HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Comrie anyone?

Old
08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Comrie anyone?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2542

It's Eklund...however, if we ignore that and just consider the possibility, what do you think? It'd be a decent addition, IMO. I know there'll be an outcry about him being another Cammy clone, but hey...he's got decent offense and he's reasonably gritty for a player of his skillset.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Matt13

I personally like Comrie. Although I hate to see the team get smaller, I would take him if we didnt have to give up much. I suppose DL would trade Cammalleri for him because Comrie seems to be more of a DL player.

Comrie's fight card
9/22/01 vs Van - Nathan Smith
11/13/01 vs Pho - Daniel Briere
10/4/02 vs Cal - Scott Nichol
12/8/02 vs Atl - Ilya Kovalchuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJEZXZaKm1I (wait for it and ejoy the others)
12/31/05 vs Col - Brett Mclean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25VNbzy7EXk

Comrie's fight card and grit are the only thing that are different in the two players.

Comrie (DOB 1980) 5'9 185 80 GP / 30 G / 30 A
Cammalleri (DOB 1982) 5'9 180 80 GP / 26 G / 29 A

Last edited by Matt13: 08-04-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
kingsfan25

I don't think Cammy will be traded for him...he does seem like a DL player to me...very driven and he's a harder working player now than he was even a year ago.

Besides, it's my understanding that this would be a salary dump for Phoenix...they likely wouldn't require a top-six salary in return.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I don't think Cammy will be traded for him...he does seem like a DL player to me...very driven and he's a harder working player now than he was even a year ago.

Cammy seems like a DL player or Comrie does?

Old
08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Cue "Exactly what we need - another small-ish forward" idiots in 3......2.......1......

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

No thanks. Talented player but not what this team needs. Yes, they do need more offense, but Comrie isn't the type of offensive player the Kings need to add. He can be rather inconsistent and he has a history with holding out or trying to cash in big (like when he left Michigan to play a year in juniors in order to become eligible to become unrestricted).

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:35 AM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post

Comrie's fight card and grit are the only thing that are different in the two players.

Comrie (DOB 1980) 5'9 185 80 GP / 30 G / 30 A
Cammalleri (DOB 1982) 5'9 180 80 GP / 26 G / 29 A
Statistically, yes - and it's kinda surprising too, considering Comrie was a #1 center for the Oil for a season or 2. If you ask Edmonton fans about his character, you'd get some less-than-flattering answers though. Flyers management seemed to go through him quickly too - which makes it all the more interesting that the DL/RH management team is considering bring him to LA. Well, it is Eklund, so... yeah.

I hope a few Flyers and Oil fans see this thread and give us their thoughts.

Last edited by multiball: 08-04-2006 at 11:45 AM.
multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
No thanks. Talented player but not what this team needs. Yes, they do need more offense, but Comrie isn't the type of offensive player the Kings need to add. He can be rather inconsistent and he has a history with holding out or trying to cash in big (like when he left Michigan to play a year in juniors in order to become eligible to become unrestricted).

No different than Cammalleri correct?

Old
08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Cue "Exactly what we need - another small-ish forward" idiots in 3......2.......1......

to be fair, he isnt "small-ish".....he's small.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Cammy seems like a DL player or Comrie does?
Both do.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
No different than Cammalleri correct?
Aside from being similar in stature, Cammalleri had a great first full year in the pros and was actually one of the more consistent performers for the Kings during the second half of the season. Plus he hasn't been a headache to negotiate contracts with and he has worked hard every time he was sent to Manchester to earn a trip back to LA. I think Cammalleri works harder than most people give him credit for and he will continue to get better.

Comrie can still improve statistically, but he has that "character" issue and history that could be taken into question and Lombardi might not find attractive. Nice numbers, but then again, Jason Allison was a former 90 point scorer...

Old
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Aside from being similar in stature, Cammalleri had a great first full year in the pros and was actually one of the more consistent performers for the Kings during the second half of the season. Plus he hasn't been a headache to negotiate contracts with and he has worked hard every time he was sent to Manchester to earn a trip back to LA. I think Cammalleri works harder than most people give him credit for and he will continue to get better.

Comrie can still improve statistically, but he has that "character" issue and history that could be taken into question and Lombardi might not find attractive. Nice numbers, but then again, Jason Allison was a former 90 point scorer...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was refering to how Cammalleri was holding out at Michigan as well in order to get more money before he originally signed with LA. I honestly dont think as far as character/contracts goes he is much different than Cammalleri. Both hold out for the best that they can. Cammalleri did so again this year by going to the arbitrator.

Old
08-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Arbitration is an option for both the player and now the team as well. If Cammalleri wanted to, he wouldn't have elected to go through arbitration and could have held out for more cash. He avoided arbitration and settled for $1.7M which is a bargain.

There was the option for Cammalleri to play in juniors but the Kings were going to try to get him signed anyway. Cammalleri hasn't held out yet and hasn't pouted and whined when he was a healthy scratch or sent to Manchester.

The Kings aren't getting Comrie and Comrie isn't the type of player Lombardi will be looking to add given what he has said about character. I don't see how you can say Cammalleri and Comrie both similar when it ccomes to character/contracts. Go ask Oilers fans.

Old
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Arbitration is an option for both the player and now the team as well. If Cammalleri wanted to, he wouldn't have elected to go through arbitration and could have held out for more cash. He avoided arbitration and settled for $1.7M which is a bargain.
Or he could have accepted his QO. And since he didnt accept his QO, in essence yes he did hold out for more money.

Quote:
There was the option for Cammalleri to play in juniors but the Kings were going to try to get him signed anyway. Cammalleri hasn't held out yet and hasn't pouted and whined when he was a healthy scratch or sent to Manchester.
He played hardball in college and almost went back into the draft. Which is what you were hard on Comrie about. Cammalleri signed to play in the Canadian Juniors.

Quote:
The Kings aren't getting Comrie and Comrie isn't the type of player Lombardi will be looking to add given what he has said about character. I don't see how you can say Cammalleri and Comrie both similar when it ccomes to character/contracts. Go ask Oilers fans.
The characteristics of how the handle contracts is very similar.

Last edited by Matt13: 08-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I'll admit that I wasn't taking into account his holdout.

However, to be fair, why don't we go ask Oiler fans what they think of Doug Weight.

Comrie has had his troubles in the past, however he seems to have done pretty well under Gretzky's tutelage (after being scratched for a few games). If he really has an attitude of unhealthy entitlement, then he should be passed on...however, if he has turned somewhat of a new leaf in Phoenix, maybe he's worth a shot.

Old
08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Since when is Comrie a "character" guy that DL would seek?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Mxpunk

Comrie used to be one of my favorite players. However, over the past couple seasons, his play and drive have dropped dramatically. I don't think he's really what the Kings need. Also, from the various rumors, he appears to be a locker room cancer and has had issues with past teammates.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Since when is Comrie a "character" guy that DL would seek?

Ok.

Since when he is not?

Old
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
kingsfan25

I was more referring to his style of play as something DL might be after. And Edmonton alumni always seem to play with a spark.

However, I think that with his grit and skillset and an attitude might have improved a bit since previous allegations have been made, he might be a fit.

Old
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Matt13

I could care less if we get Comrie or not.

I just hate "rumors" of people being a cancer or this or that. Or when someone says Comrie is bad for doing this when one of our own who is praised does the same sorts of things.

Maybe Mike wants out of PHX, maybe he is allergic to the fans or the heat is too much so he wants to get paid, as should everyone. Holding out for what you think you are worth is not uncommon. And as far as all the hub bub in Edmonton, he could have easily just been a young guy who made a mistake and butted heads with Lowe. He doesnt seem to be butting heads with anyone now, nor are there rumors of him being a cancer in PHX.

Old
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173286&hubname=nhl

/end speculation

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

I like Comrie. Small gritty player who can put up points and is not afraid to just get the job done; however, yes, I don't think he's the missing hole in the Kings lineup. And depends what we'd have to give up for him. I don't think giving up Cammy for him is even in the deck of cards though...

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post

I refuse to let it end!

Comrie to the Kings............M4

Old
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
And as far as all the hub bub in Edmonton, he could have easily just been a young guy who made a mistake and butted heads with Lowe. He doesnt seem to be butting heads with anyone now, nor are there rumors of him being a cancer in PHX.

How about Philly?

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Or he could have accepted his QO. And since he didnt accept his QO, in essence yes he did hold out for more money.

He played hardball in college and almost went back into the draft. Which is what you were hard on Comrie about. Cammalleri signed to play in the Canadian Juniors.

The characteristics of how the handle contracts is very similar.
How is not accepting your qualifying offer translated to holding out for more money? That makes no sense. Did he miss training camp or a large chunk of the season like Comrie has in the past? It isn't just one hold out that has raised questions about Comrie's character. Also makes you wonder how a player so young has been through three teams already...