HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
So let me get this straight...because the team in front of DD hangs him out to dry on a routine basis, and it is his fault?

I will let you in on a little secret (about the section I bolded)...good teams don't go to shoot outs often.

If your goalie's biggest weakness is his shoot out performance, you are gold.
Hey, I agree with you on the team in front of him. But the reality is we lead the league in SO/OT losses, and he needs to step up and win one for the team in those reg season OT/SO. Those would possibly get them into the PO's. Thats a stat thats on the goalie.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
So let me get this straight...because the team in front of DD hangs him out to dry on a routine basis, and it is his fault?

I will let you in on a little secret (about the section I bolded)...good teams don't go to shoot outs often.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...outTeamSummary

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 03-21-2013 at 01:07 PM.
I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Hey, I agree with you on the team in front of him. But the reality is we lead the league in SO/OT losses, and he needs to step up and win one for the team in those reg season OT/SO. Those would possibly get them into the PO's. Thats a stat thats on the goalie.
This I agree with quite strongly. The team is still in the hunt for a playoff spot, but for us to get in, Dubie has to get on a hot streak

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Anaheim has gone to the shootout the most of any team in the league, eight times. They are second overall in league standings.

Chicago has gone to the shootout seven times. They are first overall in league standings.

Any other secrets you'd like to let us in on.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Krut

Quote:
Silly thread is silly.

The only people that blame DD are people that have not watched any Oiler's games, or followed any of their stats.

Both show the same result. Goal tender is above league average in performance, skaters are below league average in performance.

DD would have to have a sv% of .935 or better to carry this team to the playoffs with how the current skaters are playing.

How many goalies in the league (that have actually played more than a couple games) have sv% that high? ....1 at 15 games played.

People who think DD is the problem have some serious expectation issues in regards to goalies.
So you accuse people of not watching games, then use stats to justify your stance on Dubnyk. Right.

It's the people that spout off his stats to say he's fine while concurrently ignoring several huge flaws in his game that are lost.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
McClutchen
#Jultzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
So you accuse people of not watching games, then use stats to justify your stance on Dubnyk. Right.

It's the people that spout off his stats to say he's fine while concurrently ignoring several huge flaws in his game that are lost.
I agree with this, stats do tell alot, if you really want to know how a team feels abotu someone, body language.

McClutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
I agree with this, stats do tell alot, if you really want to know how a team feels abotu someone, body language.
That third Sharks goal deflated the team.

Dubnyk is not built to start 11 straight. If Khabi can not go this season bring someone in who can at least be depended on for 20+ starts in a full season.

This team is stuck with Dubnyk for next year. He can't play 70 games well. Management needs to recognize that and address the need.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
oil10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lots of talk about the need for a #2C, or a top pairing Dman, but for my money the team's most pressing need going forward is a #1G. Any ideas?

List of pending ufa goalies

List of pending rfa goalies
Well I totally disagree . . . their goal-tending is fine, it is not their #1 or #2 weakness. When the team in front of Dubnyk are allowing 30+ shots every night and the team is only losing by 1 or 2 goals . . . I cannot blame the goalie.

Dubnyk keeps this team in the game majority of the time. Like I said in one of my posts "Dubnyk . . . isn't the problem" . . . . . YOU NEED TO SCORE GOALS TO WIN GAMES !!! How many power plays did the team suck on . . . too many. They need to get more then 2 shots on net.

People blame Dubnyk because it is easier to blame one player then realizing that the whole team just isn't there yet.

Oilers need better D-men and a stronger bottom 6 ( grit and skill ).

oil10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
IV XIV XCI

Two problems

1) He has no real competition. He gets to walk around happy-go-lucky because he's a good guy that the team likes and wants to do well for

2) His leash is way too damn long. I guess it's fitting since he is a Giraffe. Only a brontosaurus would need a longer leash.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Two problems

1) He has no real competition. He gets to walk around happy-go-lucky because he's a good guy that the team likes and wants to do well for

2) His leash is way too damn long. I guess it's fitting since he is a Giraffe. Only a brontosaurus would need a longer leash.
I don't get why the media is so easy on him. It's almost like its taboo to criticize Dubnyk. Radio guys on all the stations will say something like "he might want that one back, but the defense in front of him sucks and X player could have made a better play earlier in the shift, etc."

No, how about he cost the team by ******** the bed on an easy goal.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
oilwings

OS or trade for Bernier.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
IV XIV XCI

I remember when it was JDD or DD

JDD was bad and I still preferred him over Devan The Dube because all I kept thinking was, this tall "giraffe" lets in one bad goal per game.

Fast forward 6 years later and the same problem exists. Isn't this the definition of insanity (from a GM's perspective).

Old
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Dubey wasn't great last night, but he's still a very respectable 11th in the league for save %, ahead of Lehtonen, Howard, Rinne, Schnieder, Luongo, Fleury, Price, Miller, Brodeur, Hiller, Pavelic, Smith, Brysgalov, Quick, and of course the pride of the fames, Kipursoff.

Those are some big name guys he's outplaying. I'm not sure how much more we can really expect from the guy in his first full year as a starter. The problem is not dubnyk, it's how many shots he's facing.

Edit- I realize the occasional softies are a pain in the ass, but it's how many goals he lets in that matters, not how they go in. For the number of shots he's faced he's doing pretty damn well in that regard.

Last edited by Connor McOilers: 03-21-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Halibut

I dont think it matters whether Dubnyk truly is a #1 starter or not, either way we need a guy to take over the backup role and ideally the guy can challenge for the top spot. There are a ton of servicable guys available every off season for next to nothing, get the best one you can and go from there. Ottawa will have to move one of their guys, LA will be moving Bernier before long, St Louis will be dumping a goalie soon enough. These guys should all go cheap and should be available for draft picks. It doesnt make sense to trade for a goalie because there is little guarantee they will perform as you expect. Trading anything for Luongo would be an insane move, even picking him up off waivers would be stupid with that contract.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Dubey wasn't great last night, but he's still a very respectable 11th in the league for save %, ahead of Lehtonen, Howard, Rinne, Schnieder, Luongo, Fleury, Price, Miller, Brodeur, Hiller, Pavelic, Smith, Brysgalov, Quick, and of course the pride of the fames, Kipursoff.

Those are some big name guys he's outplaying. I'm not sure how much more we can really expect from the guy in his first full year as a starter. The problem is not dubnyk, it's how many shots he's facing.

Edit- I realize the occasional softies are a pain in the ass, but it's how many goals he lets in that matters, not how they go in. For the number of shots he's faced he's doing pretty damn well in that regard.
just because he has a save % higher than some bigger names, doesn't mean he's outplaying them.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I don't get why the media is so easy on him. It's almost like its taboo to criticize Dubnyk. Radio guys on all the stations will say something like "he might want that one back, but the defense in front of him sucks and X player could have made a better play earlier in the shift, etc."

No, how about he cost the team by ******** the bed on an easy goal.
Maybe cause they know a bit more than you?

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Silly thread is silly.

The only people that blame DD are people that have not watched any Oiler's games, or followed any of their stats.

Both show the same result. Goal tender is above league average in performance, skaters are below league average in performance.

DD would have to have a sv% of .935 or better to carry this team to the playoffs with how the current skaters are playing.

How many goalies in the league (that have actually played more than a couple games) have sv% that high? ....1 at 15 games played.

People who think DD is the problem have some serious expectation issues in regards to goalies.
Your point is fair but do you not think the goals he lets in are soft and often come at the worst of times (ie, after we score or late in a game that's tied or we're leading)?

Your goalie needs to give the team confidence.
The way he is playing lately deflates more than uplifts. That's the problem.

I agree he needs more goal support but two 2-goal third period leads squandered in less than a week = not good.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
just because he has a save % higher than some bigger names, doesn't mean he's outplaying them.
Actually I think it does, you mean to tell me a guy with a save % of less then .900 is better then Dubnyk and his .918?

It's baffling that people think a Mike Smith who is struggling in a system that promotes weak shots on net with his .900 SPCT would be a better option.

I'll give you the guys that are maybe .905 and higher, but there is still Smith, Nabby, Neurvith, Bryzgalov, Kipper, Quick, Theodore, Halak/Elliot etc.. that are .900 and below. There is no way those guys are better options.

It's stats, but something tells me people don't watch enough of other teams.

The only options i see out there that wouldn't cost the farm that might be better are Hiller and Miller. If you don't want those guys people either need to shut up or not ***** when it costs an arm and a leg to get someone better.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Problem isn't Dubnyk, sorry. Oilers give up 6 more shots per game than they take, many of which are quality shots. When the Oilers outshoot the other team, they usually win...too bad they rarely do. You simply cannot win many games getting outshot by 6 every game unless your goalie is playing at a Vezina trophy level.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Your point is fair but do you not think the goals he lets in are soft and often come at the worst of times (ie, after we score or late in a game that's tied or we're leading)?

Your goalie needs to give the team confidence.
The way he is playing lately deflates more than uplifts. That's the problem.

I agree he needs more goal support but two 2-goal third period leads squandered in less than a week = not good.
But if your even handed in the least, after they tied it up the Oilers should have lost in regular time. Their show was been run after that & but for Dubnyk standing on his head, they would have lost in regular time.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Actually I think it does, you mean to tell me a guy with a save % of less then .900 is better then Dubnyk and his .918?

It's baffling that people think a Mike Smith who is struggling in a system that promotes weak shots on net with his .900 SPCT would be a better option.

I'll give you the guys that are maybe .905 and higher, but there is still Smith, Nabby, Neurvith, Bryzgalov, Kipper, Quick, Theodore, Halak/Elliot etc.. that are .900 and below. There is no way those guys are better options.

It's stats, but something tells me people don't watch enough of other teams.

The only options i see out there that wouldn't cost the farm that might be better are Hiller and Miller. If you don't want those guys people either need to shut up or not ***** when it costs an arm and a leg to get someone better.
The consensus would say if he played better his stats would improve with that.
His stats are respectable but his gameplay is suspect, the Oilers would be in and ahead on more games if he had beter gameplay. Watch his movement when he is under pressure, he has little fire and gives up, it's that simple. No wonder there were 4 Oiler players last night facing Dubnyk last night in front of the net on the goal that went in of Gagners stick. Why would it be necessary for 4 guys to have there back turned to the other team? Lack of confidence in the goalie in front of them, they certainly were not clearing the crease or reading any plays.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Maybe cause they know a bit more than you?
Oh ya that's right. It's only the "knowledgeable" people that give Dubnyk a free pass.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
oil10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post

YES !!!! I strongly agree. Why is it that us true Oilers fans get this but the band-wagoners don't. Getting really sick and tried of the blame always being on Dubnyk.

All the people saying it's Dubnyks fault should turn on the TV and REALLY watch the full Oilers games. Open your eyes people!

oil10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
The consensus would say if he played better his stats would improve with that.
His stats are respectable but his gameplay is suspect, the Oilers would be in and ahead on more games if he had beter gameplay. Watch his movement when he is under pressure, he has little fire and gives up, it's that simple. No wonder there were 4 Oiler players last night facing Dubnyk last night in front of the net on the goal that went in of Gagners stick. Why would it be necessary for 4 guys to have there back turned to the other team? Lack of confidence in the goalie in front of them, they certainly were not clearing the crease or reading any plays.
I won't deny that Dubnyk's abilities are suspect and that for a big guy he seems to make himself small, but the fact remains that something is working for him. He's stopping more shots then a lot of other guys.

So while we probably can find a guy that appears to have better mechanics, is that going to result in better on ice results?

Maybe.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil10 View Post
YES !!!! I strongly agree. Why is it that us true Oilers fans get this but the band-wagoners don't. Getting really sick and tried of the blame always being on Dubnyk.

All the people saying it's Dubnyks fault should turn on the TV and REALLY watch the full Oilers games. Open your eyes people!
This is rich coming from a poster with count em, 28 posts. Thanks for dropping by.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote