HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-inclusive Bud Holloway Love/Hate Fest

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
  #26
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
People still care about Holloway? He's a never was!

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
  #27
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
If this is the worst thing that happens to you in 2014...

Bud's gonna be a player though, I'm betting on 40-50 pts a season. Hope he goes far east with NYI or something, but I bet he'll end up in Calgary. He'll join the list of players who is successful on other teams, yet either can hardly make the playoffs, never mind win a cup.

When you're the champs, everyone wants your castoffs for a piece of the magic
This^.

Bud will be a good player when he gets here but what can you do? He made his decisions and we made ours. It is what it is.

etherialone is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
  #28
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,115
vCash: 500
If he wants to earn a roster spot, he can fight for it in camp to replace Brad Richardson's place as the 13th forward. But Bud is more interested in being handed a spot and guaranteed deal as opposed to earning one.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  #29
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If he wants to earn a roster spot, he can fight for it in camp to replace Brad Richardson's place as the 13th forward. But Bud is more interested in being handed a spot and guaranteed deal as opposed to earning one.
So he'll probably go to one of the crappy teams in the east.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
  #30
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If he wants to earn a roster spot, he can fight for it in camp to replace Brad Richardson's place as the 13th forward. But Bud is more interested in being handed a spot and guaranteed deal as opposed to earning one.
It's not about "earning" it. Bud didn't feel like the organization was interested in him.

Would you stay with a company that had passed you over for a promotion and given it employees who had done less?

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  #31
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
Heinz was good in catch-up games.

But ultimately, he couldn't cut the mustard.
I relish that post.

RonSwanson* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:24 PM
  #32
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 500
So what's his status? I looked him up on Wiki* and I can understand his frustration to a point. The guy is 25. Are NHL teams inquiring? Why is the OP so concerned about him coming to this division?

I have heard absolutely no rumors or speculation as to where (if) he ends up in the NHL next season. Enlighten me.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Holloway

__________________
Ron is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  #33
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's not about "earning" it. Bud didn't feel like the organization was interested in him.

Would you stay with a company that had passed you over for a promotion and given it employees who had done less?
He spent two full seasons in Manchester before bolting for Sweden. Ever heard of the saying, paying your dues? It could have been Holloway being called up instead of King or Nolan back when the Kings decided to promote those players from Manchester last season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  #34
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He spent two full seasons in Manchester before bolting for Sweden. Ever heard of the saying, paying your dues? It could have been Holloway being called up instead of King or Nolan back when the Kings decided to promote those players from Manchester last season.
He didn't believe he would have gotten the call up.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:29 PM
  #35
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He didn't believe he would have gotten the call up.
Maybe he's just a complete ass, and DL didn't want to disrupt the team's chemistry.

RonSwanson* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
  #36
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Maybe he's just a complete ass, and DL didn't want to disrupt the team's chemistry.
Could be. Good point.

Ron is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
  #37
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He didn't believe he would have gotten the call up.
Dwight King split his first season with the Reign and Monarchs and spent three seasons in the minors before earning his call up. Same goes for Jordan Nolan. Trevor Lewis spent parts of four seasons with the Monarchs before earning a full time spot on the Kings roster, and he was a former 1st round pick. Voynov was a high 2nd rounder and spent four seasons in Manchester before he earned a permanent spot on the team.

So I guess Holloway is entitled to more than those players.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  #38
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Dwight King split his first season with the Reign and Monarchs and spent three seasons in the minors before earning his call up. Same goes for Jordan Nolan. Trevor Lewis spent parts of four seasons with the Monarchs before earning a full time spot on the Kings roster, and he was a former 1st round pick. Voynov was a high 2nd rounder and spent four seasons in Manchester before he earned a permanent spot on the team.

So I guess Holloway is entitled to more than those players.
That's sure as heck how he has made himself look, i'm sure Dean and his former teammates that you just mentioned feel the same way.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  #39
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Dwight King split his first season with the Reign and Monarchs and spent three seasons in the minors before earning his call up. Same goes for Jordan Nolan. Trevor Lewis spent parts of four seasons with the Monarchs before earning a full time spot on the Kings roster, and he was a former 1st round pick. Voynov was a high 2nd rounder and spent four seasons in Manchester before he earned a permanent spot on the team.

So I guess Holloway is entitled to more than those players.
Right or wrong, Holloway believed that even if he played another 2 seasons in the AHL, the Kings weren't going to be interested in him.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
  #40
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Entitlement is I think exactly what Holloway's issue is. I mean Tyler Toffoli in 20 less games has surpassed anything Holloway did in the AHL. So has Linden Vey.

If I recall correctly a big issue with Holloway was his lack of physical play. Good sized dude at 6' 1" 200 lbs. But I remember him being soft. (could be wrong on that. going off a fuzzy memory)

The big plus side to this kid was he was clutch in the playoff and had very impressive playoff numbers.


I've heard some people say he left to Sweden for financial reasons. But, what financial reasons does a 23/24 year old kid have? He was making roughly 60-70k per year in the AHL. No, that's not out of this world money. But, it's pretty dang good for guy in his early 20's! Unless he had debt to some bad people I don't see money being an issue. Especially when if you hold on a for a bit you'll get a chance to make that unreal money.

He would likely be on an NHL team right now. Either as member of the Kings or someone else. Since at this point he would've been exposed to the waiver wire and likely claimed by another team.

CTKingsFan is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
  #41
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
this will almost be as bad as when the great Brandon Segal got picked up by the Stars

Muzzinga is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:20 PM
  #42
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
this will almost be as bad as when the great Brandon Segal got picked up by the Stars
What a petty, sad time that was for a few posters around here.

Ollie Weeks is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  #43
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
At first I thought it was Bashar al-Assad.

Monarchist is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
  #44
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Dwight King split his first season with the Reign and Monarchs and spent three seasons in the minors before earning his call up. Same goes for Jordan Nolan. Trevor Lewis spent parts of four seasons with the Monarchs before earning a full time spot on the Kings roster, and he was a former 1st round pick. Voynov was a high 2nd rounder and spent four seasons in Manchester before he earned a permanent spot on the team.

So I guess Holloway is entitled to more than those players.
Dwight King was in his second full pro season when he got a call up in 2010-11. Ditto with Nolan. Second full pro season when he got his call up in 2011-12. Same thing with Lewis. In his second full pro season when he got a call up in 2008-09. Holloway played 3 full pro seasons without a call up. The only one of that group that shows the point you were trying to make is Voynov, who was in his fourth full pro season when he got his call up (probably should also note that since Voynov was still on his ELC he couldn't have left unless he had the Kings blessing).


Last edited by Sam: 03-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Sam is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
  #45
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Dwight King was in his second full pro season when he got a call up in 2010-11. Ditto with Nolan. Second full pro season when he got his call up in 2011-12. Same thing with Lewis. In his second full pro season when he got a call up in 2008-09. Holloway played 3 full pro seasons without a call up. The only one of that group that shows the point you were trying to make is Voynov, who was in his fourth full pro season when he got his call up (probably should also note that since Voynov was still on his ELC he couldn't have left unless he had the Kings blessing).
Their call ups were brief and they didn't stick when they were first brought up. I'm talking about earning a roster spot, which those players did. Holloway split time in the ECHL/AHL his first pro year, had an okay sophomore season, then had an excellent third season with the Monarchs before bolting for Sweden. Whose to say that he wouldn't have been in consideration for a call up or win a roster spot out of camp? There were holes on the Kings roster that had to be filled, but he wasn't there for training camp as he had already left for Sweden. Had Holloway stuck around, maybe the Kings wouldn't have bothered looking at guys like Trent Hunter and Ethan Moreau. The point still stands, he felt he was entitled so he packed his bags and left.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  #46
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Their call ups were brief and they didn't stick when they were first brought up. I'm talking about earning a roster spot, which those players did. Holloway split time in the ECHL/AHL his first pro year, had an okay sophomore season, then had an excellent third season with the Monarchs before bolting for Sweden. Whose to say that he wouldn't have been in consideration for a call up or win a roster spot out of camp? There were holes on the Kings roster that had to be filled, but he wasn't there for training camp as he had already left for Sweden. Had Holloway stuck around, maybe the Kings wouldn't have bothered looking at guys like Trent Hunter and Ethan Moreau. The point still stands, he felt he was entitled so he packed his bags and left.
That's the whole point.

This isn't about Holloway thinking he was entitled to a spot. It's about the simple fact that Holloway didn't think the Kings were going to give him an opportunity regardless of his performance.

Whether his assertion was right or wrong is another issue all together.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
  #47
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Right or wrong, Holloway believed that even if he played another 2 seasons in the AHL, the Kings weren't going to be interested in him.
Sounds like a headcase.

kingsholygrail is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:10 PM
  #48
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Their call ups were brief and they didn't stick when they were first brought up. I'm talking about earning a roster spot, which those players did. Holloway split time in the ECHL/AHL his first pro year, had an okay sophomore season, then had an excellent third season with the Monarchs before bolting for Sweden. Whose to say that he wouldn't have been in consideration for a call up or win a roster spot out of camp?
Quick question: has any forward that played 3 full pro seasons without a call up under Lombardi played for the Kings later? I can't think of one offhand.

Sam is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
  #49
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Quick question: has any forward that played 3 full pro seasons without a call up under Lombardi played for the Kings later? I can't think of one offhand.
Not yet, but Kozun may qualify as he is in his 3rd season in Manchester without earning a call up.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  #50
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner
 
TruKingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Beachfront
Country: United States
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
this will almost be as bad as when the great Brandon Segal got picked up by the Stars
I think I remember that was the OP's nightmare back then as well. Thank God, you are over that now, huh?

TruKingFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.