HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Countdown is on: 3 days till Jays Home Opener!

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Nope. He was optioned in each of 08, 09, and 10. So he's out of options.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2013/1...-and-outrights
Well good, hes going to be a good one. Love the arm and the stuff.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Just wanted to re-request a bit of crowdsourced help on this season's avatars.

As you've probably heard this year's theme is "jerkball" befitting a team of players who are reviled around the league for their nefarious acts (using roids, stealing signs, attacking umps, attacking other players, etc.)

But I have a small handful of players who I can't think of anything for. They are:

Josh Johnson
Sergio Santos
Aaron Loup
Brett Cecil
Brad Lincoln

What I'm looking for are suggestions based on actual things they've said or done that we can twist or blow out of proportion to paint them as a villain. I don't want made-up stuff and it has to be something that reflects badly on them personally (so stuff like being injury prone or diminishing skills don't count. ) The idea is that it's a story that you can play up or apply some artistic license and if you told it to someone, they'd think "what a jerk"

Like Brett Lawrie attacking the umpire. John Gibbons getting into fistfights with players, Bautista getting accused of being a cheater, etc. If you can provide a link to a story or something that can be used as a source or evidence, all the better.

if you want a bit of a teaser of what the end product of this is going to look like:

That's the background of the avatar. Obviously there will be a lot more content on the finished product, but that's the base.

We've got a couple weeks left to sort this all out. If I can get the full set complete, I'll release it before the season starts, so that's potentially an incentive too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-20-2013, 09:29 PM
topched

Quote:

As you've probably heard this year's theme is "jerkball" befitting a team of players who are reviled around the league for their nefarious acts (using roids, stealing signs, attacking umps, attacking other players, etc.)

But I have a small handful of players who I can't think of anything for. They are:

Josh Johnson
Sergio Santos
Aaron Loup
Brett Cecil
Brad Lincoln

What I'm looking for are suggestions based on actual things they've said or done that we can blow out of proportion to paint them as a villain. I don't want made-up stuff and it has to be something that reflects badly on them personally (so stuff like being injury prone or diminishing skills don't count. ) The idea is that it's a story that you can play up and if you told it to someone, they'd think "what a jerk"
Man those are tough.

For Santos, maybe something like "started the man in white rumour" or "accuses teams of outfield espionage". Something surrounding the fact he was in the bullpen when the white sox started that rumour.

For JJ, something about hating the team he plays for... since that whole Toronto thing got blown up way out of proportion. "hates every city including the one he plays in"...

Idk if those even work. Cecil Loup and Lincoln are too irrelevant.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:21 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

Josh Johnson should probably something to do with his agent's claims that he'll be getting the biggest contract ever before he's even played a game for the jays.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-28 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
When Cecil was here in Halifax for the winter tour when they were at the school he was drunk (my dads friend is the janitor) I dont know if you could make something out of that or not

Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
When Cecil was here in Halifax for the winter tour when they were at the school he was drunk (my dads friend is the janitor) I dont know if you could make something out of that or not
There might be some libel issues there.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:06 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Was that not the plan all along? All I heard following the draft was the potential this guy had to be a closer. I gotta look back and see how many starts he's actually had.
It was the plan that he'd end up in the pen in the Majors, but AA tends to have his top arms stick as starters in the minors as long as possible. But with this guys injury history, it's probably a good idea.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:20 AM
InNonisWeTrust
Bring on the trades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
If I was in halifax id be drunk too

Old
03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
It was the plan that he'd end up in the pen in the Majors, but AA tends to have his top arms stick as starters in the minors as long as possible. But with this guys injury history, it's probably a good idea.
He is one of our most overlooked prospects. He will likely reach the majors this year and has very hard and nasty stuff. If we were to say lose Janssen and Santos to injury this year, I would not be shocked to see him in the 7th or 8th inning setting up Delabar.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Brett Cecil: fake glasses wearer

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,243437

Old
03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:

Josh Johnson
Sergio Santos
Aaron Loup
Brett Cecil
Brad Lincoln

What I'm looking for are suggestions based on actual things they've said or done that we can twist or blow out of proportion to paint them as a villain. I don't want made-up stuff and it has to be something that reflects badly on them personally (so stuff like being injury prone or diminishing skills don't count. ) The idea is that it's a story that you can play up or apply some artistic license and if you told it to someone, they'd think "what a jerk"

Like Brett Lawrie attacking the umpire. John Gibbons getting into fistfights with players, Bautista getting accused of being a cheater, etc. If you can provide a link to a story or something that can be used as a source or evidence, all the better.

if you want a bit of a teaser of what the end product of this is going to look like:

That's the background of the avatar. Obviously there will be a lot more content on the finished product, but that's the base.

We've got a couple weeks left to sort this all out. If I can get the full set complete, I'll release it before the season starts, so that's potentially an incentive too.
JJ with a million dollar man motif since he'll just be pitchin' for the bucks this contract year

And Santos with a terminator eye and a robotic right arm?

Something like this:

Old
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Jatt

Aaron Loup

Uses "Wanna go for some soup? Come with Loup!" as a pick-up line.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Jatt

Brad Lincoln

'Drives a Cadillac'

Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
jlockhart89

Lincoln "The guy we traded Lunchbox for"

Cecil "Glasses: Can't Start with them, can't pitch without them"

Old
03-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Cecil is "the butcher". Did he not cut his finger twice from cooking?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
Lincoln "The guy we traded Lunchbox for"
Eats like a normal human being

Old
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Just got a new spring training hat, soooo nice

Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
TheKule

Romero's minor league start:

2.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 5 BB, 0 K

ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Cecil is "the butcher". Did he not cut his finger twice from cooking?
He cut his finger cleaning a blender.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKule View Post
Romero's minor league start:

2.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 5 BB, 0 K

ick
This is moving past the point of 'just spring' into 'this guy needs time to figure it out'

Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
This is moving past the point of 'just spring' into 'this guy needs time to figure it out'
I almost said "he's trying to figure out new mechanics, so he's bound to get hit hard", but then I saw the 5 BBs.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
TheKule

The Tigers are asking for a good relief arm in exchange for Rick Porcello. They apparently asked for Huston Street from the Padres, but were shot down. Would you guys move Santos?

He's 24, has a career 4.26 FIP (4.10 xFIP), and has collected nearly 10 WAR in his 4 seasons.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Nope. He's a Buehrle without the 200 innings. We're also not really in a position to be moving our top bullpen guys.

Granted he has a good fastball, and he's not left handed, but his strikeout ability leaves much to be desired. He needs to learn how to mix his pitches.

So really I'm not sure why I just compared him to Buehrle, but I still don't want to target him.

Last edited by Eyedea: 03-21-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKule View Post
The Tigers are asking for a good relief arm in exchange for Rick Porcello. They apparently asked for Huston Street from the Padres, but were shot down. Would you guys move Santos?

He's 24, has a career 4.26 FIP (4.10 xFIP), and has collected nearly 10 WAR in his 4 seasons.
I'm never opposed to adding more starting pitching and with Romero a huge question mark I think it's that much more important but I'd also like to see Santos pitch for us for a year at least to see what he can do.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Jose hits his 5th homerun of the spring. You never want to read much into spring training but its a positive sign that his wrist is all good and he hasn't lost his power.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
TheKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
A reliever for a good young starting pitcher is never really a bad trade.
Exactly. I understand the optics of trading for an SP at this point would be pretty terrible: throwing Happ and Romero under the bus in addition to losing a BP arm after 3 seasons of BP futility (and in a contending season to boot). But Porcello is young, controllable, and has excellent peripheral stats. In other words, an excellent buy low. Move Happ to the BP in to his natural long man/spot starter roll, slot Porcello into the 5th starter spot, and give Romero some AAA starts to sort out his mechanics.

All a fantasy of course. Anthopoulos isn't the reactionary type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Jose hits his 5th homerun of the spring. You never want to read much into spring training but its a positive sign that his wrist is all good and he hasn't lost his power.
5 HRs in 34 ABs. I think he's okay.

Closed Thread