HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Andrej Sustr and Lightning agree to terms (2 year ELC)

Old
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
Dont know much about him, anybody give me a brief description on him? He's that tall, please...does he hit?
From BoltProspect's twitter feed:
Quote:
Let that first Chara comparison be your last. He's not physical. Positioning, shot, and hockey IQ are strengths aside from size/reach.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Free high potential prospects are never a bad thing. Glad we signed him. I was pretty impressed by a lot of his skill set at training camp last year.

Now go get Dekeyser and with our top 5 draft pick we will have even more talent in the pipeline.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Ok, thank you to those that filled me in with a quote or a site to go to. Seems like a tall offensive dman with no physicality. Not too keen on another Hedman but he's sought after and we got him, thats great. Nothing leaving our team for him, another FA signing that will hopefully pan out. Will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL, cant see him playing this season in the NHL, who knows though. As one above me said, too bad Cooper wont have a hand in developing him with the Crunch.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Ok, thank you to those that filled me in with a quote or a site to go to. Seems like a tall offensive dman with no physicality. Not too keen on another Hedman but he's sought after and we got him, thats great. Nothing leaving our team for him, another FA signing that will hopefully pan out. Will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL, cant see him playing this season in the NHL, who knows though. As one above me said, too bad Cooper wont have a hand in developing him with the Crunch.
I know what you are getting at here, but honestly, I would love to have 6 Hedmans.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Very happy we signed him, hopefully he can make an immediate impact with this team. His scoring record this season is pretty solid for a defenseman in the NCAA. Let the "DeKeyser is way better or Sustr's overrated" remarks begin because we signed him

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Seriously though, what's he gonna hit? He weighs just barely more than Dana Tyrell...
Haha, didnt see this comment, guess that explains it. I'm excited to see him play, seems like a lot of talk, would be great if Cooper was the coach next year....one can only pray at this time.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I know what you are getting at here, but honestly, I would love to have 6 Hedmans.
I see your 6 Hedmans and raise you 6 Lupuls

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Haha me too, but maybe I should explain for those that dont know what I mean.

Hedman came into the league right away, made mistakes, still does and is developing, but now he wont have that safe haven if he needs with Cooper so he's going to go through what Hedman went through, but entirely with these coaches if he(Boucher) stays. And our record on developing dmen isnt too impressive, or just players in general, untill....Cooper.

But, another big guy that is a puck moving dman(Im guessing) that doesnt bring a lot of physicality to the table isnt necessarily a hindrance but I'd love to have a 6'8'' shutdown aggressive dman more than a PMD giant. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have either and happy we signed him and of course I hope he turns out great, but Im still waiting on the rugged dman to throw on a lightning jersey...not named Gudas

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I see your 6 Hedmans and raise you 6 Lupuls
Lol, are you kidding? I'd rather have 6 Rinaldos, because he does his job!

Old
03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Lol, are you kidding? I'd rather have 6 Rinaldos, because he does his job!

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Can we pair him with Gudas? Please? Like a Good Cop/Bad Cop thing?

We could call them the Czeching Line

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Haha me too, but maybe I should explain for those that dont know what I mean.

Hedman came into the league right away, made mistakes, still does and is developing, but now he wont have that safe haven if he needs with Cooper so he's going to go through what Hedman went through, but entirely with these coaches if he(Boucher) stays. And our record on developing dmen isnt too impressive, or just players in general, untill....Cooper.

But, another big guy that is a puck moving dman(Im guessing) that doesnt bring a lot of physicality to the table isnt necessarily a hindrance but I'd love to have a 6'8'' shutdown aggressive dman more than a PMD giant. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have either and happy we signed him and of course I hope he turns out great, but Im still waiting on the rugged dman to throw on a lightning jersey...not named Gudas
This team needs all the PMD it can get...despite not having a physical edge, I'm sure he can use that big frame effectively or will learn how to better utilize it.

I'd rather have a signed 6'8 college defenseman than nothing at all.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
crunchrulz

Very interesting signing. Kid is huge and still learning the game. Right handed shot that looks like it is on net more often than not. Definately will be a Cooper/Zettler project but with the potential to be a top four defenseman. Two nice contracts this week for SFY!

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Seriously if I hear one more person complain about Hedman i'm going to ****ing kneecap them. Everyone seems to want a Brayden Coburn, but the Coburns of the world are mouthbreathers that take stupid penalties.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Seriously if I hear one more person complain about Hedman i'm going to ****ing kneecap them. Everyone seems to want a Brayden Coburn, but the Coburns of the world are mouthbreathers that take stupid penalties.
perhaps you quoted the wrong individual?

Old
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
perhaps you quoted the wrong individual?
More of a general quote.

Heres a good read on the guy: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-watching-play

Got to watch him a couple of times... big, big man. Moves well but would probably look like a snail next to Hedman, really. Still very, very raw.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
This team needs all the PMD it can get...despite not having a physical edge, I'm sure he can use that big frame effectively or will learn how to better utilize it.

I'd rather have a signed 6'8 college defenseman than nothing at all.
Dont get me wrong, me too. And yes, we need a pmd with an actually decent shot that can break 50mph...Carle...I just worry about the developing part, I hope we have a good AHL coach in the wings or he just progresses and not stay stagnant or decline.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Nobody is complaining...simmer down, all I said was that I was hoping he'd bring physicality, unlike our other giant, which seems that he hasnt shown in his collegiate career according to what Ive read. And yes, Hedman is great and is progressing into a very good dman and our best this season but if he was more physical everybody would love it, so calm down?

Nobody mentioned anything about wanting a player like Coburn? Is it bad to have somebody use their size and hit, or at least use the body in the corners? No...so simmer down.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, me too. And yes, we need a pmd with an actually decent shot that can break 50mph...Carle...I just worry about the developing part, I hope we have a good AHL coach in the wings or he just progresses and not stay stagnant or decline.
Quote:
Heres a good read on the guy: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-watching-play

Got to watch him a couple of times... big, big man. Moves well but would probably look like a snail next to Hedman, really. Still very, very raw.
I'm really not surprised that he's not a can't miss prospect. There's not many that go completely unnoticed by every NHL GM in their draft eligibility years. Sustr is what he is - a big defenseman who was signed for nothing, that has good offensive potential who will have to refine his game and learn how to use his size effectively. He's a decent skater for his size, not fast like Hedman but there are very few at his size who can match his speed.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

What I'm wondering is where Hockey's Future will rank him among our blue liners (not that it really matters, just a personal point of interest). My assumption is between Blujus and Gudas?

Think Stevie knew we were definitely out of the Jones sweepstakes though.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
What I'm wondering is where Hockey's Future will rank him among our blue liners (not that it really matters, just a personal point of interest). My assumption is between Blujus and Gudas?

Think Stevie knew we were definitely out of the Jones sweepstakes though.
There's nothing wrong with signing a low risk, high reward college FA even if we were to win the Jones sweepstakes.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:11 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
There's nothing wrong with signing a low risk, high reward college FA even if we were to win the Jones sweepstakes.
Never said there was anything wrong with it...simply that Stevie also doesn't think we'll be in the Jones sweepstakes with Florida in the NHL.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I'm really not surprised that he's not a can't miss prospect. There's not many that go completely unnoticed by every NHL GM in their draft eligibility years. Sustr is what he is - a big defenseman who was signed for nothing, that has good offensive potential who will have to refine his game and learn how to use his size effectively. He's a decent skater for his size, not fast like Hedman but there are very few at his size who can match his speed.
Based on how HF ranks us he'd be a 4.5 D

Really, I think he COULD be a basically what we had hoped Aulie would be (but isn't and doesn't look like he'll reach) - a guy that can be a #4 defender that you can use for ES/PK time and maybe PP once in a while. Maybe more, i'm sure depending on whos scouting him. The thing he has going for him is obviously his giant reach and smarts, and hes not a big risk taker. I wouldn't say its easy to look good at the NCAA level all the time, but he came close to doing it. Always seemed to be in the right place and makes good passes.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Glad we signed him

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Can we pair him with Gudas? Please? Like a Good Cop/Bad Cop thing?

We could call them the Czeching Line
YES! This requires way more love

Trade forums saying he is signed for 2 years! I really like Sustr.

Hedman - Sustr
Aulie - Sustr
Gudas - Sustr

I am liking this signing. We have a good luck with FA prospects recently.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Never said there was anything wrong with it...simply that Stevie also doesn't think we'll be in the Jones sweepstakes with Florida in the NHL.
Technically, with the new rules, if we miss the playoffs we are in the Jones Sweepstakes.