HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal's rivalries with Toronto/Boston

Old
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
HabstuckinTO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I thought Claude Lemieux was a punk too. Sure he won his share of cups, but there is a right way to do things - his and Tucker's way isn't right.

Cap
Agreed, Capitano. Lemieux had some great moments as a Hab, especially in the playoffs. Having said that, there was always a part of me that just couldn't embrace him as a player. The fake injuries were tough to watch. I wanted to like him as a Hab, but...

Tucker left Mtl early in his career but at the time I thought he was a mid talent feisty player - good to have on your team. I had no problem with him but he was not a great loss. The whole Side-show Bob craziness in Toronto, though, was embarassing. It's the kind of thing that should curl your toes if you were a fan of the team.

I think we should all remember, though, that Pat Quinn coached the Leafs at the time. He was a whiner (I would hope no one denies that) and therefore his team felt it was ok to whine. Tucker went too far with it until the league officials came up with the "Side-show Bob" handle. He probably didn't expect that, but I'm sure it brought him down to earth.

He is one of the players I would have a major problem with were he traded to the Habs. Lindros is there as well.

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
BruinsCupNow

I have a three-way interest in this thread.

I'm a big Bruins fan. I live in Toronto and loathe the Leafs. My wife is from Montreal and a family of Habs fanatics. And I was the biggest Expos fan outside of Quebec.

Talk about a schizoid life!

I love almost everything about Montreal...EXCEPT for the Habs (sorry, guys). I have lots of respect for Les Glorieux and everything the Canadiens have accomplished, but you've made too many of my 40 years miserable by beating us repeatedly. So....many of you may not consider the Bruins much of a rival...but I sure consider the Habs one. And I'll cheer against them versus any team except for the Leafs. And possibly the Flyers and Oilers.

Oh, by the way? Boston itself is a lovely city. Great place to visit....

--BCN

BruinsCupNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabstuckinTO View Post
Ah, yes. Tucker. Here is my favourite all-time D'arcy Tucker moment.

http://kovykillstucker.ytmnd.com/
Lol I was just thinking how awesome that was. I remember watching it live and yelling out. Can you imagine Tucker trying to stick handle that long, to get Kovalev? I think it speaks to the skill of Kovalev to take out his anger on Tucker, by stickhandling through the opposing team just to get to him.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:08 PM
OvechkinDomination*

Darcy Tucker is ownage.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:10 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Check the penalty totals during the last few years to see who has been short changed!!
Exactly, if they are allowed so many freebees per game and STILL have a high penalty rating, just goes to show how dirty they play!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:25 PM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Lol I was just thinking how awesome that was. I remember watching it live and yelling out. Can you imagine Tucker trying to stick handle that long, to get Kovalev? I think it speaks to the skill of Kovalev to take out his anger on Tucker, by stickhandling through the opposing team just to get to him.
Let's just say that all 3 of my kids were awoken just after that hit. You can't buy that stuff.

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
se7en*

What about hatred for the Nordiques? Were those games more intense than Habs/Leafs? I heard great stories about this storied rivalry. Even stuff like how fans associated the colours of each team with their political leanings. Now that's hardcore!

se7en* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
What about hatred for the Nordiques? Were those games more intense than Habs/Leafs? I heard great stories about this storied rivalry. Even stuff like how fans associated the colours of each team with their political leanings. Now that's hardcore!
I was too young to really hate the Nords. I was 10 or 11 when they left... so...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Covenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Exactly, if they are allowed so many freebees per game and STILL have a high penalty rating, just goes to show how dirty they play!
Highly intellectual analysis...thanks for the imput!!!!!!

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The Leafs and Bruins are 1 thing,I could not compare them to another team from that city. I don't care about Basketball,but my favorite team is San Antonio(I just liked the name when I was young and then 4-5 years later they are the best team in the NBA). If the Raptors do well I would be happy for them.I don't care it's the only canadian team in the NBA and I want them to do well I d'ont care about the City it self.

Also even worse I like the Red Sox and im a really big time Patriots fan.Been all my life and go watch a football game every season.I love the Pats it's the sport and team I cheer the most for after the Habs.We don't have an NFL team so you can cheer for any team who cares for the city.You cheer for the Jets(sorry) the Rangers are an NHL original 6 and we don't like the Rags so why do you cheer for the Jets?

BTW,the Pats are Bleue-Blanc-Rouge
I have nothing against the Rangers. We don't have that big of a history with them. Not like Boston and Toronto..

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Highly intellectual analysis...thanks for the imput!!!!!!
Anytime!!!!!!!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Iced_Capp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Well, I hate the Leafs more than any other professional sports team, but I do consider myself a Blue Jays (and a lesser extent, Raptors) fan. I don't have a hate on for the city or people (unless they are in Maple Leaf fan mode) of Toronto.
same here.

Iced_Capp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Habsaholic

I have been to Boston, the city is a turdhole, at least around the Garden, Th eold Boston Garden was a rat infested hole. I had a drunk 40+yr old pick a fight with me at a wrestling match because I wore a Habs jersey, he dumped a beer over my head. I also recently got tossed from sports bars for wearing a Habs jersey.

Boston sucks

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I hate absolutely everything related to sports about Toronto. I hate the Leafs and since I went to TO to watch my Yankees against the Jays, I hate the Jays and their bandwaggonners of fans. I got insulted multiple times by drunk fans because I was wearing a Yankees' jersey. The city of Toronto is boring but I don't hate it. Toronto sports fan are cocky and annoying.

I hate the Bruins and being a Yankee fan I hate the Red Sox with a passion but I respect the city of Boston and I'm even a big Patriots' fan. People I met from Boston were always cool and I had alot of fun talking baseball or hockey with them.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 10:27 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'll say that many on the Bruins board may say they hate the Habs but as someone who has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and played alot of organized hockey and am an extrovert- most of the folks I come in contact with love the city of Montreal and like and respect the Habs. We need the Habs- just like Red Sox fans need the Yankees. I'm sorry but it's sports, not Global Warming or War or other bad stuff- it's fun and without competition and rivalries what good is it. Go to a movie or play if you want to know the outcome before hand. I'm all for the Habs being great- just not ahead of Boston. I can say when Boston gets bumped I can root for the Habs or any other story I may like. When you are in your 40's like me, Wally, and McPhee you tend to have fond memories of these two teams as if great heavyweight fighters in their prime- that is how I look at the Habs, they were in my youth mystical figures and as someone who looks up to no one but admires great traits in many that is pretty cool to hang on to.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote