HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for nothing

Old
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

vCash: 500
Kaberle for nothing

I'm wondering if Kaberle was ever waived, would any team be willing to claim him?

This is just out of pure curiosity as we are most likely going to buy him out at the end of the season.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Perhaps, but it'll probably be best to keep him for depth in-case we lose another puck-moving D-man.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
FanHabtic

He'll be bought out in the off season. I don't see the point of trying to trade someone who has negative value.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Perhaps, but it'll probably be best to keep him for depth in-case we lose another puck-moving D-man.
this right here. he's not getting traded. he'll be used as depth in case of injuries.

we need all the help we can get if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
this right here. he's not getting traded. he'll be used as depth in case of injuries.

we need all the help we can get if we want to go deep in the playoffs.
I actually haven't thought of that, lol.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Taras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
I'm wondering if Kaberle was ever waived, would any team be willing to claim him?

This is just out of pure curiosity as we are most likely going to buy him out at the end of the season.
I would take Kaby back (Leafs), the guy deserves to retire here.
What happened to him anyways? why is he a liability all of a sudden?
He was always sick on the Leafs, even though I'd like to see him take more shots.

WE STILL LOVE YOU KABY!

Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:33 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Doug Wilson still wants him I think.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
He was always sick on the Leafs, even though I'd like to see him take more shots.
Yeah, you're thinking of Stralman, the next Lidstrom guy...

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:06 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:

WE STILL LOVE YOU KABY!
This happened:

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:42 AM
kihei

vCash: 3219
Somebody back there a ways suggested a Kaberle/Komisarek trade, which I actually thought might not be a bad idea. For about 30 seconds anyway. Still, it has an almost poetic sense of proportion to it. It is almost the equivalent of nothing for nothing these days.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:51 AM
OneSharpMarble

Still an nhl level puck moving dman. If he gets bought out he will get another contract at around 1.5mil and be a third pairing guy with a decent amount of time on the PP. The amount of hate he gets from the hab fan base is downright laughable/embarrassing.

Quote:

WE STILL LOVE YOU KABY!
Hab fanbase, anything else need to be said? Same people who constantly attacked koivu and now price at the drop of a hat.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Change of scenery might do him good. So if the contract is not awful, you could actually get something in trade for him!

Kulleroinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
What happened to him anyways?
Cam Janssen

Quote:
why is he a liability all of a sudden?

He wasn't sick on the Leafs at the end, he was a deteriorating player, and has continued.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:51 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

WE STILL LOVE YOU KABY!
Subban, Markov, Diaz happened. He just got passed over to be honest. He isnt really a liability, in fact when he has played he did ok. The Habs just have better options at this point.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:02 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Still an nhl level puck moving dman. If he gets bought out he will get another contract at around 1.5mil and be a third pairing guy with a decent amount of time on the PP. The amount of hate he gets from the hab fan base is downright laughable/embarrassing.

Hab fanbase, anything else need to be said? Same people who constantly attacked koivu and now price at the drop of a hat.
So the Hab fanbase made him play badly in Carolina and Boston?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Thanks again for taking him off our hands.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

... I know your Gauthier idolization is enormous but... you just compared Kaberle to Koivu? Good god.

Koivu was our captain, arguably the best player on the roster short of Markov and among the best leaders and inspirations in the sport given his history - Anaheim fans love him almost as much as we do. Kaberle is a shell of his former self: weak defensive, useless in his own zone, rarely shoots, slow and just overall a terrible player right now. Koivu, oh he's having close to a career year (prorated).

Only some (and I stress this) Hab fans attacked Koivu because he did not speak French and that is near blasphemy in this Province sometimes. Kaberle is hated because he's useless.

To answer the OP. He would clear waivers, as teams anticipate us buying him out and thus if they wanted a depth defenseman, could sign him at a cheap contract on a trial basis. Why commit dollars to term when you don't have to? Kaberle is the missing piece to no one's roster.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

No reason to get rid of him right now unless they plan on using the remaining compliance buyout on someone else or they need additional cap room right now.

Otherwise, he's depth in the event of injuries for the remainder of the season.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:34 AM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

What the hell happened to this guy?

I remember right after he got traded to the bruins I was at the team practice in Wilmington and I walked up to his car to get a stick signed that I was having the whole team autograph and I accidentally clipped the door of his BMW with it

Guy hasn't played the same since

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

He has played 10 games this year, all year in the season and he bad really really well.

3 points in 10 games, and he barely got any pp time, he would be on the 2nd unit of the pp that would get like the last 30 seconds.

He is very soft in his own end, but is decent positional, I believe he actually has only be on the ice for 1 goal against this whole year.

He showed last year, that he can put on points on the pp, had 22 points in 40 something games a Hab.

IMO if a team is looking for a 5-6 D-men but can qb ur PP, can probaly get you 35-40 points a year, than he is a good option. And I actually think the Habs could have gotten a 3rd round pick, maybe even a 2nd round pick (see Zidlicky trade for reference), if they played him more, but they are just better opitions, and I think Mtl would rather have him sit and know they can buy him out instead of show casing him and getting a mid round but risk him getting hurt, and not being able to buy him out because of it.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post

He's got another yr left,on a fat salary.

The only way I see any team biting would be if Montreal ate half the salary. Even then, I'm wondering if teams don't prefer to wait and see if there are cheaper options this summer.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:49 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:

The amount of ******** you see on these boards....

He was bad before he got here, but nah, it's our fault, the fans made the player bad... OK buddy...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:01 AM
HABSFTW

When your calling up kids from the AHL and he's sitting on the side lines, you can see his value on the market. The only reason someone would trade for Kab is if money is coming back, which Montreal doesn't want.

He'll sit and be bought out.

HABSFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:19 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Flames will give you Babchuk or Sarich in return for Kaberle and our 2nd rounder.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
He'll be bought out in the off season. I don't see the point of trying to trade someone who has negative value.
Well, there's plenty of point in _trying_ to trade him. It will cost Mr. Molson $3M to buy him out in June. I'm sure Mr. Molson would rather see him traded, therefore.

I still think he is getting a bit of an unfair rap from many Habs fans, however (and that then spills over to other non-Habs fans who read that). He was a bit sluggish last year, but still scored at a reasonable clip. But he looks quicker this year. He could still be a viable poor-man's power-play QB if you were stuck for one, IMHO. He moves the puck well enough. His shortcoming is really only in terms of being too soft in his own zone. Habs have never had the right pairing to shelter him on. But maybe some other team could.

I doubt anybody would have a problem with Kaberle if he was in your lineup, playing 15-18 mins in sheltered matchups, PP time, no PK, and with a solid physical D partner. Well, and he was earning about $1.75M instead of $4.25M.

Habs have all the PP guys they need, however. And all the soft guys they can manage. So Kaberle can't play this year. And the staff seems to like the idea of keeping a strict L/R split, so when Markov, Gorges, and Bouillon are healthy, they don't seem to want to move Kaberle to RD. But it's also a good time for the Habs to audition their future defense, given there isn't much pressure to win on the Habs right now.

I don't think teams with openings for a PMD should shy away from Kaberle based on his ability, anyway. He can play. Enough. But it's certainly very reasonable to shy away from him on $$$. It's real money to teams, and whether you look at it as paying him $3M more than he deserves next season, or as the $3M buyout money, then I don't know how many teams who might be in the market for a depth PMD would want to lose $3M in the bargain.

At the same time, Habs have pretty good revenues and it's really not _that_ much of an issue to just buy him out in the summer, so I don't see them making any negative value trades or holding any money back on the cap.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote