HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I love Talbot, I do, but I'm not interested in giving up assets for a pure bottom six player. Yeah he brings leadership and a bit of heart and soul, but right now he's not what we need.

Right now, we need that elusive 2nd/3rd line physical LWer who can drive to the net and dig pucks out. Also needs to have some semblance of hands.

If that isn't available, seek a top-4 puck moving D-man for the backend.

I think apart from that, we'll sit tight. We already have too much clutter in the bottom six. Adding another bottom sixer won't help that. No matter how many nice intangibles he brings.
We have that guy though, he wears #91

Old
03-21-2013, 09:10 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So Talbot might be available.. N. Schultz for Talbot?

Then Belanger for D. Murray?
I wish

Old
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We have that guy though, he wears #91
I'd argue that he isn't there yet. But this really isn't an 'all or nothing' year. If we make the playoffs, it's definitely a bonus. But acquiring a player who in turn deprives a young guy playing well of valuable icetime would be counter-productive.

He's taking steps forward. Let him develop.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
For those of you saying that Tambo is not doing anything and is "sitting on his hands", here is a complete list of the trades that have happened so far this season.

Out of 31 trades that have taken place, the Oil have been involved in 2 of them, and I would argue that they were 2 of the better pick ups for players that have moved.

Florida acquires D T.J. Brennan for a 5th-Round Pick (2013)

Anaheim Acquires F David Steckel for F Ryan Lasch & 7th-Round Pick (2014)

Washington Acquires D Chay Genoway for Conditional 7th-Round Pick (2014)

Toronto Acquires D Kevin Marshall for F Nicolas Deschamps - Minors

Ottawa Acquires F Matt Kassian for 6th-Round Pick (2014)

Columbus Acquires F Matthew Ford for Future Considerations - Minors

Winnipeg Acquires F Tomas Kubalik for F Spencer Machacek - Minors

Edmonton Acquires F Mike Brown for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2014)

Calgary Acquires F Brian McGrattan for D Joe Piskula

Montreal Acquire F Michael Ryder & 3rd-Round Pick (2013) for F Erik Cole

Philadelphia Acquires F Simon Gagne for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2013)

Calgary Acquires F Mike Testwuide for F Mitch Wahl - Minors

Nashville Acquires D Scott Ford for F Jani Lajunen - Minors

Montreal Acquires G Dustin Tokarski for G Cedrick Desjardins - Minors

New Jersey Acquires F Alexei Ponikarovsky for 7th-Round Pick (2013) 4th-Round Pick (2014)

Winnipeg Acquires F Eric Tangradi for 7th-Round Pick (2013)

Los Angeles Acquires D Keaton Ellerby for 5th-Round Pick (2013)

NY Islanders G Tim Thomas for 2nd-Round Pick (2014 or 2015)

Anaheim Acquires D Ben Lovejoy for 5th-Round Pick (2014)

New Jersey Acquires F Andrei Loktionov for 5th-Round Pick (2013)

Minnesota Acquires F Mike Rupp for F Darroll Powe F Nick Palmieri

Washington Acquires F Peter LeBlanc for F Mathieu Beaudoin - Minors

Washington Acquires F Casey Wellman for F Zach Hamill - Minors

Dallas Acquires F Carl Sneep for Conditional 7th-Round Pick - Minors

Pittsburgh Acquires F Chad Kolarik January 24 F Benn Ferriero - Minors

Chicago Acquires G Henrik Karlsson for 7th-Round Pick (2013) - Minors

Tampa Bay Acquires F Jean-Francois Jacques for Future Considerations - Minors

Phoenix Acquires F Matthew Lombardi for Conditional 4th-Round Pick (2014)

San Jose Acquires F Tommy Grant, Conditional Draft Pick (2014) for F Brandon Mashinter - Minors

Edmonton Acquires D Mark Fistric for 3rd Round Pick (2013)

Carolina Acquires F Kevin Westgarth for F Anthony Stewart 4th-Round Pick (2013) 6th-Round Pick (2014)

Philadelphia Acquires G Brian Boucher D Mark Alt for F Luke Pither

One could argue that the Oil might be able to use a couple guys off of this list, but there hasen't been any earth shattering moves or anything involving anyone that would really solve any of the Oilers problems right now.

There are too many teams that still think they're "in it" and the players just aren't moving right now. Once a few teams start to drop off in the next week we may see more moves start to happen.

And as Dan Rosen quoted Tambellini at the GM meetings, it sounds like if he can pick something up to help the team moving forward he will do it.

There's just nothing out there right now.
Great post. Really puts Tambo's lack of movement in perspective to all the irrational doom and gloom posters that keep wanting him to make moves, as if they know that moves exist. I've bolded as well the MINOR LEAGUE trades to put even more perspective on this. So out of those 31 trades this year, 12 were for minor leaguers. This means, that out of the 19 trades made this year that included players that would contribute at the NHL level, Edmonton made 2 of them! And both trades improved our team, even if it was only slightly. GOOD JOB TAMBO.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Why would they come out and say that they're not looking to solve any of the problems this year via trade? Are they trying to lose on purpose?

I'm not even being a smartass or anything. Trying to lose on purpose is violation of the competition rules.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
Why would they come out and say that they're not looking to solve any of the problems this year via trade? Are they trying to lose on purpose?

I'm not even being a smartass or anything. Trying to lose on purpose is violation of the rules, and is put in place to protect the fans
What exactly are you trying to say? Tambo is losing on purpose but hiding it?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
What exactly are you trying to say? Tambo is losing on purpose but hiding it?
not the muppet GM. The owner seems to be dictating that the status quo is acceptable. How is that not contravention of the clause "must attempt to put the most competitive roster on the ice every night", when improvements can logically be made via a trade. When you're last every year, logic dictates the other teams have better players, if you don't want to trade with them you don't want to compete

Old
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I just wish that the deadline would hurry up and get here so I can decide whether to stop watching or not.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:04 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
not the muppet GM. The owner seems to be dictating that the status quo is acceptable. How is that not contravention of the clause "must attempt to put the most competitive roster on the ice every night", when improvements can logically be made via a trade. When you're last every year, logic dictates the other teams have better players, if you don't want to trade with them you don't want to compete
And how do you know he doesn't want to make trades? How do you know that he is forgoing improvements available in the trade market? Your just ASSUMING all this with NO PROOF. Look at the above post with the trades that have been made this year, that should make it clear to you how few and far between real NHL trades happen that can make big impacts on the team. YET, Tambo makes 2 out of 21 roster player trades this year and you still assume he's not doing anything. GET REAL.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Quote:
And how do you know he doesn't want to make trades? How do you know that he is forgoing improvements available in the trade market? Your just ASSUMING all this with NO PROOF. Look at the above post with the trades that have been made this year, that should make it clear to you how few and far between real NHL trades happen that can make big impacts on the team. YET, Tambo makes 2 out of 21 roster player trades this year and you still assume he's not doing anything. GET REAL.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ems-via-trade/

Old
03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
"As for the Oilers. Ugly last couple of games. Magnified by being on an extended road trip. The cavalry is NOT coming via trade. Horcoff will help when he returns but the team will have to look within to turn it around."

This doesn't prove that Tambo didn't try looking for a trade. Maybe the value wasn't there and that's why help won't be coming from trades. Making negative value trades is worse than making no trades at all.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
TheNumber4

Really? You disagree that making negative value trades is worse than making no trades at all? By all means, prove me wrong.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 03-22-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: deleted quoted post/cleanup
Old
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

where the hell did lowetide and icedragoon go

Old
03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
where the hell did lowetide and icedragoon go
LOL. Yeh, run to other posters cause you don't know what you are talking about, and need backup LOL.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:06 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.
What exactly was he suppose to trade? We weren't exactly carrying a bounty of assets...

We don't know if Edmonton was or was not in on a trade.

Just because a possible trade exists doesn't mean the entire league is made aware of it

Just because a trade exists doesn't mean Edmonton is an ideal candidate or a candidate at all for a particular trade. Why? Because if a team got exactly what they wanted for from another, why would they need to shop any further? Or maybe it was an deal in progress.

Some of the logical fallacies that go on about MAYBE trades with the Oilers are funny to read.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:30 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
What exactly was he suppose to trade? We weren't exactly carrying a bounty of assets...

We don't know if Edmonton was or was not in on a trade.

Just because a possible trade exists doesn't mean the entire league is made aware of it

Just because a trade exists doesn't mean Edmonton is an ideal candidate or a candidate at all for a particular trade. Why? Because if a team got exactly what they wanted for from another, why would they need to shop any further? Or maybe it was an deal in progress.

Some of the logical fallacies that go on about MAYBE trades with the Oilers are funny to read.
Yea except Edmonton had way higher picks then Philly. And it's Tambo's job to know what deals were available and to find deals that make this team better. Man I hate this board nowadays, all the love that management gets is ridiculous. Hell even the players get a free pass nowadays like Dubnyk. What happened to the days that Oiler fans held management and players accountable?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

That Nick Schultz for Talbot trade is something I could see Philly doing. Bring in some veteran depth for a team lacking it on the blue line.

Great way to dump a defenseman overpaid by 2M with a valuable bottom-6er

Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Great post. Really puts Tambo's lack of movement in perspective to all the irrational doom and gloom posters that keep wanting him to make moves, as if they know that moves exist. I've bolded as well the MINOR LEAGUE trades to put even more perspective on this. So out of those 31 trades this year, 12 were for minor leaguers. This means, that out of the 19 trades made this year that included players that would contribute at the NHL level, Edmonton made 2 of them! And both trades improved our team, even if it was only slightly. GOOD JOB TAMBO.
whoopdie la dee da. why don't you add up the trades made in the last 3 years (the time that Tambo has iced the league's worst team) and see what he has done. He has a very weak team with very obvious deficiencies.. therefore, he needs to make more moves than the other GMs. do you think Pittsburg, Chicago, Anaheim are going to make alot of changes? How many moves did Montreal make since last year? 6? 7? I don't know, but I know it's a heluva lot more then Tambo. And what happened? they went from the bottom to the top in one summer.

no matter how you want to dress it up, during his tenure as Oilers' GM, Tambo has the worst record in the league (could be in the running for worse record in history), has made only minor moves, and has yet to make a single trade that has resulted in the team actually getting noticeably better.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That Nick Schultz for Talbot trade is something I could see Philly doing. Bring in some veteran depth for a team lacking it on the blue line.
Great way to dump a defenseman overpaid by 2M with a valuable bottom-6er
What an ambiguous statement. And the Oil is stacked on D?

Old
03-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
whoopdie la dee da. why don't you add up the trades made in the last 3 years (the time that Tambo has iced the league's worst team) and see what he has done. He has a very weak team with very obvious deficiencies.. therefore, he needs to make more moves than the other GMs. do you think Pittsburg, Chicago, Anaheim are going to make alot of changes? How many moves did Montreal make since last year? 6? 7? I don't know, but I know it's a heluva lot more then Tambo. And what happened? they went from the bottom to the top in one summer.

no matter how you want to dress it up, during his tenure as Oilers' GM, Tambo has the worst record in the league (could be in the running for worse record in history), has made only minor moves, and has yet to make a single trade that has resulted in the team actually getting noticeably better.
Hence the term rebuilding and a very open stratedgy of building through the draft. The impatience and frustration is somewhat understandable but some of you have very selective memories. All #4 was saying is that Edmonton continues to be active, and Fistric and Brown were improvements in their roles (Fistric > Peckham and Brown > Hortichuk...IMO). Realistically the Oilers aren't in a great position to acquire any highend talent through trade because we lack high quality veteran assets so its either mortgage the future or stay the course and wait a little longer for our prospects to develope

Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Hence the term rebuilding and a very open stratedgy of building through the draft. The impatience and frustration is somewhat understandable but some of you have very selective memories. All #4 was saying is that Edmonton continues to be active, and Fistric and Brown were improvements in their roles (Fistric > Peckham and Brown > Hortichuk...IMO). Realistically the Oilers aren't in a great position to acquire any highend talent through trade because we lack high quality veteran assets so its either mortgage the future or stay the course and wait a little longer for our prospects to develope
solid points. but you are making excuses for having a bad record and not ever making splash via a trade. legit excuses? perhaps, but excuses nonetheless.

a monkey could have done the management job he has done thus far. no way i'm gonna slap tambo on the back till my eyes actually see some results.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:46 AM
TheNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea except Edmonton had way higher picks then Philly. And it's Tambo's job to know what deals were available and to find deals that make this team better. Man I hate this board nowadays, all the love that management gets is ridiculous. Hell even the players get a free pass nowadays like Dubnyk. What happened to the days that Oiler fans held management and players accountable?
Grossman was a RENTAL when he was traded. It didn't make sense to give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a RENTAL player, it's not like we were even close to pushing for playoffs that year. Could you imagine if we had made that trade and Grossman didn't resign? Even worse a move for Tambo. In any case, that's ONE trade that maybe Edmonton could have done. Irregardless of that trade, what you have to realize is that Edmonton is still rebuilding, our team is still developing and it makes more sense to make those kind of moves when our younger guys hit their potential. This way we know exactly what we need to move towards the cup. Without making the trades you guys so badly want we are fighting for a playoff spot. That's not bad considering how it's only been 3 years since the rebuild started.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Tedi

Quote:
solid points. but you are making excuses for having a bad record and not ever making splash via a trade. legit excuses? perhaps, but excuses nonetheless.

a monkey could have done the management job he has done thus far. no way i'm gonna slap tambo on the back till my eyes actually see some results.
The only way we make a splash is if we trade 1st or 2nd rd. picks or trade some of our recent 1st rounders. I would like to see Tambellini offload some spare parts to get the number of contracts down but we lack depth in almost every position that it would be hard to fill the lineup card with anything competitive. Hemsky and Gagner are easily our most tradeable assets but it is easy to see that our lineup now requires more vets not less of them. Although trading Hemsky while he is still healthy and playing half decent is very appealing to mgmt. I'm sure.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:51 AM
TheNumber4

Quote:

I'm not here to slap Tambo on the back either, but I'm also not going to throw him under the bus. It doesn't make sense to rag on Tambo for inactivity when we are EXACTLY where we should be this far into the rebuild. We're fighting for a playoff spot, and we've made 2 trades this year so far. Trade deadline is in 2 weeks and yet people are bickering NOW and want him fired NOW. Give it some time and see where the cards fall.

Closed Thread