HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread 14.0 - The "Jinxed Undefeated Season" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Sprained MCL.

According to the Italian press, the Paponi deal seems done. 24 year old forward, former Italy U-20.
He also can play on the wing. I feel that he'll be used there mostly and that might mean the end of Justin Mapp if Paponi does good. I don't think he will see time as the striker unless management have zero faith in Wenger or wants to move him to another position.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

What happens to Wenger then ?

Old
03-21-2013, 12:07 AM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
He's not going anywhere, Di Vaio is almost certainly gone after this season and we are near or at the limit on international spots, since we had to trade to get as many as we have this year.

So he might be the undesputed no 1 in the end after all.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
It is a long season and there is no way Di Vaio can play every game. I believe Wenger still has lots of opportunity with the Impact. I also see him having the ability to be great off the bench when called upon.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Don't think Paponi is a pure striker.
Seems more like a Giovinco type. Hybrid CF/Winger/Striker.
Likely would play behind Di Vaio.
May help set up good runs for Di Vaio.

That's a great pick-up to be honest. There are a lot of players in Serie A who get stuck behind depth.

With regards to Wenger, I don't think in any other league he'd be a striker. They should try and deploy him somewhere else on the pitch if possible. Considering he is a physical beast and has played both defensive and attacking positions, maybe he could be a holding midfielder. Plus Wenger doesn't seem to suit the Impact's style. Italians tend to go for 1 striker and 1 trequartista.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
When would he be able to join the team?

Edit: Just read in the MLS thread on page 2 that he was on trial with Chicago last year.
Always a bit wary of players that have not had successful tryouts with other teams that are around the same level or a bit worse off. That being said perhaps the Italians on IMFC know something that Chicago missed or they plan to use him in a different capacity than Chicago had in mind.

Hope it works out.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Benzaza

Hello Super Fans,

CJAD 800 AM invited myself and Giovanni during half-time during the Impact vs TFC game to talk Impact and MLS. We should be there next Saturday.

CJAD 800 AM and Mount Royal Soccer at Half-Time : Soccer Gang Of 4

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2013...act-toronto-fc

Old
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Maybe Wenger should play mid ?

Guys like Wenger, Smith and Valentine are part of our future, I'm a little concerned that they aren't playing.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Bud2790

From what I've seen out of Wenger as a striker, nothing leads me to believe that he can't be a succesful striker for us in the future. He has all the tools necessary IMO

You guys remember his goal last year vs Lyon? http://tvasports.ca/videos/video-int...ier-de-limpact

Old
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

I remember suggesting to move him to another position and i got some crap for it.. at this point i think we will regret this pick... not that he cannot become a good player but because we arent playing him elsewhere.. he reminds me of a powerforward that plays north south only without good stickhandling, good heavy shooting,great physical presence but... doesnt
fit with our offensive style... wich plays a more pass and go game. he should play the position that either arnaud plays now or warner... thats were i would see him and really be out there for the headers in corners and such... a wall you cannot cross and that can distribute and shot occasionally with some authority.

Anyway thats just my opinion. I would have picked mattocks no doubt... any great player will leave eventually anyways.. if felipe is amazing he is gone... if wenger is amazing he could leave too... so why mattocks would be any different.. because he could be a mls star? Anyways. Still hoping we do somwthing out of him cause its not looking like a smart pick so far.. he was really marsch pick. The American boy.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 03-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Maybe Wenger should play mid ?

Guys like Wenger, Smith and Valentine are part of our future, I'm a little concerned that they aren't playing.
Guys like Rivas Nesta and Di Vaio won't be around for long, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
Guys like Rivas Nesta and Di Vaio won't be around for long, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
How we replace them is what worries me.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Montreal Impact FC

Quote:
How we replace them is what worries me.
The same ways we got those two... if we could get them with 0 credibility i dont see why it wouldnt be possible now that its pretty obvious we want to play as eurostyle as there is in mls...

Old
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
The same ways we got those two... if we could get them with 0 credibility i dont see why it wouldnt be possible now that its pretty obvious we want to play as eurostyle as there is in mls...
I guess guys like Ouimette and Tissot don't have a future here ?

Old
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Montreal Impact FC

Quote:
I guess guys like Ouimette and Tissot don't have a future here ?
Yes they do but not all of them will pan out.. berniers dont grow on trees. With the mls rules and requirements we wont be able to get euros on all spots.. who ever of our kids develop the best they will get there spot... but di vaio and nesta lets face it are another level.

Its not all the team its about pedigree players the ones that give us international credibility.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Yes they do but not all of them will pan out.. berniers dont grow on trees. With the mls rules and requirements we wont be able to get euros on all spots.. who ever of our kids develop the best they will get there spot... but di vaio and nesta lets face it are another level.

Its not all the team its about pedigree players the ones that give us international credibility.
I suppose, just don't want to see our future go to waste.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Montreal Impact FC

Quote:
I suppose, just don't want to see our future go to waste.
Believe me i want our academy players to succeed but at the same time i want the team to be the most competitive it can be, and it obvious saputo and co are doing just that... at the same time they didnt hesitate to bring bernier.. there is a real will to promote our academy players but so far no one is at the level to surpass the players in place... got to be patient. The mls in the future will undoubtly bring a new wave on international players.. but our academy will definetly also manufacture higher caliber players as well since we have better than ever coaching, trainers and so on. Its very exciting for soccer in canada and montreal... i just hope im not over optimisitic.

Our kids will have a true chance to become profesional footballers... i like it.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 03-21-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

That's true, the we've got to trust them. Here's hoping Tissot, Crepeau and Ouimetter pan out !

Old
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
JunglePete

That new guy Paponi looks like the Milan flop defender Acerbi and guys you worry too much about the future lets focus for now, THIS SEASON!

Old
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLTH View Post
That new guy Paponi looks like the Milan flop defender Acerbi and guys you worry too much about the future lets focus for now, THIS SEASON!
This 17 second clip shows you that he isn't a flop. Nothing more conclusive than this...

Old
03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
RoadTotheCup

The younger players will have some playing time, there is still lots of games to play.

They still need to deserve their place over the starting players. With time they gonna have chances and the best of them will get a starting role or be good subs.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
LeoHabs*

When Nesta, Di Vaio, Ferrari and Rivas leave the team, the Impact will obviously go get more similar experienced Serie A players. Maybe younger this time, kind of like Pisanu.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:36 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHabs View Post
When Nesta, Di Vaio, Ferrari and Rivas leave the team, the Impact will obviously go get more similar experienced Serie A players. Maybe younger this time, kind of like Pisanu.
It will be tough to get full-time serie A players.
Pisanu was a reserve player. That's what they can get.

What would I look for? 26-27 year old stand-out Serie B players or average players on relegation teams. These would be players who would be open for a move, but actually play. Also, if you're pigeon-holed as a serie-b player, there may be upside since you never got a shot will a major club.

If I were the Impact, I would have tried to pillage AS Lecce last year. This team not only was relegation, but got in big trouble with match-fixing. This resulted in a demotion to Serie-C1. You know players are itching to get out. Plus Southern Italy is poor, especially right now, so going to North America may be an enticing option.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

These younger players are still getting time in the reserve team and get to practice with the first team which is very important. They are only 3 games into the season... plenty of time for the younger players to get into the starting 11. And yes not all of them will make it as pros.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Maxpac

When are the reserve team games starting?

Closed Thread