HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #30 - Canucks @ Roadrunners - March 21st, 1977, 7:00 - Sports Network Pacific

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
No whining. Ottawa has just as many injuries to better players and has been winning.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
No whining. Ottawa has just as many injuries to better players and has been winning.
What about Florida...

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
PRNuck

Quote:
Yeah but their coach is smart and they've done a half decent job filling their pipeline with prospects!

Old
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Here's my lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Bieksa

after that I don't care. Make it happen AV!

Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Here's my lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Bieksa

after that I don't care. Make it happen AV!
You misspelled Ebbett.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
What about Florida...
They had alot of "circus time" last year (I think the most games - or up there - games going past regulation than any other team). That and being in a weak division + solid goaltending from The-Odore meant the team looked better than they really were.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
You misspelled Ebbett.
I think we need to make a trade to get Aaron Rome back, it should be Sedin Sedin Rome, and then Rome on every line up.

Anyways, with the injury we sustain, why we didn't bother call up Jansen?

Old
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
What about Florida...
Florida is 2-7-1 in their last 10... I wouldn't call that winning.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Askel

AV should move burrows of the Sedin line, with a line up this depleted the Sedin needs to carry a 3rd liner and Burrows can make another line better. My line up

Sedin-Sedin-Weise
Raymond-Schroder-Hansen
Burrows-Lappy-Ebbett/Gordon
Sestitio-Gordon/Ebbett-Alberts

Still looks like crap, but at least there is 2 NHL players on at least 3 lines.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
AV should move burrows of the Sedin line, with a line up this depleted the Sedin needs to carry a 3rd liner and Burrows can make another line better. My line up

Sedin-Sedin-Weise
Raymond-Schroder-Hansen
Burrows-Lappy-Ebbett/Gordon
Sestitio-Gordon/Ebbett-Alberts

Still looks like crap, but at least there is 2 NHL players on at least 3 lines.
Hmm, I don't know... Lapierre's got his best impression of an AHLer down pat at this point.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Florida is 2-7-1 in their last 10... I wouldn't call that winning.
Exactly, that'll be our fate.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
True - and I might be inclined to agree with that but this team has played questionably defensively for more than a year now (going back to the 2nd half of LAST season). At least then, a somewhat full roster & goaltending masked that problem to a degree (until the playoffs came - when the likes of Ballard is one of our better D - you know you've got problems).
Honestly, this team needs guys like Kesler and Malhotra to work really properly. Those guys being compromised is an enormous hit to the entire structure of the team.

You look at the way this team is built, aside from the Sedins the forward group really emphasizes guys that have wheels and can cover a lot of ice to dig in their own zone and then turn play back the other way in a hurry.

Up the middle, you've got, ideally, Kesler, Malhotra, and Lapierre. Big bodies that can take care of their own end, cover a whole ton of ice, and get places in a hurry.

On wings, this team's identity is in guys like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, hell, even Weise and Booth. Guys that can cover a lot of ice, are tenacious puck pursuit guys to varying degrees, and have wheels to get after it in a hurry.

The D is made up of mostly middling-sized guys, who either don't have the ability or the size to really lock things down and be a rock in their own zone. Speaking defensively: Edler is big, but doesn't consistently bring it on the defensive side of the puck. Hamhuis is a ****ing rock, but he's still undersized for the role. Bieksa can play with an edge, but also has a tendency to be really loosey-goosey in his own end. Ballard is small and skates himself into trouble. Tanev has the brains and the feet, but is built like a 16 year old. Alberts is a monster, but he has ****** feet and usually bag gaps. Barker, well. Garrison is the closest thing to a prototypical defensive lockdown D-man in the lineup.

This team, defensively, is built to, ideally, defend by having the puck. They're supposed to get the puck by winning draws, or by having strong back pressure from the forwards who are guys who will come and take it from you. With the guys they're missing up front, that becomes increasingly difficult as the lineup gets watered down and veers away from the blueprint.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Honestly, this team needs guys like Kesler and Malhotra to work really properly. Those guys being compromised is an enormous hit to the entire structure of the team.
Again while I can't argue against that logic - but again, how do you explain the 2nd half performance of this team (defensively)? It wasn't as bad (due to the points you raised) but it was still medicore (defensively). Injuries only highlighted what problems already existed on the roster (at least from a performance point of view).

For whatever "weakneses" this blueline has - it should still be far better than it is. And largely healthy as well.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Again while I can't argue against that logic - but again, how do you explain the 2nd half performance of this team (defensively)? It wasn't as bad (due to the points you raised) but it was still medicore (defensively). Injuries only highlighted what problems already existed on the roster (at least from a performance point of view).
You beat me to editing, so I'll just put it here - none of this is meant to completely excuse AV of his share of things. He's made some weird choices, and Gillis has done some interesting things, too. That said, we likely only know about 10% of the story on most things that those guys do, so it's tough to really comment on them.

Last year seemed like a combination of factors. Kelser was hurt, Malhotra wasn't super effective, Lapierre spent a stretch with the Sedins, Higgins and Booth had injuries, Raymond's recovery, etc. Also, Salo was really not the same player after his injury, and he was generally something of an anchor for the defensive group. On top of that, at various the whole team just seemed to be out of gas, both mentally and physically.

It really seems like it has been a long while since there hasn't been some major factor disrupting the team from being able to be configured in the way that they're meant to be. Now obviously that's an excuse to some degree, and they should be prepared to deal with injuries and whatnot, since those are just part of reality, but starting with the 2011 finals, this team has really had a long string of pretty disastrous circumstances that also can't be ignored. Obviously you'd hope they'd deal with them better than they have, but sometimes an excuse is also just a reason.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Why do I get the feeling we will see a line of:

Gordon-Schroeder-Alberts

and AV will call out Schroeder for doing nothing offensively?

03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why do I get the feeling we will see a line of:

Gordon-Schroeder-Alberts

and AV will call out Schroeder for doing nothing offensively?
No we won't...

It will be...

Sestito-Schroeder-Alberts

Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

From Nucks facebook
News from Coach V in Phoenix:

"Higgins left morning skate early with a sore back and is not expected to play. Pinizzotto woke up yesterday not feeling well. We will likely have to play one of our defensemen as a winger tonight."

Old
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
You beat me to editing, so I'll just put it here - none of this is meant to completely excuse AV of his share of things. He's made some weird choices, and Gillis has done some interesting things, too. That said, we likely only know about 10% of the story on most things that those guys do, so it's tough to really comment on them.

Last year seemed like a combination of factors. Kelser was hurt, Malhotra wasn't super effective, Lapierre spent a stretch with the Sedins, Higgins and Booth had injuries, Raymond's recovery, etc. Also, Salo was really not the same player after his injury, and he was generally something of an anchor for the defensive group. On top of that, at various the whole team just seemed to be out of gas, both mentally and physically.

It really seems like it has been a long while since there hasn't been some major factor disrupting the team from being able to be configured in the way that they're meant to be. Now obviously that's an excuse to some degree, and they should be prepared to deal with injuries and whatnot, since those are just part of reality, but starting with the 2011 finals, this team has really had a long string of pretty disastrous circumstances that also can't be ignored. Obviously you'd hope they'd deal with them better than they have, but sometimes an excuse is also just a reason.
Salo wasn't that great before the injury (he looked worse after the Marchand cheapshot). For whatever reason, the Edler-Salo pairing didn't work. I mean, on paper, it looked like a can't miss combination; but in reality it wasn't. Edler was almost as bad in his own zone as he is now.

But enough about this...back to the game....

Might be the right type of opponent for a injury depleted team like the Canucks. Just have to not give up alot of scoring chances.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
BrandonL

Finally. We get to see Alberts with the Sedins.

Been waiting years for this moment.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Sedin Sedin Burrows (will have to rely on)
Raymond Schroeder Hansen (also have to rely on)

uh oh

Ebbett Lapierre Pinizzotto
Alberts Gordon Sestito

Old
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
We weren't given their magic juice that makes AHL players play awesome

Old
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
VanCanucks14

That is one ugly, ugly line up tonight. Means the top line, defense and goaltending have to bring their A+ game.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
BerSTUzzi

I predict the Wolves lose 2-1 to the Yotes. Schneids stands on his head

Last edited by BerSTUzzi: 03-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
I don't have any expectations anymore with the lineups we keep icing.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
luongo321

Quote:
But they have a coach that gives a damn.

I will be watching this game just for the laughs. I could use a couple.

Closed Thread