HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie anyone?

Old
08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Matt13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
How about Philly?

What about it? He stayed a short while and was traded. What does that mean? What did you hear? Was it a coincidence? Or was it because Philly had a glut of centers? More than likely that has plenty to do with it.

Mikes numbers in Philly 21 games, 9 points.
Mikes numbers in Phx 28 games, 15 points.

Clearly he was not a good fit in Philly. Not that his PHX numbers were anything to brag about.

Last edited by Matt13: 08-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
How is not accepting your qualifying offer translated to holding out for more money? That makes no sense. Did he miss training camp or a large chunk of the season like Comrie has in the past? It isn't just one hold out that has raised questions about Comrie's character. Also makes you wonder how a player so young has been through three teams already...

"Mike, here is your qualifying offer"

"thanks Dean, but I don't think thats enough money. Lets talk about a better contract"

.......that is holding out and renegotiating. Clearly. It was settled before the season, yes, but it is clearly holding out for more money.

What if DL hadnt offered the bigger contract by training camp? Then what would have Mike been doing?

And to compare Comrie and Lowe fueding as a true holdout is laughable at best. The two didnt like each other ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Comrie ) and Lowe was very clear in his comments as I recall about not caring about Comrie sitting out a whole year. The only other more vocal holdout with both camps fighting in recent years was Lindros and Clarke.

He's only been through 2 teams. Currently he is still a Coyote.

Last edited by Matt13: 08-04-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
skolgoar

Quote:
How is not accepting your qualifying offer translated to holding out for more money? That makes no sense. Did he miss training camp or a large chunk of the season like Comrie has in the past? It isn't just one hold out that has raised questions about Comrie's character. Also makes you wonder how a player so young has been through three teams already...
The point is that Comrie didn't accept his QO, didn't go to arbitration, and held out when he didn't get the contract that he wanted. I don't understand the twisted logic that equates that type of holdout to one where a player goes to arbitration.

skolgoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And Comrie gets $3M from Phoenix. Somehow I think he got overpaid. Nagy is more deserving of a $3M contract.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:51 PM
skolgoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
And to compare Comrie and Lowe fueding as a true holdout is laughable at best. The two didnt like each other ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Comrie ) and Lowe was very clear in his comments as I recall about not caring about Comrie sitting out a whole year. The only other more vocal holdout with both camps fighting in recent years was Lindros and Clarke.

He's only been through 2 teams. Currently he is still a Coyote.
Yeah, I wouldn't count being in Philly either, since he wore out his welcome there in about 20 games (probably fewer since Clarke had to make a deal).

Comrie is considered to be a spoiled rich kid by Oiler fans because his dad is a big-time developer in Edmonton and there was a belief that his dad was trying to manipulate negotiations. In Philly, Clarke probably figured that he was running into another Lindros situation.

Most importantly, trading Cammy for Comry moves you two years closer to FA, not a smart idea with the new CBA moving the UFA age down.

skolgoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
And Comrie gets $3M from Phoenix. Somehow I think he got overpaid. Nagy is more deserving of a $3M contract.
Nagy's going to get more.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolgoar View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't count being in Philly either, since he wore out his welcome there in about 20 games (probably fewer since Clarke had to make a deal).

Link? Otherwise this is pure speculation.

Why couldnt it have to do with Primeu and Handzus and Roenick taking all the center spots and Comrie not having a place to play where he would excel?

Old
08-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Nagy's going to get more.

i doubt much though. He has only played in 50 or so games the last 2 seasons. It would be ashame if he is awarded more and cant prove he can play 70 plus games.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Osprey

Quote:
.......that is holding out and renegotiating. Clearly. It was settled before the season, yes, but it is clearly holding out for more money.
"Holding out" has come to mean, in hockey lingo, a restricted player who goes unsigned past the start of training camp. That's how it's used and that's how Ziggy is using it. You're using the literal definition of the term, but, when talking hockey, I don't think that it's fair to use it that way because it's come to mean something else... something strongly negative.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:02 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
i doubt much though. He has only played in 50 or so games the last 2 seasons. It would be ashame if he is awarded more and cant prove he can play 70 plus games.
I say 4 at least.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
"Holding out" has come to mean, in hockey lingo, a restricted player who goes unsigned past the start of training camp. That's how it's used and that's how Ziggy is using it. You're using the literal definition of the term, but, when talking hockey, I don't think that it's fair to use it that way because it's come to mean something else... something strongly negative.

sorry to use definitions.

so what is then that Cammalleri is doing that makes him so much better than Comrie?

Is the threating to go into juniors to force the Kings to sign him on his terms?

Or is it the "I want more money than what you offering. Hopefully we can work it out before the season starts, but if we don't.........?"

And why would a cancerous player get a 3 million dollar contract? Does this now mean that Comrie never held out with Coyotes?

Old
08-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It just means Phoenix is dumb enough to pay him $3M. They also signed Jeremy Roenick.

Cammalleri is two years younger and hasn't been a nuisance to deal with when it comes to character or contract disputes.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Osprey

Quote:
so what is then that Cammalleri is doing that makes him so much better than Comrie?
That's already been answered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust

Old
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
kingsfan25

To be fair, Edmonton used to have pretty tight purse strings...it's entirely possibly that if he had been elsewhere when his contract came up, there woud have been no holdout.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Matt13

Quote:
That's already been answered...

That's not an answer to Cammalleri's charteristics in negotiation contracts.

a) Cammalleri and Lombardi aren't fueding
b) Cammalleri was given what he wanted before training camp, so we will never know what Cam would have done come September.

But we do know that both players forced each team to sign them by threatening to go back to juniors. We do know that each player forced the GM to renegotiate. I dont know why that is skirted around.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Matt13

This article backs up more of my speculation then others.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/nhl...mrie_trade.htm

Quote:
Comrie is a restricted free agent without a contract, and has not played a game this year. Last week, it was reported that the Oilers agreed to trade his rights to Anaheim. Edmonton would have received junior forward Corey Perry and one or two first-round draft picks (depending on which version you believe). The deal was scuttled when Lowe demanded that Comrie make a cash payment to the Oilers to complete the deal.

At that point, the contract stalemate obviously turned personal.
Cash payment? Ever heard of that before?

Quote:
Philadelphia currently has Jeremy Roenick, Keith Primeau and Michal Handzus listed as centermen, and just recalled Patrick Sharp from the minors to fill out the position. Claude Lapointe, the nominal fourth-line center, left the team in early December to begin treatment in the NHL's substance abuse program. No date has been set for his return.

Also

http://www.breakawaymonthly.com/nhl.html

Quote:
Those injury problems we talked about last month? Yeah, it’s gotten worse.

The Philadelphia Flyers have suffered enough serious injuries in a three- week stretch that it caused a series of more personnel moves by general manager Bob Clarke.

This month’s injury woes started with Robert Esche who had all taken over the number job from Jeff Hackett. He suffered a grade two sprain to the MCL of his left knee in a 2-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

That precipitated Trader Bob’s first major move of the month at the All Star Break, sending center Mike Comrie to the Phoenix Coyotes for goaltender Sean Burke, right winger Branko Radivojevic, and the rights to unsigned forward prospect Ben Eager.

Ironically the reason for sending Comrie away after such a short stint was that the Flyers had enough center depth with the return of Claude Lapointe and the emergence of Patrick Sharp.

I feel like jt now. I'm going to go take a shower.

Last edited by Matt13: 08-04-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old
08-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Osprey

Quote:
b) Cammalleri was given what he wanted before training camp, so we will never know what Cam would have done come September.
I'm not sure how you happen to know that Cammalleri "was given what he wanted." Please explain. I find it a little hard to believe that $1.7M is all that he wanted. You make it sound like Lombardi completely caved into Cammalleri's demands to avoid an inevitable training camp holdout... come on.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Matt13

Quote:
I'm not sure how you happen to know that Cammalleri "was given what he wanted." Please explain. I find it a little hard to believe that $1.7M is all that he wanted. You make it sound like Lombardi completely caved into Cammalleri's demands to avoid an inevitable training camp holdout... come on.

I tend to think he was given more of what he wanted then not, since he signed the contract. Nobody goes into a contract negotiation wanting 3 million and settling with 1.7 million.

I think that goes without saying.......or maybe it has to be said.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I tend to think he was given more of what he wanted then not, since he signed the contract. Nobody goes into a contract negotiation wanting 3 million and settling with 1.7 million.
Yeah, but saying "he was given what he wanted" suggests that he made no sacrifice. That seems to be your angle: you don't want to give him any credit. I'm thinking that Cammalleri and his agent were probably asking for $2M, but, when Lombardi offered $1.7M and the arbitration date was almost there, Cammalleri accepted it to avoid arbitration souring the relationship between him and the club. It wouldn't hurt to give him a little credit or at least the benefit of the doubt.

Old
08-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Yeah, but saying "he was given what he wanted" suggests that he made no sacrifice. That seems to be your angle: you don't want to give him any credit. I'm thinking that Cammalleri and his agent were probably asking for $2M, but, when Lombardi offered $1.7M and the arbitration date was almost there, Cammalleri accepted it to avoid arbitration souring the relationship between him and the club. It wouldn't hurt to give him a little credit or at least the benefit of the doubt.

have you ever killed someone?

Old
08-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Matt13

Quote:

I should give him credit or the benefit of the doubt the way people have given Comrie in this thread? That's the whole point. WE DON'T KNOW all that we think we know. I'm playing Devils advocate to one of the Kings players and everybody seem to think that his (Cammalleri's) actions are fair, and par for the course, but Comrie, in similar actions are poor characteristics and automatically makes him a cancer.

"Comrie's a cancer blah blah blah, they sent out of Philly in 20 games blah blah blah".........I think I proved more so that it had more to do with available assets to move and Comrie's performance than he was a cancer to yet another team.

"Comrie was going to sign with a junior team blah blah blah", I point that Cammalleri did that too and people act like "well, that's ok".

Your thinking Cammalleri wanted 2 million. Good thought.

I can prove that Cammalleri signed for $1.7. It's more proof to the fact that he got what he wanted.

Old
08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Comrie and Cammalleri and close friends. I personally like Comrie quite a bit. I'd welcome it if we could trade another forward or two for another big body.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Osprey

Quote:
have you ever killed someone?
You know that village that's missing an idiot? That was my work.

Old
08-04-2006, 03:47 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
You know that village that's missing an idiot? That was my work.
You mean it was YOU that inspired that guy to be Ziggy Palffy's agent?

Old
08-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Creeping Death

Comrie is another guy who spends his summers in Los Angeles. It wouldnt surprise me to see him wind up on the Kings at some point.

Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote