HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Old
03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Hey guys,

Just want to get your opinions on how the Senators should handle Sergei Gonchar. Now while this season, in all liklihood, will not be our year for the cup a question remains on what pieces we should retain moving foward into the 2013-2014 season. In my opinion, if the majority of the team is health, we are not too far away from making a serious cup run contingent on another top center and a top six winger.

Now Gonchar has been a real blessing for the past two years, creating a versitile back end which has been a strength for the Senators organization. He has an expiring contract at 5.5 million dollars coming up though, so the question remains on what the organization should do with him.

In the past Murray has not been afraid to sign players to extensions in season (Craig Anderson) so I was curious if the Sens will risk leaving extension talk until post-season or if they will let Gonchar play the season out(and potentially lose him post-playoffs).

Another real question becomes the term and the money, I am sure a team like Pittsburgh would pony up better dollars than we could provide at this point.

Feel free to chime in guys

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
I think it is going to come down to whether or not Gonchar WANTS to stay here honestly. After getting boo'd at last year's home opener and the way most fans have treated him during his first two seasons where he was not playing great, myself included, I could see him choosing to walk in the summer.

For whatever reason if he is open to staying then I can't see the Senators paying him 5mil again. If he is willing to return somewhere in the four million range for a year or two I'm sure Murray/Melnyk would be fine with him coming back.

Last edited by Yokai: 03-21-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

It may depend on Gonchar, if he wants a two yr deal than I don't think I would do that. But if he would settle for a one yr deal then I would consider it at a reduced salary. I expect that it will take anywhere from half a season to a yr for Ceci to be NHL ready & assume that 2nd pairing right side spot. Unless there is a trade made for a defenceman who can assume that position I think that it's Ceci spot whenever he is ready to take it & he seems like he is getting close now.

Next yr Cowen & Karlsson should be ready to assume their top 4 positions, Methot will likely play with Karlsson again. Wiercioch & Gryba could be permanent players in Ottawa & Phillips will still have another yr on his contract. Now Murray could decide to also keep Boroweicki in Ottawa & not re-sign Gonchar but Gonchar is playing so well right now that he may be forced into keeping him. It's almost like the Kuba debate last yr except that Gonchar has been much more effective in producing points than Kuba. My guess is Murray signs Gonchar for one yr or Gonchar walks because someone else has offered him two yrs or more just like Kuba.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
DG

I'd happily take him back if he wants to stay.

I'd do 1 year 4.5 million or something like 2 years 7 million (obviously highly preferring one year).

It's a bit high, especially the second year, but I think he's worth it.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
IDK if he even has a spot

Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, and Phillips are all locks. Weir and Gryba have played great, and it may be best for their development to keep playing in the NHL. Unless one of them plays a 7th defensemen roll, then that is the 6 roster spots.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

One more year at exactly what he's making now.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
IDK if he even has a spot

Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, and Phillips are all locks. Weir and Gryba have played great, and it may be best for their development to keep playing in the NHL. Unless one of them plays a 7th defensemen roll, then that is the 6 roster spots.
Gonchar is most definite a lock, he is a lock on any team. Now Cowen on the other hand, when he injured his knee in Junior it took two years before he was 100%. I would not be shocked if he logged some AHL time this year.

And we need healthy defenceman down the strech, no doubt about it. If we need 7 spots, that would be fine

Old
SenzZen
Unholy Masquerade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I'd happily take him back if he wants to stay.

I'd do 1 year 4.5 million or something like 2 years 7 million (obviously highly preferring one year).

It's a bit high, especially the second year, but I think he's worth it.
This falls in line with what I'm thinking.

And I don't see how he'd get more money from PIT.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It may depend on Gonchar, if he wants a two yr deal than I don't think I would do that. But if he would settle for a one yr deal then I would consider it at a reduced salary. I expect that it will take anywhere from half a season to a yr for Ceci to be NHL ready & assume that 2nd pairing right side spot. Unless there is a trade made for a defenceman who can assume that position I think that it's Ceci spot whenever he is ready to take it & he seems like he is getting close now.

Next yr Cowen & Karlsson should be ready to assume their top 4 positions, Methot will likely play with Karlsson again. Wiercioch & Gryba could be permanent players in Ottawa & Phillips will still have another yr on his contract. Now Murray could decide to also keep Boroweicki in Ottawa & not re-sign Gonchar but Gonchar is playing so well right now that he may be forced into keeping him. It's almost like the Kuba debate last yr except that Gonchar has been much more effective in producing points than Kuba. My guess is Murray signs Gonchar for one yr or Gonchar walks because someone else has offered him two yrs or more just like Kuba.
Ceci is still playing in the OHL...is he not? There is no way that a kid steals a spot from any of Ottawa's defense right now. He's going to have to battle his way in and it won't be "half a season".

If Gonchar keeps up this level of play or close to it for the rest of the season I would not be against signing him for a 2 year contract. You guys need to remember that Cowen and Karlsson won't be returning as the stellar players they used to be. Severe injuries like their's take a year to fully get over. Don't expect either Cowen or Karlsson to have good seasons next year. I expect both will be struggling for most the season.

We also can't overlook the intangibles that Gonchar brings to the game, experience and guidance. I believe he's a big part of the reason that Karlsson was able to dominate so quickly. It's invaluable having a seasoned veteran like Gonchar to develop the younger players.

I also don't agree that a team like Pittsburgh can offer him more money that we can. They have a ton of money tied up in a few key players. We have all the cap space in the world.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
One more year at exactly what he's making now.
I honestly believe he walks with that offer, I assume it will take two years to facilitate any deal

Old
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

No puzzle. We keep him. Done.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
This falls in line with what I'm thinking.

And I don't see how he'd get more money from PIT.
Defenceman are a premium right now, I just forsee the Penguins doing a two year ten million dollar range deal. Pure speculation on my part

Old
03-21-2013, 04:04 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Pittsburgh cannot offer Gonchar a 2 year contract if its anything over 4M per. July 2015 - Malkin, Kunitz, Letang and Orpik are ALL UFAs. Signing that deal likely means they'd lose one or more of those guys to free agency. Also Niskanen, and Sutter is RFA. Makes NO sense and they have Despres, Morrow, Dumoulin, Pouliot and Maata in the system.

Look for them to be investing in a winger. Specifically, a captain of a western Canadian team.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Romans12_12

I hate to be cliche - but to answer the OP's question if we should bring Gonch back.....

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 03-22-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Fixed YT
Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I hate to be cliche - but to answer the OP's question if we should bring Gonch back
And why should we not?

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
source

1-year deal. Very few players that age deserve multi-year contracts.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
1-year deal. Very few players that age deserve multi-year contracts.
Exactly & people forget that he has also had some crap seasons here & why he was booed. Yes, he is playing well this season luckily for Ottawa with all their injuries but it doesn't mean he will continue to play this well especially at that age. One yr is the way I would go because that could be how long it takes for Ceci to be NHL ready. Ottawa could have 7 or 8 defencemen next season who can play in the NHL in some capacity or depending on the defenceman with limited minutes.

While Karlsson & Cowen may not be at the same level we expect, I assume that Wiercioch & Gryba will be even better & there is still Boroweicki that is close as well. Ottawa could re-sign Benoit to another two way contract & have him around as insurance & there is also Sdao an older rookie who it's possible could also see some action in Ottawa next season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
Depends on how Wiercioch finishes off the season. If Murray think Wier is a top-4 for next season than let Gonchar walk. Other wise 1 year at 4-5mil, nothing more, nothing longer.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I'd offer him:

1 year @ $5 000 000
2 years @ $4 000 000

If none of those appeal to him, let him walk.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Exactly & people forget that he has also had some crap seasons here & why he was booed.
He was booed here because of ignorance, not his play. Has he under achieved in relation to salary at times? Yes, but that's free agency. You'd be hard pressed to find a dozen guys who signed on July 1st who meet expectations. He's been a top 4 guy for us his entire time here and been invaluable mentoring, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch etc. Its not as if his 5.5M cap hit kept us under cap stress to the point where we're losing better players. We've had tons of space to work with and a lack of decent D. It was a good signing then and it still is now.

Kovalev was the same thing. He was signed to be a top 6 forward, he was that and the Brennans and 100 section entitled fans were still mad. You just have to accept that there are a lot of stupid people in this world.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He was booed here because of ignorance, not his play. Has he under achieved in relation to salary at times? Yes, but that's free agency. You'd be hard pressed to find a dozen guys who signed on July 1st who meet expectations. He's been a top 4 guy for us his entire time here and been invaluable mentoring, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch etc. Its not as if his 5.5M cap hit kept us under cap stress to the point where we're losing better players. We've had tons of space to work with and a lack of decent D. It was a good signing then and it still is now.

Kovalev was the same thing. He was signed to be a top 6 forward, he was that and the Brennans and 100 section entitled fans were still mad. You just have to accept that there are a lot of stupid people in this world.
He was most certainly boo'd for his play. The booing on opening night was in response to his terrible defensive play during the first game of the season against the Detroit Red Wings a few nights before hand. He basically just gave up and let the guy go in to score.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
H2O

Someone is going to give him 2 years, he's earned it. I would not be opposed to having him back for 2 years, but I prefer 1.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
He was most certainly boo'd for his play. The booing on opening night was in response to his terrible defensive play during the first game of the season against the Detroit Red Wings a few nights before hand. He basically just gave up and let the guy go in to score.
Which doesn't warrant booing.

Booing is something I can proudly say I've never done to one of our players, and never will. That was probably the most embarrassing moment as a Sens fan for me. If people want to boo our own players, there's plenty of Habs and Leafs fans who LOVE doing that!

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Which doesn't warrant booing.

Booing is something I can proudly say I've never done to one of our players, and never will. That was probably the most embarrassing moment as a Sens fan for me. If people want to boo our own players, there's plenty of Habs and Leafs fans who LOVE doing that!
This. No one deserves to be booed by their home crowd. Classless.

I guess we better get ready for the Lundin and Gryba boofest tonight! 1 game is all it takes afterall!

Old
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

I would offer him nothing. This is a last hurrah for the guy, we have wiercioch. He will never live up to these contracts

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote