HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Any truth/reason to believe the Comrie rumors?

Old
08-04-2006, 10:01 PM
jnyr

vCash: 500
Any truth/reason to believe the Comrie rumors?

I realize he was just signed, but I heard someone say that since he was signed it is more likely he will be traded. Eklund said the Rangers were one of the three teams interested in him, any reason to believe this could happen? Would this be a good thing for the Rangers? Thanks alot.

jnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Levitate

have mixed feelings about comrie...he's a good player, but dunno if i'd call him a 1st line center. he seems to have some issues and bounces around a lot from team to team. he'd be a legit 2nd line center for the rangers, but at what cost and how long would he last...he always seems to be on the move

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Not too interested in Comrie. Why would they trade him after he had a good season? Something doesn't sit right with that.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

What is a 60 point a year player worth? I don't think he is that much better than what we already have. Although I bet the Rangers would trade Immonen plus a minor prospect for him. A sure thing 60 point guy for a maybe 60 point guy could make a lot of sense to the Rangers but not to me.

Is a small 60 point scorer worth 3 million bucks to the Rangers?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:16 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I don't like the way he's so young yet already playing for his 3rd team.

Although I do like the fact that he's already had two 30-goal seasons.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:17 PM
jnyr

any reason to believe that this could happen though? i personally dont know much about comrie other than that hes a a fairly solid forward, but if the rangers are going to make another deal (which they may not) who will it be, or what kind of player are they looking for?

Old
08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
boyd

comrie is a great young player... no way phoenix will trade him, 30 gaols twice and a couple 60 point seasons with a 20 and 50 point season too... he's only 25! he took less to settle before arb because he like's phoenix. sound good to me!

boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
jnyr

Any news on the Rangers being interested in Marleau or any other big names?

Old
08-04-2006, 10:57 PM
funky

I would take Marleau in a nano second. He has size speed and scoring ability but he would be costly. I have never been a fan of Comrie since his time with the Oilers. He is a good player but his trouble in Edmonton tarnished him in my books. He is small and needs others around him to make him better. For the pricetag let Immonen develop.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd View Post
comrie is a great young player... no way phoenix will trade him, 30 gaols twice and a couple 60 point seasons with a 20 and 50 point season too... he's only 25! he took less to settle before arb because he like's phoenix. sound good to me!
but remember, this is the same kid who used the UFA loophole before his first season, and turned NY down. Dont know if he would want to play here.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
frozenrubber

I won't talk about the Comrie/Oilers debacle. Frankly, that got over both his and Lowes head and most people unfortunately pin that fiasco forever on him. I've moved on.

However, I don't like Mike Comrie at all. I watched a bunch of Coyote games and the kid is just lazy. While goals are goals, he was more of a reciprient of his team's work then his own. For an undersized center, I want a certain type of player. When all is said, his physical package and his on & off playing style leave much to be desired.

While not a completely similar player in style, if you looked purely at stats, one would argue you would want Petr Nedved on your team. But, if you ever saw what Nedved brings to a team, you wouldn't. Comrie is that type of player.

One more thing, ignore his time in Philly. The games he played there weren't a great sampling of what he's about.

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:25 PM
shoothepuck

Not a fan of a small lazy center.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
but remember, this is the same kid who used the UFA loophole before his first season, and turned NY down. Dont know if he would want to play here.
He used the loop-hole technically, but never became an UFA. He left Michigan for the WHL, and the Oilers had until January 1st to sign him if they wanted him in the NHL that season, or he'd be a free agent on June 1st. Sather was very much interested at the time and had an offer on the table for Lowe, but Edmonton came to terms with him at the last minute. He never turned down the Rangers because he was never a free agent. Had negotiations stalled, I'm pretty sure he would have been traded to the Rangers. Sather was with Edmonton when they drafted him, and is a friend of Comrie's family.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
He used the loop-hole technically, but never became an UFA. He left Michigan for the WHL, and the Oilers had until January 1st to sign him if they wanted him in the NHL that season, or he'd be a free agent on June 1st. Sather was very much interested at the time and had an offer on the table for Lowe, but Edmonton came to terms with him at the last minute. He never turned down the Rangers because he was never a free agent. Had negotiations stalled, I'm pretty sure he would have been traded to the Rangers. Sather was with Edmonton when they drafted him, and is a friend of Comrie's family.
Plus back then the Rangers had no winning culture, now that they are proven to be winners it might also change his mind.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 07:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
That's the reason I wouldn't rule out such a deal taking place. Plus, this in not an aging vet we're talking about. Put him next to Shanny and perhaps Hall on the 2nd line, and you've got a major upgrade over last year, which allows you to not rush Dubinsky.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 09:07 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post
Plus back then the Rangers had no winning culture, now that they are proven to be winners it might also change his mind.
I think it will take more than one season of winning to be considered a winner. But our organization has made leaps and bounds over the perception of 12 months ago.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

As an Oilers/Rangers fan, I can honestly say that unless he's improved his D and effort a great deal since his time in Edmonton (a possibility) I would not want to see him on the rangers. The silly plays, things he did where the kind of things that wheren't immediately obvious but where still just lazy as and poor as the worst turn over. He would give up on back checks, leave the D zone before we had possession, give poor support for outlet passes... and worst of all he never seemed to want to improve. Granted, it's been a while so he may have changed a great deal, but unless he has this team should not buy into him... esp. at 3 million a year.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote