HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
03-21-2013, 07:56 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
11 Years
::::slow clap::::

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Byrddog

Trade deadline is will again be disappointing for the Preds. Any forward that could help the Preds will be looking to go to a team headed to the playoffs. Not one player on the Preds roster screams out to teams as upgrades, at least the ones that DP will part with. Best case Gill, Hannan, and if there lucky SK. Best one could expect is 3rd round picks or later for all of them.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Trade deadline is will again be disappointing for the Preds. Any forward that could help the Preds will be looking to go to a team headed to the playoffs. Not one player on the Preds roster screams out to teams as upgrades, at least the ones that DP will part with. Best case Gill, Hannan, and if there lucky SK. Best one could expect is 3rd round picks or later for all of them.
IMO, if we can dump off, say 3 of those and get decent picks (2nd and 3rd's) for them all, I say success.

We're a young team, especially on D. The future isn't so bad. We're in the middle of a weird 48-game season following another lockout and very little camp with no preseason. Sorry to just downplay how bad the team has been playing, but it's really just a regroup. I don't see this season as a big deal.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Sorry to just downplay how bad the team has been playing, but it's really just a regroup. I don't see this season as a big deal.
I agree with that mostly; I think my concern is that ALL of our veteran Fs went in the tank or have been non-contributors this year. Leggy, Fish, Erat, SK - ugh. Goose and Horny - hurt a ton. Horny is young and we expect him to bounce back - how bout the rest? If those 5, with their contracts, are permanently down, we gonna' have a couple years of struggle here until we're out from under the contracts. I'm not sure I like that "risk management" excercise - I think Poile has to figure a way to move at least 2 of those 5.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I agree with that mostly; I think my concern is that ALL of our veteran Fs went in the tank or have been non-contributors this year. Leggy, Fish, Erat, SK - ugh. Goose and Horny - hurt a ton. Horny is young and we expect him to bounce back - how bout the rest? If those 5, with their contracts, are permanently down, we gonna' have a couple years of struggle here until we're out from under the contracts. I'm not sure I like that "risk management" excercise - I think Poile has to figure a way to move at least 2 of those 5.
Your right, the only saving grace will be the new CBA allows the team to shed two contracts this year. but which two???????? Logic says it will be Leggy, and Fish or maybe Erat.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Your right, the only saving grace will be the new CBA allows the team to shed two contracts this year. but which two???????? Logic says it will be Leggy, and Fish or maybe Erat.
The only players I could see possibly bought out is SK (I'd say 60% chance) and maybe Gill (I'd say maybe a 15% chance). I believe Legwand and Erat will be here until they retire. Fisher was just given an extension last summer, so I look for him to stay a while.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

The deadline this year is the biggest seller's market in recent history given how close the standings are due to the shortened season. I think you'd see surprising hauls for mediocre, but still NHL-level players. All it takes is an injury and grabbing Scott Hannan as a plug on your blueline becomes pretty attractive despite him not being that great when analyzed in a vacuum. Replace Scott Hannan with Legwand, SK, etc. and it still applies. I hope we sell big; I can handle ~2-3 years of mediocrity if we do a sizeable purge and rebuild.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Erat is finally in the cheap years of his deal

and while the owners probably have more money, they are not about to pay guys not to play.

all the CBA does is allow you to buy out players without keeping their cap hit... you still have to pay them 2/3 of their salary to go away

I will be shocked if we buy out anyone this summer... we arent up against the cap, so all buying them out means is we have to find two more guys to replace them, pay those new guys even more than we were paying Leggy and Fish, and STILL pay Leggy and Fish not to be here

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
The only players I could see possibly bought out is SK (I'd say 60% chance) and maybe Gill (I'd say maybe a 15% chance). I believe Legwand and Erat will be here until they retire. Fisher was just given an extension last summer, so I look for him to stay a while.
Your most likley right. Without moving those forwards it is going to be a couple long years.

There under more of a cap squeeze than most think, at this point they have 19 mil to the cap and 12 players to sign. Im not convinced they will spen to the cap, I expect arrounf 60 mil to be there limit so 12 players and 15 mil and retaining the deadwood they have is a recipe for further disaster.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I really don't have the answers for our team. We talk about the need for better centers and how Legwand and Fisher both suck, yet both finished in the top 30 of scoring for centers last season.

I think it's the wingers that are our true offense downfall.

Erat was actually 21st for right wingers.

Hornqvist was 40th.

Kostitsyn was ranked 40th for left wingers.

Bourque was next at 78th.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
The deadline this year is the biggest seller's market in recent history given how close the standings are due to the shortened season. I think you'd see surprising hauls for mediocre, but still NHL-level players. All it takes is an injury and grabbing Scott Hannan as a plug on your blueline becomes pretty attractive despite him not being that great when analyzed in a vacuum. Replace Scott Hannan with Legwand, SK, etc. and it still applies. I hope we sell big; I can handle ~2-3 years of mediocrity if we do a sizeable purge and rebuild.
Im hoping for massive bidding wars....

Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I really don't have the answers for our team. We talk about the need for better centers and how Legwand and Fisher both suck, yet both finished in the top 30 of scoring for centers last season.

I think it's the wingers that are our true offense downfall.

Erat was actually 21st for right wingers.

Hornqvist was 40th.

Kostitsyn was ranked 40th for left wingers.

Bourque was next at 78th.
what didya' have to go and bring FACTS into this for?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'd just be happy to pawn off parts for long term pieces and picks

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
thecloser

i would like something of value.

And i have to said with the people that believe Fish, Erat, and Leggy aren't going anywhere. Especially Fisher.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'd be happy with another 1st and a 2nd. Lose Gill and SK.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I'd be happy to lose Hannan, gill, goose, Sk, and Faarquad for young prospects/picks

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I'd be happy to lose Hannan, gill, goose, Sk, and Faarquad for young prospects/picks
legwand and erat can go too

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
legwand and erat can go too
Again, last season both Fisher and Legwand finished in the top 30 scoring wise for centers.

But they both suck, let's trade them, Erat even though he was 21st in scoring last season for right wingers, he's sucked this year and must be traded.

Of course it's always what they've done the last 20 games right?

Weber didn't score the first 9 games this season, trade him too

And have you seen Rinne's last few games, maybe we should look at him...

Let's throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Again, last season both Fisher and Legwand finished in the top 30 scoring wise for centers.

But they both suck, let's trade them, Erat even though he was 21st in scoring last season for right wingers, he's sucked this year and must be traded.

Of course it's always what they've done the last 20 games right?

Weber didn't score the first 9 games this season, trade him too

And have you seen Rinne's last few games, maybe we should look at him...

Let's throw the baby out with the bath water.
here we go again.... putting down posters for how they would like the team to go forward.

you can stick with these forwards. ive actually praised alot of them. im really high on wilson and bourque. ive praised erat more than most.. check post history. but his play has been anemic. hoping he is hurt otherwise...

its nothing against these guys personally... they are all playing a line too high.. combined with their salary and declining skills.. i think moving some at least is a no brainer if they are willing to waive the NMC/NTC .. i think we all agree the window on this team has shut. i think even at max output this roster wins a series or 2 in the playoffs if we draw a easy opponent. but this team is nowhere close to a stanley cup.

i mean honestly.. are you suggesting we just hold onto erat, legwand, fisher until they can't play no more? i dont want to be calgary 2.0 .. we had a great run and they did a lot for this franchise but its time to cut ways with some guys. we have to maximize assets.. we saw the suter deal. fisher and erat both would garnish a 1st + at the deadline.. not sure on legwand.. maybe a 1st? .. im okay with a rebuild .. its time. only guy of the 3 I can justify keeping is fisher that's a reduced salary and role .. (3rd line center).. erat too if he turns it around or if he is playing hurt. we have to maximize our assets

Old
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Goose is injured and has 3 more years on his deal... not exactly the usual deadline trade fodder

Gill is injured and has one year left on his deal. still possible if he's well by the deadline but more likely he stays

SK... I'd love to dump him for a bag of pucks but he's an asset signed for another year so we probably would get better return in the summer... but if there is a bidding war, that might be really good as almost all playoff teams would love to add offense

Farqaad is also an asset signed for two more years at pretty high money so not a prime deadline trade.

Hannan is our most likely trade dump, plus Yip if anyone is looking for a little grit

Old
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
here we go again.... putting down posters for how they would like the team to go forward.

you can stick with these forwards. ive actually praised alot of them. im really high on wilson and bourque. ive praised erat more than most.. check post history. but his play has been anemic. hoping he is hurt otherwise...

its nothing against these guys personally... they are all playing a line too high.. combined with their salary and declining skills.. i think moving some at least is a no brainer if they are willing to waive the NMC/NTC .. i think we all agree the window on this team has shut. i think even at max output this roster wins a series or 2 in the playoffs if we draw a easy opponent. but this team is nowhere close to a stanley cup.

i mean honestly.. are you suggesting we just hold onto erat, legwand, fisher until they can't play no more? i dont want to be calgary 2.0 .. we had a great run and they did a lot for this franchise but its time to cut ways with some guys. we have to maximize assets.. we saw the suter deal. fisher and erat both would garnish a 1st + at the deadline.. not sure on legwand.. maybe a 1st? .. im okay with a rebuild .. its time. only guy of the 3 I can justify keeping is fisher that's a reduced salary and role .. (3rd line center).. erat too if he turns it around or if he is playing hurt. we have to maximize our assets
I'm not bashing you don't be so thin skinned.

I just think after years of service dumping someone because of a bad steak is different than hanging on to a player after years of declining play. I truly believe Erat has to be hurt.

I don't want to be the next Calgary, but I don't want to be the next Florida either.

Last edited by triggrman: 03-21-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: You have to know me, it's all tongue in cheek man, don't take me personal....
Old
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

I just think after years of service dumping someone because of a bad steak is different than hanging on to a player after years of declining play. I truly believe Erat has to be hurt.

I don't want to be the next Calgary, but I don't want to be the next Florida either.
Florida is exactly the team that came to mind when I saw posters wanting to sell off half our team. We'd have to overpay a bunch of scrubs this summer just to reach the cap floor. No respectable UFA will want to sign here with no veteran core in place.

However, I still believe that we should make a choice between Fisher and Legwand going forward. Not saying that choice needs to be made now, or even this summer. But come 2014, I don't want them both.

As for this deadline, it would be nice to somehow get another 2013 late 1st round pick or an early 2nd round pick. Mainly in case there is an opportunity to trade up. If we end up picking in the 8-12 range, it'd be nice to be able to trade up a couple spots for a forward since most mock drafts are predicting defensemen to go in that range.

Then again, our ability to draft and develop defensemen is undeniable. So picking one may not be such a bad idea.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:

sorry if i took your post the wrong way. cant tell the tone.

im just really discouraged with our forwards right now. maybe watching the pittsburgh, detroit, anaheims of the league has fuzzed my vision of what most teams forwards look like. im really disappointed in our leadera this year. im all for selling them but if they are okay with a reduced role and salary then keep them. i agree with your post in another thread about legwand coming in here from day 1 and doing what was asked with no complaints. i respect legwand but this is a business and the door for guys like him, fish, erat on this team seem to be closing.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

You can't dump Erat; most consistent player we've had over the long run. Fine with everything else that was suggested.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm all over the place most of the time NoNeck, never take me seriously.

Also, I'd too would like to upgrade Legwand and/or Fisher or even better yet just get a top notch center and slide them both down a line. Legwand/Fisher might not be an ideal first line center but as a 3rd line center either would be awesome.

I really think though, center is not our biggest issue, wingers are. If Erat can turn it around, and both Wilson and Bourque can continue to improve we might be ok, we'd still be short. I think ideally right now Bourque is a checking line winger that can score, much like Hornqvist, but neither are great playmaking wingers, Erat is the closes to that on the team. We need some wingers that can back the opposing defensemen up and create room on the breakouts for our defensemen to be able to breakout easier, and to open up the points in the offensive zone.