HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal's rivalries with Toronto/Boston

Old
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
As a Toronto fan, hopefully you guys/girls don't mind my perspective on this issue...

From my experience, Montreal fans dislike the TML more than the other way around, but I have never lived in Canada and may be biased a bit. I have found that many of the die-hard anti-Hab Leaf fans are simply jealous of the winning the Habs have enjoyed over the years, and are annoyed at getting it thrown in their faces by Hab fans.

However, the alternative is also present in huge amounts: The Leafs may not win, but they are uber-wealthy and uber-popular in a way no other NHL team can match, with seemingly countless fans everywhere in North America that harass others on the 'Net and buy up numerous tickets in opposing arenas to cheer on the blue and white and act obnoxious. Basically, we are Canada's New York Yankees, only without the success I am ashamed on how Leaf fans act in Buffalo, for example; I'm caught in the middle of the fracas because I grew up about 135 miles east of Buffalo (I think around 210 km, on a rough estimate in my head?), so I'm an American born and bred in Sabres territory, yet I'm loyal to Buffalo's arch enemy. it's a strange conundrum...

Canadians from Victoria to Whitehorse to the Rock are no doubt bitter and annoyed how the Leafs dominate much media coverage, and dislike the Leafs for that reason, which is understandable. I hate the Yankees (but I do respect the players for the most part) with a passion, and they are thrown down the throats of Americans with a fervor unless a person completely tunes out baseball altogether, which is what I've done, since I don't like baseball

Personally, I feel the rivalry with our two clubs is recovering from the damage it took during all those years that we barely played you guys. I personally get more fired up at a game against Detroit than against Montreal due to the Campbell Conference days, and Ottawa is the team that most gets me going in the Eastern Conference.

One more thing: For all our trolls, we have a ton of outstanding regulars on our board, many of which would enjoy talking hockey with some of the excellent people here. I enjoy the Habs board because of the quality conversation here and the passion this board exhibits (plus, I genuinely love the city of Montreal, have no problem whatsoever with the Habs, and respect the passion of Canadiens fans), and our board presents many of the same attributes. Feel free to come by if you guys respect the rules of the board, which is what I try to do here.

and can exist in peace

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
As a Toronto fan, hopefully you guys/girls don't mind my perspective on this issue...

From my experience, Montreal fans dislike the TML more than the other way around, but I have never lived in Canada and may be biased a bit. I have found that many of the die-hard anti-Hab Leaf fans are simply jealous of the winning the Habs have enjoyed over the years, and are annoyed at getting it thrown in their faces by Hab fans.

However, the alternative is also present in huge amounts: The Leafs may not win, but they are uber-wealthy and uber-popular in a way no other NHL team can match, with seemingly countless fans everywhere in North America that harass others on the 'Net and buy up numerous tickets in opposing arenas to cheer on the blue and white and act obnoxious. Basically, we are Canada's New York Yankees, only without the success I am ashamed on how Leaf fans act in Buffalo, for example; I'm caught in the middle of the fracas because I grew up about 135 miles east of Buffalo (I think around 210 km, on a rough estimate in my head?), so I'm an American born and bred in Sabres territory, yet I'm loyal to Buffalo's arch enemy. it's a strange conundrum...

Canadians from Victoria to Whitehorse to the Rock are no doubt bitter and annoyed how the Leafs dominate much media coverage, and dislike the Leafs for that reason, which is understandable. I hate the Yankees (but I do respect the players for the most part) with a passion, and they are thrown down the throats of Americans with a fervor unless a person completely tunes out baseball altogether, which is what I've done, since I don't like baseball

Personally, I feel the rivalry with our two clubs is recovering from the damage it took during all those years that we barely played you guys. I personally get more fired up at a game against Detroit than against Montreal due to the Campbell Conference days, and Ottawa is the team that most gets me going in the Eastern Conference.

One more thing: For all our trolls, we have a ton of outstanding regulars on our board, many of which would enjoy talking hockey with some of the excellent people here. I enjoy the Habs board because of the quality conversation here and the passion this board exhibits (plus, I genuinely love the city of Montreal, have no problem whatsoever with the Habs, and respect the passion of Canadiens fans), and our board presents many of the same attributes. Feel free to come by if you guys respect the rules of the board, which is what I try to do here.

and can exist in peace
Interesting post I guess. My hatred for the Leafs has to do with the way they play their hockey more than their fans. I have had some intelligent conversations with Leaf fans about hockey, but it's tough to find them.

I have a really hard time hating Ottawa as a hockey team because they play hockey against you and beat you on the ice. Sometimes they might do something that bothers me, like what Chara did to Ivananans last year but it's rare that we see that coming from Ottawa. Toronto on the other hand were full of guys that hold and clutch and grab and interfere and basically cheat to win. Guys like Domi, Roberts, Belak, Yushkevich, Danil Markov, Travis Green, and of course Tucker. I have been SO frustrated by their tactics that I hate them. I respect them as a hockey team, but I hate them.

Anyway, now times have changed and they lost a lot of those players. Now Tucker remains with Belak and Peca - although I think Peca is much cleaner than Tucker is.

I don't fear the Leafs like I used to. Bring 'em on I say.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
tinyzombies

I think Hockey Night in Canada becoming a Toronto-centric show really upset a lot of Montreal fans, but that has nothing to do with the Leafs.

The fact that Toronto has played a tough, sometimes dirty style also comes into it. But I think what frustrates me most is that Montreal has had a soft team for so long. So that has nothing to do with the Leafs either.

As for arrogant fans, I think Montreal fans can match anyone for that anywhere (probably myself included). When a dynasty is in decline, you tend to get nasty. A lot of us were used to winning, then it was all taken away and we DON'T LIKE IT - especially when it wasn't necessary and only happened through gross mismanagement.

Also, there is a perceived referee bias against the Habs every time we play the Leafs. Bruins fans believe we get the edge over them (which I tend to agree with). One of the posters did a statistical comparison on here that seemed to prove this, but that sort of thing can become a self-fulfilling prophesy. The Leafs players certainly have a reputation for whining even though they have played such a dirty style of hockey, which is also resented by other fans.

All that said, there's nothing I look forward to more than playing the Leafs and Bruins. The Senators bore me.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
HabstuckinTO

We all have different reasons for hating the Leafs (those of us that do, that is). Here's my take.

I grew up in small town Northern Ontario and was in elementary school and early high school during the wonderful late 70's. Lots of Hab fans, lots of Leaf fans, some others. I went to the English school (Hab fans were a minority) but had lots of French Canadian buddies and played hockey with a lot of them. I loved the Habs, and the Leafs of those days were terrible. They weren't on the radar screen as far as good hockey teams went. As Ken Dryden wrote - the rivalry was dead; the Leafs killed it.

Despite all this, it was amazing to hear the continuous BS coming out of the mouths of the Leaf fans. Salming is much better than Robinson - he should win the Norris. Sittler is fantastic. Mike Palmateer is great (that one was particularly goofy). It was hard to believe, really, and given the fact that Mtl was a powerhouse at the time, very frustrating. I made no secret of the fact that I was a Hab fan but let the team's play do my talking for me - why argue with idiots was my thinking. But to hear the stupid comments again and again and get phone calls at home if the Habs lost - yikes! I remember some clown getting on the school bus the day after the North Stars had eliminated the Habs in a brand new Minnesota jersey, arms raised. He was a Leaf fan, of course. I could go on but those are the ones that come to mind.

I truly hate the Leafs but I'm not objective enough to know how I'm affected by their style of play, their special status in the English language Cdn media, etc. My hatred developed early and it developed because of the fans that I knew. The sad thing is that I hear often hear grown men sounding like those clowns back in my school days.

As I tell my kids: The Canadiens organization has always had much more class than the Maple Leafs, Leaf Nation is nothing more than the country's largest support group, the Habs have an unparalleled proud tradition in this sport, there is nothing like heading to Mtl for game (never mind playoffs!), and don't let the fans in this city try to convince you otherwise.

I love the Habs!

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
habs86

vCash: 100
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
I grew up in MTL, and was raised to dislike the leafs and jays,to no end. i also have lived in the boston area and must say my dislike for the bruins grew lots, but i did leave there a huge sox fan.

have not really spent any time in T O, but have driven threw a few times, so i can honestly say it is just the leafs and jays i have a dislike for.

go habs go
in gainey we trust

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Covenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I hate Toronto with a passion. I don't know why, I was born a Habs fan but wasn't raised to hate anything. But when I see a leafs fan with an arogant smirk on his face, I just want to smack it off him cause I know he thinks he's for some reason superior to me.

I should despise Boston because all of my uncles on my mother's side are Bruins fans, and groing up they would always make cracks about the habs and say how much the Bruins are better. Of course, this stopped in 93, but I never really held a grudge against them.

I guess it's mostly the style of play that causes the hate. Boston has had a pretty lousy team (along with the habs) for years now. So the games just meant less. Leafs games however, doesn't matter if they play the Habs or not, just seem to play dirty. If a goalie caught the puck, they are the only team to be able to hack him into the net, or hack his hand until the puck comes loose and score, and not only not get a penatly, but have the goal actually count! I swear I try to be as least biased as possible so I watch a leasf game without the habs and they still play dirty. They'll hook someone to the ground and not get called, the other team accidentally runs into one of their players with 3 seconds left before overtime and that team gets a penalty. Toronto scores in OT and acts like they are king s***.

I can't see me ever respecting the leafs. On the other hand, I hate to say this, but with Thornton gone, and Sammy with us, I look at the bruins as a young team with some good players coming up. The hate is not there. You never know, in a few years if they really improve, the rivalry will ignight again, but I think the hate will be replaced by the ever so tiniest bit of respect. Something the leafs could never get from me.

Check the penalty totals during the last few years to see who has been short changed!!

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

I actually like Boston unless they are playing the habs as I routinely route for them to when they are playing against other teams. It's a whole other matter when they are playing with us in teh playoffs though...
Second, I had a few True bruins fans in my school and we had a lot of smacktalk going back and forth during the playoffs , it was all good...

Toronto I can never cheer for unless their win becomes beneficial to us for some reason. Something about their team bothers me to my very core...it's not the players . I mean I like Peca and I think sundin and Kaberle are great players but Geesuz...their Logo makes me want to barf when I see it...especially when some random kid In montreal wears that retched jersey.

The city itself I don't care much about. I lived in toronto as a child and I don't really have any great memories from that place. All I remember is that it was Big...and empty. it's hard to explain, i've visited Toronto every few years and so and the sparseness of it all bores me...but it's not even close to the City of OTtawa for Borigness

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Covenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Interesting post I guess. My hatred for the Leafs has to do with the way they play their hockey more than their fans. I have had some intelligent conversations with Leaf fans about hockey, but it's tough to find them.

I have a really hard time hating Ottawa as a hockey team because they play hockey against you and beat you on the ice. Sometimes they might do something that bothers me, like what Chara did to Ivananans last year but it's rare that we see that coming from Ottawa. Toronto on the other hand were full of guys that hold and clutch and grab and interfere and basically cheat to win. Guys like Domi, Roberts, Belak, Yushkevich, Danil Markov, Travis Green, and of course Tucker. I have been SO frustrated by their tactics that I hate them. I respect them as a hockey team, but I hate them.

Anyway, now times have changed and they lost a lot of those players. Now Tucker remains with Belak and Peca - although I think Peca is much cleaner than Tucker is.

I don't fear the Leafs like I used to. Bring 'em on I say.

Cap

Just curious, if the Habs had never made the stupid trade of Tucker to Tampa Bay, would you still feel the same way about him...I think not.

Old
08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Just curious, if the Habs had never made the stupid trade of Tucker to Tampa Bay, would you still feel the same way about him...I think not.
You would be wrong. Tucker is a punk. He's a cheapshot artist and I'd never cheer for him even if he was a hab. He'd have to score the Stanley Cup winning goal as a hab for me to change my mind - and even then it wouldn't be as sweet a victory.

Cap

Old
08-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Hmmm. I guess I wouldn't still feel the same way. Instead of him being "one of my favourite players", he would probably have become my all-time #1 absolute super-favourite player.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
You would be wrong. Tucker is a punk. He's a cheapshot artist and I'd never cheer for him even if he was a hab. He'd have to score the Stanley Cup winning goal as a hab for me to change my mind - and even then it wouldn't be as sweet a victory.

Cap
if he makes soo many people dislike him he must be doing something, he's not a cheapshot artist although he does have questionable hits, people call him that cause they hate him, You can name many players who take more cheapshots and still arent half the player as tucker. Believe me, if you guys had him you would love him as much as leaf fans.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:17 PM
habfan4

I don't hate any team, aside from when they are playing the Habs, I'm completely indifferent to the fate of the Bruins or the Leafs. I do however relish Canadiens' victories over those two clubs (the Bruins more so) more than most.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
if he makes soo many people dislike him he must be doing something, he's not a cheapshot artist although he does have questionable hits, people call him that cause they hate him, You can name many players who take more cheapshots and still arent half the player as tucker. Believe me, if you guys had him you would love him as much as leaf fans.
This assumes that you cannot dislike a player who plays for your favourite team. Given the treatment players like Brisebois & Traverse received in Montreal, ditto for Larry Murphy and Robert Reichel in Toronto, that is obviously not true.

I suppose a better comparison would be Claude Lemieux, a guy I never liked as a Hab and hated when he played elsewhere.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

i hate everything about toronto. beyond sports teams i hate the smell there, the garbage, the smog, everything. i will never stay in toronto longer then a couple days. might be cause i live in a small town but i liked montreal when i went there so i dont know..

boston on the other hand i've never been to, but i do like the patriots

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Capitano

Quote:
He's a committed team guy, that's the best I can say about him. In my opinion he IS a cheapshot artist. He DOES bleed for his teammates, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the heart that he shows. I just don't appreciate the negative aspects - like the diving, and the cheapshots he takes. You might not think he is a cheapshot artist, but I certainly do. Part of me likes Tucker because he's a little guy who fights tooth and nail, but then he goes and instigates things all the time which makes me hate him. I have no problem with guys standing their ground, but he instigates a lot which I don't like.

I'm sure I would find part of me as a hockey fan to cheer for him, but again, part of me would be embarassed if he was still wearing our jersey. And I think that's what separates me from most Leaf fans as far as passionate hockey fans go.

Cap

Old
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
madbox

I don't really like anything Boston- just can't, though I do respect Bo-Sox fans. Great place for baseball and they aren't overly horrible considering... or to me anyways.

Toronto on the other hand... Leafs blow. Love the Jays. Am sick of of the Raptors sucking so bad.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:34 PM
madbox

Quote:
We did have him, and I don't ever want him back again. His cheap crap overshadows his actual hockey talent. He has no respect for his fellow players- otherwise he wouldn't toss so many damn elbows at a bunch of randoms heads and when that fails, well, a knee. I want players on my team that I can actually respect and like... Tucker? As friggin' if.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
We did have him, and I don't ever want him back again. His cheap crap overshadows his actual hockey talent. He has no respect for his fellow players- otherwise he wouldn't toss so many damn elbows at a bunch of randoms heads and when that fails, well, a knee. I want players on my team that I can actually respect and like... Tucker? As friggin' if.
Ah, yes. Tucker. Here is my favourite all-time D'arcy Tucker moment.

http://kovykillstucker.ytmnd.com/

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabstuckinTO View Post
Ah, yes. Tucker. Here is my favourite all-time D'arcy Tucker moment.

http://kovykillstucker.ytmnd.com/
Best two nights of the year last year, no doubt.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Poochie_D

I hate both clubs with a passion but I have nothing agaisnt the city of Boston.

Toronto on the other hand...

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Kirk Muller*

There is a rivalry with Boston. There is no real rivalry with Toronto. It's made up. 95% of you guys weren't even born the last time they played in the playoffs. That's when rivalries are made.

I like both cities.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
wholeshow*

i hate all boston sport teams (especially the bo sox). for the nhl, i hate any team that isn't montreal (i cheer for the canucks from time to time though).

i would like to see the raptors and blue jays do well, to spite americans.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Covenant

Quote:
He's a committed team guy, that's the best I can say about him. In my opinion he IS a cheapshot artist. He DOES bleed for his teammates, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the heart that he shows. I just don't appreciate the negative aspects - like the diving, and the cheapshots he takes. You might not think he is a cheapshot artist, but I certainly do. Part of me likes Tucker because he's a little guy who fights tooth and nail, but then he goes and instigates things all the time which makes me hate him. I have no problem with guys standing their ground, but he instigates a lot which I don't like.

I'm sure I would find part of me as a hockey fan to cheer for him, but again, part of me would be embarassed if he was still wearing our jersey. And I think that's what separates me from most Leaf fans as far as passionate hockey fans go.

Cap
For all the comments made on Tucker...cheapshot artist, etc., could I have your views on Claude Lemieux? I guess where he's done so much damage to your team since his trade, you have forgotten all the good he did...scoring winning goal against Hartford in game seven which propelled them to one of their Patrick Roy cups.

He was not only a cheapshot artist but the biggest coward that ever skated in the NHL. However, all Habs fan that I know adored him. It's time to end the hypocracy...the reason you hate Tucker, he was a former Hab who got away and ended up being a heart and soul player for the Leafs. I will guarentee you one thing that if Bob Gainey had the opportunity to acquire him, he would pilot a plane to the great city of TO to pick him up.

Old
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
coletta44

Growing up in Boston through the 70's and 80's,I always hated the Habs,probably because we could never beat them.It ALWAYS seemed like the calls went their way,every odd bounce of the puck or post always went against the B's.But when you're good,you get the calls,and that was the case,they were usually a very good team.
As an adult,I can't think of a city I like more than Montreal,regardless of the team.
I would love to live there someday.
One of my favorite times ever...New Years Eve, 01-02,the first new years after 911.
Me and my wife and another couple spent the night at Hurleys pub listening to a U2 cover band,Child,ringing in the new year. It was such a great time,we ALMOST forgot about the crazy stuff going on at the time.I dont think we left until 4 a.m.
The people of the city were fantastic at a sad time in our history...
Now trying to get back INTO our home country that weekend...that was tough...

P.S. How come I can't get Molson Dry in America!!!!

coletta44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Capitano

Quote:
For all the comments made on Tucker...cheapshot artist, etc., could I have your views on Claude Lemieux? I guess where he's done so much damage to your team since his trade, you have forgotten all the good he did...scoring winning goal against Hartford in game seven which propelled them to one of their Patrick Roy cups.

He was not only a cheapshot artist but the biggest coward that ever skated in the NHL. However, all Habs fan that I know adored him. It's time to end the hypocracy...the reason you hate Tucker, he was a former Hab who got away and ended up being a heart and soul player for the Leafs. I will guarentee you one thing that if Bob Gainey had the opportunity to acquire him, he would pilot a plane to the great city of TO to pick him up.
I thought Claude Lemieux was a punk too. Sure he won his share of cups, but there is a right way to do things - his and Tucker's way isn't right.

Cap