HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 08:59 PM
  #301
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I love Talbot, I do, but I'm not interested in giving up assets for a pure bottom six player. Yeah he brings leadership and a bit of heart and soul, but right now he's not what we need.

Right now, we need that elusive 2nd/3rd line physical LWer who can drive to the net and dig pucks out. Also needs to have some semblance of hands.

If that isn't available, seek a top-4 puck moving D-man for the backend.

I think apart from that, we'll sit tight. We already have too much clutter in the bottom six. Adding another bottom sixer won't help that. No matter how many nice intangibles he brings.
We have that guy though, he wears #91

Groucho is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:10 PM
  #302
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So Talbot might be available.. N. Schultz for Talbot?

Then Belanger for D. Murray?
I wish

topchowda is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
  #303
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We have that guy though, he wears #91
I'd argue that he isn't there yet. But this really isn't an 'all or nothing' year. If we make the playoffs, it's definitely a bonus. But acquiring a player who in turn deprives a young guy playing well of valuable icetime would be counter-productive.

He's taking steps forward. Let him develop.

belair is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
  #304
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
For those of you saying that Tambo is not doing anything and is "sitting on his hands", here is a complete list of the trades that have happened so far this season.

Out of 31 trades that have taken place, the Oil have been involved in 2 of them, and I would argue that they were 2 of the better pick ups for players that have moved.



Florida acquires D T.J. Brennan for a 5th-Round Pick (2013)

Anaheim Acquires F David Steckel for F Ryan Lasch & 7th-Round Pick (2014)

Washington Acquires D Chay Genoway for Conditional 7th-Round Pick (2014)

Toronto Acquires D Kevin Marshall for F Nicolas Deschamps - Minors

Ottawa Acquires F Matt Kassian for 6th-Round Pick (2014)

Columbus Acquires F Matthew Ford for Future Considerations - Minors

Winnipeg Acquires F Tomas Kubalik for F Spencer Machacek - Minors

Edmonton Acquires F Mike Brown for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2014)

Calgary Acquires F Brian McGrattan for D Joe Piskula

Montreal Acquire F Michael Ryder & 3rd-Round Pick (2013) for F Erik Cole

Philadelphia Acquires F Simon Gagne for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2013)

Calgary Acquires F Mike Testwuide for F Mitch Wahl - Minors

Nashville Acquires D Scott Ford for F Jani Lajunen - Minors

Montreal Acquires G Dustin Tokarski for G Cedrick Desjardins - Minors

New Jersey Acquires F Alexei Ponikarovsky for 7th-Round Pick (2013) 4th-Round Pick (2014)

Winnipeg Acquires F Eric Tangradi for 7th-Round Pick (2013)

Los Angeles Acquires D Keaton Ellerby for 5th-Round Pick (2013)

NY Islanders G Tim Thomas for 2nd-Round Pick (2014 or 2015)

Anaheim Acquires D Ben Lovejoy for 5th-Round Pick (2014)

New Jersey Acquires F Andrei Loktionov for 5th-Round Pick (2013)

Minnesota Acquires F Mike Rupp for F Darroll Powe F Nick Palmieri

Washington Acquires F Peter LeBlanc for F Mathieu Beaudoin - Minors

Washington Acquires F Casey Wellman for F Zach Hamill - Minors

Dallas Acquires F Carl Sneep for Conditional 7th-Round Pick - Minors

Pittsburgh Acquires F Chad Kolarik January 24 F Benn Ferriero - Minors

Chicago Acquires G Henrik Karlsson for 7th-Round Pick (2013) - Minors

Tampa Bay Acquires F Jean-Francois Jacques for Future Considerations - Minors


Phoenix Acquires F Matthew Lombardi for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2014)

San Jose Acquires F Tommy Grant, Conditional Draft Pick (2014) for F Brandon Mashinter - Minors

Edmonton Acquires D Mark Fistric for 3rd Round Pick (2013)

Carolina Acquires F Kevin Westgarth for F Anthony Stewart 4th-Round Pick (2013) 6th-Round Pick (2014)

Philadelphia Acquires G Brian Boucher D Mark Alt for F Luke Pither



One could argue that the Oil might be able to use a couple guys off of this list, but there hasen't been any earth shattering moves or anything involving anyone that would really solve any of the Oilers problems right now.

There are too many teams that still think they're "in it" and the players just aren't moving right now. Once a few teams start to drop off in the next week we may see more moves start to happen.

And as Dan Rosen quoted Tambellini at the GM meetings, it sounds like if he can pick something up to help the team moving forward he will do it.

There's just nothing out there right now.
Great post. Really puts Tambo's lack of movement in perspective to all the irrational doom and gloom posters that keep wanting him to make moves, as if they know that moves exist. I've bolded as well the MINOR LEAGUE trades to put even more perspective on this. So out of those 31 trades this year, 12 were for minor leaguers. This means, that out of the 19 trades made this year that included players that would contribute at the NHL level, Edmonton made 2 of them! And both trades improved our team, even if it was only slightly. GOOD JOB TAMBO.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
  #305
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Why would they come out and say that they're not looking to solve any of the problems this year via trade? Are they trying to lose on purpose?

I'm not even being a smartass or anything. Trying to lose on purpose is violation of the competition rules.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
  #306
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
Why would they come out and say that they're not looking to solve any of the problems this year via trade? Are they trying to lose on purpose?

I'm not even being a smartass or anything. Trying to lose on purpose is violation of the rules, and is put in place to protect the fans
What exactly are you trying to say? Tambo is losing on purpose but hiding it?

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
  #307
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
What exactly are you trying to say? Tambo is losing on purpose but hiding it?
not the muppet GM. The owner seems to be dictating that the status quo is acceptable. How is that not contravention of the clause "must attempt to put the most competitive roster on the ice every night", when improvements can logically be made via a trade. When you're last every year, logic dictates the other teams have better players, if you don't want to trade with them you don't want to compete

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
  #308
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I just wish that the deadline would hurry up and get here so I can decide whether to stop watching or not.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:04 PM
  #309
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
not the muppet GM. The owner seems to be dictating that the status quo is acceptable. How is that not contravention of the clause "must attempt to put the most competitive roster on the ice every night", when improvements can logically be made via a trade. When you're last every year, logic dictates the other teams have better players, if you don't want to trade with them you don't want to compete
And how do you know he doesn't want to make trades? How do you know that he is forgoing improvements available in the trade market? Your just ASSUMING all this with NO PROOF. Look at the above post with the trades that have been made this year, that should make it clear to you how few and far between real NHL trades happen that can make big impacts on the team. YET, Tambo makes 2 out of 21 roster player trades this year and you still assume he's not doing anything. GET REAL.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
  #310
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
And how do you know he doesn't want to make trades? How do you know that he is forgoing improvements available in the trade market? Your just ASSUMING all this with NO PROOF. Look at the above post with the trades that have been made this year, that should make it clear to you how few and far between real NHL trades happen that can make big impacts on the team. YET, Tambo makes 2 out of 21 roster player trades this year and you still assume he's not doing anything. GET REAL.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ems-via-trade/

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
  #311
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
"As for the Oilers. Ugly last couple of games. Magnified by being on an extended road trip. The cavalry is NOT coming via trade. Horcoff will help when he returns but the team will have to look within to turn it around."

This doesn't prove that Tambo didn't try looking for a trade. Maybe the value wasn't there and that's why help won't be coming from trades. Making negative value trades is worse than making no trades at all.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
  #312
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Really? You disagree that making negative value trades is worse than making no trades at all? By all means, prove me wrong.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 03-22-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: deleted quoted post/cleanup
TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
  #313
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
where the hell did lowetide and icedragoon go

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
  #314
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
where the hell did lowetide and icedragoon go
LOL. Yeh, run to other posters cause you don't know what you are talking about, and need backup LOL.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
  #315
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
And how do you know he doesn't want to make trades? How do you know that he is forgoing improvements available in the trade market? Your just ASSUMING all this with NO PROOF. Look at the above post with the trades that have been made this year, that should make it clear to you how few and far between real NHL trades happen that can make big impacts on the team. YET, Tambo makes 2 out of 21 roster player trades this year and you still assume he's not doing anything. GET REAL.

Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.

raab is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:06 AM
  #316
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.
What exactly was he suppose to trade? We weren't exactly carrying a bounty of assets...


We don't know if Edmonton was or was not in on a trade.

Just because a possible trade exists doesn't mean the entire league is made aware of it

Just because a trade exists doesn't mean Edmonton is an ideal candidate or a candidate at all for a particular trade. Why? Because if a team got exactly what they wanted for from another, why would they need to shop any further? Or maybe it was an deal in progress.

Some of the logical fallacies that go on about MAYBE trades with the Oilers are funny to read.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:30 AM
  #317
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
What exactly was he suppose to trade? We weren't exactly carrying a bounty of assets...


We don't know if Edmonton was or was not in on a trade.

Just because a possible trade exists doesn't mean the entire league is made aware of it

Just because a trade exists doesn't mean Edmonton is an ideal candidate or a candidate at all for a particular trade. Why? Because if a team got exactly what they wanted for from another, why would they need to shop any further? Or maybe it was an deal in progress.

Some of the logical fallacies that go on about MAYBE trades with the Oilers are funny to read.
Yea except Edmonton had way higher picks then Philly. And it's Tambo's job to know what deals were available and to find deals that make this team better. Man I hate this board nowadays, all the love that management gets is ridiculous. Hell even the players get a free pass nowadays like Dubnyk. What happened to the days that Oiler fans held management and players accountable?

raab is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
  #318
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
That Nick Schultz for Talbot trade is something I could see Philly doing. Bring in some veteran depth for a team lacking it on the blue line.

Great way to dump a defenseman overpaid by 2M with a valuable bottom-6er

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 AM
  #319
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,990
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
Great post. Really puts Tambo's lack of movement in perspective to all the irrational doom and gloom posters that keep wanting him to make moves, as if they know that moves exist. I've bolded as well the MINOR LEAGUE trades to put even more perspective on this. So out of those 31 trades this year, 12 were for minor leaguers. This means, that out of the 19 trades made this year that included players that would contribute at the NHL level, Edmonton made 2 of them! And both trades improved our team, even if it was only slightly. GOOD JOB TAMBO.
whoopdie la dee da. why don't you add up the trades made in the last 3 years (the time that Tambo has iced the league's worst team) and see what he has done. He has a very weak team with very obvious deficiencies.. therefore, he needs to make more moves than the other GMs. do you think Pittsburg, Chicago, Anaheim are going to make alot of changes? How many moves did Montreal make since last year? 6? 7? I don't know, but I know it's a heluva lot more then Tambo. And what happened? they went from the bottom to the top in one summer.

no matter how you want to dress it up, during his tenure as Oilers' GM, Tambo has the worst record in the league (could be in the running for worse record in history), has made only minor moves, and has yet to make a single trade that has resulted in the team actually getting noticeably better.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
  #320
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That Nick Schultz for Talbot trade is something I could see Philly doing. Bring in some veteran depth for a team lacking it on the blue line.
Great way to dump a defenseman overpaid by 2M with a valuable bottom-6er
What an ambiguous statement. And the Oil is stacked on D?

Tedi is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:36 AM
  #321
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
whoopdie la dee da. why don't you add up the trades made in the last 3 years (the time that Tambo has iced the league's worst team) and see what he has done. He has a very weak team with very obvious deficiencies.. therefore, he needs to make more moves than the other GMs. do you think Pittsburg, Chicago, Anaheim are going to make alot of changes? How many moves did Montreal make since last year? 6? 7? I don't know, but I know it's a heluva lot more then Tambo. And what happened? they went from the bottom to the top in one summer.

no matter how you want to dress it up, during his tenure as Oilers' GM, Tambo has the worst record in the league (could be in the running for worse record in history), has made only minor moves, and has yet to make a single trade that has resulted in the team actually getting noticeably better.
Hence the term rebuilding and a very open stratedgy of building through the draft. The impatience and frustration is somewhat understandable but some of you have very selective memories. All #4 was saying is that Edmonton continues to be active, and Fistric and Brown were improvements in their roles (Fistric > Peckham and Brown > Hortichuk...IMO). Realistically the Oilers aren't in a great position to acquire any highend talent through trade because we lack high quality veteran assets so its either mortgage the future or stay the course and wait a little longer for our prospects to develope

Tedi is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
  #322
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,990
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Hence the term rebuilding and a very open stratedgy of building through the draft. The impatience and frustration is somewhat understandable but some of you have very selective memories. All #4 was saying is that Edmonton continues to be active, and Fistric and Brown were improvements in their roles (Fistric > Peckham and Brown > Hortichuk...IMO). Realistically the Oilers aren't in a great position to acquire any highend talent through trade because we lack high quality veteran assets so its either mortgage the future or stay the course and wait a little longer for our prospects to develope
solid points. but you are making excuses for having a bad record and not ever making splash via a trade. legit excuses? perhaps, but excuses nonetheless.

a monkey could have done the management job he has done thus far. no way i'm gonna slap tambo on the back till my eyes actually see some results.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 04:46 AM
  #323
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea except Edmonton had way higher picks then Philly. And it's Tambo's job to know what deals were available and to find deals that make this team better. Man I hate this board nowadays, all the love that management gets is ridiculous. Hell even the players get a free pass nowadays like Dubnyk. What happened to the days that Oiler fans held management and players accountable?
Grossman was a RENTAL when he was traded. It didn't make sense to give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a RENTAL player, it's not like we were even close to pushing for playoffs that year. Could you imagine if we had made that trade and Grossman didn't resign? Even worse a move for Tambo. In any case, that's ONE trade that maybe Edmonton could have done. Irregardless of that trade, what you have to realize is that Edmonton is still rebuilding, our team is still developing and it makes more sense to make those kind of moves when our younger guys hit their potential. This way we know exactly what we need to move towards the cup. Without making the trades you guys so badly want we are fighting for a playoff spot. That's not bad considering how it's only been 3 years since the rebuild started.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
  #324
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
solid points. but you are making excuses for having a bad record and not ever making splash via a trade. legit excuses? perhaps, but excuses nonetheless.

a monkey could have done the management job he has done thus far. no way i'm gonna slap tambo on the back till my eyes actually see some results.
The only way we make a splash is if we trade 1st or 2nd rd. picks or trade some of our recent 1st rounders. I would like to see Tambellini offload some spare parts to get the number of contracts down but we lack depth in almost every position that it would be hard to fill the lineup card with anything competitive. Hemsky and Gagner are easily our most tradeable assets but it is easy to see that our lineup now requires more vets not less of them. Although trading Hemsky while he is still healthy and playing half decent is very appealing to mgmt. I'm sure.

Tedi is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 04:51 AM
  #325
TheNumber4
Registered User
 
TheNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
solid points. but you are making excuses for having a bad record and not ever making splash via a trade. legit excuses? perhaps, but excuses nonetheless.

a monkey could have done the management job he has done thus far. no way i'm gonna slap tambo on the back till my eyes actually see some results.
I'm not here to slap Tambo on the back either, but I'm also not going to throw him under the bus. It doesn't make sense to rag on Tambo for inactivity when we are EXACTLY where we should be this far into the rebuild. We're fighting for a playoff spot, and we've made 2 trades this year so far. Trade deadline is in 2 weeks and yet people are bickering NOW and want him fired NOW. Give it some time and see where the cards fall.

TheNumber4 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.