HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Drew Doughty's Comments on Phoenix/Vancouver (mod warning #185)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
  #101
cyclones22
Registered User
 
cyclones22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: United States
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
He will be the first one to tell you that he needs to score more. But, he's in a much different situation this season with Mitchell and Greene being out. Sutter has been VERY happy with Doughty. If he wasn't, he would say so.
That's one thing Sutter is not shy about doing...accountability and calling you out in the press.

cyclones22 is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
  #102
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
He will be the first one to tell you that he needs to score more. But, he's in a much different situation this season with Mitchell and Greene being out. Sutter has been VERY happy with Doughty. If he wasn't, he would say so.
Sutter, from earlier in the year:
“We expect a lot out of [Doughty],” said head coach Darryl Sutter told the media “He has to, clearly, play better in his own zone.”

vanwest is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
  #103
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Doesn't sound like he was whining at all.

Are you just trying to make yourself feel better because he made fun of your team?
Pretty much this. Yes, he has acted out before, but the quote seems pretty realistic and fair, and doesn't sound like whining. He also said the Canucks are hard to play against, so I donno why Canuck fans are getting bent. You set this whole thread up to be a thread bashing Doughty, and then at the last second, to keep it open, ask a question with an obvious answer, that isn't really about the info you provided. Pretty silly.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
  #104
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,786
vCash: 500
Awards:
Brutal honesty is fine with me, and it is especially true with regards to Phoenix. What Doan did in the handshake line last year was a disgrace and certainly worth remembering. It's not hard to see why a Kings player would be quick to call out the Coyotes when asked the question.

Live in the Now is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  #105
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sutter, from earlier in the year:
“We expect a lot out of [Doughty],” said head coach Darryl Sutter told the media “He has to, clearly, play better in his own zone.”
Sutter, from earlier this week:

"Drew's been awesome. I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally. The only thing I try and do is keep pressure off him because he hasn't scored. There are times during games where he forces it where he doesn't have to. It's like I tell him, ‘Just beat one. You don't have to beat five.' Because if you beat one, there's a good chance you're making a good enough play that somebody else is going to be open. It's hard for a young guy to do it still. It's still a struggle out there … Are we happy with him? Of course we're happy with him. [He's] a guy that plays 26 minutes on a team that's six games over .500 at his age.”

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...otal-who-cares

Leo W is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  #106
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sutter, from earlier in the year:
“We expect a lot out of [Doughty],” said head coach Darryl Sutter told the media “He has to, clearly, play better in his own zone.”
That was earlier in the year. I'm on mobile so I can't post what he said about Doughty last week. He basically said that he's made maybe 3 or 4 mistakes all year. That's a happy coach.

Thanks Leonard.

Shellz is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
  #107
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Brutal honesty is fine with me, and it is especially true with regards to Phoenix. What Doan did in the handshake line last year was a disgrace and certainly worth remembering.
Doan should have shook hands but what Brown did was a bigger disgrace, IMO.

vanwest is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
  #108
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Doan should have shook hands but what Brown did was a bigger disgrace, IMO.
Which is what? Make a hit that was full body contact and didn't get a penalty or even a second look by the NHL? You're reaching, I respect Canuck fans unlike a lot of those on here but you're really looking for excuses to just bash the team that knocked you out of the playoffs last year.

Leo W is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
  #109
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser
 
Cursed Lemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Sedins? No, just no. I can't believe how many people list them
Now must be the part where I post Youtube links. c:

Cursed Lemon is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
  #110
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,786
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Doan should have shook hands but what Brown did was a bigger disgrace, IMO.
Make a hit? Come on. Brown also didn't go throw his gloves off and chase someone around like a moron on Tuesday night, never has done that.

Live in the Now is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
  #111
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Sutter, from earlier this week:

"Drew's been awesome. I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally. The only thing I try and do is keep pressure off him because he hasn't scored. There are times during games where he forces it where he doesn't have to. It's like I tell him, ‘Just beat one. You don't have to beat five.' Because if you beat one, there's a good chance you're making a good enough play that somebody else is going to be open. It's hard for a young guy to do it still. It's still a struggle out there … Are we happy with him? Of course we're happy with him. [He's] a guy that plays 26 minutes on a team that's six games over .500 at his age.”

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...otal-who-cares
Sounds like Sutter istrying to build up his confidence. That's good coaching.
And I agree that his defence is much better in the last 19 games compared to the first 10. One goal though is a very subpar year for Doughty. Sure there are reasons but it's still very subpar.

vanwest is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
  #112
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Which is what? Make a hit that was full body contact and didn't get a penalty or even a second look by the NHL? You're reaching, I respect Canuck fans unlike a lot of those on here but you're really looking for excuses to just bash the team that knocked you out of the playoffs last year.
I'm not bashing the team at all. I'd take Doughty on my team in a heart beat. I'm just pointing out that for a guy who has been in the Norris discussion before he's having a sub par year.
You guys are looking at one side of the Doan incident. You're not being objective. Try to consider how you'd feel had Doan done that to Brown. I am willing to bet that you'd have a different interpretation of the so-called clean hit.

vanwest is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
  #113
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I'm not bashing the team at all. I'd take Doughty on my team in a heart beat.
You guys are looking at one side of the Doan incident.
Well please, do explain...

Shellz is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
  #114
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I'm not bashing the team at all. I'd take Doughty on my team in a heart beat.
You guys are looking at one side of the Doan incident.
I didn't say anything about what Doan did, if I was in his situation I would've been livid as well. The hit was borderline, but it was clean. I was not one of the Kings fans that was complaining about Doan the past few nights.

Leo W is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:39 PM
  #115
Reverend Mayhem
Registered User
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,798
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Meh, just another article taken out of context. I don't really care because it's a Wyshynski article. Yeah, are guys whine sometimes, guess what? The whole league does. At least we don't do it so obviously like Doughty does though.

Great player, needs to learn how to talk to the media like P.K. Subban who actually handles that pretty well.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
  #116
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
I didn't say anything about what Doan did, if I was in his situation I would've been livid as well. The hit was borderline, but it was clean. I was not one of the Kings fans that was complaining about Doan the past few nights.
Fair enough.
My main point was that it all depends on which side of the fence you are on. Had Doan made that hit on Brown I think most LA fans would have reacted differently. You sound like you're able to look at things objectively. Anyways I'm getting off topic so time to move on.

vanwest is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
  #117
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island
 
Oh Snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Alright so Canucks fan logic:

Doughty mentions Vancounver in a quote being used out of context when he was answering a question: Omg guys look he's talking about Vancouver we are in his head all the time, we are so awesome huh!

What they fail the see is that every other day, Canuck fans create a thread about Doughty. SO, with Vancouver Canuck HFLogic, we can conclude that Doughty is the best player ever, and Canuck fans can't get enough of him.


Last edited by Oh Snap: 03-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Oh Snap is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
  #118
Reverend Mayhem
Registered User
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,798
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Brutal honesty is fine with me, and it is especially true with regards to Phoenix. What Doan did in the handshake line last year was a disgrace and certainly worth remembering. It's not hard to see why a Kings player would be quick to call out the Coyotes when asked the question.
Yeah, Doan could have handled that better but that all happened pretty fast.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
  #119
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Doesn't sound like he was whining at all.

Are you just trying to make yourself feel better because he made fun of your team?
A common theme with that particular fanbase.

RonSwanson* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  #120
Vic Vinegar
Registered User
 
Vic Vinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sounds like Sutter istrying to build up his confidence. That's good coaching.
And I agree that his defence is much better in the last 19 games compared to the first 10. One goal though is a very subpar year for Doughty. Sure there are reasons but it's still very subpar.
Doughty may be having a subpar year by fantasy hockey terms. But as far as the game that is actually played on the ice, Doughty is doing exactly what the team needs from him. Sutter is praising Doughty BECAUSE HE DESERVES PRAISE FOR HIS PLAY. No other reason.

Vic Vinegar is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  #121
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Snap View Post
Alright so Canucks fan logic:

Doughty mentions Vancounver in a quote being used out of context when he was answering a question: Omg guys look he's talking about Vancouver we are in his head all the time, we are so awesome huh!

What they fail the see is that every other day, they are creating a thread about Doughty. SO, with Vancouver Canuck HFLogic, we can conclude that Doughty is the best player ever, and Canuck fans can't get enough of him.
Who is?

Wheatley is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
  #122
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island
 
Oh Snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
That's 29 games.
And i was going off remarks that your coach made about him earlier in the season when he was -10 after about 10 games.
Seems like you need to read a few threads that were made in the last 2 days on this exact subject.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1380119

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1380461

Oh Snap is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
  #123
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island
 
Oh Snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Who is?
Vancouver fans.

Oh Snap is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
  #124
Reverend Mayhem
Registered User
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,798
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Snap View Post
(a vocal minority of) Vancouver fans.
I think that addition suits it better.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  #125
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Snap View Post
Seems like you need to read a few threads that were made in the last 2 days on this exact subject.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1380119

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1380461
I did respond to those comments.
He's picked up his defence but one goal in 29 games is not up to par for a defenceman of the caliber of Doughty.

vanwest is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.