HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Speculation/Be a GM Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Cmox

vCash: 500
Good idea on starting this thread. The rumor thread had more NHL Be A GM trades than rumors. "What do you think I was born yesterday?" E reputation.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Clowe, Ott, and Morrow......need.......MOAR......jam!

Old
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Different strokes I guess.

My point is that Boyle isn't going to be around very much longer. Unless all the other flaws (lack of 1C who plays like a 1C, lack of any sort of offensive talent in the bottom 6) can be fixed to a degree by the time this regular season ends, I wouldn't depend on someone so old to address the D problem, which is, IMO, the smallest of this team's issues.
I agree with this. Brad Richards is the #1 issue on this team, followed by a dreadful 3rd line. Pyatt and Boyle are the main culprits here, but having a raw rookie finding his way doesn't help. They'd be fine as 4th liners, but no team with as many big contracts as NYR can afford to have guys making $1.75 mill. down there in a cap world.

Dan Boyle is still a top 4 D in NHL. However, this team's D at even strength can live without him once Staal is healthy and this team has much more pressing issues. In theory, most of his value would come in reviving the PP.
I'm beginning to have doubts though, any collection of players can be super successful on the PP with this coaching staff. Didn't Torts admit they don't run real set-ups 5 on 4, just tell players to move their feet and be creative? That's no way to have a successful PP in the current NHL regardless of Boyle's big shot from the point.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Since Boyle joined the Sharks in 2008-09, their PP rankings:

2009 - 3rd
2010 - 4th
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 2nd
2013 - 13th

Power plays dont necessarily win you Cups, but they sure can help.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Definitely interested in Ott. Fans here want that grit and agitation? He's the man for it.

Guy is great on the FO too.
that is also a need at the deadline, doubt he gets traded though. i bet Sather goes after Torres. his usual Yotes trade might end up like this.

Rangers trade Boyle and Gilroy to Yotes
Yotes trade Torres and Lane to Rangers

Rangers trade Stu Bickel,Thomas Spelling, Ryan Bourque 3rd (FLA)
Oilers trade Smid and Magnus Paajarvi

Old
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would hope they could pry someone like Kyle Clifford from LA as well. Leave the pick out.

Williams + Clifford + Forbort for Gaborik
The Kings wouldn't be motivated in making such a move. It takes depth away from a lineup (#7 in NHL scoring) for a player with a big cap hit that is talented, but struggling offensively.

Further problematic is that his playing style clashes with what Darryl Sutter demands from his forwards. He has pretty much made it clear that if you're not scoring you have to bring something else to the table to contribute to the team's overall success, and I'm not convinced that Marian Gaborik does that on a consistent basis from what some of your fellow fans have been posting.

As an example, he sat a player that many would consider to be more talented in Simon Gagne for multiple games (leading to his trade) in favor of Dustin Penner because he brought more size and was willing to grind, mash, and play a heavy board game despite struggling to score as well.

I get the feeling that a flashy offensive player like Gaborik wouldn't mesh well with the team identity. If he chafed under the heavy hand of Jacques Lemaire then he wouldn't be any happier playing under Darryl Sutter, and the last thing the team needs is an unhappy player to contend with when you're asking for multiple players off of the NHL roster in return.

I don't think it's a good match at all between the two teams if you're looking to move Marian Gaborik.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

one player that i want but who is hurt is Steve Downie.. any chance the Avs move him???

Old
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Boyle shoots the puck.

Rangers d-men have been pathetic under both Renney and Torts at shooting the puck.

They havent had a d-man eclipse the 200-shot mark since Leetch in 2002. The closest was Redden with about 170 in 2009.

Every Cup champ since the lockout minus Carolina had d-men who hammered the puck.

Doughty
Chara
Keith/Seabrook
Letang/Gonchar
Lidstrom
Nieds/Pronger

Look at all those Norris Trophies.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Since Boyle joined the Sharks in 2008-09, their PP rankings:

2009 - 3rd
2010 - 4th
2011 - 2nd
2012 - 2nd
2013 - 13th

Power plays dont necessarily win you Cups, but they sure can help.
Dan Boyle is still great on the PP. Not in dispute. Good player ES too. You need a coaching staff though that devotes plenty of practice time to it to maximize his assets. Doesn't sound like they do based on Torts' statements to the media.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Lundsanity30

Boyle to the Rangers wont happen. Sharks are wanting young forwards (IE, Kreider, hagelin, Miller) in return for him.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Boyle to the Rangers wont happen. Sharks are wanting young forwards (IE, Kreider, hagelin, Miller) in return for him.
Link?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Link?
I don't have a link. just going on what all the Sharks fans say. They believe sharks would only move boyle to help them recoup assets who are young.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Boyle is not having the kind of season that justifies anything along the lines of the Rangers' best young players, plus his stats have declined in the last four seasons.

Money would have to go the other way. Who would it be? Gaborik? Richards? Callahan?

To me, you acquire Boyle if you can keep Gaborik. But it's financially impossible to keep the team intact and just add Boyle's salary. And he's got another year left.

Wishful thinking, IMO. I'd rather keep Gaborik than trade him straight up for Boyle.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Ott would be great, but at what cost? Buff just gave him a 3 year contract last summer and he's one of the few up there who's played up to expectations. He's the kind of player the Sabres have looked for a long time. I feel like the cost would be prohibitive. They're likely to demand serious overpayment. One of Kreider / Miller or at the very least a 2014 1st + someone like Fasth / Lindberg. Too steep for a great complimentary player for my taste but they got a 1st for freakin' Gaustad last year who was a UFA to be too and there are just as few if not less sellers this year.
I agree those prices are too high. Maybe an alternate package of secondary assets? Something like Fogarty McColgan and a pick? Maybe Fogarty McColgan and two 3s for Ott and two 4s?

Old
03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Make it six 4ths and its a deal.
Disagree, the value is not there.
How about 1 2013 3th, 1 2014 4th, 1 2015 5th and 1 2016 6th. Rhymes too.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:45 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
I agree with this. Brad Richards is the #1 issue on this team, followed by a dreadful 3rd line. Pyatt and Boyle are the main culprits here, but having a raw rookie finding his way doesn't help. They'd be fine as 4th liners, but no team with as many big contracts as NYR can afford to have guys making $1.75 mill. down there in a cap world.

Dan Boyle is still a top 4 D in NHL. However, this team's D at even strength can live without him once Staal is healthy and this team has much more pressing issues. In theory, most of his value would come in reviving the PP.
I'm beginning to have doubts though, any collection of players can be super successful on the PP with this coaching staff. Didn't Torts admit they don't run real set-ups 5 on 4, just tell players to move their feet and be creative? That's no way to have a successful PP in the current NHL regardless of Boyle's big shot from the point.
Too busy with real world stuff but if anybody wants to run with this idea AND DO IT PROPER IN A SEPARATE THREAD, by all means.

In the same way as there was consideration to get Redden and a few others moved up so we could apply that cap benefit and get roster flexibility sooner than later, and for whatever reason we could get the NHL and NHLPA to see eye to eye on that, my suggestion is a petition to both those parties in the CBA and see if we can't get one facet of it reversed.

The part about how certain players, because of when they were signed, are subject to severe cap recapture.

That is relevant to mention here (w/separate follow up on its own thread) because if that impediment is removed, presumably in the best interests of flexibility to both players and clubs, we could trade Richards almost immediately.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Too busy with real world stuff but if anybody wants to run with this idea AND DO IT PROPER IN A SEPARATE THREAD, by all means.

In the same way as there was consideration to get Redden and a few others moved up so we could apply that cap benefit and get roster flexibility sooner than later, and for whatever reason we could get the NHL and NHLPA to see eye to eye on that, my suggestion is a petition to both those parties in the CBA and see if we can't get one facet of it reversed.

The part about how certain players, because of when they were signed, are subject to severe cap recapture.

That is relevant to mention here (w/separate follow up on its own thread) because if that impediment is removed, presumably in the best interests of flexibility to both players and clubs, we could trade Richards almost immediately.
No chance of that happening. The cap-benefit recapture would reflect the Rangers kept their cap hit superficially low. The league fought long and hard to put it in the CBA. The Redden and Gomez situations affected no one negatively.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
haha, I keep coming back to this but players I see as Rangers after the deadline:
Clowe
Hainsey
and now Ott
Ott is fantastic but I doubt he moves

Old
03-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
This is not an OT Thread. This is trade speculation.

03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
No chance of that happening. The cap-benefit recapture would reflect the Rangers kept their cap hit superficially low. The league fought long and hard to put it in the CBA. The Redden and Gomez situations affected no one negatively.
You're right.
On the other hand, if the league wanted to be nice then it could say wink, wink, that this is an effective policy, but we are exempting this Richards contract because it was grandfathered prior to the current CBA.

Of course, the NHL may not want to do that for free, or just to be nice, or even to consider the plight of Brad Richards, who needs a change of scenery. If so, they would have a price, and that price may be exorbitant or not, may or may not be something that can be negotiated with the NHLPA.

But the worst they can do is say no.
Of course if they do, then they risk our comeback:

Old
03-21-2013, 07:04 PM
bernmeister

Back to trade speculation:
Tanner Pearson, Alec Martinez + for Gaborik, assuming Sens do not overpay.

Are the Kings the best for Gabby, and what is the best counter we can reasonably extract? Cap doesn't have to line up exactly, but if cap relief is big enough it is material consideration of deal, clarify it is so. Or just put out main pieces and add, additional assets for cap balance.

Their former #1 pick LW would be interesting as a Blueshirt.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
I agree those prices are too high. Maybe an alternate package of secondary assets? Something like Fogarty McColgan and a pick? Maybe Fogarty McColgan and two 3s for Ott and two 4s?
What's Buffalo's incentive? He's signed for 2 more years unlike Gaustad last year, playing up to expectations, not a cap issue, the owner has money. Why does Buffalo move Ott unless it's a severe overpayment?

Old
03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Back to trade speculation:
Tanner Pearson, Alec Martinez + for Gaborik, assuming Sens do not overpay.

Are the Kings the best for Gabby, and what is the best counter we can reasonably extract? Cap doesn't have to line up exactly, but if cap relief is big enough it is material consideration of deal, clarify it is so. Or just put out main pieces and add, additional assets for cap balance.

Their former #1 pick LW would be interesting as a Blueshirt.
This is the kind of deal you do at the draft if there are no better offers and you must free up cap space. No reason whatsoever to do it at the deadline unless you're giving up on this season.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Vitto79

Peverley a scracth in Boston.........id take em

Old
03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Lundsanity30

bring in whoever you want. It wont help.. The only thing that would help this franchise is a coaching change.

Closed Thread