HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Pukhogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
Hey Spitfire fans. It looks like Dalen Kuchmey could very well playing with the Spits next season.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/19/cr...in-the-running

Kuchmey could be a player like Troy Passingham - makes the team as a 19-year-old rookie and plays an overage season after that.
It would be nice to see him play somewhere. Having a second year in jr.B benefitted him in development keep in mind he took the rockets all the way to the finals with London as a rookie. This year he broke the team record for most shutouts recorded. He was selected to play in the all star game and was was selected as 1st team all star goalie for the west. His stats show for it. In the playoffs right now his GAA is 2.51 with 372 shots .937SA%
Dekort would of benefitted another year in Jr.B. He should of played at least 20-30% of the games he did not play.

Last edited by Pukhogg: 03-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 05:08 AM
Hawks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
It would be nice to see him play somewhere. Having a second year in jr.B benefitted him in development keep in mind he took the rockets all the way to the finals with London as a rookie. This year he broke the team record for most shutouts recorded. He was selected to play in the all star game and was was selected as 1st team all star goalie for the west. His stats show for it. In the playoffs right now his GAA is 2.51 with 372 shots .937SA%
Dekort would of benefitted another year in Jr.B. He should of played at least 20-30% of the games he did not play.
That is what I have been saying from day one about Dekort, finally someone agrees with me. This was a wasted year for him. I thought Kuch should have been here all along. Jordan watched alot of pucks go over his shoulders that he never even moved on. We need a superstar goalie next year hopefully we pick up someone. Goaltending I feel was the biggest issue this season especially when Pavelka's game went south.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
RayzorIsDull

I am curious as to why people think this team would have been better with Kuchmey in net. Goaltending was an issue but there were far bigger issues so unless you have a solution to the myriad of other problems I fail to see how Kuchmey would solve those problems.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

So before anyone gets all fired up at this, I am posting this to ONLY those who thought Dale should be fired....
Remember when the Knights were too loud at a hotel in Kingston? There were several people who thought Dale should be fired for letting those off ice shenanigans take place and how he needs to have better control of his players?
So how come nobody is calling for Boughners head? Or Rychels? I've been reading the posts. It is awful what happened to those girls, and although Johnson is not yet guilty, this isn't good for the franchise.
Lots of talk about blowing up the team, and making a run two years from now when the picks are in tow and the riches from possible deals of Koekoek, Rychel etc.
Why not really start fresh and get a coach who doesn't turn every blowout loss into a fightfest? Why not get a coach who has better control and influence over his players? It worked for the Sault.
Again, to those who didn't bash Hunter during the Kingston 'riots', consider the question just as it is...why not start fresh with a new coach.
To those who did bash Hunter during the time, I ask, how's your backyard looking?

Old
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Ottomatic

^Well this wasn't a official team function first of all. I don't think anybody here said Hunter should be fired either, I think that's a strawman attempt. Also if you would be so kind to link to posts here which referred to the Kingston happening as "riots".

Seems to me like your here to just stir **** - though you so humbly profess that simply is not the case. Thou doth protest too much.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
OHLTG

Kingston = team function

Windsor = non-team function

I'm with Otto...I don't recall ppl saying for Hunter to be fired or any of this "riot" stuff. I wanted them to be thrown out of the hotel, though, and the players disciplined.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

They were not riots. I put that for effect, due to the reaction that some had you would think they were in fact riots. I do agree that they should have been shown the door from the hotel, and players disciplined.

Otto, if you don't recall people calling for Hunter being fired etc, doesn't mean it didn't happen. People took that way too far.

But ok, forget the off ice antics....let me ask you from a hockey perspective. Time for a coaching change? (I am not here to stir up stuff at all.)
Besides the star studded two years, is Boughner an effective coach?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
JL17

I think Boughner should retool his coaching abilities this summer.... The last 2 years he really hasn't had any kids progress as players aside from Kerby.

I think he needs to stop calling kids out in the media... Take them in the office sit them down talk it out and leave them out of post game negativity just positives. We know Dale was a hot head behind the bench early in his coaching days and now he's mellowed out and things seem to be better. If you have to consistently yell at everyone from the bench means things aren't working in practice.

I think if he does a few things to improve himself as a coach Windsor will get back to winning.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
They were not riots. I put that for effect, due to the reaction that some had you would think they were in fact riots. I do agree that they should have been shown the door from the hotel, and players disciplined.

Otto, if you don't recall people calling for Hunter being fired etc, doesn't mean it didn't happen. People took that way too far.

But ok, forget the off ice antics....let me ask you from a hockey perspective. Time for a coaching change? (I am not here to stir up stuff at all.)
Besides the star studded two years, is Boughner an effective coach?
So link to some of these posts made on the Spits board. You make hyperbolic claims to ascribe to Spitfire fans to create this phony strawman to then argue against.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I think Boughner should retool his coaching abilities this summer.... The last 2 years he really hasn't had any kids progress as players aside from Kerby.

I think he needs to stop calling kids out in the media... Take them in the office sit them down talk it out and leave them out of post game negativity just positives. We know Dale was a hot head behind the bench early in his coaching days and now he's mellowed out and things seem to be better. If you have to consistently yell at everyone from the bench means things aren't working in practice.

I think if he does a few things to improve himself as a coach Windsor will get back to winning.

I think many here would love to see Jones leave. His contract is up for renewal this off-season, but all reports have that he's sure to come back. He's Boughner's best buddy and best man at his wedding(or he was best man at Boughners). And then you have Matsos - just so happens that he's Boughner's brother in law, with Bob married to Matsos' sister.

Top it all off that Boughner owns about 80% of the team and bought the team for two reasons - as a retirement nest egg and to leapfrog up the coaching ranks with his designs on an NHL coaching gig.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I think many here would love to see Jones leave. His contract is up for renewal this off-season, but all reports have that he's sure to come back. He's Boughner's best buddy and best man at his wedding(or he was best man at Boughners). And then you have Matsos - just so happens that he's Boughner's brother in law, with Bob married to Matsos' sister.

Top it all off that Boughner owns about 80% of the team and bought the team for two reasons - as a retirement nest egg and to leapfrog up the coaching ranks with his designs on an NHL coaching gig.
Well he went up the coaching ranks because of the product that was on the ice... don't think there is much of a arguement there. Now that it's what it is IMO he doesn't look like the best coach or a coach that I would want behind a NHL team bench. If he continued his ways there players IMO would ignore him in a hurry. Look at the successful coaches in the NHL right now they're mild mannered, fun to be around but disciplined and don't really chew out players in the media unless it's really necessary.

That's just the way I see things right now with him... players aren't getting better and top picks are regressing. Players seems to be ignoring things. Retool work on some things and calm down behind the bench. Players feed off there coach and being animated and yelling constantly doesn't lead to success when you have a fragile group to begin with.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Well he went up the coaching ranks because of the product that was on the ice... don't think there is much of a arguement there. Now that it's what it is IMO he doesn't look like the best coach or a coach that I would want behind a NHL team bench. If he continued his ways there players IMO would ignore him in a hurry. Look at the successful coaches in the NHL right now they're mild mannered, fun to be around but disciplined and don't really chew out players in the media unless it's really necessary.

That's just the way I see things right now with him... players aren't getting better and top picks are regressing. Players seems to be ignoring things. Retool work on some things and calm down behind the bench. Players feed off there coach and being animated and yelling constantly doesn't lead to success when you have a fragile group to begin with.
This post is bang on. Exaclty the conversation I was looking to get churning. I agree completely. Surprise more don't feel that way....but I do get it, that the issues are on the ice with the players...but sometimes you have to look at the top down.
I think a fresh start would benefit all.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Boughner fan club: population > you.

Regardless of who or where it was said about the Knights issues earlier in the year, I think you have missed the point (probably due to you looking up words in your thesaurus).
So you think Boug's is doing a great job. Ok then. I see things are a little tense for some in Spits land.
I know of more ppl who are questioning the coaching in general. Frankly, I want to give them a couple more seasons because I don't believe they're fully responsible for what the players do on the ice.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I know of more ppl who are questioning the coaching in general. Frankly, I want to give them a couple more seasons because I don't believe they're fully responsible for what the players do on the ice.
That's fair. This would be a good chance for the staff to show that they can take a team, rebuild it and rise from the ashes.
Hey, so London and Windsor have the possibility to be good trade partners come draft time.
London sends the Spits a 2nd and a 5th in this years draft for two 2nds next year?
Some variation of picks going each way would be good for both teams. London will have at most, 3 positions available for rookies...and Windsor needs the picks next year (i think i remember seeing they only have a few).

Old
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
You came in making baseless claims about how Spitfire fans were saying Hunter should be fired and how we were claiming there was a "riot" at the motel that night. I called ******** and because you were pulling that all out of your ass, you tried to gloss over those charges you made and deflect.

If you wanted to know about our feelings on Boughner, you could have just came with that, not made up some fantasy about Spitfire fans seemingly en masse calling for Hunter's head and labeling the Kingston hotel debacle as "riots" and frame it as Spitfires fans thusly being hypocritical.
Was it you that called for Hunter to be fired? If it wasn't, then skip to the part where I asked your thoughts on Boughner being let go for a fresh start. Maybe you should re-read the post. Or are you appointed to defend all Spitfire supporters and ask for proof and claim of all that is said. Wow man, get a grip.
If you had no issue with the Hunter during the Kingston saga (are you going to call me out now because I called it a saga and completely miss the fact I was being sarcastic when I called it a riot) then you were asked a simple question regarding Boug's tenure as coach.
Good job, pound the chest a bit more...the leader of Spitfire nation has spoken!

Old
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Was it you that called for Hunter to be fired? If it wasn't, then skip to the part where I asked your thoughts on Boughner being let go for a fresh start. Maybe you should re-read the post. Or are you appointed to defend all Spitfire supporters and ask for proof and claim of all that is said. Wow man, get a grip.
If you had no issue with the Hunter during the Kingston saga (are you going to call me out now because I called it a saga and completely miss the fact I was being sarcastic when I called it a riot) then you were asked a simple question regarding Boug's tenure as coach.
Good job, pound the chest a bit more...the leader of Spitfire nation has spoken!
What ARE you babbling about? I honestly have no idea what your point is, and quite frankly neither do you. You've tried your best to cause trouble in a round about way, but you've just ended up confusing yourself and have made no point at all.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:19 PM
OHLTG

Okay, NOW I'm lost...

Old
03-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Libbs

Quote:

Ok no but really, i made a post, Otto took it personally when it wasnt directed at him, and all i asked was do you think Bougs should be fired. End of story

Otto didn't take what you said personally... he just called you out on your poor attempt to be humorous and asking an illogical question. While at the same time, accusing people of saying things and refusing to offer direct proof of your accusations.

And to answer your rather illogical question: No. Jones and Matsos should be let go.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:24 PM
RayzorIsDull

Can we wax poetic about the abilities of Dale Hunter. Is this Dale Hunter the same coach that turned Alexander Ovechkin into a 3rd and 4th line checker in Washington last year? Boy what an amazing coach, winning a Memorial Cup in 05 when his only job was to make sure Perry, Schremp, Fritsche, Hunter, Rodney, Syvret all got to the arena in one piece. Then Dale Hunter proceeds to do nothing for 5-6 years and is now the toast of the town again.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
youngblood10

Quote:

Mike Stapleton was very mellow behind the hounds bench and never called out players.

Sheldon Keefe barks and is very intense behind that same bench.

Who would you rather have coaching your team?

It's not about the style it's about consistency, expectations and accountability. And if you have the horses like the Hunters do, that makes up for much of everything.

The Spits coaching staff is not what it once was DJ Smith was a big cog. Also the Kerby factor kills the expectations, accountability and consistency through the group.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Can we wax poetic about the abilities of Dale Hunter. Is this Dale Hunter the same coach that turned Alexander Ovechkin into a 3rd and 4th line checker in Washington last year? Boy what an amazing coach, winning a Memorial Cup in 05 when his only job was to make sure Perry, Schremp, Fritsche, Hunter,
Rodney, Syvret all got to the arena in one piece. Then Dale Hunter proceeds to do nothing for 5-6 years and is now the toast of the town again.
Nothing...OHL championships? Geez, that means the Spits other than their 2 purchased years have done less than nothing.
Go back to your 4 year planning Rayzor.
Libbs/Otto, regardless of who said what when its all a matter of opinion anyways. The question, whether you agree or disagree, is a valid question. Team misses the playoffs and is a circus off the ice over the past few years, I'd say its fair to question the coaches job.
You have to take off your homer glasses to see that though fellas....

Old
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
OHLTG

It's a fair question, but you're going to get debate and frustration when you bring it up. Boughner and the boys probably aren't going anywhere, any time soon. I'm glad, too. I believe they've gotten a raw deal, to some extent. That's just my take.

"Purchased years"? Really?

Old
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
It's a fair question, but you're going to get debate and frustration when you bring it up. Boughner and the boys probably aren't going anywhere, any time soon. I'm glad, too. I believe they've gotten a raw deal, to some extent. That's just my take.

Fair enough, well said.
Ya, i guess that whole sanctions joke is gettin old. My bad.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Libbs/Otto, regardless of who said what when its all a matter of opinion anyways.
So wait a second... you make accusations then say they are a "matter of opinion"? So did someone actually say what you are claiming or is it only in your head that you are imagining that's what people are thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG
I wouldn't even pay attention to his feeble attempt to be a troll.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:38 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
So wait a second... you make accusations then say they are a "matter of opinion"? So did someone actually say what you are claiming or is it only in your head that you are imagining that's what people are thinking?

I wouldn't even pay attention to his feeble attempt to be a troll.
Good call. Obviously nothing doing on his board.

Wonder if anyone has a definitive answer regarding the wording of the Import rule change. It has to be written somewhere or is 'Wee Davie' flying by the seat of his pants again?

Closed Thread