Notices

Is this our time to take the next step?

Old
03-21-2013, 01:39 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Is this our time to take the next step?

Over the last week I have heard interviews with Ladd, Wheeler, Bogosian to name just three and something has changed that goes beyond the vibe and feel of a team riding a hot streak IMO.

Last year and even earlier this season there did not seem to be an inner team confidence and this is hard to explain so stick with me. In the past in interviews I would often detect frustration about collective buy in and a lack of team confidence. Now I can hear a big difference and it seems to reflect that the team has finally all bought in and believe in the system. I keep hearing the guys speak with confidence about playing their game and nothing else matter and mentioning that everyone is buying in now and it feels authentic when they say it not just cheesy hockey sound bite cliches? I also heard Bogosian mention this is his 5th year in the league and he is fed up with missing the playoffs and he didn't say it in a defeatist way at all, he said it in a way that indicated things were going to be different this year. Then Hainsey mentioning last weeks Toronto and Ranger games were the best he has seen this team play since he has been with the organization....etc.....etc

Has anyone else noticed this pattern?

So is this just a hot streak driven by our goalie that could come to an end at any moment (Jan 2012), or has this group of players started to turn a corner? Are the young guys beginning the maturation process where they now legitimately believe in each other , buy in, and are tough enough to absorb a loss here and there without crumbling?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by ps241: 03-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Huffer

I agree with everything you wrote in your post. Definitley seems to be a different air of confidence surrounding the team.

The only thing I disagree with is the title. I don't see this as "our time", which is why I don't want to see Cheveldayoff make any moves to move future assets for rentals. It's like we say we have a plan, and then at the very first sight of the playoffs decide to abandon it and go for a quick fix.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with everything you wrote in your post. Definitley seems to be a different air of confidence surrounding the team.

The only thing I disagree with is the title. I don't see this as "our time", which is why I don't want to see Cheveldayoff make any moves to move future assets for rentals. It's like we say we have a plan, and then at the very first sight of the playoffs decide to abandon it and go for a quick fix.
Good call perhaps I should add "is this our time to take the next step"? I didn't mean to imply win it all but the title might make it look that way

edit: ok good suggestion Huff

Old
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Good call perhaps I should add "is this our time to take the next step"? I didn't mean to imply win it all but the title might make it look that way

edit: ok good suggestion Huff
No worries. It just seemed like sometimes in trade discussions there would be proposals to deal away assets on older vets and or rentals as if the Jets needed to start cashing in some chips at the very first sign of the playoffs. That seems like a very Maple Leaf thing to do.

I do agree with your premise of, "is it our time to take the next step". I think that is also a few people's idea as well in their defense of not dealing away our UFA's. Besides Ladd and Buff, we have next to no playoff experience. Everyone knows that the playoffs are a different beast, but it will do this group a huge amount of good to actually experience that. So that they can come back in subsequent years that much more prepared, hungry, and ready for the reality of the playoffs.

Plus, it may not mean much in actuality, but I think the first time the Jets players play at home during the playoffs it will be a shock. We're pretty loud right now, but the playoffs will be a different experience all together. They will have to learn how to channel that emotion properly.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

I don't think it's our time in terms of "win now", but in terms of the Era of playoff jets teams that will hopefully last a long time, and will hopefully see some of our young future stars through most of their careers here, I think It might be about to begin.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Tough call. As you pointed out, Jan 2012. At this point last season we had 32 points vs the 34 points we currently have. I'm not convinced yet. If we keep it up for the next 2 weeks then I'll start believing this is a different team.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
I agree completely, however I'm going to continue to have low expectations so that I can continue to be pleasantly surprised.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
sully1410

This is where it begins in my opinion. Obviously you don't go full...you know...and sell the farm and start signing the big time free agents for the big money and trading away our first round picks and all that, but this is where you start making the small moves to ensure that your are confident in your roster moving in and you have enough depth to not get overwhelmed in the playoffs.

Then fix the obvious problems that off season.

Right now is when they need to see to the PP. Make it effective and make sure that they have several power play "plays", setups whatever in their bag of tricks. I think you need to assume whatever match up we end up getting with go to 7 games, and thats a lot of games to play against the same opponent. They're going to figure your team out.

This is one thing I like about Noel...I think he's creative and has no problem changing the plan of attack on the fly and adapting to other teams. You see it a lot. Hell, it has happened to Vancouver almost every year!

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
SensibleGuy

I agree with the thought that theres been a different vibe in interviews with The jets players recently. Its like they've collectively started to believe they can get it done (get in the playoffs). Definitely something I've sensed...

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
meedle

I think we took the next step. Look at this past week in games in the NHL. The oilers had a chance to move into 8th with a win, they led early in the 3rd 3-1 and lost in OT 4-3. The Isles were 1 point behind everyone and were up on the sens 3-1 entering the 3rd and they lose 5-3. The jets had big games in the last little while against the leafs 2x, the rangers and the bruins. They found a way to win in the 2nd toronto game after being up 4-1 and lost the lead. And also won after being down to boston 1-0. I think they have turned the corner but still alot of hockey to be played. But them winning games against opponents when a lose puts them below the line or above the line is promising.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
To me the confidence comes from winning and the winning comes from the goalie.

If Pav falters I am not sure the team will have much control over the fallout.

How do I think things will things go down the stretch?

a) Pav will stay hot and take than next step towards consistency.
b) Pav will falter and the team won't be able to overcome the inevitable shooting % regression of Ladd and Wheeler. This will once again highlight the team's lack of depth.

In scenario a) the team will make the playoffs. In scenario b) they don't.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Over the last week I have heard interviews with Ladd, Wheeler, Bogosian to name just three and something has changed that goes beyond the vibe and feel of a team riding a hot streak IMO.

Last year and even earlier this season there did not seem to be an inner team confidence and this is hard to explain so stick with me. In the past in interviews I would often detect frustration about collective buy in and a lack of team confidence. Now I can hear a big difference and it seems to reflect that the team has finally all bought in and believe in the system. I keep hearing the guys speak with confidence about playing their game and nothing else matter and mentioning that everyone is buying in now and it feels authentic when they say it not just cheesy hockey sound bite cliches? I also heard Bogosian mention this is his 5th year in the league and he is fed up with missing the playoffs and he didn't say it in a defeatist way at all, he said it in a way that indicated things were going to be different this year. Then Hainsey mentioning last weeks Toronto and Ranger games were the best he has seen this team play since he has been with the organization....etc.....etc

Has anyone else noticed this pattern?
I think this is a great post ps241, well done. It is a subject I've also given some consideration of late. In my own view the most important move this organization made in the off-season is something that never gets mentioned here and that was when they hired sports psychologist John Phelan. I believe his title with the team is something along the lines of Mental Skills Coach. Here is his bio...

http://business.queensu.ca/faculty_a...st/jphelan.php

You can clearly see they've done a ton of psych work with these guys on the team now. The message they convey is near always uniform in nature and is always related to staying on the path, staying on task, sticking to the plan, and being personally accountable for team success. They've bought in because they've been led there by an expert. Here is another example from today...
Quote:
"I can have a lot of success using my speed and chipping the puck in and getting it deep and then going in on the forecheck. Even if we lose the puck, they still have to go 200 feet," said Wheeler. "Would I like to have the puck on my stick and go end to end? Maybe. But that's not going to result in success and we're trying to win games. Staying on the task is the right way of doing things. There's a right way and a wrong way. There's no grey area. It's a mindset we've adopted here and that's what Claude is trying to ge across. Now when you come to the bench, it's a mix of both the players and the coach holding you accountable. The room has determined we're going to play a certain way and you have to buy in."

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Personally, I have thrown all caution to the wind and I believe the Jets can get this done. There is something different about the team in the last three weeks. They didn't seem all round shouldered and depressed after the Ottawa game, and even thought the Bruins controlled 45 minutes of Tuesday's game, the Jets needed all of 8 minutes to tie, pot the winner, and seal the victory with an empty netter.

I don't recall a game like that from last year. Nor do I remember ever feeling the same as I did in the third period of the Rangers game. The Rags were pressing, trying to penetrate the zone and were repelled time and time again, and even when they did finally muster a successful rush into the Jets zone, the entire team calmly and carefully dumped the puck out, only to repeat the same actions on the next shift.

That's the game that changed my perception of this year's Jets. Not once in that third period was I nervous; I knew they were going to deny the Rangers any decent chances and they were going to stay calm and not panic. Since that game, they have emanated a different, more upbeat and dangerous confidence.

I already half believe they can run away with the division if they get two or three wins in the next three games.

Count me on the positive side of the ledger.

Keep the faith.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I think this is a great post ps241, well done. It is a subject I've also given some consideration of late. In my own view the most important move this organization made in the off-season is something that never gets mentioned here and that was when they hired sports psychologist John Phelan. I believe his title with the team is something along the lines of Mental Skills Coach. Here is his bio...

http://business.queensu.ca/faculty_a...st/jphelan.php

You can clearly see they've done a ton of psych work with these guys on the team now. The message they convey is near always uniform in nature and is always related to staying on the path, staying on task, sticking to the plan, and being personally accountable for team success. They've bought in because they've been led there by an expert. Here is another example from today...
Great point on John Phelan I didn't even factor that in!

Yea good pick up on Wheels quote as well that is exactly what I am talking about and it's not just Blake they are all signing from the same song sheet now. It's like the team has had a collective ah ha moment together and they firmly and finally believe success will follow them if they stick to the plan and play their roll.

Even an action like Bogosian coming in from the blue line to stick up for Kane on a surgically repaired wrist.....on so many levels that was an example of team first. Kane can defend himself but chose to pass and Bogo didn't hesitate to fill the void.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
SensibleGuy

Lets face it, most every player in the NHL has been on winning teams at some point in their hockey career whether its in junior or international or whatever. They've all got a ton of experience. I think they can sense when a team is working well and I think perhaps a lot of guys on the Jets are getting that feeling now about this team. I think they are starting to feel like its OK to get a little excited now...

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

b) Pav will falter and the team won't be able to overcome the inevitable shooting % regression of Ladd and Wheeler. This will once again highlight the team's lack of depth.

Very fair and sober post. I am hoping that the shotting % regression of Wheels and Ladd will be somewhat offset by a normalization of Jokinen's scoring rates. At some point I am expecting (well hoping) for Ollie to carry the team scoring wise over a hot stretch of a few games. If it even adds 2 wins between now and the end of the season it could be the difference.

My hopes are that Pavs doesn't cool off and by that i mean he stays above .900 from mow until the end of the season and doesn't have that terrible stretch and if he does Monty picks it up enough to keep us in the Hunt.

They key is we just need to avoid a losing streak And I think the guys are getting the scent now.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Game 7 for the Caps....lose tonight and they are all but done!

This is a perfect measuring stick and opportunity for the Jets to prove they have what it takes to win a playoff type game against a very desperate team.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
gholas

Then we can sweep that pesky FLA measuring stick under the rug for good.

gholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
gholas

ooops, where's dat stick again?

gholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:44 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Looks like the Jets chose scenario B. Still time to pull out of it, but not much.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:12 AM
StronGeer
Butterfele

Quote:
Looks like the Jets chose scenario B. Still time to pull out of it, but not much.
It's fine and dandy when regression happens to the Leafs. Less so for the Jets

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Huffer

It looks like the team tried to take that step, lost their footing, broke their ankle, and then smashed their face on the ground.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
DominikPavelec

vCash: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
It looks like the team tried to take that step, lost their footing, broke their ankle, and then smashed their face on the ground.
While simultaneously rolling to the edge of a grave.

DominikPavelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
It's fine and dandy when regression happens to the Leafs. Less so for the Jets
Difference here is that the Leafs would continue to regress across a full season.

While the Jets would likely trend upward a little more.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
jetsfan8

Quote:
Difference here is that the Leafs would continue to regress across a full season.

While the Jets would likely trend upward a little more.
pffft, well im not seeing it

jetsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote