HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atlantic Divison Outlook / Salary Caps

Old
08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
I think its becoming more clear to me that the Devils are banking on putting one or both of Mogilny and Malakhov on long term IR. I say this primarily because of Lou's contant statements of him expecting Malakhov and Mogilny to compete for a position in camp. We all know that Mogilny's Hip probably wont hold up.

I don't know if this is going to work, but it appears that this is the strategy, or at least part of it.

If Mogilny can bring cap relief with an injury replacement and McGillis is sent down on September 30, that is a clearing of 5.7 Million, before opening day....If the quotes of 46.5M cap number are correct and Mogilny brings any sort of IR cap relief that brings the Devils down to 40.8 along with McGillis being sent down, which would seem to be adequet to sign Gionta, Martin and Hale....Or least pretty darn close (probably need another 1Million).

Like I said, don't know if this going to work.....But the fact that Daly has mentioned/questioned where the Mogilny injury took place(whether is was an AHL injury or not) and secondly the fact that Lou keeps mentioning Mogilny will be expected in Camp....It seems pretty clear where the Devils organization is going with this.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
With so many cap figures floating around I've included a second cap source, this one seems more detailed, see links above.

(Also, check out Rodents new cap hit figure he found for the Rangers, and the spreadsheet that covers ALL the NHL teams, wow - see: - http://www.hockeyrodent.com/)
My salary cap thread regarding the Rangers is better

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Check it out RangerBoy. Your thread is linked. I shall remain loyal.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-04-2006 at 10:44 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree on PITT, although I still think they haven't improve the defense much (just like last season). I think that will be a area of concern.
For sure defense and maybe even in goal is a question mark for them. However, when playing the Penguins, especially if they add Malkin, get ready for some of the highest scoring games in the NHL next season.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
What about TOUGHNESS?

The Flyers took a hit in the toughness Dept by having Brashear leave but that also makes them a "smarter" team. They still have Gauthier we all know what he can do (Straka, how did he get up?), a big threat out their. When Forsberg is healthy he can dish it out and they have big bodies out there like Knuble and Stevenson (if signed). They are probably the most intimidating club in the Atlantic.
I am a Flyers fan and they are not the most intimidating team by any means, not even clsoe. They have 1 guy on d(gauthier) who strikes some fear. That is it. They are not in cap trouble either. They have the money to sign Gagne then they will be a little under the cap. Primeau will most certainly retire before the season and that will free up over 3mm for down the line. Desjardin if he signs will be for below 1mm as well. The d will be a weakness. Just to enlighten some of you how dont watch the Flyers, Rathje was fine up until Jan when he tore the labrum in his hip. when healthy he and Pitkannen played very solid. After he was hurt he played terrible. The problem will be the 2nd pairing which will be Hatcher and probably Meyer thougth not ethced in stone. That would be a good 3rd pair. The 3rd paring is Gauthier and Baumgartner,not a problem. They have a an abundance of forwards and I see them trading someone out to acquire a top 4 dman. Forsberg will never be healthy. He may be back by opening night or a few weks later. Scoring shouldn't be a problem. The bottom 2 lines have improved over last year by deafult and losing Brashear,Stevenson, Savage. If the 2nd year players struggle, very possible, it put a damper on things. Goalie will sort itself out.

I liek NJ if they dont lose anyone of substance. Rangers have improved but like the Flyers their d doesn't impress me that much. Shanahan was a nice pickup as Cullen, thoguh not sold completely on him yet. Isle will surprise some butno play offs. Pens have improved their bottom lines but d is still a mess and fleury didn't impress me either. Thier top6 isn't that great as well as contruscted today

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I am a Flyers fan and they are not the most intimidating team by any means, not even clsoe. They have 1 guy on d(gauthier) who strikes some fear. That is it. They are not in cap trouble either. They have the money to sign Gagne then they will be a little under the cap. Primeau will most certainly retire before the season and that will free up over 3mm for down the line. Desjardin if he signs will be for below 1mm as well. The d will be a weakness. Just to enlighten some of you how dont watch the Flyers, Rathje was fine up until Jan when he tore the labrum in his hip. when healthy he and Pitkannen played very solid. After he was hurt he played terrible. The problem will be the 2nd pairing which will be Hatcher and probably Meyer thougth not ethced in stone. That would be a good 3rd pair. The 3rd paring is Gauthier and Baumgartner,not a problem. They have a an abundance of forwards and I see them trading someone out to acquire a top 4 dman. Forsberg will never be healthy. He may be back by opening night or a few weks later. Scoring shouldn't be a problem. The bottom 2 lines have improved over last year by deafult and losing Brashear,Stevenson, Savage. If the 2nd year players struggle, very possible, it put a damper on things. Goalie will sort itself out.

I liek NJ if they dont lose anyone of substance. Rangers have improved but like the Flyers their d doesn't impress me that much. Shanahan was a nice pickup as Cullen, thoguh not sold completely on him yet. Isle will surprise some butno play offs. Pens have improved their bottom lines but d is still a mess and fleury didn't impress me either. Thier top6 isn't that great as well as contruscted today
Ok whos your most itimidating team in the Atlantic? The Isles maybe? The Devils? not seeing it. Maybe no one is.
I mentioned Primeau possibly alleviating some cap problems, but is he really that close to retirement? I dont see him going away that easily,but i guess he would for the team if its that bad.
Goalie will sort itself out? Sorry, but I've heard that before from the Flyers.
I can see them making a move for D but it all hinges on Gagne and Primeau.
The Flyers will def. be in the mix for the division theres no doubt about that NWO...

Old
08-04-2006, 11:09 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Ok whos your most itimidating team in the Atlantic? The Isles maybe? The Devils? not seeing it. Maybe no one is.
I'm not sure it matters anymore....The game seems to really favor smaller quicker players....There was time in the not distant past when small players couldn't go into certain of the ice without fear of life or limb and that doesn't seem to an issue as much any longer.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
jb**

Quote:
I mentioned Primeau possibly alleviating some cap problems, but is he really that close to retirement? Goalie will sort itself out? I've heard that before from the Flyers. I can see them making a move for D but it all hinges on Gagne and Primeau. The Flyers will def. be in the mix for the division theres no doubt about that NWO
Probably no one. Yes he has had symptoms all summer there is no way he make sit through camp. he has stated he will try 1 more tiem but it is inevitable. there is some specualtion Clarke already has the papers ready to send to the NHL. I have no problem with either goalie, that is what I mean by sorting itself out, 1 will be traded eventually, and they have more pressing needs than goalie. Gagne will be signed or someone will overpay and trade for him. Would not shock me if he is traded. It def doesn't hinge on primeau as he missed pretty much all of last year, he is in the rear view mirro IMO.

Old
08-04-2006, 11:15 AM
eco's bones

The Rangers certainly don't have anyone spectacular on their D. Much the same as I thought Parise could have done more for the Devils in his first season--I thought Tyutin could have shown more for us. Ward and Rachunek should be a good upgrade over Poti and Strudwick. Most of our D are the lunchpail type but all of them are legit NHL players. The 3 most likely to play point on the pwp are Rachunek, Tyutin and Roszival--maybe Cullen. It remains to be seen just how good any of them are. Overall we should have more grit. I think Lundqvist is going to be very solid. Him and Jagr are the keys to our team and this again is where I think the Islanders problems are--their keys are Yashin and DiPietro. The one has to stop going through the motions and the other has to be more consistent and I wouldn't expect more than one of those things to happen and maybe neither. More likely DiPietro will have a good season than Yashin. The Devils I expect will promote 3 or 4 guys anyway and they'll have to probably suffer some kind of major loss to get under the cap and the question here is how good those new guys really are and how ready they'll be. The Flyers--some of their D is good but Hatcher for one seems too slow and I don't think their goaltending (their real achilles heel for so long) is all that good. The Pens in 5 years (or less) could be the monster team of the league.

Last edited by eco's bones: 08-04-2006 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add word
eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Some health problems and defense are an issue.
Will they have a healthy Forsberg? Will Keith Primeau be back? Will Gagne be signed? A ton of question marks with the Flyers. They have signed Sanderson who really wont give them what they need upfront IMO. Baumgartner replaces Johnsson in a sense and that is nothing to write home about. Their defense was totally exposed in the playoffs and its lost its best offensive defensman and Desjardins isn't signed either. With not a bulk of cap room, theres a meek outlook they'll make any more huge additions to their roster, especially when trying to retain Gagne. But they have 3 million tied up with Primeau, which may become free depending on his status.
1. Flyers still were in top 7 scoring without Primeau who played 9 games last season. Having Primeau back will certenly help but if Flyers start the season with out him it's not a big deal.
2. Forsberg health is a major concern of course but you remove Jagr from the Rangers or Elias from the Devils and team will suffer. Flyers are still a solid team with out Peter he missed 20 games and probably will miss some games next season. This year with new minor editions Flyers will be much better if Forsberg goes down.
3. Sanderson will not give Carer and Umberger what they need? He brings speed and goal scoring. He can play at any position. At this point on paper each and every of these players will score 20 goals if not more.
3. Biggest loss is of course is Johnsson who missed about 35 games last season. He is a good player but Pitkanen is already #1. Signing Baumgartner and Meyer (suprised caming out of nowhere and partially replaced Johnsson production) will replace Johnsson. Signing Lars Johnsson is also overlooked he could be a surprise former #1 pick I mean Umberger was.
4. Desjardins is not a big loss. In last two season with the Flyers he missed about 80 games.
5. Hatcher and Rathje are slow however this team never had full roster Flyers were good in 1st 40 games and then losing Eric, Pitkanen, Johnsson, Rathje was playing on one leg with bad hip. 2 of them could be #1 D players on any team.

400 injuries last year give or take 20 game, more then any other team in NHL.
400/82games = roughly missing 5 players per game add rookies Carter and Richards and you get the picture thats 7 AHL or rookie players per game. Still managed to get 101 points developing 5 rookies. Rangers fans know something about injuries I mean if you look back at your 2003 season. You will now what I am talking about.

Lines
Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Sanderson Carter Umberger
Handzus Richards Kapanen
Nedved Robi Dimitrakos/Muraay
If Primeau makes it we are even stronger.
I am not saying we are the best just giving some info there.
P.S Rangers did make some very good moves. On paper I would say... #1 in division.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:22 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

So Clarke is pretty much pushing Primeau to retire NWO?... or as you said already "put the papers in" I guess he has to considering Primeau is leaning that way, smart for the cap, pretty much no brainer there. Kinda sucks though cause Primeau was a great clutch player, not a glorious way to go out.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-04-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old
08-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
1. Flyers still were in top 7 scoring without Primeau who played 9 games last season. Having Primeau back will certenly help but if Flyers start the season with out him it's not a big deal.
2. Forsberg health is a major concern of course but you remove Jagr from the Rangers or Elias from the Devils and team will suffer. Flyers are still a solid team with out Peter he missed 20 games and probably will miss some games next season. This year with new minor editions Flyers will be much better if Forsberg goes down.
3. Sanderson will not give Carer and Umberger what they need? He brings speed and goal scoring. He can play at any position. At this point on paper each and every of these players will score 20 goals if not more.
3. Biggest loss is of course is Johnsson who missed about 35 games last season. He is a good player but Pitkanen is already #1. Signing Baumgartner and Meyer (suprised caming out of nowhere and partially replaced Johnsson production) will replace Johnsson. Signing Lars Johnsson is also overlooked he could be a surprise former #1 pick I mean Umberger was.
4. Desjardins is not a big loss. In last two season with the Flyers he missed about 80 games.
5. Hatcher and Rathje are slow however this team never had full roster Flyers were good in 1st 40 games and then losing Eric, Pitkanen, Johnsson, Rathje was playing on one leg with bad hip. 2 of them could be #1 D players on any team.

400 injuries last year give or take 20 game, more then any other team in NHL.
400/82games = roughly missing 5 players per game add rookies Carter and Richards and you get the picture thats 7 AHL or rookie players per game. Still managed to get 101 points developing 5 rookies. Rangers fans know something about injuries I mean if you look back at your 2003 season. You will now what I am talking about.

Lines
Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Sanderson Carter Umberger
Handzus Richards Kapanen
Nedved Robi Dimitrakos/Muraay
If Primeau makes it we are even stronger.
I am not saying we are the best just giving some info there.
P.S Rangers did make some very good moves. On paper I would say... #1 in division.
Who replaces Forsberg if he's not ready for the opener, Carter? And I would guess that Handuz or Nedved returns to play center.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
jb**

Quote:
So Clarke is pretty much pushing Primeau to retire NWO?... or as you said already "put the papers in" I guess he has to considering Primeau is leaning that way, smart for the cap, pretty much no brainer there. Kinda sucks though cause Primeau was a great clutch player, not a glorious way to go out.
I think so, but he says it is up to keith and so on, Clarke is syaing all the right things, surprisingly. behind the scenes he has had to tell him to make a decision.The hit that knocked him out lsat year wasn't all that hard, so IMo no way he comes back. I dont think he was a clutch player. He had that great playoff run in 2004, besides that a nice player but not clutch or a star. Hs 3mm + will be huge come the deadline.

Old
08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Going to be a tough battle this year.

Rangers are most improved in the division. Hopefully Jagr will be 100%, Lundqvist on top of his game....Rangers will improve upon last year

The Devils will ice a good team, but they will lose some key player(s) AND overwork Marty. As usual they look at their backup as an afterthought. Eventually they will regret this philosophy. Marty is great, but the long season showed in his play against Carolina.

The Flyers could be improved just for being healthy. But Hitchcock is one step from gone and the Flyers training staff should all be replaced. How can one team lose so many man hours? Are their guys not in shape? They do have some solid players and when Forsberg comes back healthy at whatever point, it will be a HUGE shot of nitro.

Pittsburgh...the Dark Horse....Improved. Crosby, Malkin? Some inspired goaltending? They could do some damage

The Islanders will be the worst team in the NHL next year. However they will , AS ALWAYS, play the Rangers tough

08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Going to be a tough battle this year.

Rangers are most improved in the division. Hopefully Jagr will be 100%, Lundqvist on top of his game....Rangers will improve upon last year

The Devils will ice a good team, but they will lose some key player(s) AND overwork Marty. As usual they look at their backup as an afterthought. Eventually they will regret this philosophy. Marty is great, but the long season showed in his play against Carolina.

The Flyers could be improved just for being healthy. But Hitchcock is one step from gone and the Flyers training staff should all be replaced. How can one team lose so many man hours? Are their guys not in shape? They do have some solid players and when Forsberg comes back healthy at whatever point, it will be a HUGE shot of nitro.

Pittsburgh...the Dark Horse....Improved. Crosby, Malkin? Some inspired goaltending? They could do some damage

The Islanders will be the worst team in the NHL next year. However they will , AS ALWAYS, play the Rangers tough
who said Hitch is 1 step from gone? The reality is he is getting an extension.

Old
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I agree that Hitch is not anywhere near being gone. He did a masterfull job last year, given all of the injuries.

I would argue that by simply having a healthy Forsberg that the Flyers are the most improved team in the division. Granted, their achilles heel will still be a) goaltending b) the defense (in that order).

Unless Lou works his magic and only manages to have to move one forward (call him Madden) AND Parise steps up, the Devs are going to be a worse team than last year, despite the fact that Elias will be there for the full year. If Lou is forced to trade several pieces (Madden & Pandolfo and/or Rafalski), then then Devs will take a noticeable step back, IMO.

The Rangers have improved, but still have several questions and several isues. Will Prucha, Henke & Toots continue to develop? Will Henke be able to stand on his head again? Will the team play with any semblence of discipline? The defense, though improved, is still an overall fairly mediocre bunch, IMO. However, the team looks to be able to play a more North American game this year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree that Hitch is not anywhere near being gone. He did a masterfull job last year, given all of the injuries.

I disagree...I think a team with that many injuries has conditioning problems and that is part of Hitch's job to keep his team in shape.

Hitch also makes some bonehead moves. He continually played musical goalies and it backfired on him. He psyched both his goalies out in the end. I'm glad he's the Flyers coach. He is overrated in light of the new NHL.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
That's good for the rest of the division

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
I disagree...I think a team with that many injuries has conditioning problems and that is part of Hitch's job to keep his team in shape.

Hitch also makes some bonehead moves. He continually played musical goalies and it backfired on him. He psyched both his goalies out in the end. I'm glad he's the Flyers coach. He is overrated in light of the new NHL.
so when you tear your labrum, hurt your knee, shoulder and other limbs that has what to do with conditioning? pulled groin yes, the other injuries they had had nothing to do with conditioning. He didn't play musical goalies, it was Nittymakis job down the stretch and he didnt paly that well while Esche did. He really psyched them out. Watch some Flyers games first then you will know the story. I am gald he is ther caoch as well, who in the division is better? When you have won a cup and pruduced winning teams year after year I guess you do get overrated. Does he have faults? He sure does but still oneo fthe best in the league.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
still didnt answer the question, who said he is 1 step from gone?

Old
08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Fletch

Several of the injuries..

either couldn't be avoided, or were to people who have a history of being injured. It's truly amazing what Hitch was able to do with all the injuries, many of which were to key people. It also speaks to the depth of the bench in that organization. I'm hoping the Rangers are moving in that direction - still have a ways to go.

Cycle - just wondering why you think the Isles will be so bad? They were five wins from a playoff spot last season and I think they're actually better this year, with guys like York and Simon and a maturing Dipietro, than last season.

This is a very odd thread - too civilized given Rangers, Flyers and Devils fans all present... Is the Summer and the heat getting to us all, or have the kids just gone to camp for the last month?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
This is a very odd thread - too civilized given Rangers, Flyers and Devils fans all present... Is the Summer and the heat getting to us all, or have the kids just gone to camp for the last month?
I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping it wouldnt get nasty, but im sure sooner or later....

Old
08-04-2006, 02:40 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
He's not pushing him to retire, it's just pretty much a given at this point. If he was going to push him to retire he would have done so before the July 1 free agency period began.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
He's without question the best coach in the division. Trying to even debate that is a joke.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:43 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping it wouldnt get nasty, but im sure sooner or later....

or

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote