HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Fans of relocated teams

Old
03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
buketdude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Always wondered. Do you think a team would work (again) in Hartford? What's the area like for hockey-lovers, arena? Etc...
There are a lot of hockey lovers around here. I would say maybe 60% follow a team...20% stopped when whalers left..and 20% just work to build sport up through youth hockey and maybe go to some AHL games in state.

Almost all the shopping\restaurants have left hartford into the suburbs so not sure how even a renovated Civic Center (now called XL center) would work. I would expect we would need a new arena and I cannot see that happening without 90% private funding. Not to get political, but CT is not a very friendly place to invest money so I do not see this happening...we went from no income tax and few laws/regulations 20 plus years ago to insanity now..

buketdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:23 PM
brianscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
Whalers fan here....stopped following hockey for a couple years..became a Wild fan when they entered NHL.....still never giving up hope the Whalers will return..and will always be a Wild fan
I live in an AHL New England based city and you'd be amazed how many Whaler t shirts and jerseys still show up at games.

This was especially true when kevin Dineen coached the Portland Pirates for several years.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
There are a lot of hockey lovers around here. I would say maybe 60% follow a team...20% stopped when whalers left..and 20% just work to build sport up through youth hockey and maybe go to some AHL games in state.

Almost all the shopping\restaurants have left hartford into the suburbs so not sure how even a renovated Civic Center (now called XL center) would work. I would expect we would need a new arena and I cannot see that happening without 90% private funding. Not to get political, but CT is not a very friendly place to invest money so I do not see this happening...we went from no income tax and few laws/regulations 20 plus years ago to insanity now..
Thanks for the info buket - that's a shame. Still see a few Whalers jerseys here and there. I've heard it's a hockey mad area -maybe one day...

03-20-2013, 06:49 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

haha Thrasher fan draft sounds great. The Whalers had the first opposing goalie that I despised, Mike Liut. That whole team ruined years of my childhood as a Sabre fan, Tippet, Babych, Francis.. even Sidorkiewicz, loved the uniforms tho.

yes, i still hold a grudge against him

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
SealsFan

As a California Seals fan, I made the transition to rooting for the Barons when they were moved to Cleveland. Felt a little sad for the move but since I didn't live in either city it didn't affect my rooting, which was always long-distance.

However, I couldn't make the shift to the Northstars because the Barons didn't move, they disbanded and the best players were picked up by Minnesota. So it didn't feel like my team anymore. Not that I had anything against the Stars, always liked them back in the day, had nice unis and were an original-six expansion team, what's not to like. But it just felt like I didn't have a team anymore and I wandered away from hockey. I hated the Islanders too and them having all that success didn't help either.

I did pick up interest in hockey again when the Sharks came along, kinda felt like the Seals all over again. I followed hockey up until 2000 then my interest completely fell off. Too many teams, too many things about the modern game that are not appealing to me. I remain an old codger who's only interested in old-time hockey...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
As a California Seals fan, I made the transition to rooting for the Barons when they were moved to Cleveland. Felt a little sad for the move but since I didn't live in either city it didn't affect my rooting, which was always long-distance.... I did pick up interest in hockey again when the Sharks came along, kinda felt like the Seals all over again. I followed hockey up until 2000 then my interest completely fell off. Too many teams, too many things about the modern game that are not appealing to me. I remain an old codger who's only interested in old-time hockey...
Strange, that someone from Long Island with the Islanders right there,... goes with a team like 3000 miles away. Oddball collection of players, eccentric owner, right off the wall uni's, well, I guess that says it all right there. Whats not to like? Bunch of kids like that in Toronto as well as I recall. Showing up at school in a Les Binkley powder blue Penguins jersey or whatever. Just the greatest goalie ever! Til next week.... #6 Seals jersey. Who's that? (you foolishly ask).... Wally. Wally Boyer. All Star Centre. You obviously dont know a thing about hockey do you?... unhuh. See you out back by the water fountain at 3:30 punk.

And ya, I hear you on that one, old-time hockey, lack of interest in the modern game to some extent. I actually more or less tuned out really seriously following the game myself sometime around 1980 after 20 years of following the Leafs pretty religiously. The Diques/Habs series, Canada Cup's, a few players, teams, series catching my attention over the intervening 33yrs sure enough, but not to that extent that I once engaged. The business side of the game though, that Ive followed very closely, both personal & professional interest. Not "coincidentally" from about 1980 on and coinciding with my somewhat tempered interest in following what was happening on the ice as what was going on off of it had a very dark side to it. Not good for the game, retired or then current players, the fans.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:06 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
As a California Seals fan, I made the transition to rooting for the Barons when they were moved to Cleveland. Felt a little sad for the move but since I didn't live in either city it didn't affect my rooting, which was always long-distance.

However, I couldn't make the shift to the Northstars because the Barons didn't move, they disbanded and the best players were picked up by Minnesota. So it didn't feel like my team anymore. Not that I had anything against the Stars, always liked them back in the day, had nice unis and were an original-six expansion team, what's not to like. But it just felt like I didn't have a team anymore and I wandered away from hockey. I hated the Islanders too and them having all that success didn't help either.

I did pick up interest in hockey again when the Sharks came along, kinda felt like the Seals all over again. I followed hockey up until 2000 then my interest completely fell off. Too many teams, too many things about the modern game that are not appealing to me. I remain an old codger who's only interested in old-time hockey...
That's because they are the Seals. IMHO the Sharks should be considered an extension of the Seals franchise, and here's why:

After Cleveland, the Barons were going broke and were bought up by George and Gordon Gund... who already owned the North Stars. The two teams were merged. At the beginning of the 1990s, the Gunds tried to move the North Stars to San Francisco, only to be stopped by the league and a compromise worked out; the Gunds would receive a new franchise (now in San Jose) and a new owner would be found for the North Stars. The team's player assets were split in a dispersal draft, and then an expansion draft was held where both teams received new players.

Full circle.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
hockeypuck2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
That's because they are the Seals. IMHO the Sharks should be considered an extension of the Seals franchise, and here's why:

After Cleveland, the Barons were going broke and were bought up by George and Gordon Gund... who already owned the North Stars. The two teams were merged. At the beginning of the 1990s, the Gunds tried to move the North Stars to San Francisco, only to be stopped by the league and a compromise worked out; the Gunds would receive a new franchise (now in San Jose) and a new owner would be found for the North Stars. The team's player assets were split in a dispersal draft, and then an expansion draft was held where both teams received new players.

Full circle.

I view the Sharks as the predecessor team to the Seals.

hockeypuck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:34 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Many Thrasher fans switched to Nashville since geographically for most it is the closest NHL city, some stayed with the team and became Jets fans. Alot also have put their allegiances with the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:15 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
#6 Seals jersey. Who's that? (you foolishly ask).... Wally. Wally Boyer. All Star Centre. You obviously dont know a thing about hockey do you?... unhuh. See you out back by the water fountain at 3:30 punk.
Now how on earth did you know that I did have a game-worn #6 Seals jersey....i.e. the teal version of yer favorite player, LEN FRIG!

Re: The Islanders. Playing in Brooklyn, they are still technically on the land mass known as Long Island.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote