HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I don't sweep the puck anymore, but I did cup it at the mid and fire.

Side note, the kid in those videos won the state championship this past weekend.

Anyways, I swapped the 2" plugs for 1" and will use this weekend. Then the season's over.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Had a lot of trouble getting my shots on net last night. I missed about five shots, all high and wide. Going to cut the sticks down again, or swap the plugs for shorter ones in my case.

Still want to go to a flatter curve so I can work on my passing game though.
That's why I've always stuck with a CCM-Thornton, then the similar Bauer-Kane curve. I never have a problem putting lift on shots, and they're still controlled. But the passing is so consistent with them. I just push it off my heel and it always goes right where I want it.

You mention that you have been practicing the toe shots and I find this stick still allows for those as well. Just a real good blade for everything without any major drawbacks IMO.

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Ozz

I can hardly take good slappers with my P88 without spreading my hands wide. I have a great one with other blades though. Anyone have P88 slapper tips?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ended up taking out all the plugs in my sticks, dropped them down 2" for the last game of the year. Accuracy and release were better, catching passes was not (lots of passes just out of my reach), slapper was a little worse.

Used the 55 flex DT2 for the whole game because I loved the weight and puck feel, but man it just torques on shots. Kept missing the net from an angle again, whereas the Nexus 600 in warmups was right on target. But the weight. Ugh.

I will have to find a way to invest in a good, light stick that doesn't torque on me for next year. My Miken might fit the bill, but that P14 is hit or miss for me. I'd like something that doesn't open up and curve so drastically. May still try out a P88, might stick with P92, dunno.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
TieClark

The Nexus 1000 with a Kane curve really has my eye... I can't justify spending any money on sticks though when I have a perfectly good N12 and AI9

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Islander102

I swear by my original version U+CL Steen. I bought up as many as I could when I found out that that curve was being discontinued. Will be a sad day when my last one breaks.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
My Warrior Starskie just started to break after 2.5 years of solid use. I am moving on to a Bauer Supreme One.6 tonight.

03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
NYRSinceBirth

My Smyth finally died on me (taking a shot while being hacked) so I picked up an 11K on clearance. Got an 85 flex Phaneuf which I cut down about 6". Haven't used it yet, but damn is it light. I'm really looking forward to using this twig.

Edit: Hockey Monkey in Woodbridge had a TotalOne P91a on discount (77 flex) that I almost grabbed, but I never had a Reebok and wanted to try it out.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i'm in love with easton SE6 int sticks.

I can't seem to find anymore of them though.

I've got 3 but they're worn out.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I love my Total one P92, it's been such an upgrade coming from a Reebok 8.08. I want to try an APX though, I feel like it would suit my better, I got the TO because I stole it for less than 100 bucks! I want to nab an APX in the offseason hopefully for a better price.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
wingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
I love my Total one P92, it's been such an upgrade coming from a Reebok 8.08. I want to try an APX though, I feel like it would suit my better, I got the TO because I stole it for less than 100 bucks! I want to nab an APX in the offseason hopefully for a better price.
My guess is we'll start seeing prices come down on last year's models in a little over a month. I grabbed a Nexus 1000 at full price and would love another, but I'm more than content waiting until they drop from $250. I'll probably snag a TotalOne NXG as well.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I never saw the X:60's drop much.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
wingfan

Quote:
I never saw the X:60's drop much.
About a month or two after the NXG came out, last year's total one's could be had at my hockey shop(Perani's) for $180, another month they were down to $140-$150. I picked up an S19 last year at the end of April for $159.99.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah that's the thing, I saw TO's drop but not the X:60's. Seems like they more sold out than were cleared out.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
NYRSinceBirth

The 11K is fantastic. Lots of pop, great feel, very comfortable. Durability seems it will be an issue though (chipping wise). I tape like half the blade or less, so I might revert back to taping the full blade.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:16 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Quote:
Yeah that's the thing, I saw TO's drop but not the X:60's. Seems like they more sold out than were cleared out.
Yep. You got it, Total One's were/are everywhere. (Got mine for 100$!) but, never saw an X60 clearance. I would expect similar things with the APX unfortunately.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I work in a hockey store and am mainly a sticks guy so I have a solid opinion on what I like and don't like.

First I'll start with the stick I actually use outside of the store, which is the CCM RBZ. It's an 85 flex, Landeskog curve. I love this stick. The custom kickpoint isn't even noticeable to me but the blade is what I love the most. The speed channels I do notice, as I feel there's more pop off the blade. I also love that it's a white blade. Totally feel different handling the puck because of it. It's all a mental thing but I just like how it looks with the ice.

Now, I've used basically every stick in our store testing them out so I will list the one's I like, and don't like. Then I will comment on the one's I feel like commenting on..

LOVE: Mako 2
LIKE: NXG, T100, 20K, DT1, RS's
DISLIKE: APX, NEXUS 1000, MAKO (original)

The Mako 2... unbelievable stick IMO. The stick has such a great all around feel. Balance, weight, blade, shaft, kickpoint, everything.. The kick in this stick is great and the sandpapery blade gives a great feel for stickhandling.

NXG... It's the lightest stick on the market and man can you tell. I have an RBZ but once in a while switch with my buddy at the ODR who has an NXG and it's a weird feeling. One thing I'd like to share about this stick is I think the Total One (which I had last year) felt better in my hands then the NXG, which is why I didn't buy it.

T100... For the price of this stick it's awesome. Probably the nicest looking stick also IMO.

Nexus 1000... I'm sorry, I just don't see anything special about this stick. I can get everything in this stick that Sherwood puts out for a cheaper price. Not to mention it's boring.. all black.. meh.

APX.. I don't know if it's right for me to put it in the dislike category cause it's not bad, but it's just not something I would buy.

What's next? Depending on how I feel about new sticks coming out for next season.. the Mako 2 no doubt.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
AIREAYE

Sounds like something a PHL guy would say :p

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:35 AM
apx

Right now I use the CCM RBZ 85 flex Nugent-Hopkins curve. Not only is the stick aesthetically pleasing, but it also performs amazing. You feel the puck so well, and the constant flex profile allows you the have the best possible shot no matter where your hands are on the stick. The blade has the nicest feel in the world, so much pop. Only thing I can see being furthered with this stick, would be the lower shaft/blade. It's not a performance issue, it's just the aesthetics. It chips, and marks up so easily (What do you expect from a white stick, haha). Aside from that, it is literally the PERFECT stick.

I can't see myself moving on from the RBZ line. Prior to my RBZ I used; TotalOne, X60, S19, se16, etc... None of which in my opinion even compare.

apx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Sounds like something a PHL guy would say :p
Indeed.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Bob Essensa Fan

Picked this up a day ago, my buddy snagged it for me. Used in one game, two slight scuffs on the shaft, nothing major at all.

Havn't used the NXG yet, but I am looking forward to it. I will probably use it today.

Have been using a M. Gernat Oilkings Total One for awhile, same curve as this NXG. It's not bad all. Something to get used to although, since before than I used a Total One shaft with a Warrior 'Burrows' pattern dynasty blade plugged into it.

On my super awesome quilt as well.

Last edited by Bob Essensa Fan: 03-25-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Bob Essensa Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
wreckless

Update:

Bought the bauer one.9 three months ago and it is everything I hopped it would be - a true one95 clone.

I've used an apx, two t1s, and one t1 nxg over the last 2 years and I would take the one.9 hands down over all three.

If you liked the soft blade-feel of the one95, try this stick out.

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
TheeNorthStar

Wow! Good to know... i was always curious to know if ppl felt it was really similar to the one95

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:47 PM
RedWinger10

I ONLY shoot Warrior now and plan to stick with it. as I play defense I don't use much of a curve or a wicked lie. I prefer a mild curve and very little-no lie from heel to toe. i prefer a rounded toe. I am currently shooting a Savard curve (it's like the P88 Curve only straighter). Growing up I used the Coffee curve extensively but as I got biger and took harder shots I found that my shots either went left or right and never on target.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Has anyone used the Mako 2 yet? Although the stick is ugly as hell, I absolutely love Easton sticks. Curious to how the performance is.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote