Kesler in 2011
No one is advocating trading Kesler for Gaborik.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
We wouldn't even make it out of the first round if we had Gaborik instead of Kesler. There would be noone to shutdown Toews.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:54 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
There have been a couple recently, just a response to those. Reading my post again, clear I chose poor wording with "so many posters". But yes, most Canucks fans are, and should be getting sick at the thought of Edler for Gaborik.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
How about Gaborik to Red Wings? Any ideas from Rangers side?

It would be interesting to get this Slovakian National hero to be a leader for our Slovakian winger-prospects Tatar, Jurco and Tvrdon. Gaborik's impact for their development would be huge, just to be some kind of father figure for them.

Red Wings would survive with the high caphit at next season, and if Pavel is gone after 2014, then we could add some 1st line talent like Gaborik for that time.

Last edited by Henkka: 03-20-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Erixon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
How about Gaborik to Red Wings? Any ideas from Rangers side?
Realistically (?) something with Filppula, a first and something else not a major piece necessarily though

Erixon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erixon53 View Post
Realistically (?) something with Filppula, a first and something else not a major piece necessarily though
Any need for a puckmoving/2ndPP defenceman? White or Colaiacovo.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
NYR Viper

So would there be more interest if the Rangers retained 2 million in salary and cap hit for next season? Gaborik @ 5.5 million for 1 more year.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So would there be more interest if the Rangers retained 2 million in salary and cap hit for next season? Gaborik @ 5.5 million for 1 more year.
Yes, 100% but I think thats pretty obvious.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
Yes, 100% but I think thats pretty obvious.
So then what would other teams offer for Gaborik @ 5.5?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote