HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2013, 12:24 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Carlson was a late 1st rounder that made a rather quick impact..
carlson? you mean the guy that a quick impact, then sucked wind, then showed up for the playoffs, then sucked wind and played a major part in the mess the caps are in now? not really a good example.

btw...if ribeiro doesnt want to sign, then trade him. thats easy

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You know what you have in Ribs. It took how long to get a 2C? We have a concussion in waiting for the 1C. We have cheap, talented wingers coming in. They need talented C's to distribute puck and power guys on their wings.

Get rid of Green and Laich. Inquire on Malone/Hartnell if cap casualies or similar players in UFA.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
carlson? you mean the guy that a quick impact, then sucked wind, then showed up for the playoffs, then sucked wind and played a major part in the mess the caps are in now? not really a good example.

huh?

He was very good in EVERY playoff series sans the Tampa series where everyone not named Johansson/Chimera sucked.

In his 2nd playoff game did he not score a crucial goal with less than 2 minutes left to tie it? I thought he was a +4 that series too tho I could be wrong about that.

He was a beast last year vs Boston and NY.

Again..he is a dman.

Backstrom was a #5 overall and in his 2nd year after being drafted made a huge impact and became a #1 center.

Don't act like its unrealistic

Also..like another poster said...why not trade him and if we REALLY want him then go after him as a UFA?

He's likely wanting to test the market out anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You know what you have in Ribs. It took how long to get a 2C? We have a concussion in waiting for the 1C. We have cheap, talented wingers coming in. They need talented C's to distribute puck and power guys on their wings.

Get rid of Green and Laich. Inquire on Malone/Hartnell if cap casualies or similar players in UFA.
Not having those guys for the majority of this year is a big reason why we are in tank mode now...Malone and Hartnell have both been injured this year and will get fresh new contracts as UFAs so youre not exactly going to be saving a ton of money if you do that

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:32 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:

We draft Sasha or Nate. That's 2 C in 2014.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.

Wait...so with the clock ticking on the core of our last rebuild, we're going to embark on another friggin 5 year plan? No way.

When he's gone, and the team sucks again for years, people will be screaming "why can't we get 2 decent centers on this team???!!"

The answer is not to let GMGM rebuild this team again. It's to FIRE GMGM and let the next guy fix what's broken. That may include signing Ribeiro and trading some other guys who have been here for a while.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Why would the pick acquired for Ribeiro need to have a short-term impact? Getting futures for Ribs is all about the long game, unless you want to trade the pick. The Caps 2011 1st rounder had immediate impact.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
We draft Sasha or Nate. That's 2 C in 2014.
They are both unknowns. The draft position and player is unknown before the TDL. They'd be paired with Forsberg/Kuz in next two years.

You sign Ribs to a market deal and if you get a top C in draft AND that player performs to a top top level AND Nick doesn't get hurt, then you evaluate and trade from a position of strength. Or you keep yourself strong in the middle.

The idea of being fearful of paying Ribs 6M for 3-4yrs is crazy to me.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think most are fearful of losing Ribs for nothing.

I also don't think there's any way he signs for $6M per for 3 years. He'll probably want more term and money.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Not having those guys for the majority of this year is a big reason why we are in tank mode now...Malone and Hartnell have both been injured this year and will get fresh new contracts as UFAs so youre not exactly going to be saving a ton of money if you do that
which is what makes you a fool to trust them again. Specifically Green. But wrt Laich, IMHO he's always been overpaid so hurt or not, he's not worth the cash. I'd much rather have Hartnell/Malone at the 4.5M per yr they're sign for AND pay the assets for them rather than trudging alone anchored to Laich/Green.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Wait...so with the clock ticking on the core of our last rebuild, we're going to embark on another friggin 5 year plan? No way.

When he's gone, and the team sucks again for years, people will be screaming "why can't we get 2 decent centers on this team???!!"

The answer is not to let GMGM rebuild this team again. It's to FIRE GMGM and let the next guy fix what's broken. That may include signing Ribeiro and trading some other guys who have been here for a while.
Not sure how trading an upcoming UFA and drafting a high end center starts a 5 year plan..

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Not sure how trading an upcoming UFA and drafting a high end center starts a 5 year plan..
Ok, when you say

"Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop."

what exactly do you mean, other than another rebuild is taking place that will take "a few years"?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think most are fearful of losing Ribs for nothing.

I also don't think there's any way he signs for $6M per for 3 years. He'll probably want more term and money.
I got you on that. I think we are all 100% in agreement that the missing 3rd question.. the one that only an idiot gm would click on... is "keep and let him walk at end of the season".

Yeah we'll see what he gets. None of us are in that room. I don't think he gets much over 5M avg if its over 5yrs. Maybe he gets 7, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3.

disclaimer: I don't know new rules on these contracts post CBA.... the above may not exactly fit into it.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
They are both unknowns. The draft position and player is unknown before the TDL. They'd be paired with Forsberg/Kuz in next two years.

You sign Ribs to a market deal and if you get a top C in draft AND that player performs to a top top level AND Nick doesn't get hurt, then you evaluate and trade from a position of strength. Or you keep yourself strong in the middle.

The idea of being fearful of paying Ribs 6M for 3-4yrs is crazy to me.
I hate going Full Semin here, but where is the outrage from the Semin fans about losing a top scorer and playmaker? On a team starved for offense, why give up more again? With long-term issues up the middle and lots of 3rd or 4th line misses in the organization, why keep relying on the same guys to one day get it right with draft picks?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

A top five pick is not a guaranteed quality 2C, much less by 2014. I don't care how "stacked" the draft is. Getting a Ryan Johansen or Kyle Turris isn't going to solve our 2C woes. Hell, even a Ryan Strome or Jonathan Huberdeau won't put us in cup contention by 2014 or 2015. We can't count on the center making an immediate impact like Tavares or Stamkos. Nor should we handcuff ourselves into taking a center rather than the BPA.

It took forever to get a 2C. Not only do we finally have one, we have one that's excelling in the role. Lock up Ribeiro.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Ok, when you say

"Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop."

what exactly do you mean, other than another rebuild is taking place that will take "a few years"?
Other than Ovechkin, we still have a very young core.
It's more like a 2 or 3 year re-tool.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
I got you on that. I think we are all 100% in agreement that the missing 3rd question.. the one that only an idiot gm would click on... is "keep and let him walk at end of the season".

Yeah we'll see what he gets. None of us are in that room. I don't think he gets much over 5M avg if its over 5yrs. Maybe he gets 7, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3.

disclaimer: I don't know new rules on these contracts post CBA.... the above may not exactly fit into it.
The lowest year can't be less than half of the highest year, so it would need just a bit of noodling. Take a bit off the front end and move it further back and that would work.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Other than Ovechkin, we still have a very young core.
It's more like a 2 or 3 year re-tool.
No it isn't. You don't re-tool for 2 or 3 years. That's a rebuild. The last rebuild had a "core", too.

Do you think our core is going to want to waste 3 or so years of their prime in ANOTHER rebuild/re-tool/whatever-you-want-to-call-it??

Old
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
A top five pick is not a guaranteed quality 2C, much less by 2014. I don't care how "stacked" the draft is. Getting a Ryan Johansen or Kyle Turris isn't going to solve our 2C woes. Hell, even a Ryan Strome or Jonathan Huberdeau won't put us in cup contention by 2014 or 2015. We can't count on the center making an immediate impact like Tavares or Stamkos. Nor should we handcuff ourselves into taking a center rather than the BPA.

It took forever to get a 2C. Not only do we finally have one, we have one that's excelling in the role. Lock up Ribeiro.
Well we're bottom feeders in the league while in the southeast division right now... Not really sure what you expect in the next few years if you think we have a better chance with aging Ribs in a much tougher division...

The way I see it... We're bad with or without Ribeiro right now. Might as well stock up to actually become good in 2-3 seasons...

Old
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

IMHO Semin was always a luxury and the team made a choice of high priced winger with Ovi. Ovi makes this team goal starved. The lack of just a few other adequate wingers (which are 2nd rd pick cheap come deadline) to be paired with the 2C is what exacerbates the lack of scoring. I'm not of the opinion that you need two 6M+ wingers.

I also think we are seriously goal starved due to the run of coaches + no camp. Next season can be extremely different than this one with the right management.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
No it isn't. You don't re-tool for 2 or 3 years. That's a rebuild. The last rebuild had a "core", too.

Do you think our core is going to want to waste 3 or so years of their prime in ANOTHER rebuild/re-tool/whatever-you-want-to-call-it??
We're in 29th place right now... Not sure how much worse we can get...

Alzner, Carlson, Holtby, Backstrom are all still young. They are our core moving forward.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The need for an uber-2C is overrated, or at least isn't satisfied by Ribeiro. He does more harm than good at ES so really what you're looking to replace is his PP production (in the current setup you just need a slick lefty to replace that; position is irrelevant... long term that might be Kuz's spot if all goes well).

He's a smart guy, and that seems like it should fit well with Oates, but they need more if they're going to spend the type of money it would take to keep him.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkin isnt core? lol

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

OK...

Lets assume we sign Ribeiro to a somewhat reasonable deal (for the sake of arguing 3 years at $5 million per tho he will SURELY get more)

OK we have our 2nd line center and we will go into next year with pretty much the same team. We'll still have plenty of holes and altho we have some cap space it won't be a ton.

Our young goalies and dmen will still need more seasoning as will Forsberg and Wilson should they make the team.

We are not going to expedite this. Its gonna take time and 2014-2015 is reasonable for us to make a run. By then Backstrom and Ovie will still be in their prime..Ribeiro will be on the decline.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Ovechkin isnt core? lol
Wasn't my intention.
Ovechkin isn't young anymore, and the young guys I listed are a big part of our core.
Not all of it obviously, but a big part.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
IMHO Semin was always a luxury and the team made a choice of high priced winger with Ovi. Ovi makes this team goal starved. The lack of just a few other adequate wingers (which are 2nd rd pick cheap come deadline) to be paired with the 2C is what exacerbates the lack of scoring. I'm not of the opinion that you need two 6M+ wingers.

I also think we are seriously goal starved due to the run of coaches + no camp. Next season can be extremely different than this one with the right management.
Agree in general but disagree about the cause of the goal scoring problems.

The team was rebuilt around Ovechkin providing the lion's share of the offense. Scoring has been a problem since the MTL series, and made worse when Ted declared that he'd rather win close games than blowouts. At about the same time the high-flying offense sputtered. Ovechkin hasn't been the world-beater he was, so the team's fortunes go with him.

This team used to score on almost anyone. Over the last 3 seasons, with or without camp, they struggle for goals against good teams, and then pad their GFA when the stars align and they can roll over a bad team.

Oates' system should've produced MORE offense than the last 2 seasons by default, just by virtue of being more aggressive and offense-oriented than DH and what BB had become. Ribeiro stepped right in and started producing, with no camp or experience with the team/coach.

Barring a massive turnaround by Ovechkin I don't see going from worst to first just by virtue of more time with the coach or system.