HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-3 in SO

Old
03-21-2013, 05:21 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not understanding what you're saying. Petrell wasn't put in the Yakupov spot. From what I saw Yak played much of his time in his normal spot with Gagner and continued to.

Petrell was on for both GA in 3rd, yes, but one goal was on the pk where he would normally be, and the other would be in bottom six rotation where he would normally be.

What does this have to do with Yaks toi allocation?
Petrell played a minute and a half with Paajarvi and Gagner in the final 6 minutes.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
So posters aren't allowed to be upset that the team continuosly blows third period leads? Are we all supposed to be content with games like this?
I believe their record after being tied or ahead going into the 3rd is the worst in the entire league BY FAR. Should that be deemed acceptable in your mind?

The team is fake .500 and they are hanging in a playoff race after 29 games but their record is actually worse than it was this time last season and the goal differential is worse. IMO, the only reason that they are in a playoff race is because it's a shortened season. I'm pretty confident that they would have been well out of the race by now if the season started in October.
The team is slightly improved from last season but don't let them being in a playoff race delude you into thinking that this is even close to a playoff team but there's always hope as long as remain close.

Who cares about what is acceptable or not? The world doesn't revolve around what should be, but around what is.

And what is... is that the Oilers are not experienced at holding leads, nor even being in a playoff run. why are people so mad when they fail to do, when that should be pretty much expected?

Last edited by Master Lok: 03-21-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Petrell played close to 2 minutes with Paajarvi and Gagner in the final 6 minutes.
Thank you for clarifying that point but the two goals were scored much earlier so there is no cause and effect here. Also no resultant goals scored as result of coaching decision to put Petrell in topsix. An argument could be made that it reduced chances of a 4th SJ goal. Which was looking likely as well.

The only reason I clarified that yak was not "benched" in the 3rd is that the tar and pitchforks were out killing coachs again and in this case anyway, false attribution imo.

As another poster suggested Yak playing or not had nothing to do with the two goals, had nothing to do with the outcome.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that point but the two goals were scored much earlier so there is no cause and effect here. Also no resultant goals scored as result of coaching decision to put Petrell in topsix. An argument could be made that it reduced chances of a 4th SJ goal. Which was looking likely as well.

The only reason I clarified that yak was not "benched" in the 3rd is that the tar and pitchforks were out killing coachs again and in this case anyway, false attribution imo.

As another poster suggested Yak playing or not had nothing to do with the two goals, had nothing to do with the outcome.
I would consider not seeing the ice for the final 11 minutes of the game as "benched".

That's 11 minutes where a guy who was clearly busting his butt and 1/3rd of your best line could have affected the outcome, but wasn't given the chance.

Instead the player who was on the ice for two goals against only minutes prior is sent in to hold onto the lead.

Last edited by dnicks17: 03-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Who cares about what is acceptable or not? The world doesn't revolve around what should be, but around what is.

And what is... is that the Oilers are not experienced at holding leads, nor even being in a playoff run
So because the Oilers are inexperienced in big games, fans of the team aren't supposed to be upset when the team CONSTANTLY blows third period leads and looks like clowns in doing so? I don't quite get that. Did you think that fans wouldn't be upset by these meltdowns?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:

Yak got benched immediately after the best shift of any Oiler in the 3rd, didn't see a second of icetime after that. This was in a tie game, they weren't even protecting a lead. Yakupov looked hungry and didn't even get a chance to possibly win the game in regulation or OT. It's BS that Krueger took that opportunity away from the kid for no apparent reason.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I would consider not seeing the ice for the final 11 minutes of the game as "benched".

That's 11 minutes where a guy who was clearly busting his butt and 1/3rd of your best line could have affected the outcome, but wasn't given the chance.

Instead the player who was on the ice for two goals only minutes prior is sent in to hold onto the lead.
I already clariried in the thread that Yak only missed one shift in the last 5mins of the game. Yak last played in the game with only 5:58 left. This is on NHL stats. He didn't miss 11 mins, he missed 5. An inconsequential 5 minutes.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I already clariried in the thread that Yak only missed one shift in the last 5mins of the game. Yak last played in the game with only 5:58 left. This is on NHL stats. He didn't miss 11 mins, he missed 5. An inconsequential 5 minutes.
6 minutes left in the 3rd + 5 minutes of OT = 11 minutes.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
6 minutes left in the 3rd + 5 minutes of OT = 11 minutes.
Duh on my end. thanks.

But seriously. A raw rookie like Yak in 4 on 4 action?

I love Yak, don't get me wrong, but he wanders a lot and doesn't yet have the head for this nature of play against an exploiting vet team like the sharks. Good vet teams tend to play 4 on 4 better than youth.
SJ and Detroit particularly put on a clinic. I don't know that I want Yak out for that. Also, no goals were scored in that 11mins. Lets be clear here, theres 1000 posts on the board blaming the loss specifically on coaching and line management, in a shoot out loss...

Fact of the matter is we were largely running pad lines when the 2 GA happened to tie the game.

I'm just trying to offer a different perspective on this one.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
dnicks17

But like Rin said, the last time we saw Yak in OT was early February. Basically a month and a half ago.

I think it's pretty clear Yak has improved leaps and bounds since then. He's almost eliminated those jaw-droppingly weird giveaways.

Why not give him a shot?

And I realize no goals were scored against in those 11 minutes, but we didn't score any either. All while arguably the most talented player on the team is glued to the bench by Krueger's choosing.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Duh on my end. thanks.

But seriously. A raw rookie like Yak in 4 on 4 action?

I love Yak, don't get me wrong, but he wanders a lot and doesn't yet have the head for this nature of play against an exploiting vet team like the sharks. Good vet teams tend to play 4 on 4 better than youth.
SJ and Detroit particularly put on a clinic. I don't know that I want Yak out for that. Also, no goals were scored in that 11mins. Lets be clear here, theres 1000 posts on the board blaming the loss specifically on coaching and line management, in a shoot out loss...

Fact of the matter is we were largely running pad lines when the 2 GA happened to tie the game.

I'm just trying to offer a different perspective on this one.
San Jose didn't put on a clinic, there was absolutely nothing to be scared of. That was a team ripe for a beating and the Oilers let them off the hook by backing off and allowing them back in the game.

Yakupov had the most energetic shift of any Oiler with 6 minutes left in the 3rd, helps to somewhat tlit the ice back towards the Oilers then Krueger plans to play the hell out of a plug like Smyth (who contributed strongly to the game tying goal) who was also dead tired and staple Yakupov to the bench for the last 11 minutes of the game. Where's the logic in that? How could you possibly defend that?
Yakupov did nothing to earn being benched besides being 19 years old while who were struggling continued to get opportunity to score a go ahead goal and why, because they are older? Again, where's the logic in that?

Old
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

People are always complaining about Yakupov, but I wonder if Krueger's treatment won't benefit him in the long run.

RNH and Eberle were treated with kid gloves, and everything was so easy for them. Not sure that was the best thing for them as they have seemed to stall this year. Hall was as well, but he is so driven so it is easy for him to motivate himself to improve.

By making things tough on Yakupov, hopefully he will be able to use his frustrations as motivation to improve. It seems to have worked for Gagner. He had a very tough road and seemed to have different line-mates every day. There were many frustrating moments but he just kept fighting through it and is now a core piece of this team.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
People are always complaining about Yakupov, but I wonder if Krueger's treatment won't benefit him in the long run.

RNH and Eberle were treated with kid gloves, and everything was so easy for them. Not sure that was the best thing for them as they have seemed to stall this year. Hall was as well, but he is so driven so it is easy for him to motivate himself to improve.

By making things tough on Yakupov, hopefully he will be able to use his frustrations as motivation to improve. It seems to have worked for Gagner. He had a very tough road and seemed to have different line-mates every day. There were many frustrating moments but he just kept fighting through it and is now a core piece of this team.
I think Yakupov's personality is a lot closer to Hall's than RNH or Eberle's though.

He doesn't seem like a guy who would ever have a problem with motivation.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
But like Rin said, the last time we saw Yak in OT was early February. Basically a month and a half ago.

I think it's pretty clear Yak has improved leaps and bounds since then. He's almost eliminated those jaw-droppingly weird giveaways.

Why not give him a shot?

And I realize no goals were scored against in those 11 minutes, but we didn't score any either. All while arguably the most talented player on the team is glued to the bench by Krueger's choosing.
Yep, again I love the player. I never even thought of the OT tbh honest as my instinct would be not to start a rook in 5 minute OT. But people have expressed their point well and I'm taking it in.

Quote:
San Jose didn't put on a clinic, there was absolutely nothing to be scared of. That was a team ripe for a beating and the Oilers let them off the hook by backing off and allowing them back in the game.

Yakupov had the most energetic shift of any Oiler with 6 minutes left in the 3rd, helps to somewhat tlit the ice back towards the Oilers then Krueger plans to play the hell out of a plug like Smyth (who contributed strongly to the game tying goal) who was also dead tired and staple Yakupov to the bench for the last 11 minutes of the game. Where's the logic in that? How could you possibly defend that?
Yakupov did nothing to earn being benched besides being 19 years old while who were struggling continued to get opportunity to score a go ahead goal and why, because they are older? Again, where's the logic in that?
I really enjoyed the energy in that shift and specifically the physical nature of it and "I'm not backing down" nature to it. Also like that he evaded retribution on the shift, and then layed somebody else out..

I love this kid. So yeah, I can see your guys angle better now, thanks for the discussion all of you.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I still don't like that he doesn't get any time in the 4-on-4 OT. It's embarrassing that we're trying to sit on a tie in a 4-on-4 situation, lol.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
shogun99

I'd rather lose in OT then get schooled in the shoot out every single time.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post

I don't have a problem with Krueger managing Yakupov's minutes carefully or benching him after making a mistake to teach him a lesson but what good does it do to bench him after a great shift? That's where the criticism of Krueger's handling of him plays in. It's not like they were even protecting a lead, it was a tie game and Yakupov looked hungry to get a goal. Play the kid while he's hot. It was just odd to bench him after a shift like that.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'd rather lose in OT then get schooled in the shoot out every single time.
I'd rather lose in a shootout as that means the opponent doesn't get a ROW.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
harpoon

Quote:
The team is fake .500 and they are hanging in a playoff race after 29 games but their record is actually worse than it was this time last season and the goal differential is worse. IMO, the only reason that they are in a playoff race is because it's a shortened season. I'm pretty confident that they would have been well out of the race by now if the season started in October.
Well said. Nothing like a little dose of reality for those folks who think this team is improved.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the energy in that shift and specifically the physical nature of it and "I'm not backing down" nature to it. Also like that he evaded retribution on the shift, and then layed somebody else out..
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I really enjoyed seeing MPS skate over and give the SJ player a bit of stick in defense of Yak.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Krueger managing Yakupov's minutes carefully or benching him after making a mistake to teach him a lesson but what good does it do to bench him after a great shift? That's where the criticism of Krueger's handling of him plays in. It's not like they were even protecting a lead, it was a tie game and Yakupov looked hungry to get a goal. Play the kid while he's hot. It was just odd to bench him after a shift like that.
Hard to disagree with that. You have to reward the kid after a great shift.

Still I think the way they are using him will benefit him in the long run. He's going to be a great goal-scorer regardless, but it would be nice to turn him into a good two-way player as well.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Well said. Nothing like a little dose of reality for those folks who think this team is improved.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I really enjoyed seeing MPS skate over and give the SJ player a bit of stick in defense of Yak.
I think the balls have dropped. Must be hanging around with Gagner. Pretty soon they'll be shaving..

But yeah, MPS has really turned the corner. Very pleased with how he's playing for the most part.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Soundwave

The one good thing about this season is Gagner and MPS are reborn, they just look like completely different players and that's good because we couldn't just afford to "write off" those picks.

That dangle that Magnus pulled last night made my jaw drop honestly. He never would've even dreamed of trying that last year, and I didn't even known if he had the hands to do that.

But we need to get RNH and Yakupov and Eberle going if this team is ever going to do anything. Even Schultz is capable of more IMO.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I remember thinking to myself MPS looked surprising earlier in the year when Van was in town. He absolutely crushed a canuck on the forecheck, I think it was Tanev but I can't remember.

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Luca Sbisa is turning into a Smid/Petry hybrid out in ANA - Smid's defensive game combined with Petry's decent puck-moving ability. Helluva stud they have there. Ideal partner with Fowler if they weren't both LHD.
I've been keeping track of Sbisa since the Philly days.

Good pickup for the Ducks.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

If I'm an oiler I try to take out Couture next game. And by take out I mean a big, clean hit that shakes him up. Can't let guys like that talk trash and walk all over you.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is online now   Reply With Quote