HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Shepard

vCash: 500
Somehow I doubt Maloney will make Smith our highest paid player after one great season immediately followed up by a mediocre at best season. He'll either offer Smith a one year "prove it" contract, or let Smith go and find a goalie somewhere else.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
zz

What about Yandle + Sullivan for Gaborik? Pair him with Hanzal or Lombardi and Boedker.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
What about Yandle + Sullivan for Gaborik? Pair him with Hanzal or Lombardi and Boedker.
That would make the 'Yotes worse in the long run, raise payroll, and does not mean that will make them a playoff team. Don't think that overpaid Gaborik is a Tippet kinda guy...

and then again, the Rags really don't need to trade for Yandle

Talking about Yandle, Flyers 1st and Couturier may get it done at the draft. Dreaming of Barkov and Couturier on the Coyotes...

Last edited by DesertDawg: 03-18-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
^
Technically he has to refuse the qualifying offer which then makes him a RFA. I don't know if they change the rule, but a team can only take a player to arbitration once.
I don't see Yandle getting traded this season, but if someone is going to overpay it would be Holmgren.
Don't forget Sather. He loves to overpay and take poorer teams best players and even though it rarely pans out for him, he keeps doing it. But he practically cried like a baby when he was in Edmonton and Toronto scooped up CuJo. Guess he found he likes being on the other side of the pain.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

trade....for....SOMETHING! this team has NO finishers. We aren't going to make the playoffs without offense. 3 straight games....all i have to say. I don't know how you DON'T make a trade after getting shutout 3 games straight.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Mosby
Howl On

I'd definitely be OK with Yandle for Briere+Couturier.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:15 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
I'd definitely be OK with Yandle for Briere+Couturier.
That's not good value for Yandle. A trade like that can set back a franchise years.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Mosby
Howl On

I think there are a lot of variables to it. The Flyers seem like a natural trading partner for a few reasons.

With OEL locked up long-term, and with the young D depth, that makes Yandle more available.

Timing of this trade has a few options. Briere is a big-time playoff performer and that benefits the Coyotes now. You also have both the Coyotes and Flyers struggling. The Yotes can't score, and the Flyers have something like 2 games in the next 10 days, so lots of time for them to make a move to improve.

However if you do this trade at the draft you may be able to pry away Philly's 1st as well. Of course getting Briere at that time isn't as valuable because you don't have him for the playoffs. Other than that, his contract makes a lot of sense for the Coyotes because his cap hit is quite a bit higher than his actual salary.

We all know the benefits of a young scoring forward like Couturier so there is no need to list them here. There is though the added bonus that he's from Phoenix and a tidbit like that could be well utilized off-ice, assuming he performs on ice.

I'm not sure you could get much more than Briere+Couturier (or Briere, Couturier and a 1st at the draft) for Yandle, particularly given that right now we wouldn't exactly be selling high on Yandle either.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
If we're trading with Philly, I would much rather have Brayden Schenn than Couturier. He's been much better than him this season. He's the better player with the higher offensive ceiling.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:49 AM

That's interesting, I didn't know that Couturier was born here in Phoenix. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it makes sense since his dad played for the Runners.

Is Couturier the first Phoenix-born player to really make it in the NHL? I remember a big deal a couple of years back about David Spina making it to the NHL and I'm not sure he even played a game.

I think one of the Moffat's made it to the NHL maybe for LA or something. I don't recall.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
ducky

It seems to be the most logical choice - trade Yandle for a top line forward. That forward has to be a sure thing though. Unless GMDM goes for a total rebuild / youth movement with a new playing style...

I do not want to see a repeat of the Selanne (top line star player) for Tverdovsky and Kilger (young players with upside) trade. Worst trade in franchise history

Old
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
If we're trading with Philly, I would much rather have Brayden Schenn than Couturier. He's been much better than him this season. He's the better player with the higher offensive ceiling.
Because Couturier made it to the NHL a year earlier than Schenn people forget that Couturier is actually two years younger than Schenn. Brayden was taken the same year as OEL and is just now cracking the NHL roster full time. Couturier was taken after OEL and after Gormley. The same year as Connor Freaking Murphy. He's a baby. He's got a loooooooooong way to go before he peaks as an NHL player. This should really be his rookie season, anyway.

Now I'm not saying Couturier is the better asset. It is too early to tell. It is incredibly impressive to see an 18 year old kid step right into the NHL from the Q of all leagues, and become the shut down center on a Stanley Cup contender while still managing to pot 10-15 goals. In junior he was seen as an offensive dynamo. That upside is still there. He could possibly, potentially be Martin Hanzal but with twice the points. He's a damn good prospect. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by rt: 03-19-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You guys do realize if we did Yandle for Briere and Couturier that the entire province of Quebec would start celebration riots in the streets, right? Haha.

Anyway, I doubt Briere waives his NMC to come back here. His kids are in Philly and apparently is ex wife may or may not be the most accommodating when it comes to custody customization to fit his crazy work schedule. Also, it just doesn't make financial sense. He'd be way better off forcing the Flyers to use one of their amnesty buyouts on him. He could pocket that five million they owe him over the next two year and then sign a new deal somewhere near Philly (Jersey maybe?) for probably seven million over those same two years. Takes home twelve instead of five. It just makes sense.

Then again, Couturier may be the ace in the hole in all of this. Couturier has been living with Briere the last two seasons, IIRC. Who knows how that might impact the decision of his mentor?

Old
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Because Couturier made it to the NHL a year earlier than Schenn people forget that Couturier is actually two years younger than Schenn. Brayden was taken the same year as OEL and is just now cracking the NHL roster full time. Couturier was taken after OEL and after Gormley. The same year as Connor Freaking Murphy. He's a baby. He's got a loooooooooong way to go before he peaks as an NHL player. This should really be his rookie season, anyway.

Now I'm not saying Couturier is the better asset. It is too early to tell. It is incredibly impressive to see an 18 year old kid step right into the NHL from the Q of all leagues, and become the shut down center on a Stanley Cup contender while still managing to pot 10-15 goals. In junior he was seen as an offensive dynamo. That upside is still there. He could possibly, potentially be Martin Hanzal but with twice the points. He's a damn good prospect. That's all I'm saying.
I'm aware of the potential for Couturier to be another Hanzal with more offense, I do like him as a player. I watch a lot of Flyers games (used to watch a lot of Avs games too, but I don't live in New Mexico anymore) and I just don't see him being more than a 45 point player down the line, I could be wrong and I probably am. I always come away being much more impressed by Schenn's speed and tenacity. He's always flying all over the ice creating chances (Matt Read as well). I guess you can't really go wrong with either, just a matter of opinion I guess.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Tyler Durden

Free Agents Coyotes should target in the Summer?

Who do you think are some free agents come summer that the Phoenix Coyotes should target? Forwards? Defence? Goalies Who can we afford? For how much and how long? We have enough to spend in the payroll, last I checked $19.65 million cap space.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:04 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 442
We need an owner first. Until then it's Don Maloney dumpster diving. Sometimes it works(Ray Whitney) and sometimes it doesn't(Steve Sullivan).

Old
03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Tyler Durden

So the Coyotes can't sign any big names like Semin, Boyes, Iginla?

Old
03-21-2013, 08:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
So the Coyotes can't sign any big names like Semin, Boyes, Iginla?
If we don't relocate, and are left to sit in Glendale for another lame duck season, we will actually need to trim a little salary.

I'd probably move Moss for a pick, and let Sullivan walk.

I'd try my best to re-sign Gordon, though. Torres, too, but only if he'll take a small cut or at least fore go any kind of a raise.

Smith isn't earning himself a raise, so he might not be too tough to sign, after all.

Boedker is obviously due a fat raise.

Lombardi would be wise to take a very small one year deal to prove he can stay healthy and productive. Maybe a million and a half?
UFAs:
Torres - 2yrs, 3mil (1.5 and 1.5)
Smith - 3yrs, 10mil (3.0, 3.5, and 3.5)
Lombardi - 1yr, 1.5mil (1.5)
Gordon - 3yrs, 6mil (2.0, 2.0, and 2.0)

RFA:
Boedker - at least three million in year one, I'd think, right?

Boedker-Hanzal-Vrbata
XXXXXX-Vermette-Doan
Torres-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Klinkhammer-Gordon-Chipchura
Bissonnette

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Klesla
Stone

Smith
XXXX

...in this scenario, I'd likely move Klesla for that missing winger. Gets Stone in the everyday line-up and allows Rundblad to sub in and out as the all-season reserve D.

If Klesa can net us a 2nd line winger that costs less than himself, we might actually end up under budget.

If Klinkhammer fizzles out down the stretch, maybe move Chipchura to the left side and put one of Brown or Johnson in that 4th RW spot.

Last edited by rt: 03-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Lets not look too far ahead.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
We need an owner first. Until then it's Don Maloney dumpster diving. Sometimes it works(Ray Whitney) and sometimes it doesn't(Steve Sullivan).
Do we know what day Maloney's contract is officially up?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Do we know what day Maloney's contract is officially up?
June 1st, I'd imagine. He was introduced June 2nd way back when. That gives four weeks until the draft. Ouch. If the team is to be moved, he and Tippett will be released/re-signed before then. May is where answers to just about everything await.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:57 PM
XX
Lots of Try

• Regular scouts at the Kings Coyotes game: Canucks, Blues, Bruins and Predators. Eastern non-regulars: 2 Jets, Flyers, Lightning, 2 Rangers and Sabres. West non-regulars: 2 Blackhawks, Wild and Blue Jackets.
  • Coyotes GM Don Maloney was at the Penguins game. The two have traded before. The Penguins are looking for defensive depth and an upgrade to their 3rd and 4th lines.
  • Craig Custance (ESPN) also seems to think that Mike Smith might be available at the deadline, along with Sullivan.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:33 AM
ducky

5 losses in a row. Getting into selling territory.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:45 AM
XX
Lots of Try

11th in the west, tied with Nashville. Every team ahead AND behind has games in hand. You lose against the Wings, you fold. And that's for the best, whether this team is here next year or not.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Sellers right now. Cant really add anything salary wise now and I know you owe it to the season ticket holders but a rental for 10 games wont help you. If the goal is to get to 8th, then this is not a team that can shutdown an offensive team at the top.

Closed Thread