HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stafford - Burmistrov (BUF-WPG)

Old
03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Stafford - Burmistrov (BUF-WPG)

Something flashed by my Twitter feed the other day, a speculation that Buffalo and Winnipeg should be swapping Stafford for Burmistrov. Not taking this as a rumor or anything, I just thought it was an interesting suggestion. From what I understand, Winnipeg are pretty well covered at center, am I right? Adding a winger with size and enough skill to be a top 6 player should help them out.

Now, Stafford's numbers aren't exactly impressive this year. He's struggling. I think a change of scenary would do him good. Burmistrov's numbers aren't good either, but of course he's younger and has time to develop. Sabres could use another center to give the team some flexibility and depth.

So is this fair value? Does it need to be sprinkled with picks or prospects? From a Sabres point of view, I'd do it. At this point, Stafford isn't helping the team so taking a shot at a young center seems like a low risk move. From a Winnipeg point of view? I have no idea. But Stafford has the talent and experience to be a nice add on, and at 27 it's not like you're giving up youth for a vet with just a couple of years left in him.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Something flashed by my Twitter feed the other day, a speculation that Buffalo and Winnipeg should be swapping Stafford for Burmistrov. Not taking this as a rumor or anything, I just thought it was an interesting suggestion. From what I understand, Winnipeg are pretty well covered at center, am I right? Adding a winger with size and enough skill to be a top 6 player should help them out.

Now, Stafford's numbers aren't exactly impressive this year. He's struggling. I think a change of scenary would do him good. Burmistrov's numbers aren't good either, but of course he's younger and has time to develop. Sabres could use another center to give the team some flexibility and depth.

So is this fair value? Does it need to be sprinkled with picks or prospects? From a Sabres point of view, I'd do it. At this point, Stafford isn't helping the team so taking a shot at a young center seems like a low risk move. From a Winnipeg point of view? I have no idea. But Stafford has the talent and experience to be a nice add on, and at 27 it's not like you're giving up youth for a vet with just a couple of years left in him.
This sounds doable but maybe the jets throw in a draft pick or prospect?

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
keslerburrows

Buffalo wishes

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Buffalo has to add in my opinion.

03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Yeah right. We take it and run, absolutely. It's not good for Winnipeg. And they add a prospect/pick?

Stafford's under-performing and isn't living up to his contract. Burmistrov is still young and has a lot of potential despite playing in the bottom-six. Buffalo takes this and doesn't think twice. Not enough going back to Winnipeg.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I freaking wish.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Buffalo has to add in my opinion.
This is pretty much it.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Yeah right. We take it and run, absolutely. It's not good for Winnipeg. And they add a prospect/pick?

Stafford's under-performing and isn't living up to his contract. Burmistrov is still young and has a lot of potential despite playing in the bottom-six. Buffalo takes this and doesn't think twice. Not enough going back to Winnipeg.
In fairness, this is the first season--and 30 games, at that--in the last three that Stafford hasn't been worthy of a $4m salary. Blah blah blah he's inconsistent (yeah, many 2nd line wingers are, that's why they aren't 1st line wingers), blah blah blah he'd rather be playing his guitar. Many people were waiting for Stafford to go in a funk so they could crawl out of their holes and scream, "I told you so" and argue that he's the problem with this team--Just like Derek Roy was, right? How's that working out for us so far?

As to the OP, Buffalo has to add because Burmistrov is under team control for another 2.5 years, and won't be arbitration eligible for a couple years, so he can be cost-controlled. He also has a top-10 draft pick pedigree and he's still devleoping.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
I don't see the Jets swapping Burmistrov for Stafford. Despite his lack of offense, Burmi still holds alot of value to the team as a defensive player. If he's going to be traded, it will be as part of a package for an upgrade on Center.

In pretty sure if we were going to acquire Stafford, it could be done for picks.

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
PAZ

The Jet's aren't set at center at all. Maybe in the future if Burmi develops properly.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:07 PM
JetsHomer

Stafford is currently outscoring Burmistrov by .1 ppg. He's not as good defensively either. Does he get PP time? Burmistrov does not.

Stafford would be worth maybe a first in the 20 range. Not a former top 10 pick that is playing as well as Stafford, while being much younger with much more potential.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Pretty sure the Jets wouldn't even do the OP, and you want them to add? Good joke.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
broc

This just in-

No.

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Stafford is currently outscoring Burmistrov by .1 ppg. He's not as good defensively either. Does he get PP time? Burmistrov does not.

Stafford would be worth maybe a first in the 20 range. Not a former top 10 pick that is playing as well as Stafford, while being much younger with much more potential.
Stafford used to get ice time on the PP. Not so much now. However, given how terrible the Sabres PP is, I'd say it looks better on his resumé not being part of it.

Last edited by Wisent42: 03-21-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Stafford used to get ice time on the PP. Not so much now. However, given how terrible the Sabres PP is, I'd say it looks better on his resumé not being part of it.
Stafford has been a part of the second line for PP. This doesnt add up to much because it may be 30-45 sec per PP. thus one rush at best.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Karate Johnson*
Zemgus is my Copilot

All day from Buffalos end...

It would help Bumistrov too... Get him away from the bright lights, glitz and glamour of Winnepeg and move him to Buffalo where he could focus on Hockey

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Definite interest in Stafford, but not at the cost of Burmistrov. I think our organizations mold is one that wont move out a player with that potential at his age, except for someone else who is also pretty young, because our teams real potential lies 2 - 4 years away...
Maybe in a few years, but I think they'd like to see if he does reach his theoretical upside.

Burmi is probably obtainable at a reasonable price, and we're interested in Stafford, but I don't think the deal to be had is really around those two guys. If Burmi goes it's gotta be a young guy coming back. I think. (Not that stafford is old, but a guy who still has some upside, I should say, or will be at his best in a few years, not now)

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
The Jet's aren't set at center at all. Maybe in the future if Burmi develops properly.
But... Jokinen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Definite interest in Stafford, but not at the cost of Burmistrov. I think our organizations mold is one that wont move out a player with that potential at his age, except for someone else who is also pretty young, because our teams real potential lies 2 - 4 years away...
Maybe in a few years, but I think they'd like to see if he does reach his theoretical upside.

Burmi is probably obtainable at a reasonable price, and we're interested in Stafford, but I don't think the deal to be had is really around those two guys. If Burmi goes it's gotta be a young guy coming back. I think. (Not that stafford is old, but a guy who still has some upside, I should say, or will be at his best in a few years, not now)
This. They're not selling the future to win this year, everything at this point is for the longterm benefit.

I also don't see them selling Burmistrov low - if they don't get top-10 value for him, which I believe he still has given his potential, they might as well hold on to him. If anyone is looking at Burmistrov's offensive stats and the fact it's his third year in the league as a sign that he's a bust, they're missing the fact that he was clearly rushed by Atlanta and has developed some bad habits as a result, as well as the fact that most other top-10 picks from that year haven't done anything in the NHL yet either. Given the progress the Jets coaching staff has made with Buff and Bogo (which might just be limited to defensemen and Huddy's a genius, I don't know), I think they'll get his offensive play straightened out.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Don't know why Winnipeg does this.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

yahh...stafford to winnipeg i could see, but not for burmi.

The list of players who've accomplished similar things to burmi at the same age is a fairly impressive list. The shines worn off him because this is his third year in the league, but he's still only 21.

I'd lov eto get stafford, but what goes out of winnipeg would not be burmistrov unless there was suitable youth coming back as well.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Postma + Chicago's 2nd

Possibly throw in a 3rd

veganhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! NO!

Why are we giving up on Burmistrov? He has an excellent defensive game and is very illusive in the offensive zone. He just hasn't put it all together yet....AND HE'S 20!

He will be something special. If Buffalo is looking to move Stafford then we have picks and a few lesser prospects available. If that isn't good enough then that's fine.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Karate Johnson*
Zemgus is my Copilot

I love when posters respond to a trade proposal like "NO! absolutely not, no way ever we will do that you are stupid!" like GM's don't make bad trades, or perceived bad trades.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I love when posters respond to a trade proposal like "NO! absolutely not, no way ever we will do that you are stupid!" like GM's don't make bad trades, or perceived bad trades.
Chevy has yet to. He also understand that, should he do this trade, he would be run out of town.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
In fairness, this is the first season--and 30 games, at that--in the last three that Stafford hasn't been worthy of a $4m salary. Blah blah blah he's inconsistent (yeah, many 2nd line wingers are, that's why they aren't 1st line wingers), blah blah blah he'd rather be playing his guitar. Many people were waiting for Stafford to go in a funk so they could crawl out of their holes and scream, "I told you so" and argue that he's the problem with this team--Just like Derek Roy was, right? How's that working out for us so far?

As to the OP, Buffalo has to add because Burmistrov is under team control for another 2.5 years, and won't be arbitration eligible for a couple years, so he can be cost-controlled. He also has a top-10 draft pick pedigree and he's still devleoping.
Stafford's two-way game has been pretty good but he's not scoring goals and that's what he's being paid to do. This isn't the first season he's had problems. He's been streaky his whole career. If he even puts up a consistent 20-25 goals and 50-55 points I'd be really satisfied. He scored 30+ in bunches in 10-11 which earned him that extension. How many hat tricks did he get that season? At least two, maybe three? His inconsistency has proven to be maddening over the years. He's proven he can be a good player. He is a good player. He'd just benefit from a change of scenery IMO.

As for Roy, I was never a Roy hater. I had no problems with Derek Roy, I actually liked him a lot while many hated him among this fanbase. While I loved the trade at the time and I still love it now, I can admit Roy was a very good player for Buffalo for many years. I won't sit here like many can and deny that and trash him and I won't deny that Stafford is a good player as well. He just needs to get out of Buffalo. Jets are rumored to be looking for a scoring RW. Stafford fits. However, not with the return proposed. We won't get Burmistrov for him but I can see us and the Jets as trading partners in a Stafford deal.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote