HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 11:33 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
It's on management not having decent centre depth. I mean they KNEW Belanger was out of the lineup... so they had Horcoff-RNH-Gagner- and then Smyth in a 4th line role. Any injury means Smyth becomes a top 9 centre... pretty ridiculous.

I can see putting Smyth at centre in an emergency role but to plan that and put him there game after game when another centre is injured... you are just asking for trouble when another man goes down.

It all comes down to the fact the Oilers have basically zero centre depth... VV/Lander/Arcobello aren't NHL caliber so I guess they figure it's better to go with Smyth who is marginal as it is.

When your basic plan is to screw up your roster down the middle before every game even begins... it's hard to have any sympathy when they say "gee the team did ok for having only 2 or 3 "real" NHL centres".

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
McClutchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Effort isn't really the issue with Smyth, it's execution. Jones is a floater though. Not physical at all, cheats a ton for offense. made a nice play to capitalize on a Sharks error to get the goal, but that's about all he did. That said, I'd rather have Jones on the ice than Brown.
Smyth usually has effort in the first period, but after that, he is late getting to lose pucks, just chops at everything, I understand he is giving it his all, but his all is not enough right now.

Jones, I hate it, seems like the eager problem, he can't play his game cause of his Injury, same thing that changed eager I do believe. I always liked Jones, and was excited to insert him into this line up, but when he is not playing his high energy game, he is a ghost of his old self.

McClutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yakupov had his best shift as an Oiler and was immediately benched for the rest of the game after it. Dubnyk played awful hockey and 3 out of 4 of those goals should've been stopped.
I'm not positive this is accurate. Yak received 6 shifts in the 3rd period, after having 7shifts in both of the earlier periods. Perhaps he missed one shift then over what his regular rotation in the game was.

I checked, because I remember seeing him out there regularly, even in the 3rd, although numerous people are stating he was benched in 3rd.

In fact Yaks last shift ended with 5:58 left in the game. At which point it was 3-3 anyway. He had regular shifts all through the third prior to that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
Smyth usually has effort in the first period, but after that, he is late getting to lose pucks, just chops at everything, I understand he is giving it his all, but his all is not enough right now.
He's also being forced to play in a position that demands a lot more than he's able to give right now. That's on management that's been at least one NHL centre down since Horcoff first went out and has done sweet jack all to fix the problem.

Quote:
Jones, I hate it, seems like the eager problem, he can't play his game cause of his Injury, same thing that changed eager I do believe. I always liked Jones, and was excited to insert him into this line up, but when he is not playing his high energy game, he is a ghost of his old self.
Meh. He looks like he's always looked out there to me.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
eskies4life

Any video of Yaks hit? It was a beauty!

eskies4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not positive this is accurate. Yak received 6 shifts in the 3rd period, after having 7shifts in both of the earlier periods. Perhaps he missed one shift then over what his regular rotation in the game was.

I checked, because I remember seeing him out there regularly, even in the 3rd, although numerous people are stating he was benched in 3rd.

In fact Yaks last shift ended with 5:58 left in the game. At which point it was 3-3 anyway. He had regular shifts all through the third prior to that.
Yeah he threw those two big hits at 6:43, that was his last shift in the game. I thought it was his best shift as an Oiler.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yakupov had that one great shift and the pass to Gagner, but otherwise, not a hugely impactful game. It's crazy to me that at this point in the season, he is deferring on a 2-on-1 where he obviously has a better angle than Gagner.

You'd expect that in the first 10-15 games of being a rookie but he's got to either rifle that or take it to the net.

Hartikainen - I guess you'd argue he hasn't been given a legitimate shot, but he doesn't play to his size and I'm not really sure where he fits on this team TBH. He's not a grinder, he's not a skill guy. He's good along the boards, but so was Laraque.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
The Hendog

Missed the OT & SO but just to clarify, Yakupov didn't get a single shift in the OT?
That does seem like some bad coaching

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Gotta sit Smyth for a game I think.
You know that Smyth was playing out of position right?

You know that the Oilers have two healthy centres right now - and you blame Smyth?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Master Lok

All you "disappointed" and angry fans... tell me what did you really expect from the Oilers?

Cue this in and let it sink in your brain pan. THIS TEAM FINISHED 29TH LAST YEAR.

They are now challenging for the playoffs.

Is it sinking in yet?

Apparently not. Apparently you think this team should beat out veteran teams like the Sharks and the Red Wings and play shutdown hockey against them.... when the Oilers haven't been in this position for what... six years?

You people have unreal expectations.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
All you "disappointed" and angry fans... tell me what did you really expect from the Oilers?

Cue this in and let it sink in your brain pan. THIS TEAM FINISHED 29TH LAST YEAR.

Is it sinking in yet?

Apparently not. Apparently you think this team should beat out veteran teams like the Sharks and the Red Wings and play shutdown hockey against them.... when the Oilers haven't been in this position for what... six years?

Good point, but I am still depressed.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:

Is it sinking in yet?

We all wear our hearts on our sleeves.

If you don't think we will react this way to a big game (for us at least) and NOT have a thread where we spaz and moan, then you have unreal expectations of Oiler fans.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
frag2

Quote:

Is it sinking in yet?

The thing was that the Oilers, in those 2 games, didn't have to play shutdown. They carried the pace for 2/3 periods [and arguably even half of the 3rd] but they decided to switch modes. They could have just kept their pace but they didn't and instead, got pushed back themselves. Ralph probably thought it's time to shut them down but the team is way too raw to do that. I'd rather just keep pushing, scoring, than to just sit back and hang on for dear life.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
JJ only one goal was not his fault last night--he has a problem and I think it starts between his shoulders--once he starts screwing up he just continues
Dub was bad all night long. Was having a hell of a time with rebound control and on many ocassions didnt even react to a shot till after it hit the post or went wide.

Some nights he looks blind out there. Has real trouble picking up the puck in traffic and seems to totaly just give up and hopes it hits him.

But overall for most the season he has been good to great so hopefully he just needs rest.

Oh and he really needs to be more agressive and come out of his net mroe to cut down shooters space.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

I think is better for Yak to just hit showers at the middle point of the 3rd period. krueger won't play him anyways, whats the point in siting on the bench if ur no gona play ?

oil Leaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yakupov had that one great shift and the pass to Gagner, but otherwise, not a hugely impactful game. It's crazy to me that at this point in the season, he is deferring on a 2-on-1 where he obviously has a better angle than Gagner.

You'd expect that in the first 10-15 games of being a rookie but he's got to either rifle that or take it to the net.

Hartikainen - I guess you'd argue he hasn't been given a legitimate shot, but he doesn't play to his size and I'm not really sure where he fits on this team TBH. He's not a grinder, he's not a skill guy. He's good along the boards, but so was Laraque.
Disagree on the Yak 2 on 1. Niemi was on top of the crease and had the angle for the shot. Yak had very little room to sleep. The pass was nice and Gagner had full net

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yep, the 2 on 1 Yak did the right thing.
Gagner had a tap in if it didn't go off the heel of his stick.
Yak also had a great chance on the PP in the second from deep out of the slot but the shot never made it through.
Dubnyk got hung out to dry on Wingels goal, Smyth failed to clear the puck out and Wingels had a 1 on 1 from inside the hash mark. If that was an Oiler with a half decent wrist shot we'd all expect a goal there too.
This games rests more on poor coaching and that playing not to lose mentality than poor goal tending.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Is it sinking in yet?

They're only challenging for a playoff spot because of the shortened schedule. Given a full season they're the same team as 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
Any video of Yaks hit? It was a beauty!
if it's out there, I can't find it. I'd like to see it again without having to scroll all the way through GameCenter

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilvision View Post
I think is better for Yak to just hit showers at the middle point of the 3rd period. krueger won't play him anyways, whats the point in siting on the bench if ur no gona play ?
Obviously you are unfamiliar with buttsercise.

He needs to callous up his buttocks in case the Oilers need to protect a 1-0 deficit in the second, or even the first period.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Disagree on the Yak 2 on 1. Niemi was on top of the crease and had the angle for the shot. Yak had very little room to sleep. The pass was nice and Gagner had full net
This is my view from being live at the game, didn't get the benefit of the TV replays, that's just the way it developed in real time. I could be wrong but I felt the d-man was giving him shot and taking away the pass.

Also think Niemi has been fighting the puck the last few games and it would have been good to test him early.

It's not even that that particular play by Yakupov was horrible, it's just the Nth time this season he's passed up an open shot, deferring to the older players (is what it seems like).

@Master Lok - I realize Smyth has had to play center - that doesn't give him a pass on not having the wheels. He looks tired and is just whipping the puck around in our d zone.

I think he is trying, but he needs to have a game off just to get some energy back - it worked really well the last time Krueger did it, so why not try again?

I'd honestly rather bring up Lander. Not Vande Velde.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
yeah that play is 100% on gagner, he should have buried that, and likely does 80% of the time... he just missed the puck, end of story... it was a nice play by yakupov, who just continues to impress with his passing ability btw... yaks passing is a LOT better than i was anticipating

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
They're only challenging for a playoff spot because of the shortened schedule. Given a full season they're the same team as 2010, 2011 and 2012.
you keep saying this as if it is true... it's not

the 2012-13 oilers are on pace for 82 points over a full season... 82 points, since the last lockout, would put the team in 22nd-23rd overall ... the current team is a good deal better than the team in the past 3 years, who finished 30th, 30th and 29th (just in case you forgot).... tell me again, is 22nd the same as 30th?

i agree that they are only challenging for a playoff spot because of the shortened season though... if this was a full season, we wouldn't have been challenging by the trade deadline (as it appears we might be this season)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Is it sinking in yet?

Yep, what people discount that in a big money game, thats big for both clubs, the team with veteran experience thats been there is going to come out ahead most nights in the clutch situations.

Thats the world spinning as it should.

For the Oilers to do much of anything this year they would've have had to be lightning hot in the first half of the season. They weren't.

Expecting that they were going to Win big games like this consistently at this point in the year when they were 1-7 in games tied going into the 3rd period is simply unrealistic.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
you keep saying this as if it is true... it's not

the 2012-13 oilers are on pace for 82 points over a full season... 82 points, since the last lockout, would put the team in 22nd-23rd overall ... the current team is a good deal better than the team in the past 3 years, who finished 30th, 30th and 29th (just in case you forgot).... tell me again, is 22nd the same as 30th?

i agree that they are only challenging for a playoff spot because of the shortened season though... if this was a full season, we wouldn't have been challenging by the trade deadline (as it appears we might be this season)
Before this little 3-0-2 run, we were on pace for 68 points.

That's good for a tie at 29th last season and 30th the season before that.

I don't see a team that was 8-11-5 managing to keep going at a point per game pace.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote