HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
blue_n_copper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not positive this is accurate. Yak received 6 shifts in the 3rd period, after having 7shifts in both of the earlier periods. Perhaps he missed one shift then over what his regular rotation in the game was.

I checked, because I remember seeing him out there regularly, even in the 3rd, although numerous people are stating he was benched in 3rd.

In fact Yaks last shift ended with 5:58 left in the game. At which point it was 3-3 anyway. He had regular shifts all through the third prior to that.
Thank you. Now I know I wasn't hallucinating either. Yakupov played in the third and yet we still blew a lead. Maybe, just maybe, playing Yak in the third is not the key to success after all.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
trent_vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEric View Post
I hate how hemsky holds his stick in shootouts he obviously cant shoot the puck with his right hand that high so the goalie knows he is going for a dangle no matter what and that he won't be able to raise it.
nope you're wrong. Hemsky always holds his stick like that and often lets wristers go in that position.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
Thank you. Now I know I wasn't hallucinating either. Yakupov played in the third and yet we still blew a lead. Maybe, just maybe, playing Yak in the third is not the key to success after all.
You're welcome, and I couldn't agree more with your post. I stopped just short of saying that myself.

To Yak or not Yak is not the question. Yakking about coach firing always is the question here.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
Replacing Yakupov with a guy who was on the ice for both the opposition's third period goals is though?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Missed the OT & SO but just to clarify, Yakupov didn't get a single shift in the OT?
That does seem like some bad coaching
He has not seen a second of OT since February 6th.

I did some digging earlier.

Jan 24- OTW- Yakupov with the GWG
Jan 30- OTW- Yakupov with the GWG
Feb 4- OTL- Jagr with the GWG while Yak was on the ice
Feb 6- OTL- Tanev with the GWG while Yak was on the ice

The next four games, Feb 25-March 20...not a single shift in OT. I'd like to see if he was directly responsible for the goals against or if it was just a fluke.

...we have only two OTW, both thanks to Yak and he gets benched in OT.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post

The next four games, Feb 25-March 20...not a single shift in OT. I'd like to see if he was directly responsible for the goals against or if it was just a fluke.

The Jagr goal was that embarrassing display by Whitney and the Tanev goal was when Eberle blew the zone early.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
oilinblood

Quote:

Jagrs goal was Whitney getting owned.
Tanevs goal was actually Eberles fault and if you watch the Oil Change documentarys you will see footage of Smid yelling at an Oiler after the game --it was Eberle. In that OT scenario Yak actually tried to cover 2 guys noticing the issue but eventually had to follow his check which left Tanev wide open.

No fault on Yaks for either of them.

ARGH dnicks beat me because i suck at this typing stuff.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
dnicks17

Jagr goal:

Tanev goal:

Old
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The Jagr goal was that embarrassing display by Whitney and the Tanev goal was when Eberle blew the zone early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Jagrs goal was Whitney getting owned.
Tanevs goal was actually Eberles fault and if you watch the Oil Change documentarys you will see footage of Smid yelling at an Oiler after the game --it was Eberle. In that OT scenario Yak actually tried to cover 2 guys noticing the issue but eventually had to follow his check which left Tanev wide open.

No fault on Yaks for either of them.

ARGH dnicks beat me because i suck at this typing stuff.
Quote:
Jagr goal:

Tanev goal:
Thanks for the quick answers

My question now becomes- why has he been benched in OT if he was not at fault for the two OT GWGA? He gets two winners, is unfortunate enough to be on the ice for the other two and the result is he gets benched? #FireKrueger

Old
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Psychoil

just a thought here. And i agree with most of u guys on the oilers just changing their playing style in the third.

But does anyone think it has more to do with the other team trying much harder to score on us when their down in the third? It just seems like we play the same game alot of the nights and the other team just elevates theres and suddenly it looks like we play on our heals when in reality, we are playing the same game, we just can't adjust to their play.

Either way, coaching is a joke here so far

Psychoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
oilinblood

RIN -- i dont know how to answer you other than the fact that, i may be mistaken on this, but i am pretty sure both Yak OT goals were on the PP? Maybe Kreuger wants to keep him to PP if in OT. I am kind of as stumped as you.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Replacing Yakupov with a guy who was on the ice for both the opposition's third period goals is though?
?

Yakupov only missed the last 5mins of the game. He played his regular shift around the time of the third period goals being scored.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
RIN -- i dont know how to answer you other than the fact that, i may be mistaken on this, but i am pretty sure both Yak OT goals were on the PP? Maybe Kreuger wants to keep him to PP if in OT. I am kind of as stumped as you.
Nope. If we get a PP in OT he puts out RNH, Gagner, Hemsky and Eberle.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
oilinblood

anyone have the footage from Oil Change where Smid loses it and tears an Oiler apart after the Tanev goal OT loss?

Smid== should be captain or alt.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Rin

Quote:
This is a question I'd love to see Krueger have to answer.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Nope. If we get a PP in OT he puts out RNH, Gagner, Hemsky and Eberle.

Ok i was just trying to work from memory and thought both his OT goals were PP markers.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
?

Yakupov only missed the last 5mins of the game. He played his regular shift around the time of the third period goals being scored.
Right when Patrell was put in his spot...

Old
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Ok i was just trying to work from memory and thought both his OT goals were PP markers.
Oh they were but Ralphy likes to change things that work.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
This is a question I'd love to see Krueger have to answer.
The Tanev goal is kind of interesting because Smid has Henrik and Petry has the other Sedin as they go to the net. If everyone could do that play over again I am pretty sure Yaks leaves the low play to Smid and doesnt go as deep to the net in support.

I still think it was Eberle who created the problem and i still believe it is him that Smid rips in the room after the game. I am also pretyy positive Smid is glaring up the ice at Eberle after that goal while Dubnyk is saying something to Yaks (who tried to block the shot)

Because of the Oil Change post-game footage of a ballistic Smid i have often watched this replay to see if maybe it was Yaks who got cooked. I still think the issue is Eberle... Yaks might have come down too low and pprobably should have left that forward to Smid but that is hardly worth being spit on in a verbal tirade. I think Eberle leaving the zone and not supporting the puck battle --which was on his side FFS- is far worse.

Last edited by oilinblood: 03-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answers

My question now becomes- why has he been benched in OT if he was not at fault for the two OT GWGA? He gets two winners, is unfortunate enough to be on the ice for the other two and the result is he gets benched? #FireKrueger
the answer is both simple and frustrating... krueger doesn't know how to run a bench

this is the answer, sadly

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
onetweasy

My thoughts.....

Smyth - Waive him.....he is not even close to an NHL player. I actually cannot stand watching him on the ice - its embarrassing.

Dubby - Average goalie who never makes the "big save" when needed. Will never be elite

Krueger - Please play Yak.......he looked like he was fired up - had two nice hits and then gets benched.....oh and might have to come up with a new strategy in the 3rd.....

I predict a ton of drinking for me down the stretch....

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
All you "disappointed" and angry fans... tell me what did you really expect from the Oilers?

Cue this in and let it sink in your brain pan. THIS TEAM FINISHED 29TH LAST YEAR.

They are now challenging for the playoffs.

Is it sinking in yet?

Apparently not. Apparently you think this team should beat out veteran teams like the Sharks and the Red Wings and play shutdown hockey against them.... when the Oilers haven't been in this position for what... six years?

You people have unreal expectations.
So posters aren't allowed to be upset that the team continuosly blows third period leads? Are we all supposed to be content with games like this?
I believe their record after being tied or ahead going into the 3rd is the worst in the entire league BY FAR. Should that be deemed acceptable in your mind?

The team is fake .500 and they are hanging in a playoff race after 29 games but their record is actually worse than it was this time last season and the goal differential is worse. IMO, the only reason that they are in a playoff race is because it's a shortened season. I'm pretty confident that they would have been well out of the race by now if the season started in October.
The team is slightly improved from last season but don't let them being in a playoff race delude you into thinking that this is even close to a playoff team but there's always hope as long as remain close.

Last edited by CupofOil: 03-21-2013 at 05:15 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
just a thought here. And i agree with most of u guys on the oilers just changing their playing style in the third.

But does anyone think it has more to do with the other team trying much harder to score on us when their down in the third? It just seems like we play the same game alot of the nights and the other team just elevates theres and suddenly it looks like we play on our heals when in reality, we are playing the same game, we just can't adjust to their play.
Most certainly. But many posters here think of things only in black and white terms.

Oilers score more in period => Oilers playing well!

Opposition score more in period => Oilers playing poorly!

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yeah he threw those two big hits at 6:43, that was his last shift in the game. I thought it was his best shift as an Oiler.
I turned to my buddy after that **** and said - there is no way Yak doesnt score to win this - he is fired up...............guess Krueger didnt see it and sat him the rest of the game. Not putting Yak in the line-up for OT is just brainless......

Guys like Petrell get double shifted when they are buzzing - Yak doesnt get anything more than 6-7 shifts a period regardless if he just crushed 2 people and was buzzing.....

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Right when Patrell was put in his spot...
I'm not understanding what you're saying. Petrell wasn't put in the Yakupov spot. From what I saw Yak played much of his time in his normal spot with Gagner and continued to.

Petrell was on for both GA in 3rd, yes, but one goal was on the pk where he would normally be, and the other would be in bottom six rotation where he would normally be.

What does this have to do with Yaks toi allocation?