HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulldogs add veteran player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2006, 09:05 AM
  #1
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Bulldogs add veteran player

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690756

Basically, the Habs signed a veteran forward, Ajay Baines, to give the Bulldogs some depth. I loved these comments from Baines: "Bob Gainey called in mid July and expressed interest in me coming and joining Hamilton. That's the earliest that a team has expressed interest in me. And obviously with Bob's credentials and the fact that Montreal is a real professional organization I was really excited about it. Nothing against Chicago but the way things have been run there the last few years, this is a breath of fresh air for me."

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:26 AM
  #2
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690756

Basically, the Habs signed a veteran forward, Ajay Baines, to give the Bulldogs some depth. I loved these comments from Baines: "Bob Gainey called in mid July and expressed interest in me coming and joining Hamilton. That's the earliest that a team has expressed interest in me. And obviously with Bob's credentials and the fact that Montreal is a real professional organization I was really excited about it. Nothing against Chicago but the way things have been run there the last few years, this is a breath of fresh air for me."
Hmm. Not sure how to take this one. In Manlow and Baines at least we have credible guys who are above what we had last year with Vandermeer/Paul/Aitken/Barnes. But secretly I was hoping for somebody a little flashier and more able to be a star. These guys are good glue, good middle-of-the-lineup guys (and that's better than bottom-of-the-lineup like we had last year), but still just shy of my ultimate hopes. I like Baines, he's a bit of sparkplug player, something like a Begin-for-the-AHL. But you know, we do have Lapierre, Ferland, Chipchura, Lemieux, Milroy types already in the middle of our lineup, so I'm not sure adding Manlow and Baines to that group was quite our area of greatest need. Flip side, I guess if Kostitsyn, Locke, and Grabovsky are all in Hamilton, they will really get leaned on heavily for the offense now, with no big name veteran to challenge them.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
  #3
The CUBE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hmm. Not sure how to take this one. In Manlow and Baines at least we have credible guys who are above what we had last year with Vandermeer/Paul/Aitken/Barnes. But secretly I was hoping for somebody a little flashier and more able to be a star. These guys are good glue, good middle-of-the-lineup guys (and that's better than bottom-of-the-lineup like we had last year), but still just shy of my ultimate hopes. I like Baines, he's a bit of sparkplug player, something like a Begin-for-the-AHL. But you know, we do have Lapierre, Ferland, Chipchura, Lemieux, Milroy types already in the middle of our lineup, so I'm not sure adding Manlow and Baines to that group was quite our area of greatest need. Flip side, I guess if Kostitsyn, Locke, and Grabovsky are all in Hamilton, they will really get leaned on heavily for the offense now, with no big name veteran to challenge them.
But isn't that what is best for those players?

I mean I'mpretty Bob know;s it. It will give them a change to get quality icetime and leanr the responsabilites of being the TOP 6 forwards. Personally I think that this is the best thing for them and it will simply help their development even more.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:35 AM
  #4
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CUBE View Post
But isn't that what is best for those players?

I mean I'mpretty Bob know;s it. It will give them a change to get quality icetime and leanr the responsabilites of being the TOP 6 forwards. Personally I think that this is the best thing for them and it will simply help their development even more.
With Manlow and Baines, Hamilton now have a lot more depth at forward. It will put a lot of pressure on guys like Urquhart and Lambert.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:22 AM
  #5
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Grabovski, Locke, Manlow, Baines, Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Urquhart = too many centres!


I expect Lapierre to take the LW, Urquhart probably not even make the team, but what about the other 6 guys. I don't want guys like Grabovski or Aubin to develop as wingers when they are natural centremen just because guys like Baines were signed.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
  #6
Bryzga lol*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
I see an above .500 team this year in hamilton...this team is looking very good.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
  #7
VanNistelrooy
Registered User
 
VanNistelrooy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Habs Land
Posts: 2,490
vCash: 500
Grabovski can play LW too.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
  #8
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Grabovski, Locke, Manlow, Baines, Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Urquhart = too many centres!


I expect Lapierre to take the LW, Urquhart probably not even make the team, but what about the other 6 guys. I don't want guys like Grabovski or Aubin to develop as wingers when they are natural centremen just because guys like Baines were signed.
Grabovsky is a LW and there were words around here at time that Chipchura could be switched to LW because his game was more suited for that position, just like Higgins. And look what Higgins is becoming.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
  #9
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Grabovski = Wing
Locke = C
Manlow = Wing
Baines = C
Chipchura = C
Lapierre = Habs
Aubin=C
Urquhart = ECHL

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
  #10
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Did you notice the Omaha team name???? What is that? A Saudi Arabia Oil Company?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:49 PM
  #11
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Did you notice the Omaha team name???? What is that? A Saudi Arabia Oil Company?

Ak-Sar-Ben

Nebarska

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:08 PM
  #12
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Grabovski = Wing
Locke = C
Manlow = Wing
Baines = C
Chipchura = C
Lapierre = Habs
Aubin=C
Urquhart = ECHL

Grabovski = I thought I heard he struggled on the wing sometime last season?

Manlow = Hasn't he been a centre his entire decade-long career?

Lapierre = Habs? Gonna be tough to get any games in alongside Murray, Downey, Kostitsyn, Ferland...aside from injuries I see him in the AHL alot of the year

Urquhart = agreed

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
  #13
gars59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Grabovsky-Locke-Kostitsyn
Lemieux-Chipchura-Manlow
Milroy-Baines-Lapierre
Lambert-Aubin-D'Agostini


Jancevski Archer
Sanford-???
Benoit Gleed

Danis
Halak



Ferland and Cote will be in mtl

We need defense korpikari ? emelin ? o'byrne ?

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
  #14
HabSim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sherbrooke QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Ak-Sar-Ben

Nebarska
Oh boy...

HabSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
  #15
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hmm. Not sure how to take this one. In Manlow and Baines at least we have credible guys who are above what we had last year with Vandermeer/Paul/Aitken/Barnes. But secretly I was hoping for somebody a little flashier and more able to be a star. These guys are good glue, good middle-of-the-lineup guys (and that's better than bottom-of-the-lineup like we had last year), but still just shy of my ultimate hopes. I like Baines, he's a bit of sparkplug player, something like a Begin-for-the-AHL. But you know, we do have Lapierre, Ferland, Chipchura, Lemieux, Milroy types already in the middle of our lineup, so I'm not sure adding Manlow and Baines to that group was quite our area of greatest need. Flip side, I guess if Kostitsyn, Locke, and Grabovsky are all in Hamilton, they will really get leaned on heavily for the offense now, with no big name veteran to challenge them.
Are far as I understand Baines is a Montreal/Hamilton signing and not Micheal Andlauer's second pick. So I would still expect to see a second player of Manlow's calibre signed before the season starts.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
  #16
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan View Post
Are far as I understand Baines is a Montreal/Hamilton signing and not Micheal Andlauer's second pick. So I would still expect to see a second player of Manlow's calibre signed before the season starts.
The only problem being that it almost has to be on D now, given our saturation up front...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
  #17
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The only problem being that it almost has to be on D now, given our saturation up front...
I wouldn't mind a Delmore type signing for the D. Anyone know if he's still under contract?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:09 PM
  #18
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The only problem being that it almost has to be on D now, given our saturation up front...

True, unless a trade was to happen opening up a spot at forward???? Either way I like the look of this years team much better than last seasons.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
  #19
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I wouldn't mind a Delmore type signing for the D. Anyone know if he's still under contract?
TB already signed him this summer. But there are others. Jamie Rivers and Rory Fitzpatrick might be a couple to think about, who could also sub up top if necessary. (Assuming that Andlauer would be satisfied if the Habs just signed enough guys and he didn't have to pay out for his 2nd hired gun).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:19 PM
  #20
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Did you notice the Omaha team name???? What is that? A Saudi Arabia Oil Company?

If I have the story right the team had to legally use ak-sar-ben. The story as I recall started when the owners wanted to call the team the Nebraska Knights, but they found out a lawyer had the rights to that name because of prevous sports team that he once owned. The lawyer wanted a large sum of money to release the name rights so the owners did some fancy footwork to get around it.
It seems there is a community/charity group that has been around since the late 1800's named the ak-sar-ben knights. This group had the rights to the 2 word name and for a small donation they would let the owner use the name ak-sar-ben knights.
Since this was the only way they could see to calling the team the knights they went that route but have to use the word ak-sar-ben too.
I wish I could remember where I read this but it has escaped me for the time being.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.